The CW Orders Early Renewals for Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Arrow

Get More: News, Renewals

blog_cw_combo_2.11.13The CW on Monday announced early pick-ups for three of its seriesSupernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Arrow.

Arrow gave The CW its best series premiere since 2009, Vampire Diaries is the network’s highest-rated show in target demos and Supernatural is up 15 percent in total audience versus last season. The dramas will be entering their second, fifth and ninth seasons in fall 2013, respectively.

RELATED | CW Pilots Include Vampire Diaries Spin-Off, Adaptations of The Selection and The Hundred

“We said last year that one of our goals was to establish building blocks to grow on, and now with our new hit Arrow and fan favorite Supernatural on Wednesday night, and the continued success of The Vampire Diaries on Thursday, we’ve been able to do that,” network president Mark Pedowitz said in a statement. “Not only do Arrow, Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries perform well on-air, they’re also extremely successful for us both digitally and socially. I’m thrilled to have all three shows returning to our schedule next season.”

TVLine’s always-fresh Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated.

Which of these renewals are you most excited about? And which CW series do you think deserves a pick-up next?

Comments (384)

• we want the beauty & the beast second seosen…..

Comment by Emad – February 12, 2013 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why isnt Beauty and the Beast getting a second season I think. It’s the best by far !

Comment by Michelle Scott-Morrison – February 12, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please Nikita and Beauty and the Beast!! Please

Comment by Duda – February 12, 2013 01:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA ALL THE WAY FOR SEASON 4!!!

Comment by Georgia Gazeta (@NickName_Gogo) – February 12, 2013 02:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NEED MY VAMPIRE DIARIES
    BEST SHOW EVER!

Comment by Mamamia – February 12, 2013 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, it looks like I need to start watching Arrow. I’ve been meaning to watch Supernatural for a long time. I started out watching TVD and then missed some shows and go so behind that I quit watching it. I’ll have to take an offseason and catch up. My favorites of the remaining are Hart of Dixie and Beauty and the Beast.

Comment by Tonya – February 12, 2013 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for TVD!! i LOVE this show!

Comment by Jason – February 12, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic news about Supernatural!

Comment by pinetree3 – February 12, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beauty and The Beast better get renewed!! Yay for Supernatural!

Comment by Eric – February 12, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think nikita deserves to be renewed, it’s an amazing show and gets better with each episode, and it never get the credit it deserves.

Comment by saba – February 12, 2013 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic news. Arrow is an incredible show, this coming from someone who faithfully watches Breaking Bad and Walking Dead

Comment by Hibsta – February 12, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I picked B &TB because it still has potential.I would have picked Nikita but S3 so far is AWFUL and they had their “Jump The Shark” moment when Nikita cut Micheal’s hand off and they are now trying to “regrow” it.This is just stupid.If S3 is this stupid because the writers can’t write,how awful will S4 be if it gets picked up?I say let it go now before it gets any dumber.

Comment by pink – February 12, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think BATB is the most worthy of a renewal. I think creatively it has the most potential moving forward as a series. They’re bringing in new actors to the series soon who are really talented which will bring new life into the show. I think the series in a way is still finding their footing, but I believe they’ll find it. Over the summer they have the chance to get more viewers. I think Nikita is a fantastic show, and would love to see season 4, BUT I could also see based on story lines how it would be possible to end the show by season’s end. Same with Hart of Dixie. It’s a cute show, but they’ve already gotten Wade and Zoe together. Now there seems to be a bit of a slump on the show that you would expect on a series around season 5 or 6. They’ve made it less about quirky people in the town and more about who will sleep with who next. Personally, I liked the second half of season one better. The love triangle was believable. Now, it’s become kind of contrived IMO. Anyway, they had the chance this season to pick up the series and get better ratings. They haven’t. So wouldn’t picking it up for a third season mean they’ll probably have to commit to a fourth? As much as I’ve enjoyed the show, they could easily come up with an ending for the show by season’s end, since they are already in a place a lot of shows would be in season 4 or 5. 90210 does not deserve any kind of pickup. Today it’s even down to a .3. No one is watching it and deservedly so. It’s horrendous. They can write an ending by season’s end. That is all. As for The Carrie Diaries, I think it should also go. It just feels like a show that would have done well a few years ago. Besides, based on the new pilots being made, the network seems like it’s going in a more genre driven direction, so…Personally I say renew BATB, and possibly Nikita, and do a clean sweep of the rest of the shows (while telling the writers in advance to give each of the shows a fitting end).

Comment by AT – February 12, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita better get renewed it’s the best show on Fridays. The CW line up is so weak as it is. ARROW is the best show on the network then NIkita. Vampire Diaries totally jumped the shark this season. Elena is so annoying I’d like to stake her myself.

Comment by Beth – February 12, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree with you Beth, Elena is so annoying this season, I have lost faith in the show. Which is a shame, because it started as a good show in season 1 and 2.

Comment by Kate75 – February 12, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need Hart of Dixie Season 3! I really hope that we will get good news soon….

Comment by Zadefan – February 12, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA come on!

Comment by jasonwang – February 12, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do watch 90210, but I’m not gonna vote. Just let this be the final season, I’m already tired with all the storylines and their so called SPECIAL (but actually USELESS) Guest Celebrities and concerts every week. Same old crap.

Comment by loonie – February 13, 2013 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well Although this maybe completely off topic but what I Really Really Really wanna see come back For The 11th Season Is Smallville Or At Lease A Different Name But Same Characters Now That Would Be The Best TV Series To Return Specially With All The Young People Just Now Starting To Watch It I Watched It About 5 Times Already And Could Watch It Again.. My 2 Kids (3&5) Freaking Love It Just Finished It And They Said It Cant End Like That We Wanna See Him Fly LOL Little Did They Know The Series Has Ended And Green Arrow Has Picked Up Love That Show Can’t Wait Til It Airs And Vampire Diaries, & Of Course Heart Of Dixie My Favorites..

Comment by Smallvillefan4life – February 13, 2013 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Arrow. I also watch Nikita, HoD, & Beauty and the Beast. If only one can get renewed I hope it’s Hart of Dixie.

Comment by Candice – February 13, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please beauty and the beast season 2

Comment by Miriam – February 13, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beauty and the Beast, man I love that show

Comment by Kate – February 13, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These 3 shows are by far the best on CW at the time, though Supernatural is simply the best))

Comment by Vic – February 14, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Hart of Dixie!!

Comment by Esperanza – February 14, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice! I can see arrow here!! By the way, I agree that Nikita is much better than TVD(though I like Stefan very much ) .as u know,there are plenty of fans are looking forward to watching season4 of Nikita .nothing is more important for us than to wait for Nikki . And now, we are counting on CW. So please just give Nikita a chance. (^O^)/an audience from Peking .

Comment by TraitorRogue – February 14, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why the hell is NIKITA’s mark lower and lower guys?It used to be No.2 and the number is about to get 26 percent, but look at the chart now! What happened? Did someone hacked the damn website or something like that?! NIKITA is a great TV series, if you watch it, you’ll know, it’s worth renewing.

Comment by Cinderella – February 14, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have the same idea. I kept voting and kept seeing the numbering felling. I have no idea what’s happened. So just let me know that whether I vote for the wrong episode???

Comment by sharonchou – February 14, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita ! Yeah! Nikita ! Yeah! Nikita ! Yeah!
    I love Nikita ! Yeah!

Comment by ddd8167300ttt – February 14, 2013 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 你们好,我是尼基塔的中国粉丝。Hi, I am NIKITA fanz from china. There are huge amount of NIKITA fanz in china who don’t really know the renewal rules for America tv series. So they won’t have opportunity to vote or comment for their favorite episode. But I want all you guys know that NIKITA worth being renewed cause they have the most beneficial market in the world – china. And none of them has this kind of rewardinglike this before. Nikita is our love is also because we love this kind of theme but there is never this kinds of TV appeared in china. We love it because we love the director the writer and every actors are the perfect of the perfect! Just give a chance to NIKITA and Chinese fans will never let you down!
    Fight for NIKITA!!!

Comment by sharonchou – February 14, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chance for Nikita! Please CW!

Comment by sharonchou – February 14, 2013 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why I keep voting for Nikita be the hart of Dixie keep raising ??? Is there any problem for the damn website?

Comment by Sharonchou – February 14, 2013 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give Hart of Dixie a 3rd season! It’s my favorite show by far. It’s different and fun and has the best cast. And I need to see some George and Zoe. So GO HART OF DIXIE!

Comment by Ellen – February 15, 2013 02:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Nikita!
    I’m really wanna see the next season through The CW.

Comment by Kelly Chan (@KELLY___CHAN) – February 15, 2013 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA NIKITA !
    PLEASE!

Comment by Kelly Chan (@KELLY___CHAN) – February 15, 2013 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please renew Nikita. CW, the huge overseas market is a factor.

Comment by joe – February 15, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BATB for season 2, pleasee, I love Arrow too season 2, yay!

Comment by inge – February 15, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love nikita,look forward to next plot.

Comment by lily – February 15, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita!

Comment by Jessica Wang – February 16, 2013 02:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Beauty and the Beast will be canceled, it is worse then The Secret Circle. It’s an old story and there’re too many old classical stories as tv series and movies, it’s not a new surprising story. The Secret Circle was amazing, different from all the other tv shows, CW need a Witch story since Charmed and when CW canceled TSC it did the biggest mistake he could. CW canceled the best tv show with TVD without really explanations, it’s the worst thing they could do against fans. They lost all my faith.
    Happy only for TVD, Arrow and Supernatural, hope The Carrie Diaries will be renewed and Beauty and the Beast canceled ’cause its audience is worse then The Secret Circle.
    Without faith anymore, Italy.

Comment by tillMay – February 16, 2013 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL BATB is worst than the secret circle? but you have never watched BATB and because of your comment we all know you loved TSC, so your comment is pointless here :/

Comment by Claudia Keller – February 17, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loooove NIKITA

Comment by Thalia – February 16, 2013 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was into TVD, but season4 is plain boring, Elena is so annoying and she is always like”r u ok”or”Stefan, we need to talk”, she was someone who has no idea of people’s feeling. Stefa is not gonna be ok if they just talk. And I hate her sort of innocent expression. Damon may be great, but Elena is ruining the show.

Comment by Thalia – February 16, 2013 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I want to see is Nikita!

Comment by Leslieve – February 16, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We believe in Nikita!

Comment by Mikita – February 16, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love nikita……….come on

Comment by hehonghu – February 17, 2013 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Beauty and the Beast lovers.

Comment by nuovivampiri – February 17, 2013 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh please, please, please keep Hart of Dixie going!!
    Love that show and Arrow too!!

Comment by Cori – February 17, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think HOD fans and BATB fans should team up and watch each others shows. Looks like you are about evenly split in the comments. I hate to see any devoted fan lose their show, so why not help each other out. You win, they win and the CW gets bigger audiences for both. I think Nikita will get a renewal because it is so close to syndication. Happy for Arrow and TVD.

Comment by Dulci – February 17, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita is a given to get renewed for syndication purposes and its ratings for being on Friday and for the CW warrant a renewal.

I only watch Arrow, Hart of Dixie, and The Carrie Diaries so that is where my interest lies. Arrow was unsurprisingly is already renewed. And out of HoD and TCD my investment is in HoD. I’ve spent 1 1/2 seasons watching the zany characters of BlueBell and I find that I want more. This show really is a bright spot in the week and helps add a bit of variety to both the CW and the line up of shows that are currently on that I watch. TV is filled with so many procedurals, drama soaps, and scifi/fantasy/supernatural shows that HoD is actually unique in what type of show it is. It is a show that makes me laugh and smile and has turned into a must see show for me each week which surprised me last season. And I’m finding that just like last season if it wasn’t renewed this is the show that I would miss the most out of all the shows that I watch. And seriously I can’t get enough of Zoe and Wade.

And for a show that gets no promo and goes up against tough competition, it is holding its own despite the low ratings which are basically on par with the other bubble shows on the CW. It has proven to have a small but very loyal following that has kept the ratings stable since last season.

Comment by Tracie – February 17, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hart of Dixie!!I love them so much.!

Comment by Elena – February 17, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All they need to do now is renew Beauty and the Beast and Nikita and I will be good. I don’t care for the other shows.

Comment by Andrew Hart – February 17, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BATB, is the next to be renewed, I love Nikita too, but If I have to choose I have enough Nikita episodes and I need more BATB episodes to go back and forth :)

Comment by Claudia Keller – February 17, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post