Did Do No Harm Double Your Pleasure?

Get More: Polls, Premieres, Recaps

Do No Harm - Season PilotDid Do No Harm leave you with split feelings?

NBC’s new Jekyll-and-Hyde drama about a doctor suffering from disassociative identity disorder debuted Thursday at 10/9c. It centers on Dr. Jason Cole (Rescue Me‘s Steven Pasquale), who’s a brilliant neurosurgeon and all-around good guy from 8:25 a.m. to 8:25 p.m. During the other 12 hours, however, his bad boy alter ego Ian Price comes out to play.

RELATED | Exclusive: James Cromwell Joins NBC’s Do No Harm in Pivotal Role

Jason has kept his alter on a tight leash for the past five years, thanks to an experimental drug that renders him unconscious during Ian’s office hours. However, that set-up also makes Jason unable to forge relationships – such as with his flirty coworker Dr. Lena Solis (Law & Order‘s Alana de la Garza) — outside of work hours. But the drug’s effectiveness is wearing off, as evidenced by Jason waking up in a strange apartment, surrounded by naked women and with vague memories of brawling and doing cocaine.

While Jason’s lab tech buddy Ruben (Lin-Manuel Miranda) labors to create a stronger formula that won’t kill him, the good doc is at the mercy of his “prick” of a double – whose crimes include toying with Lena, obsessing over Jason’s ex-wife Olivia (and child, Cole) and polluting Jason’s lungs with cigarettes.

RELATED | Exclusive: Made in Jersey Actress Jumps to NBC’s New Medical Drama Do No Harm

Amid all of this, Jason presides over two typical medical drama cases: a brain-surgery patient who loses the ability to recognize his family and a domestic abuse victim who refuses to leave the husband who beats her. (At least in the latter case, Jason uses Ian’s rage to get the pulverized husband to turn himself in.)

Near the end of the episode, after learning how Ian messed with Lena, Jason develops a new mission regarding his other personality: “I don’t want to control him anymore,” he tells Ruben. “I want to eliminate him.”

Pasquale does well as the diametrically opposed main characters; Ian’s glee in wrecking Jason’s life and career certainly is fun to watch. It’ll be interesting to see how the show fleshes out its supporting characters – including Jason’s boss Dr. Young (played by The Cosby Show‘s Phylicia Rashad) and his devoted assistant Josh (played by Freaks and Geeks Samm Levine) — who don’t have much to do in the pilot.

That’s what we think, but what’s your take? Grade Do No Harm via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

Tags: ,

Comments (43)

• Great new show! The cat-and-mouse game between Jason and Ian is delightful to watch, and I love to go on the little hint scavenger hunts shows like this require (Who did Jason hurt as a child? Why did Ian re-emerge on his/their birthday? Why did Jason leave his last job?). Pascuale is terrific in the lead role(s), and for now I’m confident the things that need to be fleshed out in more detail (the supporting characters, the medical cases) will be down the line with the burden of setting up the premise lifted.

Comment by Lamar Kukuk – January 31, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was going to watch this, and then I saw the commercials — probably the worst ive ever seen. The poll results aren’t super reassuring either. I’ll read the comments once more of them have been posted, and then I’ll decide whether or not I’ll be watching the pilot on NBC.com.

Comment by Eric – January 31, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you. I DVR’ed the show because it’s been getting good reviews but the commercials look terrible. The critics have gotten too many shows wrong for me to waste time on what they consider great shows. I’d prefer hearing what the average viewer thinks before actually watching.

Comment by Stephanie – January 31, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The fact that “A” is currently in 4th place is not at all reassuring. People in these polls usually have “A” and “B” in the top two positions. With “C” as Number 1, then I’m sure I’d rate it a “D” at best. Thankfully I was already taping four other things! (Thursdays, you suck too!)

Comment by KevyB – February 2, 2013 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awww probably cuz u realized it was high above ur intelligence level…so sad :(

Comment by Shannon – March 6, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wrong big guy

Comment by Shannon – March 6, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cuz ur not smart enough for the show…Its ok ur not the only one

Comment by Shannon – March 6, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s actually better than the promos made it out to be. I love Steven Pasquale and I hope the show finds a groove so he has a chance to shine. Having Alana de la Garza on the show is a bonus since she was a favorite of mine on L&O.

Comment by Deena – January 31, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lin Manuel Miranda! That is all.

Comment by melissa breit (@LissaB99) – January 31, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I have to say is that NBC knew better than to schedule a new series against ABC’s Scandal.

Comment by Taelor GitMunny Rye – January 31, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What are they supposed to do? Air an hour of black screen?

Comment by meem – February 1, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved this show! Ian is funny,scary and sexy all at the same time.

Comment by Whiteacre – January 31, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointing. Not the Jelyll and Hyde thriller I expected
    Too many unanswered questions.
    We lost interest.

Comment by Lowe – January 31, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cuz u have the patience of a gnat …lemme guess not so used to questions about smart things r ya sweetie?

Comment by Shannon – March 6, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The poll results on this site tend to skew towards the optimistic side. So when C gets the most votes, you can tell the show in question is pretty much crap.

Comment by Superhero – January 31, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oof. I gave it a shot. Take it out behind the shed.

Comment by Jason – January 31, 2013 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! And the comedy is not lost on me that your name is Jason.

Comment by Rob – January 31, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I didn’t make it past the first half hour before the turn it off.

Comment by Nikki – February 1, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ehhhhhh.

Comment by S – January 31, 2013 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The commercial and print ads have done nothing for the show. It makes the lead just look like a doctor by day and a douche by night.

Comment by Kalee – January 31, 2013 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Having seen the pilot online, it’s pretty much the case. This isnt good… point made, goodbye.

Comment by Romain – February 1, 2013 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched it and actually liked it. It wasn’t “the greatest show ever” and the whole famous surgon part is far fetched but it held my interest and I’ll watch the next episode. But I won’t be suprised if NBC cancels it…tommorow. (You know how they like to cancel shows) Plus it’s better than the other crap that is on Thursday nights. *cough* The Vampire Diaries and the 48th Season of American Idol *cough*

Comment by V – January 31, 2013 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • meh. even though it gets good reviews NBC will cancel it anyway. *bitter Awake fan*
    also, give us Grimm and Revolution back. March is so far away! Come on, NBC!

Comment by Nina – January 31, 2013 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Reviews have nothing to do with it. If it gets good ratings it will stay and if it doesn’t it will be canceled. There are plenty of shows on TV that get bad reviews and are still on the air.

Comment by TLH – February 1, 2013 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will record Elementary from now on and watch this show live. Steven Pasquale (especially his Ian!!!) is hotter than Johnny Lee Miller. The pilot was ok but kept me interested.

Comment by KJ – February 1, 2013 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh look, another Hollywood remake.
    I’m not saying Do No Harm isn’t good, it’s just that it’s unfortunately extremely similar to Jekyll, a very good British television series penned by the legendary Steven Moffat.
    Jekyll keeps Hyde on a leash, Hyde starts getting more control, Jekyll wakes up in the morning next to his alter-who’s um conquests, and Hyde starts killing Jekyll’s lungs.
    Hopefully the American writers will pull something new out of the hat instead of resorting to copying our good friends from across the pond as it so often occurs. (Sherlock. Cough. Elementary. Cough.)

Comment by Nevada – February 1, 2013 02:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • one of the worst pilot i’ve seen in years

Comment by Polly – February 1, 2013 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just absurd. The split personality thing is bad enough but we are expected to believe he is a doctor. News flash, becoming a doctor requires lots of studying. If he is “asleep” every night when the heck would he get any learning done? Also, he would have to work nightshift at some point. You don’t just graduate college and instantly become a surgen who can set your own schedule.

Comment by Jackson – February 1, 2013 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was only putting himself to sleep at night for the last 5 years & we don’t know Ian’s full backstory yet. He may not have been an issue when Jason was in med school. They are not going to explain everything in the 1st episode.

Comment by Deena – February 1, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not to mention he’s got other people helping him with Ian and they take him at his word. His friend in the drug dept obviously and I was like “How are you not only aware he’s got this problem but easily believe it?”

Same question with his counselor (who should have been allowed to stay on Body of Proof).

Comment by Evan – February 1, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t believe how many comments I read before getting one that points out how ABSURD the premise is. No way he could get to be chief heurologist with this situation. All the interactions with the other doctors rang so implausible as to be distracting. That said, it was relatively well done and well acted.

Comment by schmed – February 1, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • better than expected, could go a long way, despite cruel time slot

Comment by Sincy – February 1, 2013 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From the opening scene you could tell it was going to be crap. They walked into the OR and I wondered, when is he going to scrub in? Then I wondered how he made it through med school when he has to hide at night. But I was willing to suspend disbelief but it just kept getting worst. 15 mins in and I deleted it off the Dvr. Def no competition for the brilliant Scandal or the delightful Suits.

Comment by Ana – February 1, 2013 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was suprised at how much I actually liked it, the medical drama stuff is a little on the weak side, but, besides that, I really enjoyed it.

Comment by Amanda – February 1, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it but as I was watching and liking it I realized that it’s the exact kind of show that will get cancelled. Soon.

Comment by Daisy – February 1, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forgot to set the DVR so I’ll watch online this weekend.

Comment by Renee – February 1, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it a lot – great cast and fun story. I want Ian to have super powers!

Comment by mtc – February 1, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is extremely flawed, but it definitely has a lot of promise. I will be watching the next 3-4 episodes (if NBC lets them air!) to give the writers/director a chance to even things out. This show COULD be extremely good if they make Ian more three dimensional, and answer a lot of unanswered questions that make the show seem less than plausible if these questions don’t have good answers. I, for one, hope that it doesn’t get pulled until it has a chance to develop enough to show us where it is headed.

Comment by MaryAnn – February 1, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Mr. Pasquale (even better when he sings, actually) but much like Ringer took the plot of Bette Davis’ Dead Ringer without ever bothering to acknowledge it, doesn’t this steal directly from the premise of BBC’s Jekyll?

Comment by Joe – February 1, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only reason I watched this show was for Lin-Manuel Miranda. I’m sorry I did as he was barely in the show and the rest was crap.

Comment by jess k – February 1, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post