It's Official: Frances Conroy, Taissa Farmiga to Return for American Horror Story's Third Season

blog_AHS_2.7.13American Horror Story leading ladies Frances Conroy and Taissa Farmiga will be back for the series’ upcoming third season.

Farmiga played tortured teen Violet in Season 1 of Ryan Murphy‘s FX scarefest. Conroy appeared in the first season as ghostly maid Moira and in the second as a noir-tinged Angel of Death.

Farmiga will be a brand new character in Season 3, which series co-creator Murphy recently said will take place in modern day but also will be “more historical in nature.” No word yet on who Conroy will portray.

Murphy announced Conroy’s commitment via his Twitter feed Thursday.

RELATED | New Spoiler Alert!Horror Story Season 3 Scoop, Mad Men Spin-Off and Girls‘ Scary Sex Scene

Former players Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters and Jessica Lange are also on board for the third go-around.

The new season reportedly also involves a big romance in which Farmiga’s character will figure prominently.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Production on the next 13-episode season will begin this summer and debut in Fall 2013.

1. Troy says:

Ok let’s get this out of the way….this news excites me very much. I missed Taissa during season 2 so I am glad she is back.

With that said, I personally loved season 2. Aliens included. I mean they were in an aslyum, it would have shocked me if aliens were not in play somewhere with someone claiming abduction. I thought the whole season played out very well, and left me questioning just enough to leave me wanting another season….reminds me of how the story lines in Glee are, another Murphy show.

2. xelloss100 says:

Great!

I’m looking forward to see Frances Conroy back on season three. I really liked her on season one and two. It was a pity her role in season two was so small.

I hope they bring Zachary Quinto back as well. I really like his work and loved both his performances on both seasons (particularly on the second one that he had a bigger role).

Looking forward for season three!!!

3. Daniel says:

Please bring Zachary Quinto back. That would be awesome!!!!

4. Matt says:

I really really want Alexandra Breckenridge back!!!!!

5. J says:

Alex may be GQ hot but she can’t act past those flirty roles lets be real. Taissa is a far better actress, putting looks aside.

6. BANNANA BANA BO BANA says:

Season 3 is going to be about politics and congress. Just TOO MANY hints towards government/Washginton, D.C. to dismiss.

1) “Congress” vinyl spinning. (Ryan Murphy stated you needed to be quick to “SEE” the hint in this episode)

2) Loooooong speech about government tax payers swindling the poor by The Angel of Death’s Mob character. (Ryan Murphy said the hint in this episode would be LONG and more noticeable). Plus–why would such an arbitrary and long-ass speech be recited by a character who’s not even important in the episode?

3) “World Leaders, Stars, Disgraced Politicians” April (the interviewer) in Madness Ends puts significant emphasis on “Disgraced Politicians”. We also know from Ryan Murphy that Season 3 will have more “glamour” in it, so stars (and even world leaders) isn’t a far stretch from the previous, and next, hint.

4) “Kennedy Center”. April also makes multiple mentions to the “Kennedy Center”…a performing arts center located in WASHINGTON, D.C.

There are some more that I can’t think of.

But as of now, and knowing that Season 3 might deal with MULTIPLE types of horror (a la Asylum’s devil, aliens, serial killer, insanity, real-life horrors, etc.),…

7. Sofi says:

All I know is that I LOVE this series and LOVE the cast. Cant wait for season 3!! I really hope Jessica Lange gets a prominent role….shes a beautiful actress.

8. I hope it’s better than the 2nd season I stopped watching it !!!

9. Magically Suspicious says:

Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson had some chemistry that I’d love to see explored in future seasons.

10. I think season two was my favoriote but one will always be a classic.

11. Dennis says:

Jessica Lange is truly a sexy lady. Hollywood needs to realize that older actresses can still be nice to look at!

12. AJ says:

i want to see the first season come back!!!! it was the best i love tate and violit and i want to know what happens with them and what happened with hayden and her anger????? whay do all the seasons have to be separet stories??? they should all tie up together because if theyre separet stories it almost makes it look like all the seasons are completely different shows

13. Tammy Pointer says:

I so loved the first 2 seasons. So glad to see the cast members and that Kathy Bates is in it too I’m excited I can’t wait!!!

14. Jody Scarlett says:

Exactly I love both seasons in differents ways American horror is my top 3 favorite show ever