Pilot Scoop: Christina Ricci Signs on as NBC Comedy's Girlfriend in a Coma

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Christina RicciChristina Ricci will star in NBC’s comedy pilot Girlfriend in a Coma.

The former Pan Am star will play Karen, a woman who wakes from a years-long coma to discover she has a 17-year-old daughter from a pregnancy she never knew about.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The single-camera project is based on a Douglas Coupland novel. Dick Wolf (Law & Order), Peter Jankowski (Law & Order) and Danielle Gelber (Chicago Fire) will exec-produce, with Liz Brixius (Nurse Jackie) producing and penning the project.

Earlier this season, Ricci guest-starred as a Sarah Silverman-like comedienne on CBS’ The Good Wife. She previously played head stewardess Maggie in ABC’s cancelled Pan Am.

Comments (30)

• Ummm, 17? a 17 y-o daughter? She’s like 32 and looks like 25, it’s not believable.

Comment by Olivia – February 8, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol .. as weird as the premise I, I can actually seee Ricci doing this cause she’s got a dark side. BUT.. she’s wayyy to young to have a 17 year old kid.

Comment by Danielle H. – February 8, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is the coma supposed to have stopped her from aging (which usually doesn’t happen) because I am not sure I buy her. But then she could feel younger than she is, and that might work. But still not sure I buy her with a 17 year old. She must have gotten pregnant as a teenager.

Comment by Stacey – February 8, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 15 if you’re going off ricci’s actual age (32). not impossible but not improbable.

Comment by cjeffery7 – February 9, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True, but as I wrote up there she looks younger than her age, that’s why it’s not believable.

Comment by Olivia – February 13, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Olivia and Danielle – you know there’s a reality show called 16 and Pregnant, right? I’m 44 and I have THREE high school classmates who are GRANDPARENTS. Now only is it plausible, I’m pretty sure something like it has already happened.

Comment by Kiki – February 8, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m younger than you, and nearly all my classmates are grandparents; some are even grandparents of teenagers, so will most likely be great-grandparents in their mid-40s. This pilot is about a woman who was 17 when she fell into the coma; and wakes, aged 34, to find her unknown daughter has the same age-in-experience as she herself does.

Comment by Katie_Mead – February 8, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Quite aware of what the show is about Katie. I was trying to make a point to those who thought the premise was unbelievable.

Comment by Kiki – February 9, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she had the kid when she was 16, it’d make her 33, I see nothing wrong with Christina playing the character.

Comment by Kaycee – February 8, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this is successful, what other songs by The Smiths should be made into sitcoms? Meat Is Murder? How Soon Is Now? (Maybe a game show) Sheila Take A Bow?

AH! got it! That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore!!

Comment by RockGolf – February 8, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hair Dresser on Fire!
      I was wondering the same thing RockGolf!

Comment by Sappa – February 8, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I plan to ask Mozza this very thing when I see him in concert next month. I will report back ;)

Comment by Kirstin E. Jewell – February 8, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The character in the book was 17 when she fell into the coma, so it’s not too much of a stretch. Maybe they can pass off her looking younger as no sun damage!

Comment by Sheila – February 8, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This reminds me of Life Unexpected, where we had a character playing a mother to a teen who was in her early 30s, but looked about 25. I think it worked then, and I think it could work again, given that they cast a young looking daughter.

Comment by lara – February 8, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god, is she playing future Meg from Veronica Mars? #comapregnancy

Comment by emmapants – February 8, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting. So she has the mentality of a teenager and she has one. Could be funny. And Ricci has a dark sense of humor so I hope the show leans that way.

Comment by Mandy – February 8, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot see how the producers got past the first line of the synopsis. Did they read the book?

Its pretty dark. Drug addiction, cancer, apocalypse, depression, obession.

I mean it was a good book, I like Douglas Coupland, and it did have funny moments….

But a comedy baaed on GIAC? I can’t see it.

Comment by qween perky – February 8, 2013 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you. I love Coupland – and his work totally could work on tv….but GIAC as a sitcom? Eh? Could work.

Comment by mia – February 8, 2013 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you ever see JPod? I believe it was on CBC and I think The CW aired it too. That was based on the book and still incorporated a lot of the same stories from the book, including forced heroin addiction and kidnapping. I think if NBC are prepared to take a risk (and I think they are, it’s the benefit of being a fourth-place network!) it could work.

Comment by Dizzle – February 9, 2013 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought abc was the fourth place network

Comment by Pickles – February 9, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • JPod was made to work to a certain degree I’ll grant you. But the central plot to GIAC is the end of the world – literally the apocalypse with no explanation. Thats why I think that they snatched on to that one little plot point of Karen and will ignore the rest, including the ghost. A shame really because some of the funniest stuff happens when they ‘re on their own.

Now Miss Wyoming- THAT would make a great tv show!

Comment by qween perky – February 9, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t see it either – and Girlfriend in a Coma is one of my favourite books. If it was a mini-series, why not, but a single camera sitcom?! I’m wondering how they’ll make stuff like having to spread artificial cinnamon everywhere to counter the stench of the decaying masses of bodies that can’t be bured anymore funny.

Comment by SoS – February 12, 2013 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess all the people who say this is so unbelievable have forgotten about Gilmore Girls. A woman who had a daughter at 16 and is now 32 and the daughter is 16. (obviously talking about S1 here) That show lasted what, 8 years? I think.

Comment by Leah – February 9, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sounds interesting, to say the least. with that list of producers it’s got a solid shot.

Comment by cjeffery7 – February 9, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to see her coming back to TV…………………

Comment by gman – February 9, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of the exec producers have produced a comedy. That doesn’t bode well for this show. But it partly explains why they might think this morose premise has comedic potential. I have a feeling this show is going to tank.

Comment by Waffles – February 9, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be clear, she was not funny at all when she was on The Good Wife. Ricci may have a dark side but her forte is drama. This is just an order though. It may not even be picked up. And with a name like that, who knows…Time will tell. Then again, this is the network that brought us 1600 Penn so my expectations are kind of low…

Comment by Ana – February 9, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this sure sounds interesting as a storyline so far. I really look forward to seeing her again on screen.

Comment by divinerush ღ – February 9, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Christina will work great on a sitcom. She’s awesome!

Comment by BestComedyShows.net – February 12, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post