Daniel Gillies Joins Vampire Diaries Spin-Off

THE VAMPIRE DIARIESThe Vampire Diaries’ potential spin-off The Originals is adding a fan favorite to its ranks.

Daniel Gillies, who plays the vampire Elijah, has joined the cast of the CW project, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | CW Boss Talks Wonder Woman, Vampire Diaries Spin-Off, Supernatural Renewal and More!

Gillies will co-star opposite Joseph Morgan (as Elijah’s Original hybrid brother Klaus) and Phoebe Tonkin (as werewolf Hayley) in Vampire Diaries‘ April 25 episode, which will serve as a planted pilot.

In the hour, penned by executive producer Julie Plec, Klaus returns to the French Quarter of New Orleans, a supernatural melting pot that he helped build centuries ago, and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel. Intent on helping his self-destructive brother find redemption, Elijah must side with Marcel’s enemies to keep Klaus in line.

If The Originals is ordered to series, Gillies will star on both the spin-off and his Canadian medical drama Saving Hope.

1. Sam says:

Yum! He is so gorgeous! I’ll definitely have to watch now!

2. S says:

Well I really hope this becomes a series now!

3. mac says:

now this just needs to get picked up and everything’s perfect =D
    If not he should return as a regular to VD

4. ktbanks says:

Even as a big Vampire Diaries fan, I hadn’t decided if I would watch the spin-off for sure….this makes up my mind! Elijah is probably my favorite character from the whole VPD universe, so I’ll be watching!

5. Amanda says:

Love it! So excited about this spinoff!!! Do we know if rebecca will be in it? I hope so!

6. Sam says:

Hate Klaus…but love Elijah. Ah so conflicted about watching this show now!

7. Elijah (along with Stefan and Caroline) is my favorite character, so I will be watching primarily for him. I think Stefan and Caroline should join this show so I won’t feel compelled (that’s a little pun-y, huh?) to watch TVD anymore.

8. Jake says:

Nooo I need him back on Saving Hope, I love him on that show.

9. Shari says:

Am I the ONLY one not drinking the originals kool aid? They’ve pretty much hijacked the show ever since they showed up so I for one hope this spinoff is a hit so I don’t have to see Klaus and any of his whiny, evil shenanigans on my screen again.

• Rrrrrr says:

Yes! God, I thought the sort was good when they brought it in, but is been about two seasons since then. The storyline should have ended last year. It’s ridiculous. I do, however, hope the series doesn’t get picked up. I still want Klaus to go away, but having him go to star in his own series negates everything every other character has Ben trying to do, making the better part of two seasons virtually worthless. Klaus needs to get his on VD, and then the show needs to move on.

• Annie says:

No, I agree. It’s no coincidence that the strongest episode of the season (4×02) had exactly ZERO originals in it. They weigh down the plot and prevent anything from being truly threatening or unpredictable. There’s no room for them in our little Mystic Falls. It was fine when it was only Elijah, however.

• wordsmith says:

This is one of the main reasons I’m looking forward to the spinoff. I like the Originals conceptually and as characters, but they tend to hijack the TVD plots. With their own show, we can still get all of that epic mythology and let TVD get back to its roots.

• SAM says:

I agree completely. I don’t enjoy the Originals on TVD as they have just overtaken the show. I wasn’t planning on watching the spin-off but may check it out now that Daniel Gillies has been signed.

• MikeyM says:

I couldn’t agree more. These characters are overused and tired of them.

10. Isaac says:

Klause AND Elijah leaving TVD for this spin-off? Will this kill TVD? And the more I hear about this spin-off the more it sounds really close to Angel.

11. blanket says:

All the remaining Originals should be on the Originals spin off…but this will make TVD very boring and the spin-off too amazing most likely. My one wish is for Caroline to move to the new show as well. At this point, Stefan also does not really have a role left on the TVD and should also jump over. Or at least have the characters interchange between the shows.

• Cat says:

I agree with you about Caroline and Stefan and also Bonnie. They are finally testing the waters with Kennett right now so Bonnie should make the jump. TVD isn’t going to last it’s six season though, the ratings are plummetting.

12. Lois says:

Dammit! Now I’ll probably have to watch it. I was gonna be so happy to get rid of Klaus but I love Elijah. I’m torn!

13. Claire says:

Okay. I love everything about this. EXCEPT HAYLEY. Am I the only one who thought she was, far and away, TVD’s most annoying and pointless character?

14. Annie-Claude says:

So happy about this news! Was worried he wouldn’t be able to be in it cause of Saving Hope, great that he can do both. I miss him on TVD, Elijah is my favorite character.

15. Yay, I love Daniel on Saving Hope but miss him on VD. He is the only Original I love and miss, maybe that has something to do with him not being on the screen every 5 minutes like Klaus!

16. dude says:

Should the lack of Claire Holt news surrounding this suggest that she is staying on TVD or that she’s being killed off? I hope it’s the former. The idea of an originals spin-off is intriguing but I wouldn’t watch unless Rebekah was involved.

17. Fernanda says:

“The Originals” would become a sort of version of Buffy’s spin off, Angel but in the whole Vampire Diaries Universe? Before I judge, i want to see the episode pilot first, but I don´t want to see walking away Joseph Morgan and his vampire family out of TVD.

18. SAM says:

Darn it. I may have to watch it now.

19. wordsmith says:

Kind of interested to see how Phoebe Tonkin will be worked into the story. Reminds me of when they announced that Cordelia would be making the jump to Angel – “Hmm, that’s an… interesting choice, but okay…”
    Of course, that move worked out far better than I think any of us were expecting, so there’s certainly hope.

• gary says:

gonna guess she becomes Klaus hybrid. That the only way i could see her moving to the new show

• Cat says:

hayley might just become a new love interest for klaus if caroline doesn’t come around. caroline and stefan seem to be on their way to happening so i don’t know…

• wordsmith says:

And I totally understand the impulse to keep her around and on contract. Some other show would likely snatch her up in a heartbeat if she was available.

20. gary says:

Still dont get why Phoebe Tonkin is in involved but now with Daniel on board this show is gonna be a cant miss for me. Any idea what is up with Rebecca though? I really hope she is gonna be a regular on one of the shows

21. gary says:

And seriously there is no way this doesnt got to series with CW not being able to find a show to go with TVD

22. Dominique says:

I’m not even surprised. Julie Plec may hardcore love Klaus, but she knows a spin-off solely focussed on him will never last, opinions in the fandom are far too different for that to happen. So she adds the one character that she knows the bigger part of the fandom loves; Elijah
    It should make this show sound more appealing to me, because I love Elijah and I would watch him in anything. But sadly, it still doens’t sound like something I’d like.
    Good for Daniel Gillies tho. Just wondering how he’ll pull it off with Saving Hope..

23. Lorena says:

I bet we will see a little Katherine in there!! i hope so

24. Babybop says:

A vampire show with a hot cast and no whiny Elena? I’m in!

25. Alicia says:

Now only Claire and Nathaniel have to sign up:) I am a little worried they are still not confirmed for the spin-off. I’m afraid Kol might not make it till the end of the season because of his (reasonable) interference with the search for the cure. Really hope he’ll survive because there’s so much potential and mystery about him, plus he’s fun and cute. I love the Original family but Rebekah is my absolute favorite (or Klaus–can’t choose) and she must continue kicking a** whether it’d be in New Orleans or in Mystic Falls.

26. Kalee says:

Elijah I can understand for this spin-off. But Klaus finding redemption??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO. Too little too late TVD. He’ll always be the Big Bad that needs to go sooner rather than never.

27. Ace says:

I’m on the fence about this one. I love Elijah and Klaus, but I really (really, really) don’t like Hayley. I hope they get rid of her quickly and bring Rebekah on board.

• Jason says:

Unless you want a series with incest involved they need a love interest for Klaus and Elijah. Rebekka is their siter so she can not fill this role. They want some romance in the show!

• simmy says:

i can really see klaus with hayley- they’re both hot and passionated, but nobleman elijah with badass hayley..not sure :D well, this will be an interesting love triangle :D

28. Jen says:

so glad to see elijah and klaus will be on the show together… now they just need to get rebekah and kol on the show and it will be complete!!!

29. Shaun says:

I’m surprised saving hope is still airing?

30. Jason says:

They should add James Marsters as Spike!!

31. Amy says:

This is the only thing that would actually have me watching the show. I don’t find Klaus particularly interesting, but Elijah on the other hand….

32. Isabelle says:

YES! Best news I’ve gotten today. I love me some Elijah and now with the spin off we’d get so much more of him and hopefully more of his back story. I cant wait.

33. rachelle says:

Yes, yes, yes! I am sooooo there. Please, CW make this show happen. And then everyone watch so it can last.

34. Whatever says:

Fantastic ! Must see TV now.

35. luli says:

The only thing missing is Claire Holt!

36. Katie says:

Best news ever for “The Originals” but please, PLEASE don’t try to pair Hayley with Elijah. Klaus would be bad enough, but watching Phoebe Tonkin stumble with her awkward acting through scenes with my favorite male vampire would break my fragile heart.

• simmy says:

problably is will be a triangle, but with a little luck hayley will just have an affair with klaus and elijah will have got this human female student as love interest- camilla is her name. i think that would fit quite good, because elijah nearly fell in love with human katherine 500 years ago :D

37. Amy J says:

A million times, yes.

38. Taylor says:

that picture is amazing.

39. Randy says:

Rebekah is my favorite character on TVD but I will follow Claire Holt to which ever show they put her on. Just please quit staking her for half a season at a time. I don’t think the writers know how many fans she has. I have a feeling they will give Rebekah the cure so they can kill her as a human.

40. Arron says:

i’m thinking Hayley might be a decedent of Klaus or someone big in mystic falls, or could have a same story line as elena and katherine,……… and why is everyone talking about buffy and angel the shows are nothing alike Sept for vampires……..

41. Nik says:

Should be interesting. Klaus is never boring and Elijah is also one of my faves. Rebekah belongs there too and I’d like to see if the writers could work it somehow and have both Stefan and Caroline move over to the new series. Not loving the whole “Hayley” thing because, no offense to the actress, the character is just plain annoying. I don’t get the infatuation with her at all.

42. Gerald says:

Fist I heard about Saving Hope coming back. So Yay!! As for The Originals I do like Elijah, but have little interest in this. I will be upset if this Orginals gets picked up and one of my other CW shows gets the axe.

43. luby says:

I’m so excited. I love the originals. They make TVD. More watchable. Can’t wait. Kluase and Ellijah are dreamy. They should be paired with someone good. Definitaly not Haley. Can’t stand her. Bt the shows happen how we want them.

44. MikeyM says:

These characters are already played out and they want to do a whole TV show around them?

45. Ashley says:

I love klaus and Elijah! And I want to see klaus with Caroline! I hope this doesn’t mean they will never be on TVD because I’m tired of the Elena/Stefan thing. At least if Katherine comes back it will be more interesting.

46. See, I’m really sick of Klaus. I’d be happy to see him go. However, they’ve kept the originals around for so long now, it almost feels integral to the plot. They’d have to start something completely fresh, which actually, would be great. But they’ve killed off so many of the original cast (Jenna, Jeremy, Alaric) that they almost need some more characters to fill the gaps.

47. Priya says:

I can’t wait!!!!! i Love the originals and I’m looking forward to watching the spin off!!! I love Klaus ,and Rebeka, and Elijah!!