Ratings: AFC Championship Sacks ABC Dramas

Ravens_FlaccoScrimmaging with CBS’ broadcast of the AFC Championship football game, ABC’s Sunday night dramas got knocked around hard, dropping to new lows.

Once Upon a Time, with 7.7 million total viewers and a 2.4 demo rating, saw declines of 6 and 14 percent week-to-week, hitting an all-time low in the demo.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: The Monster Mash

Likewise, Revenge (5.7 mil/1.7) fell 7 and 15 percent, setting a new series low for a second straight week.

RELATED | Revenge Recap: A Little Hope? Nope!

CBS’ numbers are fantastically preliminary “due to the nature of live sporting events” (as the old chestnut goes), but highly guesstimatory algorithms suggest that the Ravens-Patriots game averaged 41.5 million total viewers and a 14.6 rating from 7-10 pm.

Leading out of that, a special Hawaii Five-0 broadcast drew 12.9 million total viewers and a 3.4 rating, CBS reports, landing it 22 and 62 percent above the most recent Mentalist (if anyone wants to compare apples to oranges).

Want scoop on Once Upon a Time, Revenge, Five-0 or any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Ames says:

Wow that is so not good for Revenge!

2. Just Sayin' says:

I think CBS aired the AFC Championship and the NFC was earlier on Fox.

3. Mike says:

I don’t think you can really look at these ratings and say OUAT or Revenge are in any kind of trouble, they were up against the biggest football games that are not the Super Bowl. ABC couldn’t of expected much.

• shump says:

Still pretty bad for Revenge. They need to avoid airing against major TV events like the Globes, Football championships and the Grammys.

• Frenzz says:

Yep, they need to stop wasting good shows.
        A few years ago, that was the beginning of the end for Brothers & Sisters, and I still hate ABC for that.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I am guessing ABC’s reasoning on the issue is that they’re more of a female-centric channel with female-centric shows and would therefore still pull in their normal numbers against a football game. But that’s dumb. I know a ton of women who watch football and wouldn’t miss those games for any show. I do wish networks would stop trying to compete against big events like important football games and awards shows. They should save their most-watched series for a night when they’ve actually got a shot of winning the ratings.

4. mawhi says:

UMMM yikes misleading headline. “Sacks” sounds like cancelled – mini-panic!!

5. From 49ers to the losing Patriots. I’m not a ravens fan but flacco or Lewis deserve the photo.

6. Bigby_wolf says:

I don’t understand why ABC thought it was a good idea putting OUAT & Revenge up against Football?! They will both be going up against the Grammy’s and the Oscars too. What is ABC thinking?!

7. Don’t you think it would make more sense for these networks to take their two week hiatus breaks during award & football season as apposed to the week after they air their first episode? They do it to themselves. I still watch OUAT & Revenge I just have to DVR it. I’m sure those ratings were up.

8. wrstlgirl says:

Well, I watched OUAT and Revenge, I’m a 9er’s fan :-) Having said that OUAT was just meh but Revenge was good.

9. kate says:

Go Ravens!! So proud of my team :)

10. anil says:

Stupid football lol. But ABC is even stupider for not learning their lesson. Why do they have to ruin their two most loved dramas? Just wait til you air new episodes while 40 million people watch football. Im surprised anyone even tuned in for these shows lol.

• lll says:

At least ABC is smart enough to go on hiatus unitl Feb. 10. While they won’t air against the super bowl, they are competing against the grammys. Double edged sword.

• anil says:

Omg lol are u serious? I forgot about the Grammys. Just when Revenge is back on its original exciting roots, ABC has to air against huge competition. If this show goes way down, its all their FAULT. I’d like to see who the monkeys are that run ABC.

11. Leondre says:

ABC is dumb. They could have just shown the hallmark movie last night and OUAT/revenge next Sunday. Dumb decisions like this are the reason why they haven’t been #1 since Who Wants to be a Millionaire and I don’t see the network ever returning to that position.

12. ej says:

ABC is really dropping the ball, so to speak. Have they learned nothing from going up against Sunday Night Football? You have to know that will be multiplied several times with the set-up to the Superbowl, particularly on the possibility of the Niners winning the NFC, which I imagine got more people tuned in to the AFC to see if the Ravens would win, setting up a brother vs. brother Superbowl. ABC got clobbered, and now they have a repeat up against the Pro Bowl, which doesn’t get as high ratings and come back against the Grammys which will knock them down another peg or two! Who is running their programming department? Taking an unnecessarily long 5 week hiatus in December and January has messed with their scheduling. 3 new episodes and then a 3 week hiatus with the bookend episodes up against rating killers is nuts. I think they are trying to keep a multi-episodic storyline together for OUAT, but a lot of people will miss part 1 watching the Grammys, particularly with the sub-par writing this season, so they’re really shooting themselves in the foot here. I doubt their shows are at any risk for cancelation with steady week-to-week numbers overall, but exasperating viewers is never a good thing.

13. Mari says:

H50 numbers are pretty bad considering its monster lead in.

14. Mandy says:

Go Ravens!!!!! Love my team!!!! :)

15. Sarah says:

The show would do a lot better, if they geared this more toward adults, and part of that might mean a later show-time. The show is already inappropriate for children as it is. Thing is, it’s right up an adult’s alley. I think it should air at 10:00 pm on Friday nights, and they need to simmer down on introducing more people for a while. I like who they already have, Hook included. Why don’t theystop teasing people, get to a point, and work off of this for a while, before they shake things up again. I think they’re exasperating their viewership.

They also need to refocus on somebody else for a while. I don’t think their focus on Belle and Rumplestiltskin is doing them much good. I think viewers are bored.

• Sarah says:

Hook wasn’t even in the promo for the last episode. I think that’s important to note, because it could explain why some people didn’t watch it if they didn’t know he’d be there.

• Sarah says:

Sorry, forgot to mention: I was talking about Once Upon A Time.