Ratings: AFC Championship Sacks ABC Dramas

Get More: News, Ratings, Sports

Ravens_FlaccoScrimmaging with CBS’ broadcast of the AFC Championship football game, ABC’s Sunday night dramas got knocked around hard, dropping to new lows.

Once Upon a Time, with 7.7 million total viewers and a 2.4 demo rating, saw declines of 6 and 14 percent week-to-week, hitting an all-time low in the demo.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: The Monster Mash

Likewise, Revenge (5.7 mil/1.7) fell 7 and 15 percent, setting a new series low for a second straight week.

RELATED | Revenge Recap: A Little Hope? Nope!

CBS’ numbers are fantastically preliminary “due to the nature of live sporting events” (as the old chestnut goes), but highly guesstimatory algorithms suggest that the Ravens-Patriots game averaged 41.5 million total viewers and a 14.6 rating from 7-10 pm.

Leading out of that, a special Hawaii Five-0 broadcast drew 12.9 million total viewers and a 3.4 rating, CBS reports, landing it 22 and 62 percent above the most recent Mentalist (if anyone wants to compare apples to oranges).

Want scoop on Once Upon a Time, Revenge, Five-0 or any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (35)

• Wow that is so not good for Revenge!

Comment by Ames – January 21, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think CBS aired the AFC Championship and the NFC was earlier on Fox.

Comment by Just Sayin' – January 21, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, fixed. (Nielsen had it coded wrong.)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 21, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think you can really look at these ratings and say OUAT or Revenge are in any kind of trouble, they were up against the biggest football games that are not the Super Bowl. ABC couldn’t of expected much.

Comment by Mike – January 21, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Still pretty bad for Revenge. They need to avoid airing against major TV events like the Globes, Football championships and the Grammys.

Comment by shump – January 21, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep, they need to stop wasting good shows.
        A few years ago, that was the beginning of the end for Brothers & Sisters, and I still hate ABC for that.

Comment by Frenzz – January 21, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am guessing ABC’s reasoning on the issue is that they’re more of a female-centric channel with female-centric shows and would therefore still pull in their normal numbers against a football game. But that’s dumb. I know a ton of women who watch football and wouldn’t miss those games for any show. I do wish networks would stop trying to compete against big events like important football games and awards shows. They should save their most-watched series for a night when they’ve actually got a shot of winning the ratings.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 21, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m one of those women. Revenge gets demoted to DVR if the Ravens are playing. Especially if its the AFC championship and against the Patriots.

Comment by Jules – January 21, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m one of those women too. Nothing on tv beats seeing the Pats lose unless it’s seeing the Yankees lose

Comment by Diane Raetz – January 21, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UMMM yikes misleading headline. “Sacks” sounds like cancelled – mini-panic!!

Comment by mawhi – January 21, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “sacks” is a football term.

Comment by Shari – January 21, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From 49ers to the losing Patriots. I’m not a ravens fan but flacco or Lewis deserve the photo.

Comment by freakinandpeakin – January 21, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Done!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 21, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks…now just remember for inauguration coverage to use a photo of Obama and not Romney. Lol

Comment by freakinandpeakin – January 21, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks Matt! Go Ravens!

Comment by Jules – January 21, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why ABC thought it was a good idea putting OUAT & Revenge up against Football?! They will both be going up against the Grammy’s and the Oscars too. What is ABC thinking?!

Comment by Bigby_wolf – January 21, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • how are they going up against the oscars exactly? They’re both on ABC…

Comment by zed – January 21, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are absolutely correct. I had a brain fart lol

Comment by Bigby_wolf – January 21, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually no the Grammys are on CBS this year

Comment by OnceFan316 – January 21, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they’re thinking that at least the West Coast will get to watch the shows? And that not everyone is a football fanatic? And that waiting until football and the Grammy’s are over would be too long of a wait? I’m not sure; these are just the theories of a non-football fan living in Seattle who is glad when any of her shows are new.

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – January 21, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • lol, you got away with not catching Seahawks fever, huh? :) Kudos to you for that. My family got me sucked into the Seahawks playoff games. I wish they hadn’t. I can’t stand the disappointment of a loss.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 21, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t you think it would make more sense for these networks to take their two week hiatus breaks during award & football season as apposed to the week after they air their first episode? They do it to themselves. I still watch OUAT & Revenge I just have to DVR it. I’m sure those ratings were up.

Comment by Maria (@mariaa02) – January 21, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I watched OUAT and Revenge, I’m a 9er’s fan :-) Having said that OUAT was just meh but Revenge was good.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 21, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Ravens!! So proud of my team :)

Comment by kate – January 21, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stupid football lol. But ABC is even stupider for not learning their lesson. Why do they have to ruin their two most loved dramas? Just wait til you air new episodes while 40 million people watch football. Im surprised anyone even tuned in for these shows lol.

Comment by anil – January 21, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At least ABC is smart enough to go on hiatus unitl Feb. 10. While they won’t air against the super bowl, they are competing against the grammys. Double edged sword.

Comment by lll – January 21, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Omg lol are u serious? I forgot about the Grammys. Just when Revenge is back on its original exciting roots, ABC has to air against huge competition. If this show goes way down, its all their FAULT. I’d like to see who the monkeys are that run ABC.

Comment by anil – January 21, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC is dumb. They could have just shown the hallmark movie last night and OUAT/revenge next Sunday. Dumb decisions like this are the reason why they haven’t been #1 since Who Wants to be a Millionaire and I don’t see the network ever returning to that position.

Comment by Leondre – January 21, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC is really dropping the ball, so to speak. Have they learned nothing from going up against Sunday Night Football? You have to know that will be multiplied several times with the set-up to the Superbowl, particularly on the possibility of the Niners winning the NFC, which I imagine got more people tuned in to the AFC to see if the Ravens would win, setting up a brother vs. brother Superbowl. ABC got clobbered, and now they have a repeat up against the Pro Bowl, which doesn’t get as high ratings and come back against the Grammys which will knock them down another peg or two! Who is running their programming department? Taking an unnecessarily long 5 week hiatus in December and January has messed with their scheduling. 3 new episodes and then a 3 week hiatus with the bookend episodes up against rating killers is nuts. I think they are trying to keep a multi-episodic storyline together for OUAT, but a lot of people will miss part 1 watching the Grammys, particularly with the sub-par writing this season, so they’re really shooting themselves in the foot here. I doubt their shows are at any risk for cancelation with steady week-to-week numbers overall, but exasperating viewers is never a good thing.

Comment by ej – January 21, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • H50 numbers are pretty bad considering its monster lead in.

Comment by Mari – January 21, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Ravens!!!!! Love my team!!!! :)

Comment by Mandy – January 21, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show would do a lot better, if they geared this more toward adults, and part of that might mean a later show-time. The show is already inappropriate for children as it is. Thing is, it’s right up an adult’s alley. I think it should air at 10:00 pm on Friday nights, and they need to simmer down on introducing more people for a while. I like who they already have, Hook included. Why don’t theystop teasing people, get to a point, and work off of this for a while, before they shake things up again. I think they’re exasperating their viewership.

They also need to refocus on somebody else for a while. I don’t think their focus on Belle and Rumplestiltskin is doing them much good. I think viewers are bored.

Comment by Sarah – January 22, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hook wasn’t even in the promo for the last episode. I think that’s important to note, because it could explain why some people didn’t watch it if they didn’t know he’d be there.

Comment by Sarah – January 22, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, forgot to mention: I was talking about Once Upon A Time.

Comment by Sarah – January 22, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post