New Spoiler Alert!: Scandal's Game-Changers, Community's Return and Smash
's Killer ID'd

Spoiler Alert Web Series Scandal Spoilers Though Matt Mitovich and I are joined by Communitys effervescent Yvette Nicole Brown on this week’s Spoiler Alert!, it’s still a highly upsetting episode. How could it not be?

First, we do a post-mortem (emphasis on the “mortem”!) of the latest Scandal, in which the president – gasp! – commits murder. (“Maybe Mellie’s next!” Brown fears.) Then, we hold a wake of sorts for Smash. (I think I know the guy who’s responsible for the show’s craptastic premiere ratings.)

RELATED | Scandal Preview with Shonda Rhimes: Find Out What’s Next for Liv, Fitz, Mellie and More!

Luckily, Brown’s able to cheer things up with a preview of not only Community’s Thanksgiving episode but also its trip to the sorta-Inspector SpaceTime convention. (Hint: Pay special attention to the extras.)

So what are you still reading this for? Press PLAY below to watch for yourself, then hit the comments! (And hey, be nice about my sweater. It was a gift from Charlie Brown.)

1. Rebecca says:

I wish I could read this, rather than watching a video.

• Trev says:

It’s Friday Rebecca. Go have your bowl. Go have your cereal. The rest of us appreciate these videos. Anyway, I completely agree with everyone about Smash and Scandal.

• Candy Herzo says:

Click on the YOUtube symbol in the bottom right and you can watch it via Youtube’s site and it works there – doesn’t work here for me either.

• Zak says:

Peoples hate for things confuses me to no end some times.If you don;t want to watch the video…don’t. Some of us like the videos and don’t want to read everything. It’s a 10min audio podcast that you can listen to while reading/doing other things.

• dragons3 says:

Unfortunately, not all of us can “listen” to it. I wouldn’t object to the video if they’d do their hearing impaired readers/listeners the courtesy of close captioning the video.

• McAmster says:

Being that I live in the country and have satellite internet, I can’t watch videos. Takes forever to download and if it’s live it’s jumbled mess.

So to those who say “just watch the video and shut up”, you have no idea what it’s like for people like me, and more than likely the person to whom I replying to, who used their voice to request text versions.

So STFU and allow those who wish for text versions, their voice!

• theOtherMonique says:

I’m seeing the complaints, but I was smiling throughout the entire SCANDAL conversation. It’s worth it guys. If you can, just try to watch. ;)

• Steven says:

I wish they would do sign language because they don’t always show them talking which means I am unable to read their lips.

2. Amy says:

Me too. Wish I had the option

3. Dee says:

Darn I’m at work and can’t “see” videos. I wish I could read it too! :( Guess I’ll wait until I get home tonight – hope I remember!!

4. Alice says:

Ugh. Ivy ends up playing Marilyn? Makes me happy that I can’t even hate-watch SMASH anymore. It was ridiculous enough all these people talking about Marilyn Monroe like she was such an important person that they would dedicate their lives to her story, but some of them were at least likable. She was just the vilest character, why would I invest time in watching her step all over people and then get rewarded?

• dude says:

Yeah, the writers really screwed up. I don’t think they knew whether they wanted Karen or Ivy to be the ultimate Marilyn so they made Ivy this horrible cartoonish character and now they’re working over time to make her sympathetic by just taking a steaming dump on her every 5 seconds. Talk about piling it on.

5. Boo says:

Stop with the videos – PLEASE publish this in written form.

• Lauren says:

Okay, I am curious, how would a roundtable discussion be done in “written form”? Like a script from a movie?

• Zak says:

I disagree. I prefer the video’s.

• Kate says:

It would be nice if it was an option. We live in the country and FOR YEARS could not watch video online – there were some sites (eonline) that I had to stop trying to view as they would crash my system with content. Recently we have gotten satellite but that was after 8 years with no other options. I feel for the people who would be like to be part of the conversation but cannot due to local. It sucks.

• dude says:

But there’s no real way to work it. if it was an easily executed option, that’s one thing bu it isn’t. I don’t think videos should be abolished just because some people can’t view them.

6. My eye open wide when I saw Fritz murder that judge. I can’t wait to see the aftermath to the death of the lady judge. I know that he make it look like she died of natural causes. I still can’t believe that Smash got a bad rating. I just hope that the show will make a comeback. I hope that Community will return next season.

• bigdede says:

She died of cancer. Fitz didn’t murder her, he just helped her along. She was on her last hours when she called them so she could confess. And that evil bald headed heffa tried to kill Fitz. He was shot in the head and was in a coma. An innocent woman was killed because of her. Verna is no saint.

• I know that the lady judge is a killer but Fritz took the law in his hand. He should have let the law decide her fate and not help her into her early graves. I got a feeling what he did won’t disappear after this episode. I don’t know how the write will top this one.

7. Tran says:

I don’t know which fictional commander in chief is much darker on TV: Tony Goldwyn of Scandal or Gregory Itzin of 24? Also, the jury’s still out on Smash if the series is going to survive depending on ratings.

8. MrMank says:

I am hoping it was all scheduling confusion that led to Smash’s low ratings on Tuesday. I think season two is starting off really strong, creatively.

9. Erin says:

I love Yvette Nicole Brown and Community! The premiere was hilarious. And I completely agree with her about Smash’s fantasy sequences. They are well performed, but so out of place in the show.

10. Ana says:

I hope Ivy gets to play Marilyn. She’s much better suited for it. I actually think that Kathleen McPhee is kind of a weak link in the show. She’s adorable and talented but she doesn’t have the maturity as a performer that Ivy has. Not for Broadway and not to play Marilyn, IMO.

11. WhoopsieDayze says:

Boo hiss on the video. We like to read the old fashioned way.

12. Kimberly says:

Another vote for written option.

13. bobbie says:

The Smash premiere was smashing! Very awesome, lots happening. Loved it.
    Will Ivy get to play Marilyn? She should! However, we do need some kind of storyline to keep the tension going. I don’t think Karen’s new friends are the impetus the storyline needs.
    Community premiere — totally great! At first I was going, holy carp they added a laugh track, I find it very difficult to watch shows that have a laugh track, so annoying. Whew, it was just part of Abed’s fantasy. I don’t understand why he would have Fred Willard playing Chase, but, I’m willing to play along. It was a lot of fun.

• I hope that the rating for Smash will make a comeback in the next two episode. Scandal prove why it is a hit show. I loved the way there is a plot and counterplot. You never know what will happened next. Good luck to the future.

14. Dena says:

I agree w/ written form. Have the roundtable video AND do a synopsis in written form

15. Richard Douglas says:

Face it, the video was a Michael & Matt vanity project…”Look at us in our lofty office schmoozing with our celebrity friend…” Guys, we know your job is not that glamorous so get back to your PCs, don’t worry about your wardrobe and “write” some scoop so if, for instance, we only care about “Smash,” we can skip by “Scandal,” etc….

• Sam says:

people only care about smash? the ratings don’t prove that. have a seat. meanwhile scandal has been picking up in ratings and is always dominating twitter trends while it’s on thursday night. so no. you’re wrong.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

That’s kind of rude. I love Spoiler Alert theater. I find Matt and Ausiello to be adorable when they get to talking about TV shows with their guests or with each other. Their happy energy is infectious.

16. BeBe says:

I agree with written form. Bummer…

17. BeBe says:

Do separate recaps or scoops on shows separately in the written format. Some of us luv Scandal and others could care less about Smash, etc.

18. Leah says:

I laughed really hard at how quickly everyone turned on Matt when he suggest that Charlie wasn’t going to kill James. But seriously, HE WAS GOING TO KILL JAMES. Love Spoiler Alert, guys.

19. Laura says:

I loved watching SMASH last season and looked forward to this new season. I think the new show took care of all the loose ends, weird characters and uneven plot. I did NOT like the way “Karen” was so mean to “Ivy”. Too much so. I do enjoy all the singing and dancing, even the “dream scenes”. I hope the plot gets beyond all the petty issues and sticks to the main reason we watch this show: SINGING and DANCING !! PS. I do NOT like the new male character!! I don’t like the way the writers quickly have “Karen” in his face, trying to help him out…and his terrible responses.

• dan says:

Thank you, I was wondering if I’m the only one who despises the new male lead of Smash. He was so disgustingly rude to Karen, and it wasn’t in a way that made you think he was still attractive and appealing, he was just mean. I would rather they had put her with Ellis.

20. Terry says:

Haha loved what she said about Scandal and Tony and Kerry. I don’t care either. I want it to happen.

21. Georgia says:

Not a fan of videos, because they never work no matter what browser I use — I give up! Prefer to read spoler alerts, scoops, etc. in written form.

22. Keep the videos and the special guests coming. I can read scoop anywhere including this website. I enjoy hearing your insights on shows and watching your interactions. Especially love Yvette Nicole Brown.

23. jalahyacinth says:

Ok… So did I miss a memo or something? What’s with all the hate against the videos? I agree, maybe do a synopsis, but keep the videos. (Yes, I know I just fed the trolls, but seriously, all these comments are ridiculous.)

24. Sara says:

I don’t get it, if you like to read, read the recaps. I love the videos specially their guest stars, Urie, Yvette & the lady from Parks & Rec. Did they have anyone else?

25. I believe it was the mentioning of his dad that put him over the edge… he hates that man and I think he hates him enough to kill.

26. Linderella says:

How about a vote button for option of viewing or video or reading the transcript??? Ausiello-ites are obviously mega multi-taskers!

• Kristoffer says:

There is already a closed caption button at the bottom of the video that you can turn on. It has been on these and other youtube vids for a while.

27. LMAO i love when retta and yvette are there! they’re just like us in the way that they react to tv shows. they are expressing my very emotions watching these shows.

28. John says:

I’m a SMASH junkie. Totally agree with what Michael said (about rooting for Ivy). While I was always Team Ivy, I got that there was a Team Karen. By the close of the season 2 premiere, ALL empathy shifted from Karen to Ivy. Power hungry Karen is not entertaining. McPhee needs to find a way to play the power with some level of decency underneath. Ivy’s number at the ball…….AMAZING.

29. John says:

To quote Jan Brady and her Marsha Marsha Marsha battle cry, with SMASH its Karen Karen Karen. Give me a break. Ivy shows vulnerability, even when she is being mean. Karen is one dimensional. And now, she is such a mover and shaker that she is greenlighting new musicals on Broadway? Really, Karen has all that power? Did you HEAR Ivy sing the number at the gala? Thats POWER.

30. Me says:

I agree, I would prefer to read…I can do that in 30 seconds vs 10 minutes of time where half of it isn’t about shows I watch. bummer.

31. textfan says:

Another vote for a written version. It is far faster for some of us to skim text for what we are interested in and we don’t bother with the videos.

32. Babybop says:

I like the videos.I love seeing the personalities of everyone. It’s not like the really reveal new information, they just recap and give their opinions. People have been so bitter in the comment sections lately. Must be the cold weather…
    On another note, the Community premiere was hilarious! I’m happy it’s back after such a long hiatus.

33. Britta Unfiltered says:

Well, I rewatched the season premiere of Community. It actually wasn’t as terrible as I thought it was the first time I watched it. I must have been tired last night or my expectations were too high or something. It actually had some good wink-wink jokes about the change in showrunners and the fans expectations and the future and changes and doing things your own way. So I do feel a lot better about the future of the show now. I graded it with a D last night, but I can say now it was probably more of a B.
    One joke they totally missed a chance at though…instead of having the Dean come in with the male strippers dressed in scantily-clad unicorn costumes (because that was a bit of an over-the-top obvious joke), they should have gone with a more subtle joke of having dudes in full dalmatian costumes bring him in. Because that’s more what the Dean is into, right? “I hope this doesn’t awaken anything in me.”

34. Karen says:

Can anyone tell me what the Community spoilers/intel are because I can’t watch and I’m desperate! PLEASE!

35. MaryAnn says:

Would you at least please consider telling us at what point in the video the different shows start so we can see the discussions on the shows we are caught up on, but skip the ones that we are behind on or don’t watch?

36. Dakota says:

Dakota

37. Karen says:

NBC needs to super-promote Smash the way ABC did with Nashville. It’s too good to lose!

38. dude says:

I can’t stand all this Ivy piling on. They’re working so hard to make her likable but she’s not. Clearly she’s the ultimate Marilyn which just makes me happy I stopped watching. I have to say though, that Karen/Ivy elevator scene at the beginning was brilliant.

39. Bob Sheffield says:

Are my wife and I the only ones who can’t hear most of the dialog? The first week of this season there was traffic noise in every scene, even in apartments and offices. The second week, the traffic noise indoors was down, but there was background music (not part of the plot) drowning out the dialog. I really want to watch Smash — and to hear the dialog. Does anyone on the production staff read these comments?