Castle Recap: Sex, Lies and Videotape/SD Cards

STANA KATIC, NATHAN FILLIONThis week on ABC’s Castle, as Kate and Rick investigated the murder of a naughty video tycoon, Esposito found himself quite interested in one person of interest. And Alex started a vlog!

RELATED | Could Castle Learn Something from Bones? And Many More TV Questions!

THE CASE | When Beau Randolph, the producer of a Girls Gone Wild-esque video franchise, is strangled with an expensive 36D bra, all eyes are on his stalker-y actress ex-girlfriend. But then Beau’s recently hired bodyguard, Scarlet, draws suspicion when the deceased’s office security cam catches her pinching an SD card from his safe post mortem. Once Scarlet is cleared of that mystery — she claims she was retreiving a mortified gal pal’s sex tape — Espo determined the tough gal ripe for asking out.  And out they went, but just as things heated up, Beckett threw cold water on their date by brandishing evidence that Scarlet had lied. The bodyguard explained away that rap, too, and after a brief detour that suggested the daughter of a Parents Television Council-type watchdog group had offed Beau to conceal their sex tape, the killer wound up being — as I predicted the instant we first met him, and for exactly the reason I thought — Beau’s cameraman, who wasn’t about to let the boss cash out just to be an upstanding dad. Yes, an obvious outcome, but I liked the case nonetheless. Interesting variety of suspects, and the Espo subplot was entertaining if fleeting.

RELATED | Get Scoop on Castle‘s Esposito/Lanie from Matt’s Inside Line

THE CASKETT | For a second straight week, not much to work with here. There was again zero pick-up of the Meredith/”Rick doesn’t open up” thread, though there was some playful banter dealing with Beau’s busty babes-filled work climate (and Beckett’s own distraction by a rival’s scantily clad male talent). Also, there was a hint of a warm moment at the very end, when Kate visibly appreciated Rick’s observation, “A father would do anything for his daughter” — which also related to his concerns about grown-up Alexis’ new vlog.

RELATED | Accident on Castle Set Injures Two People

THE QUIPS | Beckett to Rick: “It’s OK to look”…. Rick to Esposito: “Eject!”…. Rick to the College Guys Gone Nuts producer, with a nod to distracted Kate: “We’re not here about your dancers. Are we?”…. “She broke a guy’s nose; you know shes gotta be freaky!”…. Rick’s slight, knowing nod when Tiffany explained that during club sex, “Things go missing”…. Kate crashing Espo’s date: “Or better yet, how about we continue this at my place?”… And the winner: “Sorry to cop-block you, bro.”

What were your favorite parts of “Death Gone Crazy”?

Want scoop on Castle, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Jess says:

I personally don’t have a problem with the episodes. You all want to see more of the secret Castkett moments, but whats the point in secret moments when the person they are keeping it a secret from isn’tthere. The character who plays.Gates had to take.some episodes off. If you paid attention though you would see that all the cast members have said that there are going to be some.steamy episodes coming up. They don’t have pda moments but they still have their moments. Like in this weeks episode when beckett was checking out the dancers or at the end when beckett smiled. Personally i feel as if these two episodes are gearing up for something big because weve seen Castle being a proud papa and Beckett getting that look she gets in both episodes. As in maybe foreshadowing to something in the future… Just saying.

2. Katie says:

It’s a procedural show. If they start focusing on Beckett/Castle’s relationship it’ll wind up a soap opera, and then everyone will be b-tching about that. The writers can’t win.

3. tvdiva says:

This will go down as my least favorite episode. It was boring and lifeless and so not moving the Caskett relationship forward at all.

4. Jose says:

It looks like Marlowe lose his Mojo for this season :(

5. grr-arrgh says:

*sigh* Nathan and Stana just seem bored. Frankly, these 2 fantastic leads are being so severely under-used, it’s bordering on ridiculous.

Can somebody, ANYBODY give these two something to do? You know other than Castle sitting on a desk at the precinct and cranking out a token one liner, and Becket standing as far away from Castle as possible and just blankly staring into her coffee mug?

Jeepers, perhaps, the pen should be slashing ‘Esposito’ in the opening credits now. I lurv Jon H, but Nathan seems to be getting the least amount of dialogue lately. p.s. We need a Perlmutter episode stat! Those are always hilarious! ;)

6. Krithika says:

It’s been too too long since i actually SQUEALED at Castle. Back when they were a non-couple, I used to watch every episode with the hope that they would atleast hold hands. Now when they are actually a couple, I have begun to watch recent episodes with the hope that they would stay for atleast 5 minutes in the same room. The spark is dying writers…
    Missing Gates terribly and what is up with Espo?? He was so obnoxious in this episode and I can’t believe Kate never even mentioned anything about Lanie when he told her about Scarlett. Honestly, what’s wrong with Kate? Or for that matter, the show???

7. Luli101 says:

Glad to see most everyone feels the same as I do about Caskett. Just a second or two longer looking deeply into each others eyes would help and we can’t even get that. Hand touches, finding ways to connect at the precinct even. I’m at a loss as to why these two are completely frozen this season. There is no excuse for it. I do blame it on the writing and directing and there is blame on the Actors, too.

8. Lidia says:

Marlowe check the ratings dude..NOT GOOD, not good AT ALL!

9. t says:

Ahhh, I’m glad I’m finally seeing people say the same things I’ve been saying since about episode 4 this season. Who knew that the Castle “ship” would turn out to be the Titanic, hitting the iceberg of the writers’ own making.

What the heck is that doofus Marlowe thinking? He has completely blown it. Does he want out of the show or what?

I’m off to go buy stock in pitchfork, tar and feathers. If this trend continues I stand to become very wealthy on investment returns.

10. Lilu says:

well, the ep was ok, but the lack of smooching is ridiculous. Caskett moments are less then in the older seasons!!! I was expecting something like in the HEAT Books you know, Crime solving at day, sexy time in the evening. Is it that hard?!

11. CASTLE is not just about Caskett it’s a crime show we cannot just focus on them or so, and everyone of the main cast have their right to have their own story, maybe you got bored in a way that it’s new to you. Just my point, and other than that I still love the show, I still look forward to more Caskett moments though and other back stories for the other characters and I know Andrew is about to do that. P.S I love Castle No Matter What :)

12. Krithika says:

Why in the world has not a single episode of this series EVER focused on Lanie or Martha…??? Are they so incapable of acting that they are NEVER focused even once..?? Honestly I feel so bad for them…