Pilot News: Fox Orders Bill Lawrence Project, American Gavin & Stacey and 2 More Comedies

2010 Winter TCA Tour - Day 4Fox announced on Tuesday evening the order of four comedy pilots — including one from Scrubs/Cougar Town creator Bill Lawrence.

RELATED | Fox’s Drama Pilot Orders Include Greg Kinnear’s Rake, Modern Sleepy Hollow, Delirium Trilogy Adaptation

Lawrence is executive-producing a yet-to-be-titled adaptation of I Suck at Girls, a book by Justin Halpern (who will pen the pilot and also serve as an EP). The single-cam comedy tells the story of “a boy becoming a man and a man becoming a father, in a time before ‘coming of age’ was something you could Google.” Patrick Schumacker will co-write the pilot, and Jeff Ingold is a fourth EP.

Next, there’s Friends & Family, a single-camera adaptation of the UK series Gavin & Stacey, about two very different lovers who try to make a long-distance relationship work. David Rosen (I Just Want My Pants Back) will write the pilot, with Jane Tranter, Julie Gardner, Gavin & Stacey creators James Corden and Ruth Jones, and Henry Normal also serving as EPs.

Another single-cam comedy, House Rules, follows an introverted, neurotic Wisconsin family that lives in a community of over-sharers. Justin Hurwitz (The League) and Andrew Grland will write the pilot; David Dobkin, Paul Young and Peter Principato are other exec producers.

Lastly, there’s To My Assistant, which is based on a blog and upcoming book of the same name by Lydia Whitlock. Following the grumbling, oppressed assistants at a tony New York city law firm, it will be penned by Sherry Bilsing-Graham (Friends) and Ellen Kreamer (The New Adventures of Old Christine), with Dan Lin and Jennifer Gwartz also serving as EPs.

1. Eric says:

Anything by Bill Lawrence will gain my undying love.

2. Andrew says:

Is Friends & Family the US version of Gavin & Stacey? With Corden and Jones on board as EPs, I assume so…

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yes; updated.

• filmex2000 says:

The bad news is that, on the heels of word of an American remake of the great Aussie series “Rake”, now we’re going to try and reboot the exquisite “Gavin & Stacey”.
      The only thing that makes me hopeful is that one of the talents behind the woefully under-appreciated, “I Just Want My Pants Back” is involved. Keeping fingers crossed.

3. stevie says:

is there ANYTHING on other than sitcoms this fall????

• nick1372 says:

I seems that most of the drama pilots (i.e. NBC’s After Hours) have been ordered a while ago, presumably because dramas take longer to film than comedies (epecially multi-cams) and usually have more post-production editing involved.

4. Bill Lawrence? Automatic watch right there. And House Rules sounds the most promising, IMO. The other two, I can already see being filled with really awful cliches and overused tropes. I’ll still give ‘em a shot, though!

5. l says:

I dislike American sitcom and you fail at anything you try and copy from Australia so I’m not into any of this.Sorry.

• TMW says:

I agree about Kath & Kim but let’s get real, Australian TV is absolutely awful and the annual TV Week Logie Awards are a total joke. Why do so many Aussie actors come here to the US to work? It’s prefty easy to figure out why.

• filmex2000 says:

Aussie TV is awful? The “Underbelly” series have been the best crime dramas on television since “The Sopranos” and “Rake” with Richard Roxburgh is better than 90% of the crap that flows on American television.

6. Dan Hoppel says:

I’m really bummed about the Gavin & Stacey remake. That show was perfect, especially the first season. I have a hard time believing that it won’t be ruined, even with Corden and Jones as EPs.

7. nick1372 says:

Nah, I’ll pass on all of them, even the Bill Lawrence one.

8. Karen says:

Gavin & Stacey is one of those incredible shows that I think will be difficult to translate. But if Corden and Jones are attached I guess it has the possibility of working

9. Daniel says:

Looks like only sitcoms get pilot orders. Definetly gonna watch the Bill Lawrence show,. ‘To my assistant’ could be a fun show

10. S. Smith says:

I’m really looking forward to the assistant show. I hope it’s good.

S. Smith