Pilot Scoop: NBC Orders Lorne Michaels-Produced Comedy Starring John Mulaney

John MulaneyNBC is getting into some funny business with up-and-coming comedian John Mulaney.

The Peacock Net has given a pilot order to an untitled ensemble comedy written by and starring the former Saturday Night Live scribe.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s In Them

The multi-camera project is based loosely on Mulaney’s life and will follow a group of young people and their hijinks.

Saturday Night Live boss Lorne Michaels will executive produce with Dave Becky (Louie) and 30 Rock‘s David Miner and Andrew Singer.

1. Aleksa says:

This might be good. We saw his stand-up on Comedy Central and it was hysterical.

2. Brian says:

One of my favorite rising comedians. I have high hopes for this show.

3. I absolutely love John Mulaney, so I’m looking forward to this!

4. Nicki says:

This is the best news I’ve heard all week. John Mulaney is one of my favorite comedians…like ever! No one is funnier (or more adorable) than he is :)

5. Mark says:

He’s cute

6. Sarah says:

This guy’s hilarious. Really excited for this!

7. Steven says:

This show has to be picked up! John is hilarious. He helped create Stefon!

8. aleph19 says:

John is absolutely hilarious and I’m glad he’s getting his moment in the sun.

9. Eric says:

You had me at John Mulaney. You lost me at multi-cam. Why can’t every network just start making single-cams exclusively?

• rowan77 says:

Multi-cam shows cost less. And there’s nothing wrong with multi-cam comedy. The Big Bang Theory is multi-cam, Friends was multi cam. Seinfeld was multi-cam. There are plenty of single-cam comedies out there that suck. It doesn’t make it better just because it’s shot differently.

• Eric says:

I do agree on some level. Friends and Seinfeld were definitely exceptions to the rule, as both were extremely funny, original series. But a lot of modern-day multi-cams seem to reuse the same plots and lame jokes that we’ve all heard a dozen times before. I can hope that this one manages to win me over, but I can only listen to a laugh track so many more times.

• Sam says:

Um, yes it does. Apart from The Big Bang Theory (which I don’t really care for anyway), and How I Met Your Mother (which is okay), all the critically acclaimed comedies on television are single-cam. Compare CBS’ lineup to ABC’s. In the last five years, there has not been a new, great multi-cam show. There have been loads of single-cams.
        I mean, of course there are exceptions, but on the hole, single-camera shows have a higher degree of maturity, depth, and creativity.

• rowan77 says:

The critically acclaimed comedies (of which TBBT is BTW) are critically acclaimed not because they are shot with two cameras instead of four (yes single camera shows are actually shot with two cameras, not one), but because the writing is smart and funny and the acting is good.

The only show on TV that uses a “laugh track” instead of an actual audience is How I Met Your Mother. The rest of the multi-cam shows use real audiences.

Multi cam shows with audiences started in the 1950s. Then Single cam sitcoms worked their way in and were all the rage in the 60′s into the mid-70′s then multi-cam shows made a strong comeback for about 30 years. Now we’re back to single cam being popular, but multi-cams are making a comeback – as they always do. It’s all cyclical. Plus, since multi-cam is cheaper, studios are looking to do more of them.

10. Ashley says:

Mulaney is awesome. I’ve listened to his New in Town special 10 times and its still hilarious. Love him.