Pilot Scoop: Legendary Hatfields & McCoys Feud to Live On in NBC Update

Get More: Pilots

logo-nbc-300NBC is throwing its hat into one of the most famous grudge matches of all time.

The network has ordered Hatfields & McCoys, which follows the warring families as they duke it out in present-day Pittsburgh.

When a startling death re-ignites the two clans’ legendary battles, the blue collar McCoys will put the Hatfields’ wealth and power at risk as they go to war for control of the city.

John Glenn wrote and will executive-produce the project along with Charlize Theron (Snow White and the Huntsman), A.J. Dix (The Butterfly Effect), Dawn Olmstead and Beau Flynn (Requiem for a Dream).

As the History channel proved this summer, the old tale still has the power to engage audiences: Across all three nights, its Emmy-winning Hatfields & McCoys miniseries averaged 13.8 million total viewers, with 4.9 million falling into the coveted 18-49 demo.

Comments (18)

• Umm…I don’t know what to make of this…So basically they’re taking away one of the most interesting things about the show(the setting) and just making it into a regular old soap about feuding families?

Oh NBC…

Comment by Josh – January 28, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yep boring and generic, exactly how networks like it. cant have anything different or it will be killed off instantly

Comment by Alan – January 29, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really sick of this garbage. This will fail.

Comment by Esaul – January 28, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Astronaut John Glenn?

Comment by Sean – January 28, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what the REAL modern day Hatfields and McCoys think of this?

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – January 28, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds kind of corny,but it could be good. The docudrama was great.

Comment by Rusty Hatfield – January 28, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I thought!!!
      The real families have REALLY made up, so this is kinda weird…what about lawsuits? Could this be some form of salnder?

Comment by Eli – January 29, 2013 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a Hatfield descendant and frankly, I’m not thrilled. Can’t speak for anyone else in the families though. IMO this needed to be left at the History Channel’s mini-series. There’s a rumor that a network wants to do a reality show as well. Nooooo thank you.

Comment by Kourt – January 29, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m a McCoy and I disagree with everything you just said.

Comment by Ulose – January 29, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pittsburgh? Of all the cities…

Comment by Amanda – January 28, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s wrong with Pittsburgh?? It is only the most livable city in America.

Comment by KSM – January 29, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a the great(x2) nephew of someone actually killed in this feud who was a relative of both Devil Anse and Randall and I can tell you this makes me sick to my stomach. I’m not proud of that some of my distant relatives killed each other, and find it sickening the way Hollywood is capitalizing on and now making fiction about this.

Comment by AC – January 28, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I’m embarassed. I don’t get the appeal.

Comment by Hatfield – January 29, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unfricking believable

Comment by towtrux – January 28, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, what’s wrong with Pittsburgh? It’s a beautiful city.

Comment by Kristy – January 29, 2013 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s wrong with Pittsburgh? Well let’s start off by saying that the city is in Pennsylvania at the exact opposite end of the state of West Virginia from where the actual fueding ever took place. Cincinnati and Columbus Ohio are both conceivably closer to the area between Kentucky and WVA at the boarder with VA then PA and Pittsburgh.
    Then we can go into demographics. I find it interesting that they are using Pittsburgh, which has one of the largest Italian populations in the United States (thanks to the Steel industry and immigration in 1800′s). I kind of wonder if they are going to try to make this out as some mob-type show. I just don’t equate Appalachia with Pittsburgh. It would be interesting to see how the try to explain it.
    Funny thing is, the Hatfield and McCoy feud was actually one of the smaller family feud that happened in that area during that time frame…it was just the most publicized. So in the end, that will be all it takes right? publicity to change what people think to make Pittsburgh fit?

Comment by Interesting – January 29, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pittsburgh? Are you kidding me? I live right on the border of KY and WV where this all took place. While I did not watch the mini movie or whatever, everyone around here pretty much did. I cannot see ANYONE going for a new setting. Grow some balls, NBC, and figure out a way to make this relavent in the place it actually exists in. Or even offer a post-apocolyptic take and make it in Appalachia and give it that wilderness vibe.
    This just puts me off on so many levels. There are still plenty of family members still alive, and to my knowledge still somewhat of a feud!

Comment by Danielle H. – January 29, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so basically they saw the success of the history channel show and decided to rush out something to capitalise on it. i bet this was in development under a different name and they just changed the names of the characters so they could cash in, hence the setting being way off.

Comment by Alan – January 29, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post