Elementary Boss Tackles Burning Question: Did Sherlock Actually Hire Watson?

The Red TeamFittingly, CBS’ mystery series Elementary is full of questions: When will we meet the dastardly Moriarty? Is Irene Adler really dead?

And after the last couple of episodes, TVLine couldn’t help but notice a theory growing in popularity in our comments section. So we took this burning question to executive producer Rob Doherty: Did Sherlock actually hire Watson as his sober companion?

RELATED | Elementary Boss on Super Bowl Sunday Plan, Moriarty’s Entrance, Irene Adler and More

After all, she’s never met the elder Mr. Holmes, and that cryptic message denying her request to stay on the job longer seemed awfully strange for a father supposedly concerned about his son’s well-being.

“I have heard some of these rumors,” says Doherty. “It’s so hard for me to tell you which rumors I adore and which ones are too close to the truth.”

Well, this is one theory we can almost rule out. For one, “I will say that dad is real,” he says. “Personally, I would like to put a face to that name. I’d like to see who sired Sherlock Holmes. What’s he like? What’s that relationship like? I predict the relationship is just too interesting to not delve into and explore.”

Doherty is even more forthcoming when asked if the text message is actually a test from Sherlock.

“I’ll be less coy: If that’s something we ended up doing, I would genuinely be very surprised for all the reasons I just mentioned,” reveals the EP. “When I watch the show [like a fan], I have great curiosity about dad. I want to see that dynamic alive and in person. I value that more than the potential surprise that Sherlock has been leading her on this whole time.”

Still, Doherty admits that “it’s a really interesting notion. It’s funny. It made me laugh when I first heard it. But I just don’t see us going down that road.”

RELATED | Exclusive: Elementary‘s Super Bowl Episode Drafts Oz Alum as Big Bad

Although the private eye may not be the one pulling the strings, his relationship with Joan still will be affected by her decision to lie to him about M. Holmes’ rejection and to continue in her role as his sober companion.

“We recognize that it was a pretty monumental thing,” says Doherty. “It’s a big deal for any professional person to say, ‘I’m going to put in some time here on my own dime,’ especially with somebody as complicated as Sherlock Holmes. We recognize that it was not an insignificant gesture. There’s going to be some fallout. Sherlock will have his take on it when he becomes aware. Joan has a strong rational for doing what she does.”

Elementary returns with a new episode this Thursday (at 10/9c) and this Sunday following the Super Bowl.

Comments (17)

• I’m more interested in the theory that it’s actually Moriarty that hired Joan. That’d be an interesting twist. Although I’d love to see who the cast as Holmes’ father.

Comment by Ashley – January 30, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, in advance for my english, but i’m a bit rusty due to a lack of practice. I just want to tell you that I think the same as you. Did you see the letter at the end of the episode with vinny jones. It was written M. HOLMES, that leads me to think that there is connection between Morriarty and Sherlock’s father. But we will see as soon as possible I hope

Comment by Videlin – February 4, 2013 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really looking forward to Elementary’s return Sunday. Can’t wait til Sherlock finds out about Joan and her rationale for not telling him the truth.

Comment by Blake – January 30, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t it returning tomorrow? I hope I didn’t get that wrong!

Comment by Emily – January 30, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, yeah, it is returning tomorrow. I thought with it being on Sunday after the game that it wasn’t going to be on tomorrow.

Comment by Blake – January 30, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I think they could add a twist where Moriarty is Sherlock’s dad. He is listed as “M. Holmes”

Comment by Robert Fertig – January 30, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they are going to make Mycroft (sp?) Holmes his dad rather than his brother like he was in the short stories and books. I am also curious to see if they will ever use any of the cases from the literature. I know they are trying to be different from the BBC version which is only doing cases fromt he books but I would like to see their take on those stories.

Comment by Amanda – January 30, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • or maybe a Mycroft Senior as his father and a Mycroft Junior as his brother?

Comment by JJ – January 30, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. During that last episode, they had been dropping subtle hints, at least I thought so, that Moriarty was going to be his dad. I think that would be an amazing twist to play out.

Comment by Scooter Smith (@scoboot) – January 31, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly what I was thinking!!

Comment by Rachel – January 31, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW! Nobody thought of Mycroft?

Comment by Christine – January 30, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever they do, I hope they continue with the same writers. Whenever they think ‘oh wow we’re doing great, let’s do something different’ they ruin a show. I really like the actors that are in the series and how they’re characters interact. To keep it real, Sherlock and Joan can not have a romantic relationship. It would ruin it all. Good theory about Mycroft. We’ll have to see how it plays out. The last episode was great. Looking forward to tomorrows episode.

Comment by Rusty – January 30, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think his show is soo half perfect…The dynamic between Sherlock and Watson is top notch, the characters of Sherlock and Watson themselves are great, the actors top notch and their personal storylines fascinating.

BUT…

The procedural side of this show BOOORES me. There have only been two maybe three actually cases that interested me. Aidan Quinn is sort of wasted and his character not exactly dynamic and the other cop is HORRIBLE in terms of both the character and actor. I think they really need to redo this.

First, why does it always have to be a murder case? Sherlock didn’t just solve murders. Expand it…and he should travel a little, deal with different detectives each week. I just think this show has so much potential…they really have two great characters/actor, they just need to figure out what to do about the other side of things.

And I agree, NO SHERLOCK AND JOAN HOOK UP!

Comment by Josh – January 30, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keep in mind that different detectives each week costs far more money in production. They’d need multiple sets, a lot more background personnel, and a lot more on-salary actors. Elementary is only in its first season. They can’t afford to dump tons of cash into the show until they know it’s a bonafied hit. We could easily see them branching out in season 3, though.
      As far as a Holmes/Watson relationship at some point: I don’t really care one way or another. This isn’t Doyle’s Holmes: 19th Century drug-using misogynistic in London. This is a 21st Century Holmes in NYC with an Asian female Watson who loved a woman (Irene Adler) and frequents hookers when he gets randy. Elementary is just another alternate reality Holmes just as House MD was.

Comment by taliesin – January 30, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always wondered if it was Mycroft.

Comment by Kristi Carlson – January 31, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I doubt very much they will go with Moriarity as actually/i> being Sherlock’s father; that’s farther from canon than I think they want to go. I could see them having Moriarty presenting himself as Sherlock’s father, with Sherlock well aware of it, as part of the chess gaming going on between the two.

I’ve come to favor this idea over Mycroft being the one acting as Sherlock’s ‘father’.

Comment by JMill33 – January 31, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yikes. Punted html tags. Really good reason for at least a small window for post editing. :P

Comment by JMill33 – January 31, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post