Beyoncé's Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show: What Did You Think? Take Our Poll!

destinys child superbowl halftime showWho runs the world? Beyoncé, of course.

The “Single Ladies” singer promised in a press conference leading up to her performance at the Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show (AKA “The Beyonce Bootylicious Mini-Concert, Brought to You by Some Football Game”) that she was “well-rehearsed” and would “absolutely” be singing live. Not only did she live up to her promises, but she did so while executing the kind of beastly/eye-popping choreography few of her contemporaries would attempt without the promise of an oxygen mask descending from the ceiling. Granted, there may not have been a ton of actual vocalizing, but the show-closing “Halo” was powerful and totally in tune, and the mid-set emegence of Destiny’s Child cohorts Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland was a squee-worthy (if expected) delight.

If I had any complaint, it’s that I could’ve used an extra two or three minutes of the good stuff: “Survivor,” “Run the World (Girls),” “Jumpin’ Jumpin'” and “Get Me Bodied” were especially missed. And how come Bey chose to use a pre-recorded version of Sean Paul’s rap on “Baby Boy” when you know dude woulda shown up and done his part if asked? Also: No Jay Z? No Dreamgirls costar Jennifer Hudson (who was already in the house)? No Solange? (Okay, maybe I’m the only one obsessed with Beyoncé’s little sis. Watch this YouTube video, though, and you will be, too.) Either way, there wasn’t much in the way of special guests.

RELATED | Super Bowl 2013: Jennifer Hudson & Sandy Hook Kids Tackle ‘America the Beautiful’ — Thoughts?

But let’s go back to the beginning: Dressed in a draped black leather minisdress (that was eventually and quickly reduced to a bustier/bathing suit with black lace skirt), Beyoncé began smack in the center of the New Orleans Superdome (against a gigantic flaming silhouette of her bodacious frame), belting “Love on Top” in the process. The performance included heavy use of a shiny black backdrop and floor, which were used to project various graphic images and holographs (especially nifty for the at-home viewer). From there, her ferocious setlist was as follows:

“Crazy in Love” (complete with the signature “uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh, oh-no-no” dance — yes!)
“Till the End of Time” (loved the “Blue Steel” Beyoncé served at the end)
“Baby Boy” (way to smash the imaginary glass with one’s badonkadonk!)

RELATED | Super Bowl 2013: Alicia Keys Sings the National Anthem — What Did You Think?

“Bootylicious” (When Kelly and Michelle from Destiny’s Child popped out of the stage floor to join the festivities, I will admit that I seal clapped and howled with delight. “I DON’T THINK THEY CAN HANDLE THIS!”)
“Indepedent Women” (another must-include number that allowed Beyoncé to share the vocals)
“Single Ladies” (with at least 100 backup dancers mimicking Bey’s every move and an ad-libbed “Where my ring?” that made me guffaw)
“Halo” (the Lady Knowles’ strongest vocal of the night, growly and intense!)

RELATED | Super Bowl 2013: Reviewing the Commercials (from the 1st Half) — Plus: Rewatch Them Here!

With that, I pass the baton to you. What did you think of Beyoncé’s Halftime Show performance? How did it compare to Madonna’s extravanagnza from last year’s Super Bowl XLVI? Take our poll below, then hit the comments and expand on your thoughts. And come back to TVLine after the game and tomorrow morning for all your Super Bowl pop-cultural recapping needs!

1. emcee says:

Tom Petty was the WORST halftime show in recent memory. Girl, please

2. Mo says:

To all of the negative comments…why do u care, r u losing sleep,hair, or weight. It was entertaining. Get some sleep, wake up, and try it again tomar.

3. igor says:

I’ve watched it several times. Can’t figure out why she lipsynched the beginning of Halo.

4. igor says:

It was an adventurous as Madonna.

5. Synthia says:

Beyonce halftime show was good and she sound great BUT I expected more fireworks. Maybe adding Jay-Z or a bigger light show or something a little more dramatic. She didn’t leave me with a ‘WOW’ feelin. It’s not like you go to work sayin “Did you see that great halftime show.” Too much hype leading up to the show made it a bigger let down.

6. Tom Charles says:

I have the strangest feeling it’s going to be a long while before there’s a half time show I like

7. The Squatch says:

What this performance really needed was a guy jumping up and down on a rope behind her…

8. ejknight says:

Everything was fine except she shouldhave exposed her bare genitals.

9. Parent of 8 year old boy says:

Super Bowl is supposed to be family viewing.

It is unfortunate that Beyonce did not showcase her beautiful voice keeping in mind her collective audience. I love her voice and some of her songs.

Instead she chose vulgar gestures and trashy costumes that are similar to her videos and concerts.

It sends the wrong message to our young daughters about self respect and to our sons about respecting women.

I don’t know if I am more disappointed in her choices or our society that fuels those choices.

• cpf says:

Totally agree…

When she started she would always say ” I’m about keeping outfits and performances classy and showing vocal skills”. She has totally sold out and married to a rapper that has never had a respectful thing to say about women in his lyrics reflects that so it seems that her performances are now about just lip synching and needing a pole. I find her to hypocritical now.

10. Alicia says:

Totally agreed swinging her soo, so, so,so,burlesque but not for Super Bowl halftime,!

11. John Grose says:

Super Bowl XLVII – the night millions of boys across America spontaneously hit puberty.

12. Vincent Bonfilio says:

Madonna had a whole production with singing, dancers, theatrics, and lots of surprising guests. Beyonce sang a few songs, danced with every one, and added special guests the very unsurprising reunion with Destiny’s Child. And did everyone notice she only sang to one side of the stadium; the side with the cameras. I feel bad for the side who only got her back. She’s so good and had a stage for millions, but just fell flat on her face. Epic fail.

13. DeeDee says:

Yeah I totally agree I was not impressed by that performance on bit. It left me just thinking, it that it????. I do think Beyonce is very talented, but it is obvious by that performance that she didn’t put much effort into the production on the show, and this is understanble she is a new mom, but if she wasen’t going to give it her all she should have turned down the offer to perform and let someone that would have put more passion into the act, instead of justwanting to flirt with the camera for everyone to see her. No hating here that is just what I see as the facts.

14. Brennie says:

Puuuuuullllllease! This chick needs to sit down. Poor DChild was only used to further this girl from day one! Same. Boring. Routine. Why wont somebody, anybody tell this girl her time has passed. Go do Vegas or something. But she still hanging on. I loved Jhud and Akeys was ok. B head and ego is way too big. Some advice: get a firm booty, thighs and arms (chile you jigglin). Stop using kelly and michelle, and oh yeah, you can stop hiding your kid that your embarrassed to show because, Who Cares! Where is Rihanna when you need her.

• DDB says:

Rihanna’s probably in a studio processing her lackluster vocals for her new album that will be released next month.

• JT says:

Rihanna!? Really!? Before anyone asks Rihanna to perform at the Super Bowl please tell her to put the beer down, stop smoking, and get the hell away from Chris Brown.

15. DDB says:

I’m loving these comments. People who say she only sang for 30 seconds must have been watching an entirely different show than I was. Aside from the big dance moments (which she always drops her vocal on), she sang every note she should have sung. Also, some of you need to really visit a strip club if you’re comparing her performance to that.

16. Rhythm Nation says:

See one Beyonce performance, you’ve seen them all.

17. Dave says:

my son asked why there was a stripper dancing during half time… all that was missing was a pole

18. Tvwatcher says:

That was not entertainment to me, that was boring as heck… I pretty much turned the channel half way through, maybe next year they can get real singers, I vote for Adele at least she would bring class to the Superbowl. Something that’s been lacking for the past few years ;)

19. Polly says:

such a waste for a Destiny’s Child reunion.
    not a bad show but too much dance and too little singing.

20. You mean Beyonce’s Women’s Victoria’s Secret Lingerie fashion booty shake show? The audio sucked bad, being polite. While she’s very pretty, talented, and attractive, she sold out her hits and music credibility by using the sex card. The only thing missing from this performance were enough poles to go around for the her and her dancers which her management could have acquired from men’s clubs in the immediate area. Understandably fans would come to her defense. Sex is a part of the equation for all shows of this nature. The balance is in the sex to talent factor which was the failure. Madonna’s show kicked Beyone’s ass while AC/DC knows how to put women on bikes in a video and balance the music and sexuality equally. Not pro rock, just know how it works.

21. Robert Kendall says:

I thought it was disgusting. She needed to wear more clothes. Alicia keys and jennifer Hudson looked awesome and very classy. Beyonce looked like she was wearing her underwear in public. Maybe she should read the book “the emperors new clothes”

22. Shirley L. says:

So boring, my peeps nearly fell asleep – YAWN…

23. Pru says:

Inappropriate? I guess everyone forgot Madonna thrusting her pelvis in front of a dancer, doing a cartwheel into a dancer’s crotch, and rapper M.I.A. flipping her middle finger into the camera during last year’s Halftime Show.

• Hollywood says:

I totally agree. These idiots who are commenting negatively forgot the disgusting & pathetic has-been Madonna’s ridiculous show last year…. It’s jealousy.

24. Hollywood says:

The BEST halftime show in history! Beyonce is current & fresh & commands the stage. Bringing Destinys Child to perform, was a class act. For those who have commented negatively, you all probably also voted for Romney….get with it!

25. Matt says:

Phenomenal performance. And for those to say she wasn’t singing live, what were you watching?? She clearly sang live.

26. intelliwoman says:

She proved what i have always said SHE IS NO SINGER she is an entertainer.

27. Julie says:

I can’t agree with you more. That was my first exposure viewing this woman. I can’t even remember her face. All I can conjure up is her thighs smacking together winking her crotch at the camera. It was gross and a set back for women. I went to her page this morning hoping to put a face to the sex parts… And I am further horrified that she made her performance all about “success for blacks”. Really? I was a white girl in the 80s growing up in a world where girls idolized Whitney Houston because she could SING! She had class, poise and was just beautiful. Prince was racy but cool as Hell and Michael Jackson was in his prime. I never saw color nor did my friends. We loved Bob Marley or Sting or Whitney, or John Cougar or Tina Turner because they were COOL and they could sing. NOT because of color. Only in the past 4-8 years has color been an issue thrown in my face by the media and performers and I am sick of it. Beyonce is a setback for women both black and white and she should be ashamed of herself.
    PS…. The teens in the room both male and female were disgusted with her. That should speak volumes. You would think that the teens would have defended her performance but their opinions were harsher than mine. (mixed race room by the way)

28. Amy E says:

I was waiting for Justin to come out and dance!!!

29. JON says:

I was disappointed. It was so so. The stage and effects were not as good as Madonna’s last year. Didn’t love the choice of songs in the middle part.

Loved how Michelle and Kelly popped out of nowhere. But seriously, did anyone think Beyonce had their mic’s volume lower than hers? I could barely hear them.

30. Matt says:

I respect Beyonce but they could of done the same show with the same results with just the backup dancers. She sang what maybe 15% of the time.

31. Kelly Rowland. says:

BITCH lowered the volume of my microphone.

32. Scott says:

YAWN!!! Madonna was at least exciting. Beyonce should seek legal advice on how to change her name to Bouncey because that is about all she did…I agree it looked like a bad act from a strip club.

33. everett wilder says:

Had to turn it off. I felt like I was allowing my children to watch cabaret. I hate that as parents you have to wince whenever a commercial comes on too hoping you don’t see things that children aught not to see. All this does is sexually charge our youth, even more. I know it’s what the world wants to watch but is it right/proper to have it on public TV. If you want your kids to see that stuff take them with you to eat at Hooters.

34. Christopher says:

Anyone can put on a light show and have someone sing…It was one of least memorable half time shows I have seen in a long time.

35. Gailer says:

Can’t stand her attitude

36. Di says:

Half time show totally inappropriate and in the worst possible taste. Super Bowl is prime time family viewing…..We don’t need S&M and dominatrix outfits with vibrating crotches in front of our children. The only thing missing was the whips and chains. It just goes to show that sex sells, and the Super Bowl sold out. Shame on them and shame on Beyonce. I used to think she had more class than that.

• everett wilder says:

Totally agree with you. And we wonder why the moral fabric of our society is deteriorating. We make idols out of over sexed reality show stars and singers. That’s what our youth aspires to be when they grow up. So sad.

37. Diana says:

Look…it wasnt the greatest halftime show ever, but cmon…enuff with calling it ghetto, a stripper review, and sayin she has a big booty (duh). I agree that she could have done more singing and less gyrating, but there is no need for all that nasty stuff to be said about her. She looked great for having had a baby just over a year ago, but I wish she would have covered up a wee bit more because kids were watching. Also, there was no need for licking your finger and having your hands roam…save that for concerts where people have to pay to see you… Also, I think that stage with the silhouette of her stole all the power. LOL. What ever happened to dancing without such sexual innuendos?
    Its sad when people who can sing wont, and just rely heavily on sex appeal to carry them through their performances.

38. B says:

The only thing “beastly” or “eye-popping” about the supposed choreography was, to me, how little of it there actually was. I’d say 95% of her time was spent strutting back and forth, grinding her hips and making sexy-eyes at the camera. It was the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show: Leather Edition.

I’m pretty sure she did sing parts of it live, but it was glaringly obvious during the Destiny’s Child portion that there was at minimum a full on backing track, as the singing went right on without their mouths moving for a good 5-10 seconds.

39. chrisee says:

Read allllll the comments.. I myself was thrilled with the performance.. but what would have been a beautiful thing woulda been… have the children from Sandy Hook come on the stage with her and her sing a beautiful song for those victims and release balloons into the air for each child that was lost.. call me kooky.. but something like that would have been a beautiful gesture.. and something to rave about

40. chrisee says:

excuse my typo… “i was” thrilled with her performance… meant to say i WASNT thrilled..

41. vivian says:

Great role model, Beyonce!! Lingerie, stripper grinds, slutty all the way….just what this country needed to see……..Beyonce’s crotch!!

42. what? says:

Enough with the bring back rock bands bs.. there are different genres of music. Not everyone likes rock. Sorry Beyonce is what’s selling right now. Yu may not like her but there are millions that do…

43. what? says:

Madonna has been humping stages butt naked way before Beyonce so stop acting like she created it

44. huh says:

I feel sorry for the other two women of Destiny’s Child that had their microphone volume turned down so low that you could not hear them. It harkens back to the stories of Beyonce’s rise to fame and seemed more like throwing them a bone than a “reunion”
    I was amazed that she was as suggestive as she was with her hand placement (at one point she was nearly holding herself while groaning)
    However I will say that Madonna would likely have done the same thing had her knee not been injured just before the actual performance. People forget that she twisted it in practice and was limping.
    You could also tell that Beyonce’s mic was live because she hit it a few times during the “reunion” bit and it was turned up so much louder than the other two women’s that you could hear it over the speakers. When she hit the mic on her hips it made a pop sound and it did it when she clapped too. Why have a live mic if you are lip-syncing?
    What I find sad is that she found THIS more important to practice for than meeting with the United State Marine Corps Band to practice for the National Anthem. Since when did it become more important to sing at the SuperBowl than it does to sing at the inauguration of a President…oh yeah when you get a 20 million dollar signing deal.

45. marcus says:

most of yall sound crazy with all the booty shakin comments. i would like to see yall try to shake yall asses like she did that takes talent also! if not everyone would be able to do it but they cant! and some of the commercials were racy AF! while yall so concerned about kids watchin complain about the commercials you saw. degrading women? everyone on stage was a woman. women made her successful. i hate when women down other women for owning their sexuality and say she should have had more “class” code for i am a prude who is uncomfortable in my own body. Probably because it doesnt look good. but overall her performance was pretty lackluster. old songs same dance moves.

46. JT says:

Beyonce killed it last night. An amazing performance. What is up with all the hate? There’s enough hate in this world, we don’t need anymore.

47. what? says:

Point blank period she will never be able to please ppl after lip syncing.. she finally gave ppl something to talk about and now they’re Gona cling onto that moment for dear life like she invented it. Most performers lip sync atleast once or twice in their life time. Get over yurself and hop down from Yur high horses and try to do better

48. the girl says:

I just wanted to say that you are not the only one obsessed with Solange. I prefer her over Beyonce by leaps and bounds.

49. Another bonehead wants another Internet Argument says:

Saw her in 2005. Exactly the same: one speed: ON! No nuance. Babyyy, she’s always on, and alwaaays hawt.Haaawwwwt. Ugh.

It was silly, as if a 14 year old was trying to be uber sexy. Like watching a cat in heat.
    Yes, she is pretty and has a great body; can sing when she wants to. But the endless strutting, posing, fake-humping; flailing; moaning; gyrating: it’s a send-up of women. She is a female version of rapper w gold chains: over the top is not always called for, even in the SuperBowl

To have a discussion of this is bizarre: The US Super Bowl is the EXCESS of everything. She was perfect for it: Men beating the crap out of each other. Women in sexy come-on outfits always at the side, thrusting out their chests. America.

50. Malcolm says:

Beyonce can sing, but last night’s trashy exhibition did not belong on family TV. If adults want to pay to go see her show and enjoy the sights – excellent for them. Broadcasting that worldwide… geez. This country’s standards have sunk so crazy low.