Exclusive

Exclusive Smash First Look: 'Princess' Karen Hits a Sour Note With the New Guy

Dev who?

As NBC’s Smash lifts the curtain on Season 2 next Tuesday, Feb. 5, Karen (played by Katharine McPhee) quickly finds a new man in her life — but are her intentions business-related, or for pleasure?

RELATED | Exclusive: Smash Finds Its JFK — Plus, Watch the New Season 2 Trailer

In this exclusive clip from the two-hour season premiere, Brooklyn bartender/wannaba songwriter Jimmy (Newsies‘ Jeremy Jordan) blasts his partner Kyle (Carrie: The Musical’s Andy Mientus) for giving new acquaintance Karen one of their songs to sing at a bar.

RELATED | Smash Exclusive: Ellis Is Poised to Return — But There’s a Twist

When the Bombshell star tries to intervene and explain her interest in Jimmy’s work, it becomes clear that “Thank you” aren’t words she’ll be hearing anytime soon.

RELATED | Smash Season 2 Preview: Frosty Feuds, Scandalous Setbacks and Other Observations

Will these two kids ultimately smooth things over and make beautiful music together? (Did Ellis lurk behind potted plants?) Press PLAY to watch the (wrong kind of) sparks fly.

1. Hilda says:

The first hour of the two-hour season premiere is available on NBC.com.

2. marta says:

so excited for Smash to start up again! Karen is my favorite

3. Carola says:

Oh man.. I can´t believe she is gonna have a romance with this guy. She does´t even have half the chemistry she has with Derek.
    Still even though she will hook up with Jimmy guy I hope to continue to watch Karen & Derek´s relationship evolve. Much more interesting to me..

4. Smasher says:

I’m a fan of Cartwills too, but I don’t think it’s going to go anywhere, so I’m at least gonna give this new potential ~romance~ a chance, lol! I’m just glad Dev is out the picture ngl, and Karen is gonna be hanging around with a new crew. The show needed a bit more life I think! Nice clip, thanks!!

5. Josh says:

One thing that is bugging me(and I really like Karen) is that this new season seems to have such a sharp focus on her. A new love interest makes sense but do we really need her roommate? I watched the first hour and it was so Karen focused…I do like Ivy more but I like me Karen plenty too but I want there to be equal focus among the ensemble. We REALLY don’t need Karen’s roommate to become a main character.

And I hope Karen doesn’t hook up with Derek. She’s a young star in the making, I rather her not hook up with Broadway’s sluttiest director.

• Jk says:

I’m happy with less Ivy to be honest. I love Megan Hilty and she’s a great performer and singer, but I really disliked Ivy so much towards the end of season 1. Always blaming someone else for her problems when everything that happened to her was due to her own insecurities. They do seem to be massively trying to redeem her from what I saw in ep1 so I’m interested to see how her character evolves. I’m also really glad that it seems Karen is going to get involved with the new characters. They look like they’re going to add a bit of spark to the show, which is promising! And I liked Karen’s new roomie from what we saw in ep1, and lets face it, Karen needed a friend, lol.

6. Paige says:

Clip not watchable from Canada

7. Jules says:

Clip not watchable if you are not a Karen fan.

It will make you hurl as you realize they really aren’t making any changes for season 2. It will still be All Karen All The Time and shoving the message that KAREN IS TOO FABULOUS FOR WORDS down our throats, no matter how many times she stands there with the same smug, unpleasant expression on her face. Sorry. I couldn’t stand Karen last season and this version of SMASH looks like same old, same old, only worse, like “Let’s give her more toys and more boys and more friends and more roles and more songs and people HAVE to love her, right?” Except not so much.

8. Kevin says:

I love this. I am so glad that they are opening a whole new circle with Karen, Jimmy, Kyle, etc. It will make the show more interesting to see their new project start out! ‘Smash’ needed some new life.

9. Dana Kiehl says:

Good stuff. Hopefully Jimmy will lose that chip on his shoulder. I’m glad that Karen is more integrated with the rest of the cast this season

10. marta says:

i’ve watched this at least 25 times today! only 8 more days till SMASH starts up! WTG Karen & Jimmy!!

11. Nut says:

So excited for new Smash. Thanks for the clip. Ep1 of s1 was great, and I like where this story seems to be going with Karen and the new castmembers. I hope she gets involved with this new musical. RIP Dev lol. Not sure about Jimmy yet – dude seems like he has issues!

12. Charlie says:

Trust me, folks, Jeremy Jordan has chemistry with EVERYONE. He’s the reason I’m counting down the days until the (full) premiere finally hits, instead of being just mildly interested to see what happens in season two. Thanks for the clip!

• Guest says:

Didn’t watch season 1 – the only reason I’m watching this season is because of Jeremy Jordan. He is amazing! :)

13. Connie says:

I love it! Karen is so awesome!!! LOVE HER!!! She’s the best female character on the show. I think she speaks for all girls out there just trying to follow her dream!

14. Amie says:

I cant wait for the Jimmy and Karen love story!!!! SIIIIGH Jer is so dreamy.

15. Titina says:

This new guy looks like a complete dick. Hope his romance with Karen is a short fling.

Team Cartwills all the way! I will always have hope.

16. Lala says:

The acting in that clip was bad. Jordan was the least bad, he had some life. Mcphee and the other guy were so flat. I don’t think it’s the dialogue either, I can easily imagine those same lines being more believable with better delivery. It would still be a little soapy, I’d buy it as believable in a soapy universe. Jordan might be having the stage to screen acting issue, but McPhee has been acting professionally for 7 or 8 years, she should be much better.

17. Nancy says:

Loved the show last year. I’m ready to change the channel. Thought episode 3 was b-o-r-I- n-g!