Video: Matthew Rhys Previews Brutal Keri Russell-Margo Martindale Brawl on Americans, Laments Abrupt End to Brothers & Sisters

rhysblogThis just in: Keri Russell is going to kick Emmy winner Margo Martindale‘s ass on FX’s The Americans.

The nasty altercation between Russell’s chilly cold war spy Elizabeth and Martindale’s incoming espionage handler Claudia takes place in the Feb. 27 episode, confirms Americans leading man Matthew Rhys (Philip) in the following on-camera interview with yours truly.

“I was a little shocked… to see two women that I admire enormously basically have a physical beatdown,” he tells me. “I had to take a moment.”

RELATED | The Americans‘ Premiere Ratings Are In — Was It a Hit?

The Welsh-born actor also reveals why he feels U.S. audiences “will never have my full performance,” previews the upcoming Americans twist that could expose Philip and Elizabeth’s cover, and opens up about the abrupt and “incredibly” disappointing end to Brothers & Sisters.

Press PLAY below and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Could Rhys be more charming?

1. Georgia Madman says:

Margo Martindale!! I’m definitely going to watch The Americans. I SO miss her on Justified.

2. Shaun says:

Very excited for more.Picked up quite the cast.

3. Trace says:

LOVED the premiere! It was really fun seeing Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys in such different roles than Felicity and Brothers and Sisters. Can’t wait for more. Very, very well done start. Fresh, new, & intense show that hasn’t been done to death. Bring on more KGB in the US intrigue. I’m hooked.

4. The Beach says:

Can’t wait to see that battle…Keri vs Margo…epic! FX is really giving AMC a run for its money in original programming with Justified, SOA and now The Americans…3 quality shows.

• Trace says:

Agreed! Hurry up epi 5. It sounds like it it’s going to be fabulous! Bring on the beatdown. Loved the interview.

• Adam says:

FX also has Archer and American Horror Story (depending on where you fall on that one). It’s got one of the most solid quality lineups, I think…if you just discount Anger Management as nothing more than the fundraiser for the other shows.

5. lara says:

So weird to see Matthew with his natural accent. BTW, the answer is NO. Could not be more charming.

6. Mina says:

He is my absolute television favorite. Why isn’t he on every show? He can play it all! We could have it all!!!

7. Jackson says:

She may kick Martindale’s butt but she would never defeat Mags!

8. Plum says:

Wow, had no idea he was Welsh, I’m loving The Americans, I just wish they’d take the 70’s wash out of the cinematography. It’s distractingly murky, kind of like how October Road was pumpkin colored to accentuate it’s Octoberishness. On The Americans I loved the little touches like the Tupperware juice jug and highwaisted jeans, but it’s hard to see through the washed out cinematography.

9. megan says:

LOVED the pilot. Hoping it stays as great as that episode was. FX really does have great dramas between Justified, AHS & SOA. I’m hooked.

10. liz says:

MARGO SHOULD HAVE HER OWN SHOW!!

11. suz elman says:

great interviewer, great actor.