Ratings: Smash Returns on (Very) Low Note

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Smash Season 2 PremiereSmash… and burn?

NBC’s musical-drama opened Season 2 on Tuesday night with a series-low average of 4.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating across its two-hour run, leading out of the Betty White birthday special (which drew 6 mil/1.5).

RELATED | Smash Season 2 Premiere Recap: ‘Someone’s Always Waiting to Take You Down’

Versus the show’s series launch (11.4 mil/3.8 on a Monday, leading out of The Voice‘s 18 mil/6.7), that marks plunges of 60 and 71 percent.

Compared to its freshman finale (6 mil/1.8, leading out of America’s Got Talent‘s 10.5 mil/3.7), Smash was down 25 and 39 percent.

Also of note, comparing Tuesday apples to Tuesday apples: Parenthood‘s recent Season 4 finale did 4.9 mil and a 1.8, while Smash‘s 10 pm portion dipped to a 1.0 rating. So… Hey, poll!

Over on CBS, NCIS led all of Tuesday in both total viewers (with 21.49 mil, down 3 percent week-to-week) and in the demo (ticking down to 3.7). NCIS: LA (16.6 mil/3.1) dropped just a few eyeballs while steady in the demo opposite Smash‘s opening hour and a special Bachelor. Vegas (10.2 mil/1.6) was down 9 and 16 percent but led the 10 o’clock hour in total viewers.

The CW’s Hart of Dixie (1.44 mil/0.6) was up 9 percent and a tenth (and hit season highs in the 18-34 and W18-34 demos), while the Emily Owens finale (1.5 mil/0.4) added a few eyeballs but was flat in the demo.

ABC’s The Taste (5.3 mil/1.8) rose 10 percent and two tenths in its third week, while a special outing for The Bachelor (7.8 mil/2.6) was up a tenth from Monday and trounced Smash in head-to-head competition.

Over on Fox, a double-pump of Raising Hope (4 mil/1.6) added a few viewers week-to-week, New Girl (4.8 mil/2.5) dipped a tenth and The Mindy Project (3.6 mil/1.9) rose 13 percent and two tenths.

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

Tags: ,

Comments (92)

• Isn’t Bravo trying to get into scripted programming? Smash would be a perfect match for their audience (gays and dolls) its the right studio/parent company, and the audience size would be great for them. Make it happen influential tvline people!!!

Comment by Joe – February 6, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is what you get when you hire a writer who previously sunk another show (GossipGirl). Welcome to Safran sinking shows Smash fans. it won’t get any better and characters won’t resemble the ones you knew. Glad it Smash-ed into the ground in ratings.

Comment by Willa – February 6, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is a lot of talent on Smash, and lots of insights as to how the show is going, good or bad. However, the one person working on Smash that I tend to keep an eye on is Debra Messing – she’s smart and she’s been on prior series before (Ned/Stacy, Will/Grace, Starter Wife). More than any of the others (in front of the camera or behind), she knows what a successful show looks like. Last year when the show first started, there was a good article in TV Guide regarding the production of the show, and Debra said (paraphrase) – “There’s so much talent on this show everywhere I look – I realized that I need to step up my game.” That’s a good sign – it showed things were coming together and Debra was turning it up a notch to keep pace – a good sign.

Then recently I read a cover story in EW magazine where Debra was quoted as saying that she had some concerns about season 2 – the original creator of the show had been replaced, and that’s not always a good sign. I came away from reading that article thinking about Debra’s quotes and thought to myself – Uh oh.

These ratings from last night’s show are shocking, but now that I recall what Debra was thinking and her concerns, maybe I shouldn’t be so shocked. As the other posters have correctly noted, this is not good news for NBC, but this is very, very good news for Parenthood and a renewal fall 2013.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – February 6, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg I love smash so much! I love everything about it bt karen is so unlikeable it almost makes me wanna stop watching. bt the rest of the class is so amazing that I won’t! Lol

Comment by vane – February 7, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed last season and hope it sticks around but like many shows that i like they get chopped i dont pay their bills so i have no say i just enjoy them until they are gone..I must say really tired of reality tv though..

Comment by yaya – February 8, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched a live scripted program in years (just sports, etc.)….but I watched Smash on DVR like everything else, so I don’t know what “live” ratings even mean anymore. (and yes, I skip commercials – sorry!) The show is good, maybe not great, but at least it’s not gunfire, forensics, etc. At least they’re trying to do a “music” show.

Comment by Ron – February 8, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the first hour but was so completely bored I don’t think I’ll be watching it anymore. Can’t be bothered.

Comment by Leslie – February 8, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did you ever think maybe Smash fans are boycotting the show due to Jennifer Hudson’s debut? I’m serious……WHY THE HELL DID THEY SHOVE HER IN THERE? Did someone complain that there’s not enough AF’s in the show? They spent $$$ to merely have her emphasize “watch your back”? It sure isn’t for her singing…..all she does is S-C-R-E-A-M, not sing. Personally, I’m tired of getting these so-called big $$$ celebs being shoved down my throat in a false effort to try and raise ratings!!!

Comment by jackie2830 – February 9, 2013 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i see what youre saying but the woman can sing. what i cant stand is that she is a terrible actress.. the only reason she was good in dreamgirls was half the movie was singing

Comment by mw – February 13, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love this show and the premiere was great

Comment by mw – February 13, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post