Idology: Randy Offends, Judges Confound as Idol Season 12 Auditions (Mercifully) End

The American Idol Season 12 auditions are over (as the popular tryout number goes) at laaaaaast. But what happened in San Antonio, Oklahoma City and Long Beach, Calif. may come back to haunt us during Hollywood Week. thanks to the newly configured and mostly astute judges’ panel seemingly losing its focus in the final few audition cities.

On this week’s Idology, my cohost Melinda Doolittle and I discuss the week in Idol-related missteps, while paying special attention to a few of Randy Jackson’s most unfortunate gaffes. Plus, Melinda reveals a (no longer secret) crush, I make a particularly embarrassing verbal stumble, and the two of us ceremonially revoke Golden Tickets from at least a half-dozen singers.

So press play below for the full Idology experience, and for all my Idol-related news, videos, interviews and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (55)

• Yea, I new Idology to help soothe my 49ers sorrow.

Comment by dj – February 3, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto what dj said. Can’t turn on the tv or I’ll cry. More thankful for Idology than ever.

Comment by ninergrl6 – February 3, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need my fix!

Comment by Mellie – February 3, 2013 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it. Always good. Not saying I didn’t like Melinda and Slezak together but Melinda being on that split screen adds a certain dynamic. I don’t know. :) This was a weird week, some really good contestants, but then some terrible ones that went through. I guess they need to have a good amount of bad people to make the cuts easier later on, but still.

Comment by IdolBeTheJudge.Blogspot.com – February 3, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I pretty much agreed with all the golden tickets you wanted to revoke. I liked the people you liked. I found Randy annoying. The only thing I disagreed with is you not liking the Steven Tyler visit. I loved that. I miss him this year. It was great to have an infusion of his humor.

Comment by dj – February 3, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think this panel of judges is overall better than last year. But if I could swap out Nicki for Stephen Tyler I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Comment by ben – February 4, 2013 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • replace nicki with steven tyler…i 100% agree. replace nicki with anybody…i agree.

Comment by jean hupfel – February 9, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it bad that I really dislkied Kayden Stephenson’s voice. I give this boy so much credit, and with people going to Hollywood like National Anthem lady, and Peaches, Kayden going to Hollywood isn’t that big of a deal. But I feel like the producers and the judges were so invested in his story(and rightly so) but I feel they disregarded his singing voice. He is a super cute kid with a great personality and unbelievable story but no one really has commented about his lack of vocal prowess. Maybe he can get better, but I just don’t know if it’ll get to the point that a ton of these other contestants also going to Hollywood are already at at this point.

Comment by IdolBeTheJudge.Blogspot.com – February 3, 2013 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you about Kayden.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – February 3, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree as well. I did not believe he agreed to go through.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 4, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, DESERVED to go through. Oops. Shouldn’t get on the computer late at night!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 5, 2013 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Incredible “kill the dawg” sound effects. well done Mr. Avrett

Comment by Buddo – February 3, 2013 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah they were.

Question for everyone. These are highly edited shows, They don’t even show 45 people getting golden tickets and even show small snippets of the auditions that they do show.

Why do they show scenes with Randy putting his foot in his mouth with racial stereotyping . Its human in a long day to make a stupid joke or two while trying to be clever. I don’t entirely hold those against him because his job is to try to say funny stuff and he’d not really good at it and he can slip (why they’d have someone not good at it is another question) I can’t forgive the “let them eat cake ” line because it is just so illiterate . I’m sure contestants occasionally make some statement about other racial issues that could be taken the wrong way (like mentioning fried chicken or watermelon in some banter with an african american just calls up too many bad memories even if it was done in a friendly sense and started by the contestant i)

Why did they choose to make Randy look bad by leaving those scenes in ? I think the editors are pretty astute and sensitive… are they trying to make him look like an idiot to give viewers more to ridicule ? to give Michael set ups for jokes on ideology ultimately created more buzz for the show via making Randy look stupid?

Comment by Tom22 – February 6, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love you guys. An early Idology makes me sleep better and now I can smile during the day tomorrow thinking about Michael’s unintentional stumble right after chastising Randy. The reaction was hilarious!

P.S. Your use of Ruth Wilson clips is sublime. :)

Comment by Tom – February 3, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very funny Idology!
    I don’t agree with revoking Karl’s ticket. He was very entertaining. But I think I agreed with all the rest of the revocation candidates. I agree with the 4 good contestants highlighted at the end. Those are some of the standouts.

Comment by teatime – February 3, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thank you! I thought I was the only one. I really liked Karl, although there’s something there that tells me he won’t do well during Group Week.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 4, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great idology. I agree with who you wanted to revoke the golden tickets from but I wasn’t the biggest fan of Rachel (I believe that was her name) the last girl you were discussing. I thought she sounded nice but doesn’t compare to other voices we’ve heard in earlier auditions. Hoping Hollywood Week doesn’t disappoint.

Comment by NikkiQM – February 3, 2013 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rachel was clearly very popular with viewers. I feel like the odd woman out because I share your sentiment – I liked her but wasn’t blown away. Then again, I wasn’t an instant fan of Haley Reinhart either. So who knows?

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 4, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping that Slezak brought up the sudden interest in white male contestants recently claiming to have “a black woman trapped inside their bodies.” This has happened twice in the past two or three years that I can think of. Always makes me feel awkward

Comment by blah – February 3, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You used Mass Effect clips! *squee*

I love that it wasn’t even mentioned that Mateus was on The Glee Project and got booted pretty early. Considering the problems he had there, I’m surprised to see him on another reality show.

Comment by AT – February 3, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually enjoyed the auditions this year for the most part.

Comment by Justin – February 3, 2013 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesaiah Baer was my immediate pick from her first boom-boo-bo-bey…… Incredible control and quite a naturally beautiful look also. I say top 4 for her if not better. You Go Gurl…….

Comment by Don-Paul – February 4, 2013 03:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Oklahoma was a train wreck and when it was over I said what was that. There were parts that was actually entertaining and hilarious but as far as talent goes it was by far the weakest episode. They put people through that had no business going to Hollywood. The first episode there were people cut that could have sung circles around some of these contestants. It just seemed so wrong.

Comment by MB – February 4, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They can keep their golden tickets. I want to revoke Randy Jackson’s life. (joke)

Comment by Vetle – February 4, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Farmer needs his ticket revoked because he is a liar. I hope American Idol addresses it in an upcoming episode. He lied about his military background and his combat injuries, when in fact he never faced combat and was taken out of duty because he got drunk and mixed alcohol with medication!

Comment by Ann – February 4, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’ll be happy to know that Matt Farmer’s video has been removed from Road to Hollywood on the Idol site. That happens when somebody is disqualified or otherwise will not be continuing as a contestant. I’m guessing he’ll be edited out of the Hollywood Round.

Comment by Larc – February 4, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Revoke Randy’s ticket!!!! That’s my vote. :)

Comment by Kim R – February 4, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still not watching the show. Won’t start till they make it past Hollywood. No sense in getting attached till I know they’ll be around. Yet I still wait anxiously each week for your recap. Better than sitting through 2 hours of Randy time by far!

Comment by StorytellerGal – February 4, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A perfect Idology after an excellent Ravens wins against those damnable 49ers! I love the Mass Effect scenes as well! You rock Slezak!

Comment by James A – February 4, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • -infinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 4, 2013 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • (this doesn’t apply to your second or third sentences, just the infinitely evil one)

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 4, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • everyone should watch this with the captions on. hi-larry-us!

Comment by igor – February 4, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for mentioning this, the captions give what they say a whole new meaning! :-)

Comment by TC – February 4, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks Igor. It gives a whole new meaning…….
      “two death parents”
      “hyman”
      “when she went into the fat part of it”
      “spitz home”

Comment by Don-Paul – February 4, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unfortunately, one of the singers holding a tarnished ticket makes it all the way to the top 40.

Comment by Anita – February 4, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, right? What the hell were they thinking?

Comment by IdolFlash-7-9-35 – February 4, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be fair, we don’t know how they did in Hollywood.

Comment by Justin – February 4, 2013 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here I was, not minding Randy so much this year, letting him sink into the background behind the other excellent new judges, and then he goes and makes fun of that contestant’s name. What a total jerk. What the hell is WRONG with him?!?!?!!!

Comment by marie – February 4, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love idology and with u about the randy critiques but images of shooting him??? com’on, that tto much, esp in the current environment. there are other funny ways to critique him, i’m sure.

Comment by jenna – February 4, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another great Idology. You make me happy Randy’s back because your observations about him are so hilarious! Love you both <3

Comment by CK – February 4, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish this was 30 min. long! I love idology!

Comment by Mari – February 4, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Randy changed his vote when Hollie Cavanagh first auditioned!!!

Comment by Brittany – February 4, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Randy reaches new levels of crass and pointlessness with each episode. Will someone buy Mariah a dickey??

Comment by Gale – February 4, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, or just pull the neck of her dress up a bit and pull her girdle down a bit. There are some undergarments we don’t really need to see.

Comment by Paula – February 4, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely loved Mariah’s blue dress with the flowers around the neckline – if only there’d been a tad more neckline.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 5, 2013 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Idology! I laughed so hard when Michael muffed the name :D had to watch it about five times. You are making me want to watch the actual show.

Comment by Paula – February 4, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    ******
    The kid with the deaf parents and the teenage jazz singer are where I’m putting my money this season.

Comment by MA – February 4, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, that Star-Spangled Banner was a wreck. There really must’ve been something up with that thanks to producers (as you point out, even Mariah was like what kind of wreck was that- after having just said yes- this does make one worried that they still don’t get it and it’s gonna be producers turning it from reality tv into ‘reality’ tv once again though….). Glad I watched the 30 Rock finale instead.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 4, 2013 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am watching this season while I am living in Australia. The episodes are fast-tracked to Australian TV 1 day after broadcast. I think it is great that almost all the commercial and print advertising for the show only shows the 3 new judges…..no mention of you know who. We are not alone in our dislike.

Comment by Don-Paul – February 5, 2013 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m also an Australian viewer. I see a lot of buses and taxis around Elizabeth St with Keith Urban. I don’t know what’s happening with his position as a judge/mentor on The Voice AU (my vocal coach was on the show and Keith was his mentor).

Comment by Trouty Mouth – February 7, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Idology, as usual. I always enjoy Mr. Slezak and Melinda Doolittle – Idology just makes me laugh and cheers me up! I do disagree with Mr. Slezak, though – I don’t think the judges “lost their focus” toward the end of the auditions. We know from past experience the show is heavily edited. I think I enjoyed the auditions more than I have in the past – the “Star Spangled Banner” notwithstanding. I am looking forward to this week!
    I am surprised at the preponderance of spoilers out there on the internet. I was trying to look something up about a contestant and couldn’t post the link because I couldn’t find anything that didn’t contain spoilers. I guess with smart phones and social media it’s impossible to keep the information secret. I seem to recall David Cook was called on the carpet because there was a leak – I don’t recall if it was when he made the Top 40 (the contestants weren’t allowed to tell anyone – or I suppose if they did tell someone they’d better be able to keep their mouths shut). I believe The Powers that Be eventually traced the leak about Cook to an internal employee e-mail and Cook was exonerated. Also, wasn’t there a big dustup when Big Mike’s father (don’t recall his last name) from a few seasons ago blabbed to local media about Big Mike making the either the Top 40 or the final 12?

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 5, 2013 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Late to the party but I think they all should be revoked from Thursday except the girl with the captain’s hat on, I think her name was Jesiah maybe. She was the only one that made me take a second look, which means she probably won’t make it past Hollywood week.
    I am hoping they didn’t show some that have potential because not too many stood out.

Comment by Mary – February 5, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the clip from The Muppets!

Comment by DawnieD – February 5, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael and Melinda, thank you so much for making me laugh today – I’ve had a tough morning but watching that was a real tonic. You make me want to jump on a plane and head over to the US for a good old bitchfest about Randy! :)
    Incidentally, the word ‘spunk’ have a very, VERY different meaning here in the UK which – gives a whole different meaning to some of the comments Melinda made and, childishly, gave me a real chuckle!!

Comment by Julie – February 6, 2013 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe I’ve watched this 4 times. I just love it. This was hysterical. And just love when Melinda says Papa Peaches :)

Comment by Teeny Bikini – February 8, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post