Pilot Scoop: Legendary Hatfields & McCoys Feud to Live On in NBC Update

logo-nbc-300NBC is throwing its hat into one of the most famous grudge matches of all time.

The network has ordered Hatfields & McCoys, which follows the warring families as they duke it out in present-day Pittsburgh.

When a startling death re-ignites the two clans’ legendary battles, the blue collar McCoys will put the Hatfields’ wealth and power at risk as they go to war for control of the city.

John Glenn wrote and will executive-produce the project along with Charlize Theron (Snow White and the Huntsman), A.J. Dix (The Butterfly Effect), Dawn Olmstead and Beau Flynn (Requiem for a Dream).

As the History channel proved this summer, the old tale still has the power to engage audiences: Across all three nights, its Emmy-winning Hatfields & McCoys miniseries averaged 13.8 million total viewers, with 4.9 million falling into the coveted 18-49 demo.

1. Josh says:

Umm…I don’t know what to make of this…So basically they’re taking away one of the most interesting things about the show(the setting) and just making it into a regular old soap about feuding families?

Oh NBC…

2. Esaul says:

Really sick of this garbage. This will fail.

3. Sean says:

Astronaut John Glenn?

4. Nerwen Aldarion says:

I wonder what the REAL modern day Hatfields and McCoys think of this?

• Rusty Hatfield says:

Sounds kind of corny,but it could be good. The docudrama was great.

• Eli says:

Exactly what I thought!!!
      The real families have REALLY made up, so this is kinda weird…what about lawsuits? Could this be some form of salnder?

• Kourt says:

I’m a Hatfield descendant and frankly, I’m not thrilled. Can’t speak for anyone else in the families though. IMO this needed to be left at the History Channel’s mini-series. There’s a rumor that a network wants to do a reality show as well. Nooooo thank you.

5. Amanda says:

Pittsburgh? Of all the cities…

6. AC says:

I am a the great(x2) nephew of someone actually killed in this feud who was a relative of both Devil Anse and Randall and I can tell you this makes me sick to my stomach. I’m not proud of that some of my distant relatives killed each other, and find it sickening the way Hollywood is capitalizing on and now making fiction about this.

7. towtrux says:

Unfricking believable

8. Kristy says:

Hey, what’s wrong with Pittsburgh? It’s a beautiful city.

9. Interesting says:

What’s wrong with Pittsburgh? Well let’s start off by saying that the city is in Pennsylvania at the exact opposite end of the state of West Virginia from where the actual fueding ever took place. Cincinnati and Columbus Ohio are both conceivably closer to the area between Kentucky and WVA at the boarder with VA then PA and Pittsburgh.
    Then we can go into demographics. I find it interesting that they are using Pittsburgh, which has one of the largest Italian populations in the United States (thanks to the Steel industry and immigration in 1800’s). I kind of wonder if they are going to try to make this out as some mob-type show. I just don’t equate Appalachia with Pittsburgh. It would be interesting to see how the try to explain it.
    Funny thing is, the Hatfield and McCoy feud was actually one of the smaller family feud that happened in that area during that time frame…it was just the most publicized. So in the end, that will be all it takes right? publicity to change what people think to make Pittsburgh fit?

10. Danielle H. says:

Pittsburgh? Are you kidding me? I live right on the border of KY and WV where this all took place. While I did not watch the mini movie or whatever, everyone around here pretty much did. I cannot see ANYONE going for a new setting. Grow some balls, NBC, and figure out a way to make this relavent in the place it actually exists in. Or even offer a post-apocolyptic take and make it in Appalachia and give it that wilderness vibe.
    This just puts me off on so many levels. There are still plenty of family members still alive, and to my knowledge still somewhat of a feud!

11. Alan says:

so basically they saw the success of the history channel show and decided to rush out something to capitalise on it. i bet this was in development under a different name and they just changed the names of the characters so they could cash in, hence the setting being way off.