New Girl Casts Justified Emmy Winner Margo Martindale as Nick's Mom

Get More: Casting News

margo-martindale120229140712Nick Miller’s New Girl family is expanding.

Justified alumna Margo Martindale has been tapped to play Nick’s mother in a March episode of the Fox comedy, EW.com reports.

RELATED | New Girl Exclusive: House Grad Checks In as Latest Obstacle For Nick and Jess

The hard-nosed and emotional Mama Miller is introduced when Nick and the gang travel to his hometown of Chicago and discover that their roomie is actually the most responsible and mature member of his clan. (Not hard to believe when you remember his con-man dad, recently played by guest star Dennis Farina.)

Meanwhile, mom is skeptical of her son’s relationship with Jess.

Martindale kicks off her recurring role on FX’s The Americans next week.

Comments (13)

• Holy balls, that is picture perfect casting right there. I hope she and Dennis Farina are in an episode together, if not in this one than one in the future.

On a separate note, I’d like to thank the television gods for answering my prayers for more of Mags Bennett on my television. First in The Americans, and now this (and I believe she’s gonna appear in Masters of Sex as well).

Comment by Superhero – February 6, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You beat me to it. I was going to say, I love that Margo Martindale is getting so much work!

Speaking of FX / FOX crossovers, I can’t believe Romy Rosemont, Mike O’Malley and Stephen Tobolowsky all ended up on this week’s Justified. Last show you’d ever think of to play host to a Glee reunion (of sorts).

Comment by Emily – February 6, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Although Stephen Tobolowsky and Gerald McRaney joining TO also constitutes a Deadwood reunion, but you get the idea.

Comment by Emily – February 6, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Great casting choice and really happy to see Margo on my TV!

Comment by k. – February 6, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Meanwhile, mom is skeptical of her son’s relationship with Jess.” So that means Jess and Nick are officially going to be together?!!

Comment by K – February 6, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Judging by the ratings increase in these past two episodes, I’d imagine that Fox is going to force the writers to milk the will they/won’t they/are you a goddamn moron, of COURSE they will for quite some time.

Comment by Superhero – February 6, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jess and Nick are in a relationship right now. It’s just not a romantic relationship.

Comment by iMember – February 6, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’ll probably be skeptical about how her son could be “just roommates” with a girl.

Comment by Ashleah Youn – February 7, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ^ What iMember said.

Nick and Jess are already in a relationship. If anything, Mama Miller is skpetical that it’s just friendship.

Comment by Freddie – February 6, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED the last two eps of New Girl.

Comment by jimbo – February 7, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Margo is on fire lately with castings! I”m so proud, what a terrific actress and really does look like she could be Nick’s mom!

Comment by Kaycee – February 7, 2013 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every parents episode so far had been boring and terrible. Not even Jamie Lee Curtis and Rob Reiner could have saved that Thanksgiving episode. Jess acted like a total LUNATIC and it was NOT funny at all. Her parents divorced when she was a tween. Am I supposed to believe she spent the next 15 years parent-trapping them? NO. Also episode with Nick’s dad..BORING. I deleted that one out of my dvr.

Comment by jjovana3 – February 7, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Jess, just don’t drink her apple pie moonshine. I hear it’s got a real kick.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 7, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post