Ratings: FX's The Americans Takes Hit in Week 2

americansViewers weren’t Russian to their TVs Wednesday night to catch the second episode of FX’s The Americans.

After a strong start last week, the acclaimed cold war drama starring Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys dropped 39 percent in total viewers (1.97 million vs. 3.22 million) and 32% in A18-49 (1.07 million vs. 1.57 million).

VIDEO | The Americans Scoop: Matthew Rhys Previews Nasty Keri Russell-Margo Martindale Brawl

On the bright side, FX points out that the episode posted “significant growth” from its Tron Legacy lead-in, jumping 67 percent in total viewers and 73 percent in 18-49.

Did you watch Wednesday’s episode? Thoughts?

1. Barbie says:

Bad pun, but I giggled.

2. Jasmine says:

I love this show! I cant wait to see next week’s episode.

3. Dave says:

I like this show but I’ll have to dvr it next week with Southland back.

4. Shein Die says:

a show for dvr

5. Catherine says:

Didnt think i would, but I liked the first ep. My problem is that I cant reconcile the Russians being successful, undermining America, hope they are thwarted somewhat in their efforts or I am gone, gone, gone.

• MrMank says:

I hope that, too. I think it’s kind of a foregone conclusion, actually. I don’t care so much if they are successful in their weekly missions. This isn’t a show about good guys and bad guys. It’s a character driven piece, dealing with the two central characters (brilliantly portrayed by Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys) trying to keep their double life intact. If I’m concerned about anything, it’s the potential for the writers to attempt to push a socialist/communist agenda at us. Not saying it’ll happen, but in this political climate it wouldn’t be so far-fetched.

• Sam says:

Spoiler alert: The KGB ceases to exist.

Also, it’s television. Lighten up.

• Kim says:

as long as they go by history, I think you’re good ;)

6. Andie says:

I loved the pilot and enjoyed but did not love the second episode. Hope the ratings hits aren’t too bad – I need this show to show on the air!

7. bryceradick says:

Michael said his favorite so far is Episode 3 so I’ll definitely be sticking around at least until then

8. angie says:

I watched for the first time last night. It was ok. I like Kerri Russell. Don’t think she and that lead guy have much onscreen chemistry. I didn’t care for his character that much. Not sure if I will catch it every week. It was just OK.

• cuius says:

Wasn’t the lack of “chemistry” a by-product of how they’d been put together by the KGB in the first place, therefore, entirely believable. Knowing your “husband” was seducing another woman as part of the job doesn’t help.

9. ... says:

It’s still on the ratings level of Justified, which is a lock renewal, so not a big deal. If it can hold from here on out, it’ll be fine.

• Emily says:

I don’t know; Justified opened bigger and hasn’t dipped below 2M total since 2010. The Americans is just starting out… that’s a pretty significant drop.

10. AJ says:

Ouch! To bad. I really like this show. Hopefully those are good enough numbers for FX.

11. Britta Unfiltered says:

In Soviet Russia, ratings for FX’s The Americans hits you!
    (Yeah, even I know that was lame. I’ll be seeing myself out now.)

12. Rusty says:

Can’t wait for it to be cancelled. Lame plots and bad acting. Ratings will drop again next week and by the end of march it should be gone. (hopefully)

13. Pat D. says:

Damn…I actually LIKED the 2nd ep more than the first. Guess I’m the only one, LOL.

14. megan says:

This show won’t be canceled. It’s up to par with Justified numbers and people absolutely love that show. I’d say it’s a safe bet for a renewal. The critics love it, Keri & Matthew are outstanding in it too.

15. MC Maine says:

I’m really enjoying the show. The KGB Directorate S really existed, though I doubt deep cover agents worked quite like Philip and Elizabeth do. Also, the show’s inspiration was the 10+ Russian deep cover agents arrested by the FBI in 2010. Several of the agents were couples who’d been put together by Russian intelligence.

I like the exploration of Philip and Elizabeth’s relationship and the contrast between what they do on the job and how they are at home and with their kids.

I’ll be sorry to see the show go if it’s cancelled, though I’m not sure where you can really take something like this beyond a season or so. According to imdb, this first season is supposed to be 13 episodes, and I think they’ve all been filmed.

16. barbaradarlin says:

They need to stop trying so hard with the using sex ploy. It doesn’t make us root for the characters on any level. I’m hoping they quickly get to the America’s actually not so awful scenes and become double agents (for the sake of the kids, etc.)

17. Rebecca says:

I really like this show…good plot…people need to relax and chill on here…

18. Rosemary says:

I have found the show to be fascinating and riveting and I agree that it is about the character a study development

19. Rosemary says:

I have found the show fascinating and riveting and I think that the show is a psychological character study. Seen through their eyes it has me asking the question ” if I had been brought up my whole life with the anti American rhetoric surrounding me and had the brainwashing training, would I be capable of behaving as she is? ” I will

20. Rosemary says:

I will be very disappointed if it’s cancelled