Grey's Recap: It's All Over But the Crying

Grey's Anatomy Season 9 MeredithThis week on Grey’s Anatomy, Derek manages to save the ER. (Hurrah!) But it really doesn’t matter, because it turns out there’s no hope for the hospital. (Huh?) Allow me to explain…

PULLING THE PLUG | Though Derek convinces enough other departments to trim a little fat here, a little fat there, to keep the ER open – and Owen is able to show Alana how valuable it is – its fate is already sealed. In fact, so is Seattle Grace’s. The hospital, the efficiency expert reveals, is going to be sold! And, just like that, everything makes sense: Alana only shut down the ER to make Seattle Grace more attractive to potential buyers – you know, the same way a Realtor would pull up an ugly shag carpet to make a home more sellable!

THERE WILL NOT BE BLOOD | At first, Cristina balks at the new cameras monitoring… well, everyone’s every move. Later, however, she’s kinda grateful for them when Dr. Bob — the voice of Big Brother — busts Leah before she can give a dying Jehovah’s Witness blood. (A big no-no.) “On the timeline of doctoring,” she yells at the intern, “you’re an amoeba!” But miraculously, she’s an amoeba who still has a job: Dr. Bob elects not to blow the whistle.

SO HIP, IT HURTS | First, Alex and then Callie try coercing a 13-year-old gymnast to move, lest her double hip replacement have been for naught. Unfortunately, the kid is so bitter (and just plain mean) that she turns Alex “into a suicide risk” and takes all the spring out of Callie’s step. Finally, Arizona successfully applies tough love (emphasis on the tough) and gets the patient on her feet.

THE HERNIATOR | During a class on the speedy new standardized procedure for the treatment of hernias, Richard can’t hold his tongue (he has his own technique, if it’s all the same to you) and Bailey can’t contain her “enthusiasm” (she wants to keep her job, thank you very much). But both of them are horrified when the instructor blurts out, “The patients don’t matter!” (Say what?!)

JUST FOR KICKS | In spite of Derek’s disappointment over the hospital’s dismal future, his day still ends pretty well: He gets to feel his and Meredith’s McBaby kick! (Kinda adorable, wasn’t it, when Bailey had to explain to her panicked pal that the fluttering in her tummy was just her fetus going for a field goal?)

Okay, your turn. What did you think? Didn’t you feel like Owen had gotten through to Alana? How funny was it when Jackson was badmouthing her before realizing that – oops – that was her behind the surgical mask? Is Dr. Bob going to become a breakout character – always heard and never seen – like “Carlton, your doorman” from Rhoda? Sound off below!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Mike says:

We all know the survivors will give some(or all) of their money to save the hospital, the waiting for it to happen is annoying.

• I think Derek iss going to get all of the survivors to buy into the hospital. That revelation that the hospital was going to be sold was just too convenient to have with Derek standing right there. I think that this will give them some kind of board of director powers or something and still help the hospital while they get the ER back up and running and a little extra pay out as compensation. That’s just my thoughts though.

2. Niki says:

April wasn’t so annoying this episode. And we get to see the cute paramedic next episode.

3. Backup says:

Is Tina Majorino in this episode ?

4. Jennifer says:

ONE 20 second MerDer scene (at the very end) during the ENTIRE episode is unacceptable!!! I do ship MerDer…in fact…they are the only reason that I still watch Grey’s at all! However, nobody is suggesting that every episode be nothing but 42 minutes of MerDer. I am only saying that…as popular as the couple is…they deserve a lot more airtime than they are getting! Considering that they are only getting 20 seconds an episode right now (and some of that was only their voices as the picture faded to black)…I don’t think this is asking for too much!! Other couples get MORE than their fair share of airtime. Make no mistake about it…that whole storyline with Callie, Arizona, and Alex…had CALZONA written all over it with the way Arizona has been acting this season about her amputated leg. MerDer deserve the same amount of airtime!

ABC and Shonda either need to find a way to put April Kepner in the background where she does not take up precious airtime from the main characters we actually enjoy watching (the originals) or either fire her and take her off the show! Preferably the latter but I can actually stomach her when she is in the background like she was for last week’s episode. It’s when they try to put her in the middle of a major storyline, that she grates on my nerves so bad! While they’re at it they can dump all the interns except for Ross and Brooks! They are irritating and take up entirely too much screen time too and tonight was a perfect example of that!

Finally, I come to the whole stupid, lawsuit storyline line and it gets more insane by the week! I do not care about this Alana Cahill…I just want her to go away! I want this entire lawsuit storyline to go away because I am so sick of it! It has gotten so far away from what it was supposed to be about when they first pursued the lawsuit. I just don’t care anymore!

With the exception of the very last scene….tonight was just pathetic across the board! The writing was horrid! This is why ratings are up and down like a yo-yo every week! You can’t follow up a couple of great episodes with a horrible episode…it does not work that way and fans end up getting fed up and they stop watching! They can do better!

• Vickie says:

100% agree with all you said!

• Aibileen says:

long much?

• tripoli says:

You should get out more.

• Shuayb. says:

This episode wasn’t only about Mer/Der. It was about trying to save the ER and then finding out the consequences of going ahead with the law suit. No offense to Derek but he brought this upon himself. Yes, Owen was responsible. But at what cost?
      What happens when the hospital is sold? Derek is responsible for that. This episode was about setting the stakes for the next few episodes. It’s the turning point for whats to come in the back nine episodes.

• AmbidextrousAspie says:

Why is Derek responsible for the hospital being sold? Because he wanted the maximum for the survivors who went through heck and back thanks to the hospital trying to save a buck?

• Rob Watkins says:

The problem wasn’t trying to save money, it was not looking into the safety record. You get what you pay for. As it turns out by he wasn’t saving a few bucks. People are too quick to blame the profit motive for all social ills.

• AmbidextrousAspie says:

They went with the company that was inexpensive and got one with a shoddy safety record.

• Rob Watkins says:

It’s not a surprise that the one that’s the cheapest might have the worst safety record. Being profit oriented doesn’t mean paying the least. The good businesses understand that you typically get what you pay for.

• I agree. I remember Shonda saying that this was the “season of romance”. Honestly, I’ve seen more hostility and emotional breakdowns than I have any kind of romance.

• Ana says:

Couldn’t disagree more. MerDer were adorable last night and comparing them to Calzona is ridiculous. MerDer are having sex and kissing at every turn. At the hospital, the house the oncall room… Callie and Arizona exchange pecks on the lips behind close doors and even when one of them gets a more substantial storyline they are never treated or respected like main characters and that storyline is mostly about one or the other not them as a couple, unless one of them is sick or close to dying. Some people can never have enough. A happy ending, a dream house, two babies, loads of PDA and more screentme than anyone else and its still not enough.

• Liz says:

Load of PDA? You’re kidding, right? MerDer have not had any real sexy scene since season 3. Seriously, it looks like since they married, all the sexiness is gone! I mean it was ridiculous, when Meredith was supposedly full of hormones & crazy lust for her husband, we just had some pecks!

• Sarah says:

Don’t freak dude. The show IS NOT ABOUT Mer-Der exclusively. Get over it. Get a life.

5. Rafaela says:

I think will be way more cool if the survivors are the ones to actualy buy the hospital!

6. Erin says:

Way to make us hate that awful intern girl even more. You’re trying to force a Jehovah’s Witness to take blood? Don’t you know anything about freedom of religion? Are you really that dumb?

Shonda, if you’re determined to force feed us these new interns, can we please have more Ross and a lot less of this idiot?

• Medecine TakeItOrLeaveIt says:

Oh yes, freedom of tying up doctors who could be saving lives by requesting special treatment with no rational basis… how great!

• If I were Leah, I would have done it too. Are doctors meant to respect patients wishes? Yes, but they’re also meant to save them. I’d go with my heart than I would my head for a patient.

• JB says:

Glad you’re not my doctor. People sign DNR’s, etc. for a reason, and no health care professional has the right, both ethically and legally, to disobey a patients wishes. While you may not like it on a human level, you have to take that out of the equation.

• Cindy says:

Exactly^^^

• Elyse says:

agreed. i was hoping the intern would be fired.

• SylwekG says:

Actually, I didn’t like Leah before this episode, but now I really started to like her. She’s rational and this is what I’d expect from a doctor.

• Alichat says:

That whole scene with the intern reminded me of early Cristina and a little Izzie. Early Cristina would have had the same complaints…..would have had the same problem with berating the family and not keeping quiet. It was a little of Cristina getting to experience herself as an intern.

7. Jessica says:

Love seeing Cristina as a teacher. More of that, please!

8. Vickie says:

I don’t like the bankruptcy storyline. We did that before. I love MerDer and am sorry we got 20 seconds but that was worth the entire episode to me. Mer being a doctor and the shock in her face when Bailey pointed out the obvious that the it was good, the baby is kicking was priceless. April and Derek working together, I can live without. She is so annoying. I don;t even want her with the cute paramedic. Keep her in the background. Love MerDer! They make my Thursday’s the best night of the week!

9. cee see says:

At least you all got to see the episode. Stupid ABC 4 in Utah was having “issues” and Greys didnt even air here. Grrrrrrr!!

10. kavyn says:

I never understood the April hate and probably never will, she’s my favourite of the group of five. Then again I’ve always been an Izzie/George fan so I guess that partially explains why :P

11. mmm says:

Too much Cahill. I just don’t care about her character.

12. Sasha says:

April is so annoying and useless. Nothing every changes with her. I just can’t understand her presence. The intern dealing with the Jehova’s Witness boy made me want to slap her. She’s probably the worst intern of the bunch and I rolled my eyes when Dr. Bob said no reason to fire her. I don’t get why ABC keeps these inane characters around.
    There was a whole lot of crap in the episode tonight. Really enjoyed the herniator scenes with Bailey, Richard, and Meredith. Those scenes and the ending Meredith and Derek scenes were the only saving graces. Saw the Saint Arizona saving the day scene coming a mile away. Yawn. Really wish Alex was more front and center rather than April Kepner. She is the worst and the more Shonda and Co. force her down our throats, the more I abhor her. Loved Callie as always. She always brings the snark. Cristina and Owen are such a cringe worthy couple. I shudder anytime they’re on the screen together. Sub par episode for sure. That Dr. Cahill is a real piece of work and she can go at any time. Also, HD tv isn’t doing her any favors.

13. Sky226 says:

They are putting merder on the back burner because this is supposed be the last season for (Patrick and Ellen) I hope not. I been a fan for the longest time.

14. niceepi says:

Loved Bad cop & Good cop. Especially Arizona was so awesome tonight!!

15. Kennen Price says:

The whole Kepner/Derrick thing was annoying for me. I FFed all that. I miss when this show was exciting like it was before the plane crash

16. Jess says:

I liked this episode, to se what’s going on with the hospital when they have to faith to save the hospital and what that safe will be, Shonda knows what she is doing and a like all she is doing so far on Grey’s Anatomy

17. Simon says:

I think i’m the onlly one that thinks this is something we haven’t seen before on Grey’ for once. I mean we actually have a storyline where nobody is at risk of dying any second. I like this season, i loved Christina in this episode, Bailey as well. They’re just trying to take the mood down a little bit, lighten things up. We all know the hospital isn’t going to get closed. And i think we all know as well that the ER is coming back. Just my opinion. Im just gonna wait and see.

On another note, totally laughed out loud when Christina responsed to Meredith saying “Kicking is good” – “Maybe i should kick my intern!” :D

• Jess says:

Agreed! Loving this season so far :D

• Carrie says:

I agree. In my opinion to be a fan of Grey’s you must follow the mantra “In Shondra we trust”. The Jehovah’s Witness story may have been a bit about the intern but it also showed us how far Yang has come, she used to be defiant of authority but has grown and I enjoy watching the character development of each of the core characters over the years. I loved the scene where Meredith had a panic about the fluttering – a bit of the old dark and twisty Mer scared to be happy but in the end able to share the joy with Derek.

18. martina says:

the scene between miranda and meredith was so sweet, so beautifull, i cried!
    i think Christina’s storyline in this episode is perfect, she is a teacher,she is a person, she is a doctor and she doesn’t judge, she is so grown up in the last 3 seasons. i love her.
    maybe it is my impression but was Owen flirting with that bitch, or not?

19. forwarddad says:

Another recap by an author who apparently doesn’t like the show.

20. Ana says:

My favorite moments were the good cop bad cop debates and all the Mer/Bailey and MerDer scenes. Super adorable to see Mer happy with her baby bump. I’m enjoying Cristina the teacher. Loved that Avery was in the background. The less the better. I’m back to disliking Leah. She got too much screentime. Interns are best taken in moderation. For the first time ever I’m finding myself being a little bored. There’s just too much going on and its distracting. They are spending a little bit of time in different storylines and none of them can be adequately developed. And adding 4 new interns was just too much. I liked it last season when the interns were seen and seldom heard.

21. Rob Watkins says:

Why does everyone seem to hate on April? She’s adorable, and she had a ton of chemistry with Avery. Unfortunately, Shonda pulled the plug on that too damn early. The same people that hate her seem to love Karev even though all he ever seems to be is an ass. Sure, they try to temper it by saying he cares for his patients (who are kids, awwww!) but all he ever seems to do is remind me how much of a douche he is.

I find it interesting that Christina didn’t give the kid blood even though I’m certain that’s what she would have done in previous years. As to those that thinks the intern was right, and you would have done it, you also would have opened the door to a lawsuit and possibly lost your license. It’s a no win situation, and I can sympathize with the intern, but it would be irrational to go against the patient’s wishes in this case.

22. Lori says:

It had a few good moments here and there, but I’m over this crash= lawsuit = bankruptcy=saving the hospital stuff.

23. L. Bondurant says:

The Arizona/Callie/Alex storyline was fine, but far too drawn out given that it was obvious Arizona was the patient mirror character here.
    The intern has no business in medicine- perhaps she should go into research or training, since she clearly also believes that “patients don’t matter”. (and no, I am not religious, but I do believe in respecting others’ when it comes to their own bodies.)
    And I am LOVING Bailey as a big-sister figure to Meredith. That storyline, from the rivalry to the kicking, was fantastic!

24. Mary says:

Anyone else hate when Callie littered? That totally bugged me.

• Danielle H. says:

Hahahaha me too. It really freaked me out. This person who has been thru so much, a car wreck, a destroyed spouse, a dead best friend/baby daddy still has disrespect for the area around her? Couldn’t believe it. I like Callie, but that one little move really stuck with me. Maybe the writers are trying to show that Callie thinks she’s above things now that she won all that money.

25. Dave says:

This was a really good episode. I loved Baileys Hunger Games reference.

26. Danielle Pedro says:

I see that Shonda Rhimes was trying to show how hospitals should treat or respect certain religions, however if you’re going to represent a particular religion for instance Jehovah’s Witnesses you should really get your facts straight. Jehovah’s Witnesses are people wearing turtlenecks and dresses and skirts all the time as though they are nuns.
    And we don’t rely solely on prayer to heal or. Miraculously fear that person. We actually investigate and have knowledge regarding Bloodless surgeries which by the way are becoming the norm for most hospitals that are actually I head of the curve,. Last year a 16 year old friend. Of my family was hit by a car the force was so hard the the seat belt shredded as she was thrown from her vehicle. 50 friends and family member showed up at Harborview hospital to support family, they cooperated with the doctors and the doctors completely respected. There stance of no blood even though she had lost more than half of her blood count. With all the complications we were told that it was quite possible that she would die however with all the alternative is the day you to that create more blood volume and using e.p.o….. Somehow she didn’t die on the table but was put into a 2 week coma when she awoke we were told bit her hips were so damage they were flatten like a book that was open they didn’t even think she would be able to walk again but sure enough after months in hospital and six weeks in rehabilitation she’s back to her old self and she walks without a limp even. You should really investigate bloodless surgery the United States you would see that it is now cutting edge it means the doctors have to be more careful when they cut so as to not lose too much blood and the healing time for surgery done without blood is cut in half, majority of doctors don’t even want blood transfusions they actually would rather have bloodless surgeries ,themselves, ,, emergencies yes sometimes a result in death but the majority of bloodless surgeries are successful I have an uncle who had a quadruple heart surgery bloodless and the doctors were shocked how quickly he left the hospital after. Even though our main reason for not accepting blood transfusions is biblical the health benefits can’t be argued with. The nurse in the episode was very ignorant and not respectful and I wouldn’t want somebody treating me with those types of attitudes. We are normal people the dress normal we wear makeup we don’t look like the Amish get it straight people

27. A says:

“Tributes, may the odds be ever in your favor.” I can’t believe Bailey quoted the hunger games. Love it

28. GeekGirl13 says:

As much as I loved Bailey’s Hunger Games reference and even got it despite not having read the books/seen the movie, my fave line of the night was Meredith’s ‘He spending the night with Kepner.” or however it was she phrased it. So completely blase and perfectly delivered.