Pilot Scoop: Fox Orders Futuristic Cop Drama From J.J. Abrams' Fringe Team

Get More: Pilots

logo-fox-300Fox and the team behind Fringe are going back to the future.

The network has made a pilot order for an untitled drama from J.J. “Star Wars” Abrams and his former Fringe colleague J.H. Wyman that’s being billed as an action-packed buddy cop show set in the near future when all LAPD officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get the Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers — and Who’s In Them!

Wyman penned the script and will serve as an EP alongside Abrams and Bryan Burk.

Thoughts?! Early casting suggestions? Hit the comments!

Comments (39)

• J.J. is one busy man.

Comment by jimbo – January 25, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s not enough dump trucks in the world to carry all the money they’re throwing at him.
      He’s more branding than man now!

Comment by ScrubsGuy – January 25, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha, my thoughs exactly! Kinda reminds of all those movies and video games advertised with music by Hans Zimmer when actually one of his minions did the work.

Comment by jimbo – January 25, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, they’re finally rebooting Mac and Cheese!

I hope they give a cameo to Joey Tribbiani. It wouldn’t be right without him.

Comment by Duke – January 25, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1

Comment by Arie – January 25, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mann & Machine

Comment by Michael Sacal – January 25, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This made me smile

Comment by Andy – January 25, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • haha. This!
      But seriously, I will watch this depending on the cast.

Comment by Krystan – January 25, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mac & Cheese … oh boy how I miss Friends! Gotta rewatch that soon…. but no I don’t want Matt LeBlanc to be in it.

Comment by SmallScreenAddicts A (@SmallScreenAddi) – January 26, 2013 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damn, I was coming here just to say exactly this… As soon as I saw “buddy cop show, with officer/android duos”, I thought of Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E. \o/

Comment by Delirious – January 26, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked that show back in 1992 when it was called Mann & Machine.

Comment by Sarah – January 25, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • isn’t this just mann & machine?

Comment by lloyd – January 25, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm… isn’t this old news though? Fox already ordered this pilot a while ago, right? Not the same as a pickup…

Comment by Donna – January 25, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YESSS! I was just thinking this. I guess it got put on the backburner until just now. Not that I don’t love TVLINE to pieces, but alot of times we will hear about the beginnings of something and never hear that it’s been struck dead. This could be because of lack of info received though as to what has happened with specific things. O well, if it’s really important, we’ll know! :)

Comment by Danielle H. – January 25, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone beat me to the Mac and Cheese joke.

Comment by Gilda – January 25, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Before Mann and Machine in the 90s, there was Future Cop with Ernest Borgnine in 1976. Look it up; this “new” show sounds very similar to the 1976 show.

Comment by Thom – January 25, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Josh Holloway? Would love to see him back on TV!

Comment by Ella – January 25, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds boring.

Comment by StupidPeopleShutUp – January 25, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nothing that the Fringe and Lost writters do are boring, believe me

Comment by Lorena – January 25, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …and at the end of the first season, we find out that all the machines have back door programming to serve an evil overlord, except our hero android resists the programming. Season two follows the rogue cops as they fight the system. Season two ends with the revelation that the evil overlord is an alien.

But I’ll watch it anyway. I’m not that jaded.

Comment by Tony – January 25, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There was once a time when I got excited JJ Abrams shows. His last few endeavors (Revolution, Alcatraz and Undercovers) left much to be desired.

Comment by Dean – January 25, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Undercovers! I think I might have been the only person in the country watching it but the Blooms were great. I’m enjoying Revolution, but I did give up on Alcatraz.

Comment by Katherine215 – January 25, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You weren’t the only one. I was watching and liking Undercovers.

Comment by Andy – January 25, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when i saw “futuristic cop show” I was afraid that he was going to make the In Death books by J.D. Robb into a t.v. show and got really sad because i know he’d screw them up. Thankfully, he’s chosen something so craptastic that i don’t have to worry about that.

Comment by nyangel22 – January 25, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh Holloway and Wentworth Miller

Comment by Levi – January 25, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am all for this pairing (or any similarly hot, smart pairing). Actually, I’m still missing Common Law, so it’s highly likely that the next buddy cop drama that resembles that previous kind of relationship between the leads will instantly have me hooked.

Comment by Lucy – January 25, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Torv as the cop, John Noble as “the Inventor” and Michael Cerveris as the robot…

Comment by truck – January 25, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would watch that. Fringe 2.0 with a bigger role for Jasika Nicole. She was seriously underused.

Comment by Krystan – January 25, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes to all of this, haha.

Comment by Avon – January 25, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will R. Daneel Olivaw be making an appearance?

Comment by Kevin M. – January 25, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Man… I was just thinking this. Bring on Elijah Bailey and Olivaw. In fact, that was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the description. Someone’s been tapping into his inner Asimov.

Comment by keja – January 26, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JJ and Burk are EPs for two different pilots on two different networks? Wyman’s Fox one and Alfonso Cuaron’s NBC one, right?

Comment by Emily – January 25, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will he be doing a ” Robocop,” or a ” Holmes and YoYo ” reboot?

Comment by Rjrtist – January 25, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh Hollaway, male lead. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Comment by topoftheworld18 – January 26, 2013 03:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe 2: These Are Not the Droids You’re Looking For

Comment by Laurel – January 26, 2013 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like AlienNation to me.

Comment by Dave – January 26, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post