New Spoiler Alert!: Scandal's Game-Changers, Community's Return and Smash
's Killer ID'd

Get More: Spoilers, Video, Web Series

Spoiler Alert Web Series Scandal Spoilers Though Matt Mitovich and I are joined by Communitys effervescent Yvette Nicole Brown on this week’s Spoiler Alert!, it’s still a highly upsetting episode. How could it not be?

First, we do a post-mortem (emphasis on the “mortem”!) of the latest Scandal, in which the president – gasp! – commits murder. (“Maybe Mellie’s next!” Brown fears.) Then, we hold a wake of sorts for Smash. (I think I know the guy who’s responsible for the show’s craptastic premiere ratings.)

RELATED | Scandal Preview with Shonda Rhimes: Find Out What’s Next for Liv, Fitz, Mellie and More!

Luckily, Brown’s able to cheer things up with a preview of not only Community’s Thanksgiving episode but also its trip to the sorta-Inspector SpaceTime convention. (Hint: Pay special attention to the extras.)

So what are you still reading this for? Press PLAY below to watch for yourself, then hit the comments! (And hey, be nice about my sweater. It was a gift from Charlie Brown.)

Comments (72)

• I wish I could read this, rather than watching a video.

Comment by Rebecca – February 8, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s Friday Rebecca. Go have your bowl. Go have your cereal. The rest of us appreciate these videos. Anyway, I completely agree with everyone about Smash and Scandal.

Comment by Trev – February 8, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved the way both Scandal and Smash was able to tell will happened in the near future. I like that you and your two got the the heart of the matter.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 8, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Click on the YOUtube symbol in the bottom right and you can watch it via Youtube’s site and it works there – doesn’t work here for me either.

Comment by Candy Herzo – February 8, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Peoples hate for things confuses me to no end some times.If you don;t want to watch the video…don’t. Some of us like the videos and don’t want to read everything. It’s a 10min audio podcast that you can listen to while reading/doing other things.

Comment by Zak – February 8, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unfortunately, not all of us can “listen” to it. I wouldn’t object to the video if they’d do their hearing impaired readers/listeners the courtesy of close captioning the video.

Comment by dragons3 – February 8, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Just turn on the close caption button at the bottom of the video.

Comment by Kristoffer – February 8, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree

Comment by ivaddj – February 8, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Being that I live in the country and have satellite internet, I can’t watch videos. Takes forever to download and if it’s live it’s jumbled mess.

So to those who say “just watch the video and shut up”, you have no idea what it’s like for people like me, and more than likely the person to whom I replying to, who used their voice to request text versions.

So STFU and allow those who wish for text versions, their voice!

Comment by McAmster – February 8, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m seeing the complaints, but I was smiling throughout the entire SCANDAL conversation. It’s worth it guys. If you can, just try to watch. ;)

Comment by theOtherMonique – February 8, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish they would do sign language because they don’t always show them talking which means I am unable to read their lips.

Comment by Steven – February 8, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Me too. Wish I had the option

Comment by Amy – February 8, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn I’m at work and can’t “see” videos. I wish I could read it too! :( Guess I’ll wait until I get home tonight – hope I remember!!

Comment by Dee – February 8, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. Ivy ends up playing Marilyn? Makes me happy that I can’t even hate-watch SMASH anymore. It was ridiculous enough all these people talking about Marilyn Monroe like she was such an important person that they would dedicate their lives to her story, but some of them were at least likable. She was just the vilest character, why would I invest time in watching her step all over people and then get rewarded?

Comment by Alice – February 8, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, the writers really screwed up. I don’t think they knew whether they wanted Karen or Ivy to be the ultimate Marilyn so they made Ivy this horrible cartoonish character and now they’re working over time to make her sympathetic by just taking a steaming dump on her every 5 seconds. Talk about piling it on.

Comment by dude – February 12, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with Dude. It will be interested to see how Ivy will make a comeback. I can’t wait to see how the writer will developed the inividual character. Good luck to the future.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 12, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stop with the videos – PLEASE publish this in written form.

Comment by Boo – February 8, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay, I am curious, how would a roundtable discussion be done in “written form”? Like a script from a movie?

Comment by Lauren – February 8, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. I prefer the video’s.

Comment by Zak – February 8, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It would be nice if it was an option. We live in the country and FOR YEARS could not watch video online – there were some sites (eonline) that I had to stop trying to view as they would crash my system with content. Recently we have gotten satellite but that was after 8 years with no other options. I feel for the people who would be like to be part of the conversation but cannot due to local. It sucks.

Comment by Kate – February 8, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But there’s no real way to work it. if it was an easily executed option, that’s one thing bu it isn’t. I don’t think videos should be abolished just because some people can’t view them.

Comment by dude – February 12, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My eye open wide when I saw Fritz murder that judge. I can’t wait to see the aftermath to the death of the lady judge. I know that he make it look like she died of natural causes. I still can’t believe that Smash got a bad rating. I just hope that the show will make a comeback. I hope that Community will return next season.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 8, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She died of cancer. Fitz didn’t murder her, he just helped her along. She was on her last hours when she called them so she could confess. And that evil bald headed heffa tried to kill Fitz. He was shot in the head and was in a coma. An innocent woman was killed because of her. Verna is no saint.

Comment by bigdede – February 8, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know that the lady judge is a killer but Fritz took the law in his hand. He should have let the law decide her fate and not help her into her early graves. I got a feeling what he did won’t disappear after this episode. I don’t know how the write will top this one.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 8, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know which fictional commander in chief is much darker on TV: Tony Goldwyn of Scandal or Gregory Itzin of 24? Also, the jury’s still out on Smash if the series is going to survive depending on ratings.

Comment by Tran – February 8, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hoping it was all scheduling confusion that led to Smash’s low ratings on Tuesday. I think season two is starting off really strong, creatively.

Comment by MrMank – February 8, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Yvette Nicole Brown and Community! The premiere was hilarious. And I completely agree with her about Smash’s fantasy sequences. They are well performed, but so out of place in the show.

Comment by Erin – February 8, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Ivy gets to play Marilyn. She’s much better suited for it. I actually think that Kathleen McPhee is kind of a weak link in the show. She’s adorable and talented but she doesn’t have the maturity as a performer that Ivy has. Not for Broadway and not to play Marilyn, IMO.

Comment by Ana – February 8, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo hiss on the video. We like to read the old fashioned way.

Comment by WhoopsieDayze – February 8, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another vote for written option.

Comment by Kimberly – February 8, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Smash premiere was smashing! Very awesome, lots happening. Loved it.
    Will Ivy get to play Marilyn? She should! However, we do need some kind of storyline to keep the tension going. I don’t think Karen’s new friends are the impetus the storyline needs.
    Community premiere — totally great! At first I was going, holy carp they added a laugh track, I find it very difficult to watch shows that have a laugh track, so annoying. Whew, it was just part of Abed’s fantasy. I don’t understand why he would have Fred Willard playing Chase, but, I’m willing to play along. It was a lot of fun.

Comment by bobbie – February 8, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope that the rating for Smash will make a comeback in the next two episode. Scandal prove why it is a hit show. I loved the way there is a plot and counterplot. You never know what will happened next. Good luck to the future.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 8, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree w/ written form. Have the roundtable video AND do a synopsis in written form

Comment by Dena – February 8, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Face it, the video was a Michael & Matt vanity project…”Look at us in our lofty office schmoozing with our celebrity friend…” Guys, we know your job is not that glamorous so get back to your PCs, don’t worry about your wardrobe and “write” some scoop so if, for instance, we only care about “Smash,” we can skip by “Scandal,” etc….

Comment by Richard Douglas – February 8, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • people only care about smash? the ratings don’t prove that. have a seat. meanwhile scandal has been picking up in ratings and is always dominating twitter trends while it’s on thursday night. so no. you’re wrong.

Comment by Sam – February 8, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s kind of rude. I love Spoiler Alert theater. I find Matt and Ausiello to be adorable when they get to talking about TV shows with their guests or with each other. Their happy energy is infectious.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 8, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with written form. Bummer…

Comment by BeBe – February 8, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do separate recaps or scoops on shows separately in the written format. Some of us luv Scandal and others could care less about Smash, etc.

Comment by BeBe – February 8, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I laughed really hard at how quickly everyone turned on Matt when he suggest that Charlie wasn’t going to kill James. But seriously, HE WAS GOING TO KILL JAMES. Love Spoiler Alert, guys.

Comment by Leah – February 8, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved watching SMASH last season and looked forward to this new season. I think the new show took care of all the loose ends, weird characters and uneven plot. I did NOT like the way “Karen” was so mean to “Ivy”. Too much so. I do enjoy all the singing and dancing, even the “dream scenes”. I hope the plot gets beyond all the petty issues and sticks to the main reason we watch this show: SINGING and DANCING !! PS. I do NOT like the new male character!! I don’t like the way the writers quickly have “Karen” in his face, trying to help him out…and his terrible responses.

Comment by Laura – February 8, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you, I was wondering if I’m the only one who despises the new male lead of Smash. He was so disgustingly rude to Karen, and it wasn’t in a way that made you think he was still attractive and appealing, he was just mean. I would rather they had put her with Ellis.

Comment by dan – February 9, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha loved what she said about Scandal and Tony and Kerry. I don’t care either. I want it to happen.

Comment by Terry – February 8, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t wait to see what happened next weeks in Scandal. Will Olivia learn when she discover that the love of her llife took someone’ life.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 8, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a fan of videos, because they never work no matter what browser I use — I give up! Prefer to read spoler alerts, scoops, etc. in written form.

Comment by Georgia – February 8, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep the videos and the special guests coming. I can read scoop anywhere including this website. I enjoy hearing your insights on shows and watching your interactions. Especially love Yvette Nicole Brown.

Comment by Giselle Alexandra – February 8, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I love her insights (especially about Scandal) when she’s a guest on Spoiler Alert. :)

Comment by Shannon – February 8, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I enjoy the the host and the two guest told a lot what was on their mind and what they blieve will happened in future episode. Good luck to the future.

Comment by charles david haskell – February 8, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok… So did I miss a memo or something? What’s with all the hate against the videos? I agree, maybe do a synopsis, but keep the videos. (Yes, I know I just fed the trolls, but seriously, all these comments are ridiculous.)

Comment by jalahyacinth – February 8, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get it, if you like to read, read the recaps. I love the videos specially their guest stars, Urie, Yvette & the lady from Parks & Rec. Did they have anyone else?

Comment by Sara – February 8, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe it was the mentioning of his dad that put him over the edge… he hates that man and I think he hates him enough to kill.

Comment by Alysia Wilkinson – February 8, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about a vote button for option of viewing or video or reading the transcript??? Ausiello-ites are obviously mega multi-taskers!

Comment by Linderella – February 8, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is already a closed caption button at the bottom of the video that you can turn on. It has been on these and other youtube vids for a while.

Comment by Kristoffer – February 8, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LMAO i love when retta and yvette are there! they’re just like us in the way that they react to tv shows. they are expressing my very emotions watching these shows.

Comment by baglesvswaffles – February 8, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a SMASH junkie. Totally agree with what Michael said (about rooting for Ivy). While I was always Team Ivy, I got that there was a Team Karen. By the close of the season 2 premiere, ALL empathy shifted from Karen to Ivy. Power hungry Karen is not entertaining. McPhee needs to find a way to play the power with some level of decency underneath. Ivy’s number at the ball…….AMAZING.

Comment by John – February 8, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with John about Karen becaming power mad. She is outdoing Ivy in her career drive.I can’t wait to see how Ivy will get her life back.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 8, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To quote Jan Brady and her Marsha Marsha Marsha battle cry, with SMASH its Karen Karen Karen. Give me a break. Ivy shows vulnerability, even when she is being mean. Karen is one dimensional. And now, she is such a mover and shaker that she is greenlighting new musicals on Broadway? Really, Karen has all that power? Did you HEAR Ivy sing the number at the gala? Thats POWER.

Comment by John – February 8, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, I would prefer to read…I can do that in 30 seconds vs 10 minutes of time where half of it isn’t about shows I watch. bummer.

Comment by Me – February 8, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another vote for a written version. It is far faster for some of us to skim text for what we are interested in and we don’t bother with the videos.

Comment by textfan – February 8, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the videos.I love seeing the personalities of everyone. It’s not like the really reveal new information, they just recap and give their opinions. People have been so bitter in the comment sections lately. Must be the cold weather…
    On another note, the Community premiere was hilarious! I’m happy it’s back after such a long hiatus.

Comment by Babybop – February 8, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I rewatched the season premiere of Community. It actually wasn’t as terrible as I thought it was the first time I watched it. I must have been tired last night or my expectations were too high or something. It actually had some good wink-wink jokes about the change in showrunners and the fans expectations and the future and changes and doing things your own way. So I do feel a lot better about the future of the show now. I graded it with a D last night, but I can say now it was probably more of a B.
    One joke they totally missed a chance at though…instead of having the Dean come in with the male strippers dressed in scantily-clad unicorn costumes (because that was a bit of an over-the-top obvious joke), they should have gone with a more subtle joke of having dudes in full dalmatian costumes bring him in. Because that’s more what the Dean is into, right? “I hope this doesn’t awaken anything in me.”

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 8, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can anyone tell me what the Community spoilers/intel are because I can’t watch and I’m desperate! PLEASE!

Comment by Karen – February 8, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would you at least please consider telling us at what point in the video the different shows start so we can see the discussions on the shows we are caught up on, but skip the ones that we are behind on or don’t watch?

Comment by MaryAnn – February 8, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dakota

Comment by Dakota – February 9, 2013 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC needs to super-promote Smash the way ABC did with Nashville. It’s too good to lose!

Comment by Karen – February 9, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Karen about Smash. I hope that the rating will improving. I can’t wait to see the second episode.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 9, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah but Nashville isn’t doing well either.

Comment by dude – February 12, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stand all this Ivy piling on. They’re working so hard to make her likable but she’s not. Clearly she’s the ultimate Marilyn which just makes me happy I stopped watching. I have to say though, that Karen/Ivy elevator scene at the beginning was brilliant.

Comment by dude – February 12, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are my wife and I the only ones who can’t hear most of the dialog? The first week of this season there was traffic noise in every scene, even in apartments and offices. The second week, the traffic noise indoors was down, but there was background music (not part of the plot) drowning out the dialog. I really want to watch Smash — and to hear the dialog. Does anyone on the production staff read these comments?

Comment by Bob Sheffield – February 22, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scandal is getting each episode. I can’t wait to learn who is the double agent who is betray everyone.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 23, 2013 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post