On Justified, Rachel's Quiet Frustration Boils Over, Creating 'Tension' Between Her and Raylan

Get More: Previews

jst_403_Truth_0690Deputy US Marshall Rachel Brooks’ cool, calm and collected act is about to come unraveled FX’s Justified (Tuesdays, 10/9c), when a simmering frustration boils over and leads her to make a brash move — one that threatens to wreck her working relationship with Raylan.

RELATED | Justified: Raylan and Boyd’s Falling Out, Winona’s Whereabouts and More Scoop

As hinted at last week, “There’s trouble in paradise, at home, and that explains a little about how she’s been on edge,” Erica Tazel tells TVLine. “And it further fuels the restlessness that Rachel is starting to feel ever since Raylan came to Lexington.”

Because while Rachel surely can appreciate the special “skill set” that her trigger-happy fellow Deputy US Marshal (played by Timothy Olyphant) brings to the table, his tendency to run afoul of process — and with little lasting backlash from the boss — has gotten to be a bit much.

“What I’m discovering this year,” says Tazel, “is that there’s a frustration with [Chief Deputy] Art [Mullen]. He keeps saying Rachel is his ‘best Marshall,’ and yet we have this great mystery [about Waldo Truth] that could be a game-changing case for her professional ambitions, and she’s nowhere near it.”

Rachel’s seeming solution: Make herself near the case. “She’s hungry. She just wants a win. She wants Art to see that’s hes still here,” Tazel explains. “So she makes a decision to do something [this week] that’s completely outside of herself.”

RELATED | Exclusive: Justified Corrals Lost Vet for Arc

Alas, because Rachel is no pro at coloring outside the lines, “She gets in trouble,” Tazel previews. “And then she has a chance to say [to Art], ‘When Raylan does this, there’s a set of consequences. But when I do it, theres something else. What’s up with that?’ And that sets up a bit of tension between her and Raylan.”

While it might seem a bummer to not be best buds with super-cool Raylan, Tazel relished the chance to explore the feds’ very different ways. “What’s been fun for me this year is to discover how that [disparity in treatment] affects how I feel about this man whose protégé I consider myself to be,” she says.

Will Rachel rein in her sense of rivalry and ultimately make nice with Raylan? “At the end of the day, she was wrong,” Tazel notes. “So she’ll make up for it later on.”

Want more scoop on Justified, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (14)

• I’m not big on Rachel, but I don’t really know very much about her character either, so maybe after tomorrow’s episode I’ll like her much better. She has seemed a little too perfect up to this point, I am kind of excited to see her show some cracks. What I really want to see more of though is Patton Oswalt. I hope they are bringing him back soon.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 21, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad this season we’ll see a bit more of the rest of the marshals. We basically know nothing of Rachel so I’m excited for the episodes. Now we only need more of Tim, preferebly in snipper mode.

Comment by MJ – January 21, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sniper mode would be awesome.

Comment by tp – January 21, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i am wanting the producers to be aware of some cool info..
        BABY FACE NELSON is buried in HARLAN COUNTY(loyal)
        would that not be a cool thing to have on one of the shows
        everyone has heard of BABY FACE NELSON!!!!

Comment by Dana Patterson-Centers – January 31, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am with you all the way.

Comment by Sabrina – January 28, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Rachel and I can’t wait for tomorrow’s episode! I love that Rachel and Tim are getting bigger storylines. Tim in snipper mode, or actually any mode would be fabulous!!

Comment by Shayna – January 21, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justifed should have 26 episode seasons and each episode should be 90 minutes.

Comment by Luke – January 21, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol well then get ready for a episode a month, or maybe every 2 months. A season would be 2-4 years long. I would much much much rather prefer quality writing and quality scripts, in a shorter season. So no filler, no lame story lines, etc. And Justified is proof of that formula, shows with 13 episode orders are SOOO much better than the shows with 20-24 episodes a season. Let alone the writers and actors (and crew) get burnt out which can lead to them not resigning their contract for more seasons.

Comment by M3rc Nate – January 21, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t get the point of ill-informed comments like this. Is it intended to be a joke, ha-ha?

Comment by Lauren – January 21, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He is making an exaggeration to show how much he likes the show. No need to insult the guy. Are you trolling or just taking out your bad day on others? ha-ha?

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 21, 2013 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This! Thank you!

Comment by luke – January 22, 2013 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t understand, how is someone’s clear excitement and love for the show ill-informed?

Comment by Ley – January 22, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very glad to see the other marshals get bigger story lines. They seemed almost non-existant last season. Uh, still love the show, though! :)

Comment by phamster – January 22, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad to see more Rachel & Tim this season. Whenever the 4 marshalls are together or when Raylan interacts with them as opposed to the other characters..except Boyd..it is tv magic! tim in sniper mode would be AWESOME!

Comment by Sabrina – January 28, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post