Beyoncé's Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show: What Did You Think? Take Our Poll!

destinys child superbowl halftime showWho runs the world? Beyoncé, of course.

The “Single Ladies” singer promised in a press conference leading up to her performance at the Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show (AKA “The Beyonce Bootylicious Mini-Concert, Brought to You by Some Football Game”) that she was “well-rehearsed” and would “absolutely” be singing live. Not only did she live up to her promises, but she did so while executing the kind of beastly/eye-popping choreography few of her contemporaries would attempt without the promise of an oxygen mask descending from the ceiling. Granted, there may not have been a ton of actual vocalizing, but the show-closing “Halo” was powerful and totally in tune, and the mid-set emegence of Destiny’s Child cohorts Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland was a squee-worthy (if expected) delight.

If I had any complaint, it’s that I could’ve used an extra two or three minutes of the good stuff: “Survivor,” “Run the World (Girls),” “Jumpin’ Jumpin'” and “Get Me Bodied” were especially missed. And how come Bey chose to use a pre-recorded version of Sean Paul’s rap on “Baby Boy” when you know dude woulda shown up and done his part if asked? Also: No Jay Z? No Dreamgirls costar Jennifer Hudson (who was already in the house)? No Solange? (Okay, maybe I’m the only one obsessed with Beyoncé’s little sis. Watch this YouTube video, though, and you will be, too.) Either way, there wasn’t much in the way of special guests.

RELATED | Super Bowl 2013: Jennifer Hudson & Sandy Hook Kids Tackle ‘America the Beautiful’ — Thoughts?

But let’s go back to the beginning: Dressed in a draped black leather minisdress (that was eventually and quickly reduced to a bustier/bathing suit with black lace skirt), Beyoncé began smack in the center of the New Orleans Superdome (against a gigantic flaming silhouette of her bodacious frame), belting “Love on Top” in the process. The performance included heavy use of a shiny black backdrop and floor, which were used to project various graphic images and holographs (especially nifty for the at-home viewer). From there, her ferocious setlist was as follows:

“Crazy in Love” (complete with the signature “uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh, oh-no-no” dance — yes!)
“Till the End of Time” (loved the “Blue Steel” Beyoncé served at the end)
“Baby Boy” (way to smash the imaginary glass with one’s badonkadonk!)

RELATED | Super Bowl 2013: Alicia Keys Sings the National Anthem — What Did You Think?

“Bootylicious” (When Kelly and Michelle from Destiny’s Child popped out of the stage floor to join the festivities, I will admit that I seal clapped and howled with delight. “I DON’T THINK THEY CAN HANDLE THIS!”)
“Indepedent Women” (another must-include number that allowed Beyoncé to share the vocals)
“Single Ladies” (with at least 100 backup dancers mimicking Bey’s every move and an ad-libbed “Where my ring?” that made me guffaw)
“Halo” (the Lady Knowles’ strongest vocal of the night, growly and intense!)

RELATED | Super Bowl 2013: Reviewing the Commercials (from the 1st Half) — Plus: Rewatch Them Here!

With that, I pass the baton to you. What did you think of Beyoncé’s Halftime Show performance? How did it compare to Madonna’s extravanagnza from last year’s Super Bowl XLVI? Take our poll below, then hit the comments and expand on your thoughts. And come back to TVLine after the game and tomorrow morning for all your Super Bowl pop-cultural recapping needs!

1. Wow so much Beyonce hate in this thread. I thought she was good. Not spectacular, but definitely entertaining. Not an easy thing to do.

2. Tami says:

She’s a slutty whore! 100% inappropriate for an NFL family game. All she was missing was the pole. Big fail CBS!

3. PN says:

Audio engineers know that any musician or singer performing live in front of a minimum of 500 people or more will have amplifiers present so they can discern their voice and musical instruments precisely. There were no amplifiers at the super bowl. I saw the Ohio Players in Chicago many years ago and that stage was literally stacked with amps. That is what a real live performance entails and any one who begs to differ just didn’t wear headphones while watching Beyonce. Having an open microphone is a very convincing deception so is the phony smoke and fog. But that’s the norm…ask Brit-Spears…eek-ohh. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone connected with this half-time event spills the beans eventually. Let’s face it, CBS, NFL, GE, plus other sponsors don’t wan’t wardrobe or mouth malfunctions. They painstakingly produce every second of detail; thus leaving nothing to chance. After all, now that reality tv producers admitted their productions are all scripted and acted; then similarly that same control is employed with the Supe Bowl production. The most recent example was Mr. Pete Townsend of “the Who.” At the end of their hurricane Sandy 12-12-12 benefit concert set, shouted clearly and intentionally “go have a F’ing beer!’ Also, the chief sound executive at CBS may have inadvertantly potted down the natural crowd sound a bit too much and therefore made Beyonce’s entire pre-recorded performance sound way, too studio recorded. Replay the performance on your DVR and listen carefully with decent headphones. The decibel rates for crowd and performers must be identical if its live. But this was not live. which means the CBS executives had a Source to turn up the gain. That source was a master copy of her pre-recorded show.

4. Prudence says:

Just because the designer used leather as the material for her outfit, does not qualify it as S&M clothing. Wonder Woman’s superhero costume is more revealing — Lynda Carter showed way more skin in 1979 than Beyonce did last night.

5. MyraDee says:

Beyonce is overrated, over-hyped, and fake to the core!! All she needed was a stripper’s pole!! Nothing special about that Superbowl performance!!! I was embarrassed by that trashy display. No jealousy here because I am a good looking and sexy but can’t sing a tone at all, but I know talent and class when I see it and that was absent in that raunchy performance. Every raunchy song sounded the same!! If she really had talent, she would not need to parade around like tramp-her voice would speak for itself. On a scale of one to ten, her vocals are a four point three on a good day. She ruined the Superbowl halftime show for me-Lots of flash and trash but very little substance…

6. BEM says:

I agree with most of people who said about the 3D effect, because that and the choreography is what saved the half time show. I felt like I was at a Go-Go bar but on TV, it was SHAMEWFUL that they have to bring on someone dressed like a PROSTITUTE for an event when many of the people are watching are with their family including children. What lesson are we teaching our kids?

Sorry if I want to see T & A I will go to a Go-Go bar. Also she was definitely lip-synching most of that disgusting performance.

It was HORRIBLE. I rather have seen the Black Eyed Peas again because they put on a REAL show during their half time performance rather than yesterday’s freak show.

7. Slatina Whorinova says:

I was never fond of Beyonce or Destiny’s Child’s songs. Most seemed like they couldn’t think of lyrics and just repeated words and phrases over and over. “To the left, to the left,” “Bills, bills, bills,” “Jumpin’, Jumpin’,” “Say my name, say my name,” “All the single ladies, all the single ladies,” “Halo, halo, halo,” “Run the world (girls),” etc.

8. jochei1 says:

Wow!!! What a great show. Halo was the best for me. She killed it! Wow!!!

9. agate cameo says:

I really like looking through a post that can make men and women think. Also, thanks for allowing for me to comment!|

10. media stock says:

Hi just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same outcome.|

11. It is really a nice and helpful piece of information. I am happy that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.|