Cougar Town Actor Joins NCIS: LA Spin-Off

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

hodge

Edwin Hodge is going to be the NCIS: Los Angeles‘ spin-off‘s resident techie.

The Cougar Town actor has been cast as Kai Ashe in the CBS franchise’s as-yet-untitled planted pilot, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get the Scoop on This Season’s (Possible) Newcomers

We’ll first see the new project — in which a mobile team of agents live and work together as they cross the country solving crimes – as a two-part episode of NCIS: LA airing later this season.

Hodge — the older brother of Aldis Hodge aka Leverage‘s resident techie — guest-starred on NCIS this fall and plays Laurie’s love interest Wade on Cougar Town. His TV credits also include Jack & BobbyPrivate Practice and The Mentalist.

Comments (24)

• Immediately thought that we now somehow need Aldis Hodge to guest star on an episode, reprising his role as Hardison from Leverage. Or some throw away reference to a hacker he once went up against. Or something! If it’s picked up for a series, that is.

Comment by Ashley – February 4, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah – not really too excited about an NCIS LA spin-off.

Comment by Monica – February 4, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the original NCIS and its spinoff, NCIS:LA, but I’m not quite sure how it’ll work with it being a mobile team of federal agents. To me, it’ll be Criminal Minds from a military, albeit Naval/Marine, perspective. Look how the spinoff of Criminal Minds went. I don’t believe that this spinoff will work as well as some hope. If he does, I’ll be glad to be proven wrong, but I’m not going to hold my breath just yet.

Comment by Lily – February 4, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice pick, too bad they couldn’t have just grabbed his brother instead. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the cast comes together.

Comment by Jeff – February 4, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe they are going to transplant Deeks and Kensi into that show based on a comment Grainger (sp?) made when he partnered with her earlier this season.

Comment by Angel – February 5, 2013 02:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • nah deeks and kensi are part of what makes la good, it would be like taking tony and ziva out of the main ncis and putting them in here. anyway deeks is still technically an la cop so he couldnt be put in a team that operates outside of la

Comment by Alan – February 5, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this mean that a Laurie/Travis romance is on the horizon if Wade is seemingly leaving the picture?

Comment by mia – February 4, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thinking/Hoping the same thing = ).

Comment by Courtney – February 4, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I though it was Hardison hahaha they do look alike

Comment by l2u9 – February 4, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well NCIS was a spin off from JAG and it is doing well. We will see about this new show. It all depends on the cast for me. :)

Comment by Molly – February 4, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS better stop making spin-offs ever again. Like what happen to the demise of Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior back in 2011. Hope the NCIS: L.A. spin-off better not make it as a series or if it gets pick up as a series, ratings could go down the toilet. :-(

Comment by Tran – February 4, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see any logic in this, and I don’t see what one thing has to do with the other.

Comment by TV Gord – February 5, 2013 03:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • both ncis, a spin off of jag, and ncis:la, a spin off of ncis of course, have been wildly successful for them so its only natural that they would want to add to the universe

Comment by Alan – February 5, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why another NCIS spinoff???? why not spin off Joe Spanos FBI agent Fornell and HIS team?!?!?!?!?!

Comment by John Krizan – February 4, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ikr? Or, better yet, a spin-off about the CGIS. Or one about the real oversea offices, like the Middle East one in Bahrain. There are so many interesting possibilities.. This “mobile team of agents live and work together as they cross the country solving crimes” premise is totally dumb -_-

Comment by Gaara – February 4, 2013 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want his brother Hardison!

Comment by itstime4asitdown – February 4, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember the same sort of naysayers going on and on about what a bad idea NCIS LA was, too. None of us have any idea how the new show will do, but I guess it’s just safer to predict failure than to go out on a limb and think, hey, maybe it will work. Lemmings.

Comment by TV Gord – February 5, 2013 03:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never liked LA as well, even if I tried to give it a chance a lot of times.

Comment by Gaara – February 5, 2013 03:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, did everyone know they were brothers? That’s just crazy!

Comment by Daisy – February 5, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why they don’t just call it a NCIS spin-off and not the NCIS:LA spin-off. Makes no sense to me even if I am sure they have some logic for that. It’s just lost on me.

Comment by Cat – February 5, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • because its spinning out of an la story not an ncis story. its the exact same as calling la an ncis spin off and not a jag spin off

Comment by Alan – February 5, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so the hodge family is just made to play hacker/techies then. good to know

Comment by Alan – February 5, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the spin off and to tell you the truth I didn’t care for the characters. It just didn’t have the chemistry that NCIS and NCIS LA has. True it was a pilot episode, but I just didn’t care about the cast and I think that was pretty telling as far as the chemistry. I seriously don’t think it will work, but for the actors sake I hope it does for them at least.

Comment by Lou Ann Steele – April 2, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this is the spin-off which aired earlier as “NCIS-LA RED”, it’s a failure already! The actors and scripts were terrible & the whole idea was silly. Giving it a new name will not change anything!

Comment by Helen – September 25, 2013 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post