Cougar Town Actor Joins NCIS: LA Spin-Off

hodge

Edwin Hodge is going to be the NCIS: Los Angeles‘ spin-off‘s resident techie.

The Cougar Town actor has been cast as Kai Ashe in the CBS franchise’s as-yet-untitled planted pilot, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get the Scoop on This Season’s (Possible) Newcomers

We’ll first see the new project — in which a mobile team of agents live and work together as they cross the country solving crimes — as a two-part episode of NCIS: LA airing later this season.

Hodge — the older brother of Aldis Hodge aka Leverage‘s resident techie — guest-starred on NCIS this fall and plays Laurie’s love interest Wade on Cougar Town. His TV credits also include Jack & BobbyPrivate Practice and The Mentalist.

1. Ashley says:

Immediately thought that we now somehow need Aldis Hodge to guest star on an episode, reprising his role as Hardison from Leverage. Or some throw away reference to a hacker he once went up against. Or something! If it’s picked up for a series, that is.

2. Monica says:

yeah – not really too excited about an NCIS LA spin-off.

3. Lily says:

I love the original NCIS and its spinoff, NCIS:LA, but I’m not quite sure how it’ll work with it being a mobile team of federal agents. To me, it’ll be Criminal Minds from a military, albeit Naval/Marine, perspective. Look how the spinoff of Criminal Minds went. I don’t believe that this spinoff will work as well as some hope. If he does, I’ll be glad to be proven wrong, but I’m not going to hold my breath just yet.

4. Jeff says:

Nice pick, too bad they couldn’t have just grabbed his brother instead. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the cast comes together.

• Angel says:

I believe they are going to transplant Deeks and Kensi into that show based on a comment Grainger (sp?) made when he partnered with her earlier this season.

• Alan says:

nah deeks and kensi are part of what makes la good, it would be like taking tony and ziva out of the main ncis and putting them in here. anyway deeks is still technically an la cop so he couldnt be put in a team that operates outside of la

5. mia says:

Does this mean that a Laurie/Travis romance is on the horizon if Wade is seemingly leaving the picture?

6. l2u9 says:

I though it was Hardison hahaha they do look alike

7. Molly says:

Well NCIS was a spin off from JAG and it is doing well. We will see about this new show. It all depends on the cast for me. :)

8. Tran says:

CBS better stop making spin-offs ever again. Like what happen to the demise of Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior back in 2011. Hope the NCIS: L.A. spin-off better not make it as a series or if it gets pick up as a series, ratings could go down the toilet. :-(

• TV Gord says:

I don’t see any logic in this, and I don’t see what one thing has to do with the other.

• Alan says:

both ncis, a spin off of jag, and ncis:la, a spin off of ncis of course, have been wildly successful for them so its only natural that they would want to add to the universe

9. John Krizan says:

why another NCIS spinoff???? why not spin off Joe Spanos FBI agent Fornell and HIS team?!?!?!?!?!

• Gaara says:

Ikr? Or, better yet, a spin-off about the CGIS. Or one about the real oversea offices, like the Middle East one in Bahrain. There are so many interesting possibilities.. This “mobile team of agents live and work together as they cross the country solving crimes” premise is totally dumb -_-

10. itstime4asitdown says:

I want his brother Hardison!

11. TV Gord says:

I remember the same sort of naysayers going on and on about what a bad idea NCIS LA was, too. None of us have any idea how the new show will do, but I guess it’s just safer to predict failure than to go out on a limb and think, hey, maybe it will work. Lemmings.

12. Daisy says:

Okay, did everyone know they were brothers? That’s just crazy!

13. Cat says:

I don’t know why they don’t just call it a NCIS spin-off and not the NCIS:LA spin-off. Makes no sense to me even if I am sure they have some logic for that. It’s just lost on me.

• Alan says:

because its spinning out of an la story not an ncis story. its the exact same as calling la an ncis spin off and not a jag spin off

14. Alan says:

so the hodge family is just made to play hacker/techies then. good to know

15. Lou Ann Steele says:

I saw the spin off and to tell you the truth I didn’t care for the characters. It just didn’t have the chemistry that NCIS and NCIS LA has. True it was a pilot episode, but I just didn’t care about the cast and I think that was pretty telling as far as the chemistry. I seriously don’t think it will work, but for the actors sake I hope it does for them at least.

16. Helen says:

If this is the spin-off which aired earlier as “NCIS-LA RED”, it’s a failure already! The actors and scripts were terrible & the whole idea was silly. Giving it a new name will not change anything!