Shocker: Christina Applegate Quits Up All Night

Christina Applegate Quits Up All NightNBC might want to consider putting Up All Night to sleep.

Christina Applegate has decided to exit the series, which is in the midst of a major revamp, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: Find Out What’s Getting Cancelled, What’s Coming Back and What’s on the Bubble

“It’s been a great experience working on Up All Night, but the show has taken a different creative direction and I decided it was best for me to move on to other endeavors,” Applegate said in a statement. “Working with Lorne Michaels has been a dream come true and I am grateful he brought me into his TV family. I will miss the cast, producers and crew, and wish them the best always.”

The news comes just weeks after series creator Emily Spivey departed the series over creative differences.

PHOTOS | 25 Shows TVLine Readers Want Rebooted or Revived Now

As reported in October, the single-camera series is switching to the more traditional multi-cam format (à la The Big Bang Theory) following a three-month winter hiatus. Production on five additional episodes shot in front of a live studio audience was scheduled to begin this month, bringing Season 2′s total to 16 half-hours.

Per Deadline, NBC is still moving ahead with the series with Friends alum Lisa Kudrow being eyed as a possible Applegate replacement. However, the actress’ producing partner, Dan Bucatinsky, denied that piece of the story on Twitter, maintaining it’s “no true” that Kudrow might succeed Applegate.

Thoughts? Should NBC just quit while they’re behind and let the show die? Hit the comments!

1. Julie says:

NBC – cancel it already…
    Tvline – Proof your stories so you dont get grammar mistakes that a third grader can point out! Embarassing!

2. Babybop says:

The show was so good the first season, they didn’t need to change it. I agree with her choice to quit… You might as well get out of there before it tanks in multi-cam format.

3. Line says:

I love this show with all my heart, but this….NBC cancel it, what can you do without Spivey and Applegate??
    You can’t kill Reagan.

But no matter what you do ,NBC, give Will and Maya a new show!!!

4. Samuel Croft says:

Can it. I stopped watching a long time ago.

5. Josh says:

Yeah time to end this show…

6. ABC says:

Cancel this show. Cancel Community next!

7. bob says:

will arnett is a comedy treasure. i hope he ends up with a show that works…although i didn’t dislike his last two shows. it’s weird–here, matthew perry is killing it on GOON, and viewers as saying meh with their ratings. and UPALLNIGHT was funny and smart, especially last season before it appears the network started messing around with it.

8. Adam says:

This is a show that began as a single-camera comedy about a family, was retooled to include a work environment, retooled again to focus more on the family angle, retooled again to be a multi-camera sitcom…and now may be retooled again? Enough already, NBC! Just cancel it!

9. Ellie says:

I’m actually glad. I liked the show (didnt love it) but multicamera shows with laugh track and all drive me crazy. The show has to be amazing for me to sit through a laugh track, otherwise I think it takes the humor out of the moment.

10. ABBY says:

Sorry this might be a very stupid question but isn’t she under contract? If not why don’t they have her under contract? And if she is then what is the point in getting actors to sign multi-year contracts if they can still quit as they please?

11. Britta Unfiltered says:

Huh. I didn’t know she could do that. Isn’t she under contract? Wouldn’t that mean she’d have to continue on with the show regardless of her feelings about the direction it was taking? This show has made some really weird decisions in its many reboots. If they had just let it be to begin with, it could have found its groove on its own. Recasting Christina is a terrible idea. Turning it into a multi-cam is an even worse idea. They should just let it die.

12. Laurel says:

It’s Valerie’s Family all over again.

13. Steve says:

Don’t you mean “Should NBC just quit while THEY’RE behind and let the show die?”? Wouldn’t normally point out a mistake like that, but you write for a living…

14. megs says:

Fine by me. This isn’t one of my favorite shows, but I do watch and enjoy it. I agree with many who are saying just go ahead and cancel it. Sounds like it’ll be a whole different show anyway.
    Ill still watch for Will Arnett and Maya Rudolph. They’re the best parts of the show.

15. Sarabi says:

Wow, Will Arnett really can’t catch a break.
    Since Arrested Development, his most succesful job has been a guest spot on 30 Rock, except for maybe that role in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. Although nothing can top AD, I hope he finally lands a quality show that will last. Regardless of whatever happened to his marriage.

16. Lance says:

Let it go. The show was hit or miss during the first season. Now they’ve totally lost the work place scenario for Regan & Ava. That was the whole point of Regan balancing work and a baby. NBC just needs to revamp the whole Thursday comedy around Parks & Rec. We’ll see how the new producer run Community turns out this season.

• I must agree with Lance. The writer couldn’t make up it mind on what kind of show that they was writing. Christina Applegate’s character was a working woman trap her home life and her working life and the quilty about it.

17. cjeffery7 says:

NBC should have just cancelled the show instead of trying to revamp it. season 1 was really good, but season 2 started off poorly and never recovered. and now having the biggest star exit because of what sounds like creative differences? way to ruin a legacy of a good show that tried, but couldn’t. there’s no shame in losing a show that you love but that doesn’t perform. better to have love and lost than to have loved and tried for too long and lost after a messy divorce.

18. Gail says:

Cancel it and forget it – that won’t be hard.

19. Seannyboy says:

This a good thing, I’m glad everyone is leaving instead of pandering to NBCs push for ratings. A few seasons of well made television is better than a long run of garbage laugh tracks. I guess NBC might not be so heartless by trying to allow the members of this show to keep their jobs, but I still don’t understand why they didn’t just cancel the show and just make a new one with a similar premise under the new format.

20. Beth Ann says:

Get rid of this tramp and her show and keep Guys With Kids!

21. JPRausch says:

Doesn’t she have a contract? How can she just up and quit?

22. Peter says:

As a single dad, i say kill her off. Show the comedy and drama of raising a child on your own.

23. Princess Adora says:

They should just end the show. Poor Will Arnett. Will he ever get a show that lasts for a proper amount of time??

24. Ashley says:

You can’t switch that show to multicamera with a live audience. It would change the whole show! No wonder she decided to leave. I doubt the show will last more than a few episodes without her and in the multicamera format.

25. wendy kalthoff says:

need to cancel show

26. Brett says:

Without one of the main stars, and considering it was not a big ratings show, it’s time to just leave it be. But put maya Rudolph in another show ASAP!

27. Fangirl13 says:

Fire Rudolph, bring back Applegate and start over with a show about her and Arnett’s character. Or cancel it. Season 1 was fun!

28. Brandon says:

Let it just be a spin-off for Maya Rudolph’s character! That’s what it should’ve been all along.

29. eddieg says:

I can certainly see CA not being interested in a work situation that seems to be turning more and more into Married with Children (multi-camera, live audience, focus on zany home). She did that long enough, I see why she’d want something new.

P.S. Yes, bring back Sam Who… would be a great fit with ABCs current comedy block!

30. Lindsey says:

We all know it’s going to be cancelled anyway. NBC should save the time, effort of looking for a new actress, and money and just cancel it now.

31. Mary says:

I don’t blame C.A. for leaving. They were going to change the whole format of the show. It wouldn’t have worked with a multi-camera, live audience format. I’m sad to say it but I think it should be cancelled.

32. blondie says:

I loved this show last year. Why did they change it? I loved the Missy character and she was gone. The whole idea of the show changed but i still watched. It definately changed for the worse. Christina is the whole reason I was excited to see the show.

33. monica says:

If Christina Applegate isn’t going to be on the show anymore, then it should just be cancelled. It ruins the show when they replace a character. It’s too bad. I thought this show was hilarious.

34. Geo says:

Christina Applegate really couldn’t carry the show anyway. She’s great in things like Anchorman because she’s 1 of 40.

35. Michele says:

Quite while they’re behiind and let it die. It won’t be the same without Christina; she made the show. It did start to flop at the end; whatever Will was going through sure showed on the screen.

• I am glad that NBC decide to finally cancel Up All Nights. It wasn’t the show that star John Ritter which manage to live several more season when the lead actor died suddenly. The writting went from bad to worst. I know that Will Arnett got a new series on CBS already. Good luck to his new series.