23 Shows We'd Remake or Revive Now!

Get More: Lists, Photo Gallery, Pilots

News that the Disney Channel is developing a Boy Meets World sequel series called Girl Meets World generated huge amounts of buzz last November, underscoring the deep connection that TV fans can have to series that have been off the air for decades.

Add to that TNT’s current successful continuation of Dallas (after a 21-year hiatus), The CW’s reboots of 90210 and Beauty and the Beast, and even SyFy’s terrific reimagining of Battlestar Galactica from a few years back, and it got us thinking: What other comedies and dramas — both big hits and cult favorites — should TV networks consider bringing back in some form in 2013?

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Check out our picks below, then hit the comments and tell us which shows you’d remake or revive — and why. We’ll take your best ideas and create a handy spinoff gallery to this one you’re reading — ’cause that’s exactly the circle-of-life business we’re talkin’ about!

Comments (313)

• I’m sorry but I cannot take this article seriously if The Comeback isn’t on the list.

Comment by Martijn Tulp – January 28, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i may be alone in this, but I REALLY miss Studio 60!!!

Comment by Mo – January 28, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I loved it! The combination of Bradley Whitford, Matthew Perry and Aaron Sorkin is gold in my mind. :)

Comment by Lana – January 28, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2000 Malibu Road!

Comment by A. – January 28, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never heard of Profit or the Equaliser but both look like they could be awesome with a modern spin. Although I guess Person of Interest may already be taking too much ground from the Equaliser, it sounds very similar in premise.
    I’d be up for a remake of Star Trek if,they could pull off the very difficult task of getting the current cast to agree to it, and setting it in that universe. I’d consider a new series set in the original series if it was completely new (and preferably later in the timeline than what we already had). A straight reboot wouldn’t work for me at all.

Comment by Ben – January 28, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Now and Again.

Comment by Sarah j – January 28, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. Eric Close and Dennis Haysbert had such wonderful chemistry, they just sparkled in every scene. I never enjoyed any of their subsequent characters as much as on ‘Now and Again’. And that damn cliffhanger ending…:( Curses CBS!

Comment by Gillian – January 28, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. Was so upset it ended.

Comment by H.F.Washington – April 17, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would absolutely love to have a new Murder She Wrote series, but with Angela Lansbury playing some part in it.

Comment by KD – January 28, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would also love to see Angela Lansbury guest star on Blue Bloods with Len Cariou. They were so great together on MSW

Comment by KD – January 28, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could be on board for The Equalizer or Remington Steel for sure!

Trek? Hmm – The Next Generation, DS09, Voyager, Enterprise.
    Seems like it’s been done – a lot (don’t get me wrong – HUGE trek fan here)

However when all is said and done, I would much rather have original new
    programming (not more reality though!) than “reboots” of old ideas. Same goes for movies.

While we are at it – Seinfeld wasn’t on that list? What? Maybe because you can’t really redo sitcom near-perfection. :-)

Comment by kirads09 – January 28, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friends and Buffy !!!

Comment by Marie – January 28, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about ALIAS??? Not a remake, just a revival – I couldn’t bear to have different actors for Sydney, Vaughn, and Jack

Comment by Rach – January 28, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jay Hernandez is not in Mark Frankel’s league so there is no way he could play Julian Luna in a Kindred: the Embraced remake! I say Ed Westwick. He has the charm, presence, and sensuality to play Julian and he head of all the vampire clans…a remake of Kindred would be so fantastic right now! Also say Morena Baccarin to play Caitlyn….

Comment by Lady K – January 28, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The West Wing with Sam as the President !

Comment by Ernesto A – January 28, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • POPULAR!

Comment by JKR – January 28, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG, I know, right? Then we’d finally know what the heck happened in that darned finale!

Comment by Barbie Furtado – January 28, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hate when shows are cancelled with endings like that. At least the writers should tell us what was supposed to happen.

Comment by angelcake – January 28, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • um how about Firefly? Macgyver? Highlander?

Comment by James – January 28, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I second The West Wing! With Sam Seaborn coming back as the president or vp. He’s had a few hard knocks and now he’s the one who has to make the tough calls and he can’t afford to be as idealistic as he was under Bartlett.

I also wouldn’t object to Bradley Whitford having a regular gig that sticks. Plus, the Newsroom is only like 12 eps and that can’t be taking up all of Sorkin’s attention!

Comment by Colleen – January 28, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All in the family, X-Files!Hill Street Blues and NYPD. ;)

Comment by nitemar – January 28, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your Maude idea is just PERFECT! I would love to see Allison or Jamie Lee Curtis playing that role!
    And ELLEN was my favourite show back then. They were such idiots for cancel it!

Comment by Lucy – January 28, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FIREFLY!!!! How could you not include it?
    ok, now that I got that out of my system
    Kindred the Embraced should stay where it is: Dead. It has been my experience that any attempt at bringing a table-top rpg/LARP to the screen is a bad thing and just makes the players cranky that their genre is being destroyed. Leave any connection to White Wolf out of it, no matter how loosely based the show is, and create something new.

Comment by Shannon – January 28, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roswell.

Comment by Elise – January 28, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SeaQuest & Seven Days would make awesome remakes. My 3 favorite 90′s shows.

Comment by Carson J Gallo – January 28, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More recently, I’d revive Monk. I miss it badly :’(

Comment by Barbie Furtado – January 28, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRIENDS!

Comment by FriendsLover – January 28, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kind of surprised no one has mentioned Knights of Prosperity. That show was brilliant.

Comment by Nick – January 28, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frank’s Place!!

Comment by Rick M. – January 28, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thirtysomething is a great idea! But as THIRTYsomething…. Have the baby from the original series grow up to be one of the thirtysomethings with a new cast in 2013 and her parents can be on and link the two shows.

Comment by Rachel – January 28, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What, no Macgyver? People still use the term “Macgyvering” when building gadgets out of nothing.

Comment by Folliot – January 28, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Popular? You can never have enough Mary Cherry!

Comment by Monica – January 28, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Hunter (1984 – 1991) with Fred Dryer?

Comment by Josh Davis – January 28, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But I will echo the cries for Veronica Mars. This one wouldn’t actually need to be a remake.

(Firefly and Terminator:TSCC also might be ones that could be brought back as they were, although not both of those at once I guess hah due to overlapping cast.)

Although some of the key players are involved in other shows at the moment, but it might work depending upon exact contracts and desires.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – January 28, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, Knots Landing?

Comment by Amelia – January 28, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Twin Peaks – Continuation only!!

Comment by Jason – January 28, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHARMED!!! FULL HOUSE!!

Comment by luli – January 28, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Immediately thought of Action! LOVED Jay Mohr – funniest show & way ahead of its’ time. Would also like to see a Moonlight remake. The Friday death slot did it in. And the writers strike didn’t help it either. CBS really missed the boat with that show and should have given it one more season. There was so much plot left to tell.

Comment by Ella – January 28, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Profit was an awesome show that was definitely ahead of its time. It makes the top of my remake list.

I love Firefly almost more than anything, but unless you could get all of the gang back together, it just wouldn’t be the same.

Comment by znachki – January 28, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not clcking 23 more times. Too lazy.

Comment by Tony – January 28, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!

Comment by Grif – January 28, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellen was not cancelled because the press hounded the show. It was cancelled because it stopped being funny.

Comment by Doug – January 28, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see an updated *I Spy*, complete with round-the-world location filming, though the chemistry of the original would be very hard to match.

Comment by Plefff – January 28, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Firefly & Scarecrow & Mrs King

Comment by Ana – January 28, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was beginning to wonder if anyone else remembered Scarecrow & Mrs. King! It would be at the top of my list! Although watching the last season the last few days I’ve realized how similar Castle and Bones are to Scarecrow & Mrs. King… Firefly would be great too… The A-Team and Diagnosis Murder are others I can’t get enough of…

Comment by Soupy – January 28, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Make a new Buffy. With a younger slayer and Buffy her watcher/trainer.

Also Firefly. Joss never had a chance to make this show blossom :)

Comment by April – January 28, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Party of Five.. I wanna know what happen with the Salingers nowadays
    Full House the next generation with a lot of kids from CJ and Stephanie and her it Girl crazy sister Michelle
    Once and Again or Sisters… yeap i’m a Sella Ward fan
    The X Files reboot
    Friday the13th the series
    Ryan Murphy’s POPULAR <—— that show deserves another chance and I miss Mary Cherry

Comment by Fernanda – January 28, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last I heard Charlie was getting chased around some island by a cloud of black smoke and Julia was dodging knife wielding killers. So quite a lot actually!

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – January 28, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dead like me!

Comment by Bianca – January 28, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Had been saying Murder She Wrote for months should be remade, CBS would hit big with this, but seeing as Angela Lansbury is probably too old, who could play Jessica Fletcher, the only actress i can think of is Helen Mirren minus the british accent, but she still busy actress when it comes to films.

Also, if they did it right the CW should do a modern My So Called Life reboot, less soapy though, Although the ratings aren’t bad, The Carrie Diaries isn’t bad, maybe a reboot but set in the same time period as the previous one.

Also, as it is too late for this season, and next season of How I Met Your Mother is more than likely the last, a Buffy spinoff entitled “Willow” with Alyson Hannigan reprising the role she made famous, but one thing, seeing as it is Sci Fi, bring Tara back from the dead. Makes sense seeing as other than SMG, she is the only actor/actress to appear in every episode of Buffy, Xander wasn’t in one episode.

Comment by Martin – January 28, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HEROES! Only this time have an actual long-term story line in mind.

Comment by hollylime – January 28, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED Aliens in America. I would love for it to come back. Ellen was pretty hilarious too.
    I would pick Dead Like Me to come back. I loved the cast dynamic, and it was one of the rare shows that made me think.

Comment by Babybop – January 28, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s a crazy idea. Instead of remaking and/or reviving any of these shows, maybe the folks who create tv shows could have an original idea or two instead of recycling what’s come before.

Comment by Mark – January 28, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WKRP, The Waltons, Rawhide, and Moonlighting. But, please, NEVER, EVER remake M*A*S*H. Some things are sacred.

Comment by Templar – January 28, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would LOVE to see the power team of Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse take on a reboot of either The Pretender or Quantum Leap.

Comment by David – January 28, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freaks and Geeks; Twin Peaks; Six Feet Under; Firefly,

Comment by Moms a TVFan77 – January 28, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll admit, Profit was the first show I thought of.. and was surprised it was on your list! But the other one I’d bring back is Wiseguy.. which was a classic!

Comment by Mark – January 28, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post