Lifetime Greenlights Witches Of East End Starring Julia Ormond, Jenna Dewan and Mädchen Amick

Get More: News, Series Orders

juliaIn a spellbinding development, Lifetime has handed a 10-episode series order to Witches of East End, an hour-long drama based on Melissa de la Cruz’s best-selling novel.

Witches centers on Joanna Beauchamp (Julia Ormond) and her two adult daughters Freya (American Horror Story: Asylum‘s Jenna Dewan) and Ingrid (American Dreams’ Rachel Boston), both of whom unknowingly are their family’s next generation of witches. When Freya becomes engaged to a young, wealthy newcomer, a series of events forces Joanna to admit to her daughters they are, in fact, powerful and immortal witches.

The cast also includes Mädchen Amick as Joanna’s sister Wendy.

Maggie Friedman, who helmed ABC’s similarly-themed Eastwick, will serve as showrunner.

Witches is slated to launch later this year.

Comments (18)

• A 1 episode series order? That’s a typo, right?

Comment by Bruce_F – January 31, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure is! Corrected!!

Comment by Michael Ausiello – January 31, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sounds awesome! I loved Eastwick when it was on.

Comment by Autumn – January 31, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Eastwick! I wish it could at least lasted for a full season

Comment by Marcos – January 31, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes this will be the show that will fill heartbreak Eastwick left me with once it got cancel and to see Maggie will be a showrunner makes want this show even more.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – January 31, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!

Comment by mia – January 31, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s like the new Charmed!

Comment by ABC – January 31, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS LOOKS LIKE IT’S GOING TO BE AMAZING!!!! Yasss!! Sad Secret Circle got canceled on The CW because the new boss of the network clearly seems like a douche and wanted to get rid of it because that Josh guy has made like a billion shows for their network!!! Secret Circle was the third highest rated show on the cw and it got canceled! I hope this show will be just as good and better! It’s about time Hollywood try to go the witch route after/during this vampire craze.

Comment by Jason Lawson – January 31, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Michael, did you really just say “In a spellbinding development”? Next if you say a Sci-Fi show is “out of this world”, hunty I’m quitting this blog.

Comment by Strepsi – January 31, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? I thought it was smartly funny, made me chuckle.
      Come on Strepsi, you are here for the timely news and the writers take on TV entertainment developments. Hit a book for uber-eloquent literary hoity toity prose.

Comment by Eli – February 1, 2013 01:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When will Devious Maids coming I’ve been waiting for ages!!

Comment by Elle – January 31, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lets hope it learns from whatever didn’t make eastwick work for ABC.

Comment by Martin – January 31, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Eastwick a lot so I’m definitely interested in this.
    I’m currently watching a young Madchen Amick on Twin Peaks :) Finally got around to seeing it as I was too young to watch when it originally aired.

Comment by Eliza – January 31, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How are they going to work around the whole Jenna Dewan is pregnant thing?

Comment by Mick – January 31, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to have keep reading those books now! I hope it’ll be like Charmed.

Comment by Steven – January 31, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The books are nothing like charmed, just hope the series stays true to the books. If you haven’t read them, it is a must. Melissa did a very good with this story line.

Comment by della – February 1, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait. Missed the older one when it was cancelled. The one with Rebecca R.

Comment by rmcepp – February 12, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the books but this series sounds like all it is doing is using character names – nothing to do with the book storyline

Comment by Sari – February 26, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post