Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Finale Exclusive: No [Spoiler] This Year! Plus — Vote For Your Fave Season-Ender

ELLEN POMPEO, CHANDRA WILSON, SANDRA OHPlane crashes. Bus accidents. Mass shootings. No matter how you slice it, Grey’s Anatomy season finales have not been kind to the doctors of Seattle Grace.

Could this be the year they catch a break?

Series creator Shonda Rhimes tells TVLine exclusively that the Season 9 closer in May will most likely not feature some kind of large-scale disaster.

RELATED | Grey’s Preview: Get the Scoop on Cristina and Owen’s ‘New’ Crisis

“I have a general idea of what the finale is going to be, but it’s been evolving as the season progresses,” she says. “At this moment in time, I would not consider it to be a catastrophe.”

Of course, Rhimes isn’t ruling out other Grey’s finale hallmarks such as breakups, workplace shake-ups and one-off medical maladies — so Meredith, Cristina & Co. are not out of the woods yet.

Thoughts/theories about how Grey’s might close out this season? Also, which of the show’s previous season finales packed the biggest punch in your opinion? Relive all eight climaxes in the gallery below and then vote in our poll.

1. Gladys says:

For me the season finale that packed the biggest punch is S6F. Watching Gary Clark shoot Derek, Meredith misscarrying, Bailey dragging Pierce’s body,etc everything was so freaking intense and vividly painful that even today I hadnt been able to watch it again! I was literally on the edge those two hours. I liked S5 but somehow I wasnt really surprised that John Doe was George, that was kind of predictable. Loved the post it marriage of MerDer and the VO at the end, I admit it is one of my all time fave. Now, as my fave SF, it is definitely S4 with Mer building the candle house to Derek. But as this poll is about the punching gut SF…my vote is for S6.

2. Tracie says:

Biggest punch was shooting and plane crash. But as far as favorites for me it was season two and four finales. Season two because just when you thought Denny was out of the woods after Izzy stole the heart, he flatlines and who can forget Meredith and Derek prom sex. Season four had so much Mer/Der in it and I loved Dr. Wyatt. So healthy, healed Meredith building the candlehouse while yelling she didn’t know if she trusted him….with everyone kissing at the end was bliss.

3. Tania says:

5, 8, 6, 3, 2, 1, 7, 4

My first 3 picks – 5, 8 and 6 – are pretty much tied.
    Then 3
    Then 2
    Then 1
    7 and 4 are tied for the most boring ones. I think 7 would’ve ranked a bit higher if I actually cared about Cristina and Owen

4. twilight123 says:

Definitely 2, 5, and 6! I’m glad to see that everyone seem to be voting for the *right* top three

5. Rhythm Nation says:

I wish I could print this page and burn it from the Internet. I’m still not over Denny or George.

6. Ann says:

The shooting was probably the best one. As for this season, either the birth of Derek and Meredith’s baby or the new millionaires club (plane crash survivors) will buy or somehow save the hospital.

7. Jen says:

The first episode I ever watched of Grey’s was the season 2 finale and that’s what got me hooked on the show so it’s hard not to go with that one! But season 5 had me literally in shock for an hour after it ended and wanting it to be September already to see if George or Izzie survived. Season 6 literally had me on the edge of my seat the entire two hours. It was like watching a movie and it was so tense, well written, and acted. It’s definitely between those three for me. Season 8 is no contest the worst. Killing Lexie was bad enough but killing her in the first 20 minutes then constantly showing the people at the hospital being stupid and funny was worse. I didn’t care. All I cared about was Little Grey was dead and so were my Mark/Lexie :( Since Mark died too I’ll never understand why we couldn’t have gotten a happily ever after for them!

8. L says:

1)6
    2)8
    3)5
    4)2
    5)3
    6)4
    7)1
    8)7

9. Tiffany says:

8TH Season was the most heartbreaking. They killed my girl Lexie. She was my #2 favorite on the show behind Dr. Bailey. I cried the rest of the episode and all through Scandal. This one HURT. Then I took to Twitter to beg for her back and express how wrong and foul this was. AND IT STILL IS!

10. BayonneRita says:

This is a reply about this Season’s Finale: If they end up doing something to Meridith’s and Derek’s baby. I will campaign to have everyone I know stop watching this program.

11. s says:

how about the mid season episodes with Meredith’s hand on the bomb, or the ferry boat crash where no one realized Meredith was missing because the little girl was in shock.

12. chhavi says:

Season 8 finale, when Meredith cried hysterically on Derek’s apparent death in O.R. !! and season 1 finale, I loved Addison’s entry.

13. Matt says:

The list:
    Season 6: Two hours of the most intense episodes I’ve ever seen. No cliffhanger, but what
    an episode. So much drama, so good. It was the best one ever. Saved S6.
    Season 2: When the series was at it’s prime, great two hours with only one natural death.
    Small, beautiful, and so much in so many ways.
    Season 5: Not a great episode or whatever, but the cliffhanger is an epic one, although not
    good after Izzie surviving and leaving in 6×05.
    Season 1: Cool episode, Season 1 rocked. Nothing to say. Not even the original episode,
    but as an standalone it was surprising and fullfulling. The golden age.
    Season 8: It was amazing, and awful at the same time. I mean…what the hell? but it worked
    best in Season 9. But as closure for the amazing Season 8….no. awful.
    Season 7: The smallest finale, I think.It was beautiful in that way, perfect closure to the
    great Season 7. But it was kinda slow in that way, like it was little story to tell.
    Season 3: A good episode, but with all that mess going on, could have been better.
    After Season 1 & 2, it was the end of the golden age. I didn’´t feel like a finale.
    Season 4: I ended up happy after this episode, like it was a series finale. But it was just too
    good. No real drama. And the second worst season.

14. Niki says:

Guys, rewatch the season 2 finale and you will remember that nothing will ever beat the emotional roller coaster of what the episode was. Seriously.

15. Tracy says:

The best of the best was “GEORGIE” dying. I’m with the rest, I can pretty much figure out the storyline, but Shonda had me on this one. I had no idea until the 007 was scrawled in the hand and the eye contact between him and Meredith at that point. Besides, it was the saddest season finale losing George all together.

16. Coleen says:

Season 6.
    I chose to stay up til 4 on a school night watching this because the last two episodes would kill me in curiosity if I didn’t finish them. Utter chills!

17. Stephen S. says:

I’m not a huge fan of the show, but the shooting rampage and plane crash episodes were both fantastic!

18. Michael says:

The superbowl episode with the bomb and the episodes revolving around Meredith drowning made me really care about all the characters and the comradery the share with each other. So those were the standout episodes for me, comparable to season 6’s shooting and season 8’s plane crash. I love it when they’re all in peril together – that’s when the character development, the acting, the dialogue, the tension and the emotion are at its best.

19. Justin says: