23 Shows We'd Remake or Revive Now!

News that the Disney Channel is developing a Boy Meets World sequel series called Girl Meets World generated huge amounts of buzz last November, underscoring the deep connection that TV fans can have to series that have been off the air for decades.

Add to that TNT’s current successful continuation of Dallas (after a 21-year hiatus), The CW’s reboots of 90210 and Beauty and the Beast, and even SyFy’s terrific reimagining of Battlestar Galactica from a few years back, and it got us thinking: What other comedies and dramas — both big hits and cult favorites — should TV networks consider bringing back in some form in 2013?

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Check out our picks below, then hit the comments and tell us which shows you’d remake or revive — and why. We’ll take your best ideas and create a handy spinoff gallery to this one you’re reading — ’cause that’s exactly the circle-of-life business we’re talkin’ about!

1. Timothy says:

My life will not be complete until The Mole is on my television again.

2. Gail says:

I think it’s too early for charmed reboot. The original is fantastic. I think it needs to “age” a bit so the reboot would be held more seperate instead of compared to. Same goes for Smallville.

3. Donna says:

Would love to see you continue with Last Resort. Don’t know how you would do it, but be creative. Make blowing the sub just one of the crew’s dreams. Next choice from all above would be Star Trek.

4. Amy says:

Revive “Awake”; it never should have been cancelled in the first place.

5. Snsetblaze says:

WKRP in Cincinnati.

6. Snsetblaze says:

Eerie Indiana.

7. zaza says:

Roswell! I always wondered what they ended up doing after they all went on the run together.

8. zaza says:

Anyone notice that pretty much all these shows people are longing for are scripted shows…NOT reality tv?! Are you listening, tv gods? We’re dying here in this wasteland of reality tv!

9. Audrey says:

The Sentinel. They had so much more to explore there…

• Zeph says:

I’ll definitely 2nd this! Of course, we’re still waiting for them to release more than just the first season on DVD so I’m not holding my breath…..

And I’d add another oddball show – Due South

10. The one I would want is The Adventures of Brisco Country Junior. I LOVED that show and my sons have loved that show. So sad it only lasted one season!

11. Trina says:

Veronica Mars, Roswell, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Avonlea, and Pushing Daisies.

12. Leigh says:

With the revival of BMW why not pair it with a revival of Full House? It wouldbe great minus the Olsen Twins.
    And thank you TVLine forgot mentioning Firefly. We all ready have a Murder She Wrote revival of sorts And It’s Castle and it’s great with the cast it has.

13. MaryAnn says:

Well, this is one I definitely have some opinions about!

I. Reboots
    1. “The Equalizer” just cries for a reboot! The key here would be in the casting, though. It would have to be someone as restrained and deadly as Edward Woodward’s original character, with the actor’s ability to convey both compassion and relentless retribution. I can see this one lasting a long, long time with the right star and the right intensity. A reboot could have vibes of “Skyfall” and the intensity “The Following” as well as the basic feel of the original series.
    2. “Kindred, The Embraced”. This one is my Number One choice for a reboot! Vampires, gangsters, and the Vampire Godfather, Julian Luna, in love with a mortal woman. (Which of course is totally illegal in this vampire world.) What more could you ask for! It would need to be on cable, but the feel should be more “Boardwalk Empire” than “True Blood.” Of course a lot of the success would depend on casting the lead with a character as handsome and charismatic as Mark Frankel.
    3. “Maude”. We absolutely, positively need a reboot of this show. The country could not possibly be more divided between the liberals and conservatives. We need a strong, biting comedic voice on this front, as we have not seen since “Maude” and Archie Bunker’s show.
    4. “Murder She Wrote.” How could this miss? With the success of “Downton Abbey” and other very “polite” shows, this one is a natural. It could join the deluge of current British cop and detective shows from “Luther” to “Ripper Street.” What? You say it’s not British? But it *feels* so British! In fact, perhaps the star could have been born in Britain and have a British accent, just to add to the chances of its success.

II. Sequels
    1. “Twin Peaks”. This show was way, *way* ahead of its time. It shoulc be more successful this time around than it was originally. Bring back Kyle MacLachlan, the original town, and as many of the original cast as makes sense. And cast some beautiful young people to help the demographic. Another twisted mystery of the bizarre kind? It’s time another detective came out of retirement, and another icon was cast in a sequel! (Hey, if J.R. Ewing can do it, then why not?)
    2. “Now and Again.” Recast the original stars. They have been on the run since the original series ended. Where are they now and what is happening to them?

III. Please, no! Let them rest in peace!
    1. “Remington Steele”. I’m sorry. A new version of this would just not work in today’s world. Remember the basic premise? That she needs a “front man” since no one would respect a detective agency with the owner and lead investigator a woman? No. Just no.

IV. Not now, but maybe later.
    1. “Star Trek.” Right now, the world needs to focus on the movie franchise. We can be distracted by a new Trek series later, when this new movie series has a few hits under its belt. Maybe we could set one at Star Fleet Academy and put it on the CW? And believe it or not, I’m only half kidding. The CW is coming up in the world. If they can do a good job with “Arrow” they could do a good job with this!

V. And a Reboot Not On Your List
    1. How about a new version of “M.A.S.H.”? It would need a new title to reflect a modern field hospital in perhaps Afghanistan or even Viet Nam during that war, but it would need the vibe of the original. No tv show has ever so perfectly captured the pathos of life and death, the dark comedy, the suffering and the beauty of the human moments that come with it all. Yes, this one has been greatly greatly missed. We need new episodes that will bring back the tragicomedy and humanity of the original.

14. Red Jane says:

Veronica Mars would top my list though they’d better avoid the horror that was season 3…

but perhaps also

Life – both Lewis and Shahi were great – and Eli Stone (though with Elementary going strong, that is unlikely).

15. Susan says:

ABC Family’s Higher Ground would definitely be one of my top picks for a remake. I also wouldn’t mind a remake of Second Noah, both great shows that got canceled way too soon.

16. Tinemi says:

I would love a thirtysomething re-boot, with new actors.

17. Bonnie says:

Wonderfalls.

18. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I didn’t count or anything but it looks like Veronica Mars is maybe getting the mention from the largest number of people with Firefly right up there. Two that should be at the very top of the TVLine list instead of MIA.

19. Paula says:

I think The Equalizer has already been brought back as Burn Notice.

And speaking of Better Off Ted–how about Better Off Ted? That show was cancelled way too soon!

20. Kris Johnson says:

PLease bring back Northern Exposure the BEST show ever!!!

21. Tali says:

Haven’t read all the comments so I might be the only one here but I’d really love Life to come back. Damian was so good in it and it was a great show.

22. ShadowDee says:

where is Moonlight.I miss that show!!!

23. Terry says:

Tales of the Gold Monkey

24. Terry says:

Scarecrow and Mrs. King

25. Terry says:

Bring ‘Em Back Alive

26. t says:

Firefly on HBO,SHOWTIME, or SYFY would be great

27. rmcepp says:

MAVERICK AND PALADIN

28. Chip Ramsey says:

The first season of Murder One with Daniel Benzali was, in my opinion, the best procedural ever. Absolutely riveting and full of hooks that demanded that you didn’t miss an episode.

29. Kathryn Janeway says:

Please stop messing with Star Trek. The movies are one thing, but any show doesn’t need to be “edgier.” It needs to go back to the vision of Gene Roddenberry. Otherwise, it just another action show.

30. Carl says:

Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara. The greatest, smartest, most innovative, wittiest, and laugh-out-loud funniest drama ever.

31. djkm says:

American Gothic
    Midnight Caller
    Goodnight Sweetheart (great BBC family sitcom)
    Quantum Leap
    Duckman
    Dynasty
    The Professionals
    Dempsey & Makepeace

32. Fabe says:

I think I’d bring back MTV’s version of Skins, or if we could just get British Skins with the original actors, I would go freaking crazy! I would bring back Life Unexpected back too!

33. Nicki Dreyer says:

Firefly for sure…. Dark Angel maybe- it ended at an awesome place to pick up from

34. Georgianne says:

Remington Steele without a doubt. That show was a diamond but not enough people discovered that until it was too late. That was the only show I would stay up to watch, recorded on VHS, and then later bought the entire DVD collection. They are magic together and were from the moment they were on screen together in that first episode. You never knew anyone else was in the room when they were onscreen. The writing was perfection but the actors were the magic and why I can watch it all these years later and still be mesmorized. I would have loved to have seen what came after that last moment when the lights went out.

35. patti says:

REMINGTON STEELE! The last season 5 was done in such a hurry that fans were left hanging in a way. It would be great to see how life carried on for Mr. & Mrs. STEELE. Did the marriage last…..children….still running the agency. The chemistry between Stephanie Zimbalist & Pierce Brosnan was perfect & believable. There has yet to be a tv couple that can be compared or come close to Laura Holt & Remington Steele. As a note Stephanie Zimbalist SENSATIONAL ACTING abilities made Remington Steele a successful series that is loved some 30+ yrs later.

36. Laura and Remington are iconic TV characters. The show may have a bit of a hard time being remade for today’s social media and internet reliant society where nobody’s identity can remain a secret for too long. But I am sure that the creative television writing minds can come up with something that will stay true to the theme of the original series. I would definitely watch a remake or a reunion show if it ever happens :-)

• I forgot to add, that Stephanie Zimbalist is the trailblazer of the era of 80′s female empowerment. Her Laura Holt character became the template for all the female detectives after. But nobody from that time on can ever hold a candle to the character she created. Nobody ever came close to her portrayal of Laura Holt as the model of female empowerment and independence. Her acting in the series can never be faulted. She was always at her most excellent in every episode. She really looked like she could even over power Pierce Brosnan physically if needed in any scene :-) But the romantic scenes in Remington Steele are the best part of the show and displayed the excellent acting abilities of its leads.

37. Fabe says:

Okay, Aliens in America is such a good show! I can’t believe I didn’t know about it when it was on! I would definitely want that to come back!

38. JBC says:

The Pretender and Wiseguy

39. renee' chapman says:

I have an idea for a show that you should consider. It started on Radio and starred Bob Bailey as Johnny Dollar, the Insurance Adjuster with the Action Packed Expense Account.
    I listen to it on Sirius Radio Classics and I think it would easily make the transition to t.v.

40. 100% Deaf Dude says:

If we go that far back … who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men …. THE SHADOW knows …… Like Elementary up-it for the modern age. I wasn’t always deaf and used to love old time radio shows …. on cassette …. talk about old! ☺☺☺

41. Sam Mills says:

What about Legend of the Seeker? Best show ever made!

42. anthony carota says:

there is ine tv show that i would really like to seen done for today and it really is a classic tv show that is mission impossible here is a how that could be made for today because of every thing that is going on in todays world is could be done and is should be done to day

43. Mark says:

Wonder Falls. Need I say more?

44. DT says:

Murder One was the best show on television and NEEDS to be brought back. I am very happy it made your list. If it wasn’t on there I was going to reply with it as my choice. Also, CHUCK would be nice but on another network, NBC does not know how to market a show. The show had it all – action, comedy, romance, incredible acting by its primary and supporting cast, creative guest spots, and most of all heart. It deserves at least a movie =)

45. mank says:

macgyver!

46. Cardo Rámon says:

Will & Grace or Jack & Karen.

47. JDubU says:

I would love to see Carnival again. There was only two seasons but if you like Syfi, check this show out!

48. cindy says:

I think remaking old much loved tv shows that either didn’t get the chance to show it’s full potential or had a good run but the tv audiance would love a remake of that show is a great idea. as long as the writers don’t change it so it is unrecognizeable to the shows fans. I think the shows should keep the basic idea of the original show like not changing the sex of the caracter or eliminating that caracter all together.

I think these shows should be remade :

mash – was a great comedy/drama all rolled into one

home improvement – very funny but maybe remake in a few years

star trek : enterprise – it ended way to soon it was really starting to get good

maude – loved maude and her big mouth

the golden girls – loved this show I think it could be a great remake

charmed – I loved this show and it could be either a continueation of the story or a complete remake

the x – files – great sifi show I watched every episode it was great and could be again

buffy the vampire slayer – could be really great

angel – could be really good but would have to remake buffy first

babylon 5 – was a good show but could be made better

kindred – watched this show and was disapointed when it was canceled right when it was getting really interesting, they could use the basic story line from the original episodes just update them and go from there

baywatch- could be fun to watch

knots landing – it’s a spin off of dallas it would be great to see it remade too

murphy brown – I loved murphy brown it would be really good remade

poltergeist : the legasy – this show is so good I don’t understand why it was canceled after only 4 seasons that was stupid

seaquest – was a really good show that should never have been canceled I think it could be remade even better than it was to begin with

stargate universe – ended when it was starting to get good

stargate atlantis – it was cut way to short there was so much more they could have done with the story line.

hercules