Ratings: FX's The Americans Takes Hit in Week 2

Get More: Uncategorized

americansViewers weren’t Russian to their TVs Wednesday night to catch the second episode of FX’s The Americans.

After a strong start last week, the acclaimed cold war drama starring Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys dropped 39 percent in total viewers (1.97 million vs. 3.22 million) and 32% in A18-49 (1.07 million vs. 1.57 million).

VIDEO | The Americans Scoop: Matthew Rhys Previews Nasty Keri Russell-Margo Martindale Brawl

On the bright side, FX points out that the episode posted “significant growth” from its Tron Legacy lead-in, jumping 67 percent in total viewers and 73 percent in 18-49.

Did you watch Wednesday’s episode? Thoughts?

Comments (30)

• Bad pun, but I giggled.

Comment by Barbie – February 7, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awesome pun more like it.

Comment by dude – February 7, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha the pun was so bad it was genius

Comment by Mr Trololo – February 8, 2013 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! I cant wait to see next week’s episode.

Comment by Jasmine – February 7, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this show but I’ll have to dvr it next week with Southland back.

Comment by Dave – February 7, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a show for dvr

Comment by Shein Die – February 7, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didnt think i would, but I liked the first ep. My problem is that I cant reconcile the Russians being successful, undermining America, hope they are thwarted somewhat in their efforts or I am gone, gone, gone.

Comment by Catherine – February 7, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope that, too. I think it’s kind of a foregone conclusion, actually. I don’t care so much if they are successful in their weekly missions. This isn’t a show about good guys and bad guys. It’s a character driven piece, dealing with the two central characters (brilliantly portrayed by Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys) trying to keep their double life intact. If I’m concerned about anything, it’s the potential for the writers to attempt to push a socialist/communist agenda at us. Not saying it’ll happen, but in this political climate it wouldn’t be so far-fetched.

Comment by MrMank – February 7, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spoiler alert: The KGB ceases to exist.

Also, it’s television. Lighten up.

Comment by Sam – February 7, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This! With the fall of the USSR, it doesn’t really matter.

Comment by Shaina – February 7, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • what about those Russian spies that were only caught a couple of years ago ….

therefore this show could cover a period of 20 to 30 years easy

Comment by Bronte – February 7, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • as long as they go by history, I think you’re good ;)

Comment by Kim – February 7, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the pilot and enjoyed but did not love the second episode. Hope the ratings hits aren’t too bad – I need this show to show on the air!

Comment by Andie – February 7, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael said his favorite so far is Episode 3 so I’ll definitely be sticking around at least until then

Comment by bryceradick – February 7, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched for the first time last night. It was ok. I like Kerri Russell. Don’t think she and that lead guy have much onscreen chemistry. I didn’t care for his character that much. Not sure if I will catch it every week. It was just OK.

Comment by angie – February 7, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wasn’t the lack of “chemistry” a by-product of how they’d been put together by the KGB in the first place, therefore, entirely believable. Knowing your “husband” was seducing another woman as part of the job doesn’t help.

Comment by cuius – February 7, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s still on the ratings level of Justified, which is a lock renewal, so not a big deal. If it can hold from here on out, it’ll be fine.

Comment by ... – February 7, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know; Justified opened bigger and hasn’t dipped below 2M total since 2010. The Americans is just starting out… that’s a pretty significant drop.

Comment by Emily – February 7, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ouch! To bad. I really like this show. Hopefully those are good enough numbers for FX.

Comment by AJ – February 7, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In Soviet Russia, ratings for FX’s The Americans hits you!
    (Yeah, even I know that was lame. I’ll be seeing myself out now.)

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 7, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for it to be cancelled. Lame plots and bad acting. Ratings will drop again next week and by the end of march it should be gone. (hopefully)

Comment by Rusty – February 7, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show is awesome. You keep watching Honey Boo Boo!!

Comment by DBone66 – February 11, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn…I actually LIKED the 2nd ep more than the first. Guess I’m the only one, LOL.

Comment by Pat D. – February 7, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show won’t be canceled. It’s up to par with Justified numbers and people absolutely love that show. I’d say it’s a safe bet for a renewal. The critics love it, Keri & Matthew are outstanding in it too.

Comment by megan – February 7, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really enjoying the show. The KGB Directorate S really existed, though I doubt deep cover agents worked quite like Philip and Elizabeth do. Also, the show’s inspiration was the 10+ Russian deep cover agents arrested by the FBI in 2010. Several of the agents were couples who’d been put together by Russian intelligence.

I like the exploration of Philip and Elizabeth’s relationship and the contrast between what they do on the job and how they are at home and with their kids.

I’ll be sorry to see the show go if it’s cancelled, though I’m not sure where you can really take something like this beyond a season or so. According to imdb, this first season is supposed to be 13 episodes, and I think they’ve all been filmed.

Comment by MC Maine – February 7, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to stop trying so hard with the using sex ploy. It doesn’t make us root for the characters on any level. I’m hoping they quickly get to the America’s actually not so awful scenes and become double agents (for the sake of the kids, etc.)

Comment by barbaradarlin – February 7, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like this show…good plot…people need to relax and chill on here…

Comment by Rebecca – February 7, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have found the show to be fascinating and riveting and I agree that it is about the character a study development

Comment by Rosemary – February 11, 2013 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have found the show fascinating and riveting and I think that the show is a psychological character study. Seen through their eyes it has me asking the question ” if I had been brought up my whole life with the anti American rhetoric surrounding me and had the brainwashing training, would I be capable of behaving as she is? ” I will

Comment by Rosemary – February 11, 2013 04:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be very disappointed if it’s cancelled

Comment by Rosemary – February 11, 2013 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post