Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Finale Exclusive: No [Spoiler] This Year! Plus — Vote For Your Fave Season-Ender

ELLEN POMPEO, CHANDRA WILSON, SANDRA OHPlane crashes. Bus accidents. Mass shootings. No matter how you slice it, Grey’s Anatomy season finales have not been kind to the doctors of Seattle Grace.

Could this be the year they catch a break?

Series creator Shonda Rhimes tells TVLine exclusively that the Season 9 closer in May will most likely not feature some kind of large-scale disaster.

RELATED | Grey’s Preview: Get the Scoop on Cristina and Owen’s ‘New’ Crisis

“I have a general idea of what the finale is going to be, but it’s been evolving as the season progresses,” she says. “At this moment in time, I would not consider it to be a catastrophe.”

Of course, Rhimes isn’t ruling out other Grey’s finale hallmarks such as breakups, workplace shake-ups and one-off medical maladies — so Meredith, Cristina & Co. are not out of the woods yet.

Thoughts/theories about how Grey’s might close out this season? Also, which of the show’s previous season finales packed the biggest punch in your opinion? Relive all eight climaxes in the gallery below and then vote in our poll.

1. Toots says:

George outside the elevator. Nothing will ever beat it.

• Leigh says:

Totally agree. That whole episode – as Meredith realizes the identity of the guy she’s been working on all day to Izzie’s flatline to seeing George outside the elevator – was excellent.

• dude says:

Agreed. The shooting had more buzz but season five’s finale was the better episode. I literally screamed “oh my god!” when they revealed it was George. It was so perfectly executed. Grey’s has never been able to blindside me like that since.

• Gillian says:

For me, George & Izzie was the absilute best, followed by the shooting rampage. Unfortunately, none of the finales since have measured up IMHO.

• Mary says:

Can someone refresh my memory about the season 7 finale? Derek told Meredith they couldn’t be together? I totally don’t remember that one.
          Shooter and George/Izzie were the best. Those two episodes will be hard to top. Fabulous finales!

• Magically Suspicious says:

She tampered with the double blind Alzheimers study that they were doing to ensure that the Chief’s wife would get the drug and not the placebo. That invalidated the entire study and ruined his credibility in the field. Given that she wasn’t even all that sorry she did it…or at least felt like it was worth it in the end….he closed the season with a big question mark that he would ever be able to trust her about anything in the future.

• Rose says:

As John Doe traced his message in Mere’s hand and she said, “O. O. Is that a seven? Double oh…” At THAT point, I gasped and shouted, “Oh my God, it’s George!”

The shooting was more “edge of your seat” (my sister confessed to watching half of the episode through her fingers) and George and Izzy was more emotional. Poor Alex. Both finales were hell on him.

• Elizabeth says:

At that time, my daughter and I were avid fans who never missed an episode and neither of us got the 007 reference. Also, I was always disappointed that George was not gay, partly because I like to be right. The very first season there’s a scene in which he says to his housemates, “You think I’m gay, don’t you?” I figured the big reveal – over time — would be that he was gay and that everyone else knew it before he did. George and Izzie had zero chemistry and the only reason I liked Callie and George as a couple was because Callie’s appreciation of having such a decent guy in her life — who was so different than her Dad and not intimidated by him — won me over. The actor who played George just came off as gay. I thought it was purposeful, good acting. When it was revealed eons later that the actor was gay, I was disappointed. So now he’s on ‘The Good Wife’ and he comes as gay there, too. But then, so does Eli. I just figured that was the unwritten storyline, that Eli was gay and that was why the marriage to his daughter’s mother ended. Wrong again.

• Miranda says:

Hmm… I’d have to disagree, about the coming off gay in Grey’s. I completely believed he was smitten with Mer in the first season. And that the beginning of his relationship with Callie felt fresh and real. But then they went and ruined that by having him sleep with Izzie, out of left field, when they were so obviously just meant to be best friends. And then that got ruined. Sure, he may have jumped into marriage too quickly, but sleeping with Izzie was just stupid. So that I will agree with you on, there wasn’t all that much chemistry between George and Izzie, until the elevator scene.

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa says:

I never cared about that episode, wonder why everyone likes it.

• Leigh says:

Agree 100%. It was a total gut punch.

• Nicole says:

Can someone refresh my memory? What was that “George outside the elevator” scene you’re talking about?

2. Elyse says:

the shooting literally gave me the chills. that’s why it gets my vote. no other finale has ever given me the chills. the plane crash just made me cry hysterically…

3. Jessica says:

Finale should be the birth of Mcbaby.

4. Deion says:

How is ‘George and Izzie Flatline’ not winning this? The Shooting was harrowing, but the doctors were ok. Denny was heartwrenching. The plane crash was devestating. I was jumping up and down on my couch while from the ‘007’ moment until the end!

5. wordsmith says:

Fun to look back at all of the crazy places the show has gone. (btw – this will probably be corrected soon, but pictures 2 and 3 in the gallery appear to have been inserted by accident)

6. jenna says:

season 2 or 5

season 2 because it’s a natural death but so much emotion in it and the MAGIC stick together. Plus Katie Heigl was wonderful!

season 5 because georges ‘s death, the seven thing, Meredith scream, Izzie’s memory back but she die for a moment and the amazing elevator scene!

season 6 was great too or season 8 but it was too much drama, too much lost, too much!

7. Sarah says:

The Season 5 finale was without a doubt one of the most intense moments in my entire TV-viewing history. I watched with a friend and I remember literally screaming at the TV and crying together. I don’t think I’ve ever been as affected by a TV show ever.

• Rebecca says:

Same. I stopped watching for a year because I cried and felt like my best friend died and needed a break from a show that made me feel that way.

8. Rob says:

Season 6 ending was so good it was like a Grey’s movie…and I watched it multiple times, it was that good!

9. Lilys87 says:

I voted for season 1. It was a big surprise but without the over the top drama…
    I prefered the show that way.

• Danielle H. says:

THIS. This show was so great in the first couple of seasons. It’s a completely different show now.

• Liz says:

I totally agree! Season 1, when Addison says “You must be the woman screwing my husband?”, it was an OMG moment…
      But season 2 was good as well, with the last image being Meredith looking between Finn & Derek…

10. Tough one… Seasons 2,5,6 and 8 were EPIC! Seasons 6 and 8 were just so action, so dramatic. I cried through them so much… But I have to say season 8 – it had a bigger clifhanger.

I think this year will end with a few doctors getting fired. I think it’s gonna be Owen, Richard and maybe Meredith.

11. sofia says:

season 5!!!

12. Michelle says:

definitely season 5 finale.

13. And BTW Burke left Cristina, not the other way around!

14. Rashad says:

The Season 6 shooting massacre was TERRIFYING. I wasn’t expecting it at all. It was epic.

15. Azerty says:

I remember how I felt when Meredith figured out the 007 and yelled “Oh God. Oh God it’s Georges”. Probably one of the best/worst crying moment in all the series I have ever watched.
    It was pretty obvious that they can’t bring another catastrophe for Seattle Mercy Death. I wonder what this final will be…

16. Best finale was season 4. I LOVE good finales. Why don’t people realize that punch finales don’t always deliver the best emotions? Geez.

17. omabin says:

season 6, it was insane!

18. Kresh says:

The plane crash is the worst finale to date….. I didn’t really feel it, I saw the whole chaos stranded in the middle of no where a mileeee away, it was boring and the deaths were not fun at all, grey’s anatomy usually kill of their cast in such a great way season 8 was an exception. (A HUGE ONE)

Season 5 ftw!! The acting was top notch and how they expressed their feelings towards George was so intense to watch! only thing I would change was that damn girl that George took a buss for hahaha. :)

• twilight123 says:

Agreed!

• Ally Oop says:

I also agree. Something was lost in the execution of that episode. It just seemed so much of a waste to kill Lexi off. The show was going too much for the shock factor and it made me angry. The episode felt, fake, contrived, out-of-place and I wish Shonda would have had more sense. If Lexi and Mark had to go, I would have rather had them go off together somewhere. Killing them off was senseless and a pathetic ploy at creating a cliffhanger.

• I totally agreed. When you got a couple just discovering and ready to admit their love, I think it’s a shame to end their lives without them being together at least a little while happy.

19. albtrex says:

Season 2, absolutely!!!! I’ve watched that episode a thousand times!!!
    And 2nd place for Season 4, because finally Meredith & Derek were together for good!!!

I loved the final scene of season 5, I loved George so much and I cry everytime I see this scene… But the whole episode was sooooo boring, so I’m not voting for it!!

20. Elf says:

By the way, Burke dumped Cristina, not the other way around.

• Lauren says:

Thank you! I couldn’t decide if I was being nit picky but the more I think about it, that’s a pretty big difference.

21. alwayshappy says:

The shooting finale & Denny dying finales made the most impact. These were incredible episodes.

As for this year I expect something quiet for a finale. I expect some tension within some relationships, but other than that? I don’t know. I want to be surprised!

22. Win says:

Season 2 and 5……Bring back Izzie!

23. marge says:

The shooting gave me chills. Meredith screaming “Oh my God” to reveal that George is the John Doe/the elevator moment produced endless tears. My #1 choice went to Season 2 – not so much because of Denny, but because that was when the show was as it’s prime. And it was able to produce a riveting and heart-squeezing finale without being too stunt-y.
    But for sure, 2, 5, and 6 have been the show’s best finales to date.

24. juan says:

Season 6 finale for sure, I was kinda hysterical throughout the whole thing, I mean I still remeber the whole episode and there was so much suspense, that follwed by season 8 and season 5.

25. SuperSam says:

S6 Finale was the best episode(s) os the series IMO.

26. Alex says:

The finales of seasons 5, 6, and 8 stand out. Not that the others weren’t good, but they were much more low-key and less memorable. As for the Denny finale… I loved him so much. That episode was sad, but it was like an ending instead of a cliffhanger (which seasons 5, 6, and 8 all had). So it didn’t pack the biggest punch, to me.

27. JamandaFan says:

Season 6–when Meredith has a miscarriage–that scene blew me away.

28. tp72 says:

For me it was season one. That is what hooked me on this show forever. My mouth dropped open. The other finales were awesome or even more so than but one is my favorite.

29. axelooo says:

S2 because OMG denny !!!! I cried i cried i cried !! denny !!!
    S5 because i loved georges and meredith when she has knew 007 it’s georges ! OMG what i cried and because it was the end of GA the real GA with meredith georges alex cristina and izzy ! Later many of the new characters arrived but that was never the similar !

• Cris says:

Completly agree! That is when we understood that in GA, nobody is safe.
      I still remember how I jumped out of my bed when Meredith realised it was George; I was in shock, I couldn’t sleep half the night because of it. I had such a strong reaction to it, because as opossed to Season 6, which was filled with tension from start to finish, Meredith’s discovery came out of nowhere. To this day, I can’t remember a season finale that is still so vivid in my mind

30. Dominique says:

Seasons 5 and 6 defintely were the best. Season 5 based on the personal issues taking place, and season 6 for pure suspense and being on the edge of my seat the whole time.
    And BURKE left Cristina at the alter. He made her accept his proposal, made her show up for a wedding she didn’t feel happy about going through with, and then when she got there, HE left HER. Embarassed her in front of everyone. For that alone, Burke will always be my most hated character on that show…

31. kavyn says:

Season 5 was the most intense finale for me. Season 6 was pretty intense too but considering we only lost some newbies it wasn’t as much of an impact to the story.

32. LilyRosie7 says:

I bet that we see a timejump in the season finale. It would forward everyone’s storylines and I think that would be interesting cause I believe season 10 will be Grey’s last

• Mary says:

I like this idea! as long as we get explanations or flashback (does grey’s do flashbacks??) for certain plot points (big twists or huh? moments)..

33. Martin says:

Shocked at how this poll, is going, people have short memories, yes Season 5 and Season 6 had great finales but Season 2 finale was in another league, the first 3 seasons were in another league tot he rest of the show after that.

• Martin says:

Also, how the season is going to end, i think, after listening to what Shonda had to say, is either, the doctors save the hospital from closing or the hospital closes. Kind of hope it closes just because it would make more of an impact and better tv, and then its all fixed in the season 10 premiere.

• Stacey says:

Nah. I could see Meredith and Derek’s baby being born premature. And somehow the hospital stays open (if it’s not solved sooner), and it’s all seen as a rebirth. The hospital is starting anew, while a baby is coming into the world a year after such pain and heartbreak.

• Nayd03 says:

This…
          I think that Addison will be back. Does anyone know if Kate Walsh is doing anything next year? With PP done, she could be going back to GA.

• Brooke says:

Yeah, I’m surprised by it, too. Grey’s finales always pack a punch and I think I’ve enjoyed every single one, but season 2 was just on another level. It’s classic Grey’s at its finest.

34. Steph W. says:

George/Izzie flatlining, and Denny’s death, are tied for me. They both had the same horrible, heartbreaking emotional punch. To this day I’m still not over either of them. I’ll never forget the image of Izzie holding Denny’s body and sobbing after he’d died and Alex carrying her out of the room. Likewise, I’ll never forget the feeling when we found out George was the bus accident patient.

35. I’m sorry, but remembering back to season 2’s finale was just so mesmerizing to me. The acting back then was top notch, the storyline remained fairly grounded in reality, and the show hadn’t yet left its original characters in the dust. Plus, the storyline from season 2 definitely provided the biggest emotional wallop.

36. Crystal says:

Side note: Denny died while Izzy was on her way to him, not in her arms. Even more heartbreaking because she said she could’ve gotten to him but she changed a couple times to look nice for him, or something like that. Izzy and Denny were my tv obsession back then.

37. Court says:

Season Two for sure – that was finale was perfect. The emotion in the scene with Izzie laying by Denny’s side – heartbreaking. So well done.

38. Ed says:

Season 5 will always remain my favorite finale. My jaw hit the floor and the tears started to flow especially when the elevator opens up showing George and Meredith with her “Did you say it…” speech. I will always remember waiting until the west coast was finished airing so Ausiello can deliver the scoop! LOL

• Danielle says:

Her “Did you say it…” speech is my favorite monologue, quote, comment, everything from the whole series. It gives me chills and makes me tear up just thinking about it. I love it.

39. Adrienne says:

I’ve been watching Grey’s from the beginning but I kind of forgot how many crazy emotional season finales this show has had and how many time I’ve literally gasped during them. I really don’t know if I can pick one.

40. Ed says:

Speaking of Season 5 finale, did you know that the finale was filmed with Izzie seeing Denny when the elevator opened, but Shonda thought that was too expected, so she switched it to George. However Katherine was filming somewhere so they had to piece it together so when Izzie is looking at George, Katherine is actually looking at Denny. I’m sure most of you know that, but that always fascinated me.

41. Rosie says:

I agree with the 2, 5, 6 voters but also want to throw a vote in for 4. It wasn’t as heavy, but the candle house was beautiful and the Alex and Izzy moment after Rebecca’s attempted suicide was so heartbreaking. It was probably in that moment that Alex solidified himself as my favorite character. Oh, and Christina figuring out it was time to be a teacher and share what she knows with Lexie. And that all of the couples were in red. The only eh to it all was Callie and Hahn, but that’s just because I never liked Hahn.

42. Drew says:

By the time George died, he and Izzie had been ruined as characters. it was hard to care what happened, since the overall quality of the show was way down by then. the shooting was intense, but by that point, the show was (and is) kinda over the top. the emotions arent as real as earlier seasons.

43. Lindsey says:

Wait, George dying and the shooting were only one season apart?!?!?! How can that be?? I feel like George has been dead for so many years and the shooting seems like just yesterday! That’s so weird!

And George dying was DEFINITELY the craziest, most heart wrenching season finale ever!

44. matty says:

This show is FANTASTIC at great finales, and I must say I do remember each and every one of them. I voted for the Shooting, but was torn between that, the plane crash and Addison arriving for the first time. I remember when Addison shows up, it was a HUGE shock to learn that Derek was married. It was an arrival that packed a punch.

45. hello says:

I can tell you what the worst finale was, the one that was only for shock-value and didn’t add anything to the show and instead subtracted a lot.

46. A says:

The shooting was by far the best one. It gave me chills and was on the edge of my seat. George dying is a close second and I could never forget seeing Izzie crying on the floor when Denny died

47. Michbell says:

Season 3 – Christina dumps Burke? He left her in the back of the church. Season 5 was the worst especially because George had been so limited in the story lines and then BOOM!

48. S says:

4, 2, 5, 1, 6! I don’t understand how a shooting finale is everyone’s favorite?? I myself love S4 finale the best because it wasn’t too crazy or sad but happy especially for MerDer :) but I did LOVE S2/S5 finales just as much.

49. Mayra says:

I can’t decide between seasons 5 and 6.
    When Izzie and George were in the woods, I felt so helpless. I wish that never happened. Like someone has already mentioned, we were blindsided. But when the shooting happened… wow. that’s what I call intense. I cried like a baby for the last hour. even if no ne we would really miss died. It was that good!
    Season 8 finale was shocking, yes, but it mostly annoyed me. When Lexie died, the rest of the episode was suddenly a blur. How can they expect me to pay attention when little Grey is lying dead? I just cried and cried and cried, thinking of how unfair it was and that they shouldn’t have done that

50. Danielle says:

Season 5, starting with George’s impression of Bailey (“Eventually I think you’ll be proud, but first I think you’ll probably be all “What did you do?!””) all the way to Mer’s closing monologue that always leaves me in tears. Also, I love Arizona in this episode. She was perfect in every way. Hands down, best finale ever. The rest of my line-up would be 1, 2, 6, 3, 8, 4, 7.