Idology: Randy Offends, Judges Confound as Idol Season 12 Auditions (Mercifully) End

The American Idol Season 12 auditions are over (as the popular tryout number goes) at laaaaaast. But what happened in San Antonio, Oklahoma City and Long Beach, Calif. may come back to haunt us during Hollywood Week. thanks to the newly configured and mostly astute judges’ panel seemingly losing its focus in the final few audition cities.

On this week’s Idology, my cohost Melinda Doolittle and I discuss the week in Idol-related missteps, while paying special attention to a few of Randy Jackson’s most unfortunate gaffes. Plus, Melinda reveals a (no longer secret) crush, I make a particularly embarrassing verbal stumble, and the two of us ceremonially revoke Golden Tickets from at least a half-dozen singers.

So press play below for the full Idology experience, and for all my Idol-related news, videos, interviews and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. dj says:

Yea, I new Idology to help soothe my 49ers sorrow.

2. Mellie says:

I need my fix!

3. Love it. Always good. Not saying I didn’t like Melinda and Slezak together but Melinda being on that split screen adds a certain dynamic. I don’t know. :) This was a weird week, some really good contestants, but then some terrible ones that went through. I guess they need to have a good amount of bad people to make the cuts easier later on, but still.

4. dj says:

I pretty much agreed with all the golden tickets you wanted to revoke. I liked the people you liked. I found Randy annoying. The only thing I disagreed with is you not liking the Steven Tyler visit. I loved that. I miss him this year. It was great to have an infusion of his humor.

5. Is it bad that I really dislkied Kayden Stephenson’s voice. I give this boy so much credit, and with people going to Hollywood like National Anthem lady, and Peaches, Kayden going to Hollywood isn’t that big of a deal. But I feel like the producers and the judges were so invested in his story(and rightly so) but I feel they disregarded his singing voice. He is a super cute kid with a great personality and unbelievable story but no one really has commented about his lack of vocal prowess. Maybe he can get better, but I just don’t know if it’ll get to the point that a ton of these other contestants also going to Hollywood are already at at this point.

6. Buddo says:

Incredible “kill the dawg” sound effects. well done Mr. Avrett

• Tom22 says:

Yeah they were.

Question for everyone. These are highly edited shows, They don’t even show 45 people getting golden tickets and even show small snippets of the auditions that they do show.

Why do they show scenes with Randy putting his foot in his mouth with racial stereotyping . Its human in a long day to make a stupid joke or two while trying to be clever. I don’t entirely hold those against him because his job is to try to say funny stuff and he’d not really good at it and he can slip (why they’d have someone not good at it is another question) I can’t forgive the “let them eat cake ” line because it is just so illiterate . I’m sure contestants occasionally make some statement about other racial issues that could be taken the wrong way (like mentioning fried chicken or watermelon in some banter with an african american just calls up too many bad memories even if it was done in a friendly sense and started by the contestant i)

Why did they choose to make Randy look bad by leaving those scenes in ? I think the editors are pretty astute and sensitive… are they trying to make him look like an idiot to give viewers more to ridicule ? to give Michael set ups for jokes on ideology ultimately created more buzz for the show via making Randy look stupid?

7. Tom says:

Love you guys. An early Idology makes me sleep better and now I can smile during the day tomorrow thinking about Michael’s unintentional stumble right after chastising Randy. The reaction was hilarious!

P.S. Your use of Ruth Wilson clips is sublime. :)

8. teatime says:

Very funny Idology!
    I don’t agree with revoking Karl’s ticket. He was very entertaining. But I think I agreed with all the rest of the revocation candidates. I agree with the 4 good contestants highlighted at the end. Those are some of the standouts.

• darcy's evil twin says:

thank you! I thought I was the only one. I really liked Karl, although there’s something there that tells me he won’t do well during Group Week.

9. NikkiQM says:

Great idology. I agree with who you wanted to revoke the golden tickets from but I wasn’t the biggest fan of Rachel (I believe that was her name) the last girl you were discussing. I thought she sounded nice but doesn’t compare to other voices we’ve heard in earlier auditions. Hoping Hollywood Week doesn’t disappoint.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Rachel was clearly very popular with viewers. I feel like the odd woman out because I share your sentiment – I liked her but wasn’t blown away. Then again, I wasn’t an instant fan of Haley Reinhart either. So who knows?

10. blah says:

I was hoping that Slezak brought up the sudden interest in white male contestants recently claiming to have “a black woman trapped inside their bodies.” This has happened twice in the past two or three years that I can think of. Always makes me feel awkward

11. AT says:

You used Mass Effect clips! *squee*

I love that it wasn’t even mentioned that Mateus was on The Glee Project and got booted pretty early. Considering the problems he had there, I’m surprised to see him on another reality show.

12. Justin says:

I actually enjoyed the auditions this year for the most part.

13. Don-Paul says:

Jesaiah Baer was my immediate pick from her first boom-boo-bo-bey…… Incredible control and quite a naturally beautiful look also. I say top 4 for her if not better. You Go Gurl…….

14. MB says:

I think Oklahoma was a train wreck and when it was over I said what was that. There were parts that was actually entertaining and hilarious but as far as talent goes it was by far the weakest episode. They put people through that had no business going to Hollywood. The first episode there were people cut that could have sung circles around some of these contestants. It just seemed so wrong.

15. Vetle says:

They can keep their golden tickets. I want to revoke Randy Jackson’s life. (joke)

16. Ann says:

Matt Farmer needs his ticket revoked because he is a liar. I hope American Idol addresses it in an upcoming episode. He lied about his military background and his combat injuries, when in fact he never faced combat and was taken out of duty because he got drunk and mixed alcohol with medication!

• Larc says:

You’ll be happy to know that Matt Farmer’s video has been removed from Road to Hollywood on the Idol site. That happens when somebody is disqualified or otherwise will not be continuing as a contestant. I’m guessing he’ll be edited out of the Hollywood Round.

17. Kim R says:

Yes! Revoke Randy’s ticket!!!! That’s my vote. :)

18. StorytellerGal says:

Still not watching the show. Won’t start till they make it past Hollywood. No sense in getting attached till I know they’ll be around. Yet I still wait anxiously each week for your recap. Better than sitting through 2 hours of Randy time by far!

19. James A says:

A perfect Idology after an excellent Ravens wins against those damnable 49ers! I love the Mass Effect scenes as well! You rock Slezak!

20. igor says:

everyone should watch this with the captions on. hi-larry-us!

21. Anita says:

Unfortunately, one of the singers holding a tarnished ticket makes it all the way to the top 40.

22. marie says:

Here I was, not minding Randy so much this year, letting him sink into the background behind the other excellent new judges, and then he goes and makes fun of that contestant’s name. What a total jerk. What the hell is WRONG with him?!?!?!!!

23. jenna says:

love idology and with u about the randy critiques but images of shooting him??? com’on, that tto much, esp in the current environment. there are other funny ways to critique him, i’m sure.

24. CK says:

Another great Idology. You make me happy Randy’s back because your observations about him are so hilarious! Love you both <3

25. Mari says:

I wish this was 30 min. long! I love idology!

26. Brittany says:

Randy changed his vote when Hollie Cavanagh first auditioned!!!

27. Gale says:

Randy reaches new levels of crass and pointlessness with each episode. Will someone buy Mariah a dickey??

• Paula says:

Yes, or just pull the neck of her dress up a bit and pull her girdle down a bit. There are some undergarments we don’t really need to see.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I absolutely loved Mariah’s blue dress with the flowers around the neckline – if only there’d been a tad more neckline.

28. Paula says:

Great Idology! I laughed so hard when Michael muffed the name :D had to watch it about five times. You are making me want to watch the actual show.

29. MA says:

Hahaha…great Idology! I laughed out loud for almost the entire 11 minutes.
    ******
    The kid with the deaf parents and the teenage jazz singer are where I’m putting my money this season.

30. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Wow, that Star-Spangled Banner was a wreck. There really must’ve been something up with that thanks to producers (as you point out, even Mariah was like what kind of wreck was that- after having just said yes- this does make one worried that they still don’t get it and it’s gonna be producers turning it from reality tv into ‘reality’ tv once again though….). Glad I watched the 30 Rock finale instead.

31. Don-Paul says:

I am watching this season while I am living in Australia. The episodes are fast-tracked to Australian TV 1 day after broadcast. I think it is great that almost all the commercial and print advertising for the show only shows the 3 new judges…..no mention of you know who. We are not alone in our dislike.

• Trouty Mouth says:

I’m also an Australian viewer. I see a lot of buses and taxis around Elizabeth St with Keith Urban. I don’t know what’s happening with his position as a judge/mentor on The Voice AU (my vocal coach was on the show and Keith was his mentor).

32. darcy's evil twin says:

Great Idology, as usual. I always enjoy Mr. Slezak and Melinda Doolittle – Idology just makes me laugh and cheers me up! I do disagree with Mr. Slezak, though – I don’t think the judges “lost their focus” toward the end of the auditions. We know from past experience the show is heavily edited. I think I enjoyed the auditions more than I have in the past – the “Star Spangled Banner” notwithstanding. I am looking forward to this week!
    I am surprised at the preponderance of spoilers out there on the internet. I was trying to look something up about a contestant and couldn’t post the link because I couldn’t find anything that didn’t contain spoilers. I guess with smart phones and social media it’s impossible to keep the information secret. I seem to recall David Cook was called on the carpet because there was a leak – I don’t recall if it was when he made the Top 40 (the contestants weren’t allowed to tell anyone – or I suppose if they did tell someone they’d better be able to keep their mouths shut). I believe The Powers that Be eventually traced the leak about Cook to an internal employee e-mail and Cook was exonerated. Also, wasn’t there a big dustup when Big Mike’s father (don’t recall his last name) from a few seasons ago blabbed to local media about Big Mike making the either the Top 40 or the final 12?

33. Mary says:

Late to the party but I think they all should be revoked from Thursday except the girl with the captain’s hat on, I think her name was Jesiah maybe. She was the only one that made me take a second look, which means she probably won’t make it past Hollywood week.
    I am hoping they didn’t show some that have potential because not too many stood out.

34. DawnieD says:

Thanks for the clip from The Muppets!

35. Julie says:

Michael and Melinda, thank you so much for making me laugh today – I’ve had a tough morning but watching that was a real tonic. You make me want to jump on a plane and head over to the US for a good old bitchfest about Randy! :)
    Incidentally, the word ‘spunk’ have a very, VERY different meaning here in the UK which – gives a whole different meaning to some of the comments Melinda made and, childishly, gave me a real chuckle!!

36. Teeny Bikini says:

I can’t believe I’ve watched this 4 times. I just love it. This was hysterical. And just love when Melinda says Papa Peaches :)