23 Shows We'd Remake or Revive Now!

News that the Disney Channel is developing a Boy Meets World sequel series called Girl Meets World generated huge amounts of buzz last November, underscoring the deep connection that TV fans can have to series that have been off the air for decades.

Add to that TNT’s current successful continuation of Dallas (after a 21-year hiatus), The CW’s reboots of 90210 and Beauty and the Beast, and even SyFy’s terrific reimagining of Battlestar Galactica from a few years back, and it got us thinking: What other comedies and dramas — both big hits and cult favorites — should TV networks consider bringing back in some form in 2013?

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Check out our picks below, then hit the comments and tell us which shows you’d remake or revive — and why. We’ll take your best ideas and create a handy spinoff gallery to this one you’re reading — ’cause that’s exactly the circle-of-life business we’re talkin’ about!

1. Eric F says:

I’d like to go back further than most into the TV memory banks. First, 1970 British TV series U.F.O. should be remade and updated. It centered on the operations of a secret global military organization backed by all the world’s power whose job it was to protect Earth from hostile aliens. Second, Bill Bixby had a series in the early ’70s called “The Magician”. He played a man who was falsely imprisoned and escaped. His cellmate who was in the same circumstance went with him. He died soon after that willing him Bixby’s character his fortune. Bixby’s character trained as a stage magician and escapologist and used it as a cover to aid people in trouble. Third, I’d also love to see a remake of ‘Search’ a series from 1972-73 that focused on a ultra-high tech detective agency whose agents were employed by both the private sector and government; it starred Hugh O’Brien, Tony Franciosa and Doug McClure. Fourth, “Switch” from 75-78 starred Robert Wagner and Eddie Albert; Wagner played an ex-con grifter and Albert an ex-cop who together run a detective agency which uses bunco schemes to get justice. Finally, there was a Gene Roddenberry pilot that was too far ahead of its time but might get a better reception today “The Questor Tapes” about a series of androids left here on Earth by advanced extraterrestrials to help shepard humankind past its violence into being a mature, peaceful civilization. It starred Robert Foxworth and Mike Farrell starred in the pilot.

2. Sheldon Gunter says:

Bring back the tick

• Biff says:

The resurgence of superhero culture makes it the right time for a Tick revival: And hey, Patrick Warburton is still young and funny enough to reprise his role!

3. irlna2006@yahoo.com says:

What about Friends?

4. Jax Bereux says:

veronica mars totally needs a revival
    and so does charmed
    how about a GOOD remake of
    the nanny
    the golden girls
    a modern version of bewitched where darren could be a house husband XD!!!

• angelcake says:

Although isn’t Hot in Cleveland kinda like a remake of Golden Girls? This is said with love for both shows. And to me there’s a lot of similarities between the two aside from both having Betty White. I’d rather have a remake this way than a direct one that’s never going to be as good as the original.

5. Adam says:

Charmed, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Ally McBeal, Friends

6. I totally agree with Now and Again. Someone needs to remake it.

7. I would love to see a remake of Remington Steele, Moonlighting, The Cosby Show, and What about Laverne and Shirley? or a new Partridge Family? or Family Ties? These would be great family shows which we have very few of.

8. michelle says:

Pretender!!!!! Jeri
    cho

9. Jax Bereux says:

blossom and the cosby show from the one smentioned

10. Scott says:

Felicity and Knots Landing..two of the very best!!

• angelcake says:

Knots Landing remake = Desperate Housewives?

I’d still love to see Abby take over for J.R. as the villain on the new Dallas though.

11. Jax Bereux says:

and i know it’s a kids show but what about something on the lines of blake holesy high

12. fanofgoodshows says:

The Pretender
    The Secret Circle
    The Nine Lives Of Chloe King
    Veronica Mars
    Wildfire
    Those are my chioices :)

13. Sam says:

I’ve never watched The Equalizer but the description of it reminds me a lot of Leverage in some ways. If only Leverage could be saved!

14. RobMF says:

The O.C., One Tree Hill (Even though it just ended), Outsourced, Heroes.

15. Kelly Ames says:

Hart To Hart

16. Levi says:

What about Traveler? Seriously, why did that show get cancelled? It was so good….

17. kavyn says:

WB’s Popular

18. Butters says:

Murder She Wrote has been rebooted. It is call Castle.

19. james says:

Not sure this counts, but I’m still pissed Terriers was canceled.

20. WiggedyWackYo says:

Definitely Moonlight…..Moonlighting would be cool too, as long as you kept them out of bed together lol…Twin Peaks, absolutely…but if you are gonna reboot Murder She Wrote, ya GOTTA reboot Matlock as well!!!

21. storaro says:

Party of five- continuation
    90210- continuation with the original cast not the shapeshifters that are the characters of the reboot. I BADLY want to revisit the lives of Dylan, Brandon and the rest of the gang (just ignore their roles in and mentions in the new shows early seasons).
    Buffy-Reboot, new watcher, set in the future.
    Roswell-Continuation
    Veronica Mars- continuation, but NOT a police procedural
    Saved by the bell-Boy meets world type continuation with Zack as principal with ambitions to be mayor.

22. Lisa says:

I would love to see a continuation of “Life Goes On” with the focus being Becca’s family. A great side story would be an aging Libby with Corky still living at home.

23. Jean Ann says:

Veronica Mars as an FBI agent that was pitched to The CW and they were too stupid to pick it up. I would love to have Everwood and BTVS back.

24. Sokratis says:

Wheres Veronica Mars?

25. Eric says:

Has no one here mentioned Pushing Daisies? I need that back on my TV, stat! I’d always love more Chuck, but that’s only been off the air for a little over a year.

Reading this really made me realize how much I’d love a charming family sitcom featuring children as main characters (à la Boy Meets World/Blossom) on a major network.

26. Amanda says:

So many mullets…

27. mlj102 says:

I love that others have mentioned The Pretender. I think The Pretender is a concept that was ahead of its time and I’ve long wondered what that show would be like if it was made now instead of in 1996. While the actors were a huge part of what made that show so fantastic, and I have a hard time imagining it with different actors, I think it’s the kind of show that would be truly exceptional to combine modern production value and technology with an already brilliant concept.

28. jimbo says:

Jericho, The King of Queens, Veronica Mars, The O.C.

29. dustie_me says:

Eli Stone, Buffy, Angel, The Pretender, The Twilight Zone, The X-Files, Veronica Mars, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and 7th Heaven get my vote.

• Nicole says:

I just finished rewatching Eli Stone. It definitely ended too soon. I guess it was just a little ahead of the musical craze. If the cast could get back together (summer show or miniseries etc. or once Elementary is done) then I’m all for it.

30. Amanda says:

Roswell, Dark Angel and Veronica Mars

31. Mizz O says:

Loved Action and The Pretender. 24 was absolute perfection and IMO not be redone or rebooted

32. Eric says:

I can’t be the only who wants Northern Exposer

• inmyopinion says:

That would be “Exposure”, “Exposer” would indicate a Streaker/Flasher…which could be a great show too! LOL!

33. Mackdazzle says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say Wonderfalls. So short lived, so much potential.

34. Vannesa says:

Kindred: The Embraced, Buffy The VampIre Slayer, Angel, Charmed, Star Trek The Next GeneratIon, Ally McBeal, SmallvIlle & Wonder Woman.

35. Linderella says:

In the same category as Freaks and Geeks was Square Pegs starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Tracy Nelson, and Jami Gertz. Even then you could tell SJP had great timing and her intelligent, dry wit was hard to resist. Hard to believe it was on 30 years ago! I second the nomination for Maude which was a favorite – she being the antithesis to the loud-mouthed Archie Bunker. Two other series which could use an update and a new look would be Hill Street Blues and LA Law, both big hits in the 80’s.

36. Richard says:

Dead Like Me
    Wonderfalls
    Pushing Daisies
    Designing Women
    Barney Miller
    The Facts of Life
    Popular
    The Powers That Be
    NewsRadio
    Third Rock from the Sun

37. Chuck and Alias fan says:

Definitely Alias and Chuck; wouldn’t mind seeing more Matt Houston or Remington Steele either!

38. Ali says:

Firefly, Third Watch and HBO’s Rome.

39. eapthree says:

sliders people

40. Annika says:

Dark Angel would be cool! I do kind of think that Freaks and Geeks and My So-Called Life are perfect the way they are, although I wanted more of each at the time.

41. Jones19 says:

Oh man I loved Profit. It was way ahead of its time for sure.

42. Marco says:

DEAD LIKE ME!!!! Showtime, MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    Strange Luck and Strange World too.

43. Marco says:

And also a gender-switched version of Bewitched would be interesting.

44. inmyopinion says:

Seriously People! Dynasty! Enough said. How did everyone miss this?

45. Lucy says:

Oh my, what would I give to see Jordan Catalano back on my TV.

46. Linda says:

I’d bring back Profiler with the original cast

47. Gail says:

Birds of prey! With the superhero surge of late it has great potential! Also early edition, haunted, and boomtown!

• Rhonda says:

Boomtown was great, complex television that might have come a few years too early. Its Rashomon-esque storytelling style, though, would be a great fit on an edgy cable channel in 2013. FX and AMC, are you listening?

48. Gail says:

A Buffy reboot would only work if it was called slayers and focused mainly on one or two and had Xander as a watcher

49. CHARMED! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!