ABC's S.H.I.E.L.D. to Feature Agent Maria Hill? 'There Are Definite Talks,' Says Cobie Smulders

SHIELD Pilot, Cobie SmuldersMight Clark Gregg’s Agent Phil Coulson not be the only familiar face on hand for the Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D. TV pilot being written/directed by Joss Whedon for ABC?

RELATED | ABC Boss Shares an Update on Joss Whedon’s S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot

Ever since the small-screen project was announced, and especially with big-screen Avengers boss Whedon at the helm, many have wondered if Cobie Smulders, like Gregg, would — or even could — reprise her role as S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Maria Hill.

RELATED | ABC’s S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot Launches Facebook Page and Twitter Feed — Already

After all, Smulders reportedly just recently re-upped with CBS’ How I Met Your Mother, which is poised to return for Season 9. And networks are usually loath to lend out talent to TV projects that could prove to be direct competition for one of their own series.

Smulders, however, shared during an IAmRogue.com interview that her “commitments to [How I Met Your Mother] don’t affect” her chances to at least cameo on S.H.I.E.L.D., which started production late last week. “I can’t really say [more],” she added, “but there are definite talks about it.”

RELATED | Pilot Guide 2013: Get Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers, and Who’s In Them

The series regular cast for Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D. features ER alum Ming-Na (as former soldier Melinda May), Clark Gregg, Nashville’s Chloe Bennet (as superhero culture-obsessed Skye), British beauty Elizabeth Henstridge (as science expert Gemma Simmons), Scotsman Iain De Caestecker (as tech whiz Leo Fitz) and Brett Dalton (as cool-under-fire rising star Agent Grant).

Want scoop on your favorite TV show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. J says:

They’ll sneak her on, definitely. Even if she can’t cameo or guest- next year, she is SO joining this show after HIMYM is done.

2. John says:

Bring in Hawkeye! He was so underused in the movie.

• Alan says:

renner is way too busy to do a tv role, which is a shame because hawkeye is my favourite marvel superhero and i would love to see more of him in the role. i reckon a hawkeye and black widow movie detailing how they met and how he brought her over to shield’s side would be really and could be done on a smaller budget than the other movies.

3. it’s a rather international cast of characters. I guess the H won’t necessarily mean Homeland anymore. Maybe HomeWORLD?

btw, bring in Spider-Woman Jessica Drew and Mockinbird Bobbi Morse, both are agents of SHIELD.

• fem lovin troll says:

International but also pretty bloody white.

Drew might be too big for the show to handle – unless disney starts thinking fem heroes are less risky as tv characters than in films. Lord knows they haven’t shown any desire to go anywhere near any female heroes other than Black-scarletjohanseninleather-Widow.

Mockingbird might have a shot though.

• “Spider-Woman is a SHIELD agent AND has spider powers like Spider-Man? It’s the perfect run-around Sony! Put her in the show, asap!” — what a network exectutive might say.

4. April says:

Universe, please make this happen!

5. Theo says:

She will definately pop up in the show…eventually. Since next season of HIMYM is shaping up to be it’s last, it’s safe to assume that she will show up. Also it’s not hard to imagine her being in the Avengers sequel so it’s only a matter of time.

6. Ritch says:

Please Joss Whedon! Don’t bring her just to kill her!!!!

7. Mr John says:

I don’t know how many of you have worked for a large corporation, but seeing Maria Hill on the show would be like a data analyst seeing the NY based CFO around her St. Louis office. The team in SHIELD has been described as a low level group. There are probably many levels of management between them and Hill. It doesn’t make sense for them to be personally interacting with Hill, Fury, Barton or Romaonva – or even Drew or Moorse. At least, not at the start of the show.

I’m sure this team will end up involved in special things that raise their profile, but the show is not about a team of superheroes. Weedon has said that many times. It is about one of many elite law enforcement teams in a world where supervillians and comic book dangers are starting to appear. An Iron Monger, Abomination, (armored) Whiplash, Loki, Destroyer, enraged Hulk, etc… would eat them alive.

• Ace says:

It does make sense, though, for her to interact with Coulson. They worked fairly closely together in Avengers.

• Mr John says:

That is very true – although only if TV Coulson is movie Coulson, which I highly doubt he is. It isn’t like Whedon to hand waive a death away. I’m pretty sure TV Coulson is a LMD (Life Model Decoy), a pivotal piece of SHIELD tech in the comics – a semi-sentient android person used to replace a real person (somethimes as a decoy to draw an assassin out, and sometimes to fill the shoes of a fallen ally when the world can’t know he has fallen). I think Phil Coulson dies and they’ll have an LMD replace him because he had a pivotal role that SHIELD doesn’t want to see endangered by his absence. Of course, there are those that like the theory that move Coulson (that died) was the LMD and TV Coulson is the real thing, or that the first episodes will work to ‘earn’ getting Coulson back from the dead – (making it more substantial than a hand-waive, as Buffy’s climb back from the grave in season VI of Buffy was a long process, even though she physically crawled from the grave in the first episode of the season).

• Azerty says:

If Cobie Smulders has to wait for HIMYM to finish, she might just show up at season 1 final or during season 2 of SHIELD, which give time to the low level team to be involved wich very important event, for example to give them secret information or to ask them a special/secret mission, under Nick Fury’s orders. I can’t see Samuel Jackson in a “small” serie, so that would be a good way to show that the low level team is now (after 2 seasons) involved with the highest level of the Shield.

• Alan says:

jackson has said recently that he would like to make small cameos when he can; he thinks his character could work like charlie in charlie’s angels, which isnt that bad an idea having him phone in here and there to assign special missions to the team

• Mike says:

I think it would be awesome for her to show up in some sort of awesome season finale.

• Jessica says:

NOBODY ASKED YOU, PATRICE!

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I’m still catching up on the details of SHIELD/Avengers [I don’t know a lot yet about either, but I’m catching up], but I’m hoping to see Cobie on anything and everything – HIMYM-9, SHIELD-1 cameo[s], Avengers, feature films – anything is fine with me. So, I was reading each posting here intently and then I saw your ‘Patrice’ line and starting laughing. :) Poor Patrice. Maybe she and Ted? No, I know.

8. Talmidge says:

if the rumors are true about HIMYM’s final season and how the entire thing takes place the day of or the few days surrounding the wedding it’s not out of the question for her to do half of each for one season.

9. Azerty says:

Am I the only one who want this show to lead to a movie “Avengers 3: Civil War”, with the the registration act story?

• Mr John says:

I think Avengers II is headed into this territory, personally. Whedon has described the story as more of a personal battle, and the underlying story in Cap II seems to be headed in that direction. It won’t be a true ‘Civil War’ story, but I think that Avengers II will focus on self regulation of the superpowered individuals in the universe. I think the Infinity Gauntlet stuff will continue to build in Phase II, but will not ‘pay out’ until Avengers III in 2018.

• geek troll says:

I think they’re heading directly for a Thanos storyline in A2. A Civil War attempt would require laying a fair bit of ground work -possibly in the Cap and IM franchises. Plus they are pretty thin on heroes in the movieverse not to mention they couldn’t use Spidey or Reed Richards since those guys are owned by Sony & Fox – and the whole thrust of the CW story is driven by the over proliferation of super heroes.

Now if any franchise could pull it off it’s this one but they would definitely need more setup and more reckless heroes in need of regulation.

• Azerty says:

The Gardians of the Universe movie suggests the Thanos story very soon. I hope they will keep the Civil war story for Avengers 3 so they manage to find an agreement with Sony to get at least Spiderman (Andrew Garfield would be perfect as torn between the two side of the registration act). For Reed Richards, I don’t know…there will be a Fantastic 4 reboot or not? maybe they can skip the F4 involvement? (but it would be funny to see Chris Evan as Captain America AND The torch in the same movie^^)

• Alan says:

sorry to be a pedantic fanboy but its guardians of the galaxy not universe, the guardians of the universe are the little blue guys from green lantern stories.
            i agree that garfield would play the part beautifully but i just cant see anything like that ever happening; just like i cant see a civil war storyline happening, they are going in the cosmic direction and that doesnt suit a civil war-like story, anyway civil war is too big and complicated to do right in a movie

10. Lilu says:

this is so awesome!! she’s my favorite character, she was so kick ass in the movie, I loved her!!!

11. kazamajin807 says:

before I looked at the draft of $5131, I accept …that…my best friend truly earning money part-time on their computer.. there uncles cousin has been doing this 4 only 23 months and just paid for the mortgage on their condo and got a great Citroën 2CV. read more at, pie21.ℂom

12. Ant says:

I really wish she was the main actress and not Ming Na. I just don’t care for her

13. Evan says:

The interview all this comes from also states her next actual appearance as Maria Hill will be in Captain America 2. So that’s a definite.

But for SHIELD, yeah she’ll show up I’m sure cameoing when they need her and like many thing, when HIMYM is done, I will not be surprised to see if she’s made a regular cast member.