Shocker: Christina Applegate Quits Up All Night

Christina Applegate Quits Up All NightNBC might want to consider putting Up All Night to sleep.

Christina Applegate has decided to exit the series, which is in the midst of a major revamp, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: Find Out What’s Getting Cancelled, What’s Coming Back and What’s on the Bubble

“It’s been a great experience working on Up All Night, but the show has taken a different creative direction and I decided it was best for me to move on to other endeavors,” Applegate said in a statement. “Working with Lorne Michaels has been a dream come true and I am grateful he brought me into his TV family. I will miss the cast, producers and crew, and wish them the best always.”

The news comes just weeks after series creator Emily Spivey departed the series over creative differences.

PHOTOS | 25 Shows TVLine Readers Want Rebooted or Revived Now

As reported in October, the single-camera series is switching to the more traditional multi-cam format (à la The Big Bang Theory) following a three-month winter hiatus. Production on five additional episodes shot in front of a live studio audience was scheduled to begin this month, bringing Season 2′s total to 16 half-hours.

Per Deadline, NBC is still moving ahead with the series with Friends alum Lisa Kudrow being eyed as a possible Applegate replacement. However, the actress’ producing partner, Dan Bucatinsky, denied that piece of the story on Twitter, maintaining it’s “no true” that Kudrow might succeed Applegate.

Thoughts? Should NBC just quit while they’re behind and let the show die? Hit the comments!

Comments (175)

• NBC – cancel it already…
    Tvline – Proof your stories so you dont get grammar mistakes that a third grader can point out! Embarassing!

Comment by Julie – February 8, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show was so good the first season, they didn’t need to change it. I agree with her choice to quit… You might as well get out of there before it tanks in multi-cam format.

Comment by Babybop – February 8, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show with all my heart, but this….NBC cancel it, what can you do without Spivey and Applegate??
    You can’t kill Reagan.

But no matter what you do ,NBC, give Will and Maya a new show!!!

Comment by Line – February 8, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can it. I stopped watching a long time ago.

Comment by Samuel Croft – February 8, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah time to end this show…

Comment by Josh – February 8, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cancel this show. Cancel Community next!

Comment by ABC – February 8, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • MY FAVORITE SHOW. Blasphemy!!!!

Comment by bob – February 8, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • will arnett is a comedy treasure. i hope he ends up with a show that works…although i didn’t dislike his last two shows. it’s weird–here, matthew perry is killing it on GOON, and viewers as saying meh with their ratings. and UPALLNIGHT was funny and smart, especially last season before it appears the network started messing around with it.

Comment by bob – February 8, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a show that began as a single-camera comedy about a family, was retooled to include a work environment, retooled again to focus more on the family angle, retooled again to be a multi-camera sitcom…and now may be retooled again? Enough already, NBC! Just cancel it!

Comment by Adam – February 8, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually glad. I liked the show (didnt love it) but multicamera shows with laugh track and all drive me crazy. The show has to be amazing for me to sit through a laugh track, otherwise I think it takes the humor out of the moment.

Comment by Ellie – February 8, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry this might be a very stupid question but isn’t she under contract? If not why don’t they have her under contract? And if she is then what is the point in getting actors to sign multi-year contracts if they can still quit as they please?

Comment by ABBY – February 8, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my question too! I am surprised she can do that.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 8, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huh. I didn’t know she could do that. Isn’t she under contract? Wouldn’t that mean she’d have to continue on with the show regardless of her feelings about the direction it was taking? This show has made some really weird decisions in its many reboots. If they had just let it be to begin with, it could have found its groove on its own. Recasting Christina is a terrible idea. Turning it into a multi-cam is an even worse idea. They should just let it die.

• It’s Valerie’s Family all over again.

Comment by Laurel – February 8, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t you mean “Should NBC just quit while THEY’RE behind and let the show die?”? Wouldn’t normally point out a mistake like that, but you write for a living…

Comment by Steve – February 8, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fine by me. This isn’t one of my favorite shows, but I do watch and enjoy it. I agree with many who are saying just go ahead and cancel it. Sounds like it’ll be a whole different show anyway.
    Ill still watch for Will Arnett and Maya Rudolph. They’re the best parts of the show.

Comment by megs – February 8, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Will Arnett really can’t catch a break.
    Since Arrested Development, his most succesful job has been a guest spot on 30 Rock, except for maybe that role in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. Although nothing can top AD, I hope he finally lands a quality show that will last. Regardless of whatever happened to his marriage.

Comment by Sarabi – February 8, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let it go. The show was hit or miss during the first season. Now they’ve totally lost the work place scenario for Regan & Ava. That was the whole point of Regan balancing work and a baby. NBC just needs to revamp the whole Thursday comedy around Parks & Rec. We’ll see how the new producer run Community turns out this season.

Comment by Lance – February 8, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I must agree with Lance. The writer couldn’t make up it mind on what kind of show that they was writing. Christina Applegate’s character was a working woman trap her home life and her working life and the quilty about it.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 8, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC should have just cancelled the show instead of trying to revamp it. season 1 was really good, but season 2 started off poorly and never recovered. and now having the biggest star exit because of what sounds like creative differences? way to ruin a legacy of a good show that tried, but couldn’t. there’s no shame in losing a show that you love but that doesn’t perform. better to have love and lost than to have loved and tried for too long and lost after a messy divorce.

Comment by cjeffery7 – February 8, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cancel it and forget it – that won’t be hard.

Comment by Gail – February 8, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I must agree with Gail about the show. We both know the producer care about the money and wanted to get their money back with the syndication and DVD saies.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 8, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This a good thing, I’m glad everyone is leaving instead of pandering to NBCs push for ratings. A few seasons of well made television is better than a long run of garbage laugh tracks. I guess NBC might not be so heartless by trying to allow the members of this show to keep their jobs, but I still don’t understand why they didn’t just cancel the show and just make a new one with a similar premise under the new format.

Comment by Seannyboy – February 8, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get rid of this tramp and her show and keep Guys With Kids!

Comment by Beth Ann – February 8, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about you refrain from calling strangers tramps. Isn’t gonna help your crappy show stay on the air.

Comment by tripoli – February 9, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t she have a contract? How can she just up and quit?

Comment by JPRausch – February 8, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a single dad, i say kill her off. Show the comedy and drama of raising a child on your own.

Comment by Peter – February 8, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should just end the show. Poor Will Arnett. Will he ever get a show that lasts for a proper amount of time??

Comment by Princess Adora – February 8, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can’t switch that show to multicamera with a live audience. It would change the whole show! No wonder she decided to leave. I doubt the show will last more than a few episodes without her and in the multicamera format.

Comment by Ashley – February 8, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • need to cancel show

Comment by wendy kalthoff – February 8, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without one of the main stars, and considering it was not a big ratings show, it’s time to just leave it be. But put maya Rudolph in another show ASAP!

Comment by Brett – February 9, 2013 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fire Rudolph, bring back Applegate and start over with a show about her and Arnett’s character. Or cancel it. Season 1 was fun!

Comment by Fangirl13 – February 9, 2013 02:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let it just be a spin-off for Maya Rudolph’s character! That’s what it should’ve been all along.

Comment by Brandon – February 9, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with that message. Maya Randolph deserve her own show.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 9, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True, but I don’t think her own show should be one to rise from the ashes of what’s essentially become a production nightmare.

Let her start fresh with something entirely new.

Comment by Summer – February 10, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can certainly see CA not being interested in a work situation that seems to be turning more and more into Married with Children (multi-camera, live audience, focus on zany home). She did that long enough, I see why she’d want something new.

P.S. Yes, bring back Sam Who… would be a great fit with ABCs current comedy block!

Comment by eddieg – February 9, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We all know it’s going to be cancelled anyway. NBC should save the time, effort of looking for a new actress, and money and just cancel it now.

Comment by Lindsey – February 10, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I sadly agree with Lindsey about cancel the show instead trying a new actress. NBC should star a new show with the right cast this time.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 10, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t blame C.A. for leaving. They were going to change the whole format of the show. It wouldn’t have worked with a multi-camera, live audience format. I’m sad to say it but I think it should be cancelled.

Comment by Mary – February 11, 2013 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I must agree with Mary. Christina Applegate is real smart to jump the ship. NBC should put the show to sleep and created a new show with the same cast and maybe they will get it right this time.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 11, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show last year. Why did they change it? I loved the Missy character and she was gone. The whole idea of the show changed but i still watched. It definately changed for the worse. Christina is the whole reason I was excited to see the show.

Comment by blondie – February 12, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I must agree with Blondie. The writer destroy the series and I don’t blame Christina Applegate decide to leave the series.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 12, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Christina Applegate isn’t going to be on the show anymore, then it should just be cancelled. It ruins the show when they replace a character. It’s too bad. I thought this show was hilarious.

Comment by monica – April 3, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christina Applegate really couldn’t carry the show anyway. She’s great in things like Anchorman because she’s 1 of 40.

Comment by Geo – May 13, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quite while they’re behiind and let it die. It won’t be the same without Christina; she made the show. It did start to flop at the end; whatever Will was going through sure showed on the screen.

Comment by Michele – May 24, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am glad that NBC decide to finally cancel Up All Nights. It wasn’t the show that star John Ritter which manage to live several more season when the lead actor died suddenly. The writting went from bad to worst. I know that Will Arnett got a new series on CBS already. Good luck to his new series.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – May 24, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post