Pilot News: NBC Orders Ironside Remake, Blair Underwood Nearing Deal to Star

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Blair Underwood Ironside NBCNBC is giving Ironside a contemporary makeover.

The network has ordered a pilot based on the ’60s cop drama, with Blair Underwood is in advance talks to succeed Raymond Burr as the wheelchair-bound detective.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get Scoop on This Fall’s Possible Newcomers, and Who’s in Them

Former Sopranos and Rescue Me scribe Michael Caleo penned the pilot script and serves as an exec producer alongside prolific TV director David Semel and Office EP Teri Weinberg.

The original Ironside debuted on NBC in 1967 and ran for eight years.

Underwood’s TV credits include L.A. Law, Dirty Sexy Money, The Event and In Treatment.

Comments (12)

• In this day and age, it might do the producers well to visibly court actors with actual disabilities for this. Not that I don’t think Blair Underwood is talented, just…I don’t want to deal with another Artie-on-Glee-esque sh*tstorm.

Comment by J – February 5, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100% – and I also think BU will do a great job, but wouldn’t it resonate more if the actor really needed a wheelchair. I know that would grab ME from the get-go.

Comment by Donna – February 5, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree 100% as well

Comment by Michael Lee Kirk – February 5, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People are so politically correct that unfortunately you are right, J. Hiring someone who needs a wheelchair for real will be able to connect with people more. When Ironside was originally on no one cared about that. Eveyone cares about that now.

Comment by lll – February 5, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree so with this so much.

Of course being actually disabled has a lot to do with it. :-)

Comment by Evan – February 5, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the heck is an Ironside?And why should I care about another cop drama?

Comment by Shaun – February 5, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol , the first show ended in 75 , I was ten , I don’t even really remember it

Comment by Joe – February 5, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you read the article? It said Ironside was a ’60s-based cop drama. You could easily do a search online and find out more, but since you don’t care, why are you even asking?

Comment by Vrinda – May 30, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First, it’s NBC. Secondly, it’s NBC! DOA.

Comment by tahina – February 5, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Instead of a crotchety old dude, let’s make him young & black. Why not ditch the wheelchair while you’re at it?

Comment by george – February 5, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the only things remotely resembling the old show are the name and the wheelchair?

Comment by Templar – February 5, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Ironside was on originally you didn’t have ANYONE in a wheelchair, and he became disabled in the pilot. I don’t think the race or whatever matters, if I was casting I’d try to steal Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones. But really why remake it again….FOX already did, very successfully.

Comment by Lora C. Snook – May 7, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post