Modern Family Exclusive: Criminal Minds Vet Paget Brewster to Play [Spoiler]'s New Girlfriend

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

PagetBrewster_smileWhen Benjamin Bratt returns to Modern Family later this season as Manny’s biological father, he won’t be alone.

Ex-Criminal Minds leading lady Paget Brewster has been cast as Javier’s new girlfriend, TVLine has learned exclusively.

PHOTOS | Golden Globes 2013: Best and Worst Moments

Brewster’s character, Trish, possesses upper class sophistication and book smarts. (Cue the fireworks with Javier’s ex, Gloria in 3, 2, 1…)

This is Brewster’s second major TV stint since wrapping her six-year Criminal Minds run last year. In September, she guest-starred on Law & Order: SVU — which, like Modern Family, also airs opposite Criminal Minds — as the head of the District Attorney’s Office’s Public Integrity Unit.

Comments (51)

• Thank you Paget Brewster, for making me excited about Modern Family again!

Comment by Rachel – January 19, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah! I never watched the show, but I guess I found a reason to. Paget Brewster!

Comment by Sourgummycandy – January 21, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Paget in comedy roles, but it’ll interesting to see how her sense of humour meshes with the comedic tone of modern family.

Is it also a little weird that her choice in TV roles keep going up against criminal minds?

Comment by Beth – January 19, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, Beth. It’s possible MF casting department offered her the job and of course she accepted it. It’s Modern Family! Same with SVU, where in fact she was offered the lawyer role and accepted it because she liked that she had many scenes with Mariska. The article was somehere in TV Line.

Comment by King – January 19, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! Love her in comedic roles. Sooooo excited!!

Comment by handtalker – January 20, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I will always be happy to have her back on my TV! :D

Comment by Tiffany – January 19, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Paget :), can’t wait to see her in action. Never watched Modern Family before but I guess now I’ll see what the hype is about.
    Hope she’ll make an appearance on CM some time too…

Comment by Saint Alicia – January 19, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *clink*

Comment by Rob – January 19, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everything is right in the world again.

Comment by Shmoo – January 19, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hahaha! It’s gonna be hilarious when Gloria and Trish clash!

Comment by King – January 19, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!! I’ll watch every episode of Modern Family from now on!! I love Paget!

Comment by Silvinha Vieira – January 19, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She must be, like, trying to get shows that air against Criminal Minds.

Comment by nick1372 – January 19, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a ridiculous thing to say. Obviously she’s more concerned about furthering her career, than taking hits against her former job.

Comment by Brandi – February 20, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was joking, sheesh.

Comment by nick1372 – February 23, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t watch this show, but I will tune in for every episode in which she appears.

Comment by Ashley – January 19, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched MF since the 2nd season, now I have a reason to. Paget + comedy = WIN

Comment by Cass – January 19, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was great in Andy Richter Controls the Universe, so she’s already proven she can do comedy thus will be a good fit for MF.

Comment by quang – January 19, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She also starred in a tv series called “The Trouble with Normal”. It only lasted one season but I thought it was pretty funny and she was really good in it. I think you can see some of the episodes on YouTube.

Comment by Dav – January 19, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched a single episode of Modern Family. I will now! Can’t wait to see Paget back in comedy again.

Comment by Linda – January 19, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is GREAT news! She’s been off my TV for too long!!

Comment by Jack – January 19, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • criminal minds “fans” bitching about why she isnt still on criminal minds in a realtionship with hotch incoming in 3, 2, 1…
    but seriously good to see her back in comedy, i still remember her time on friends as some of the funniest stuff they ever pulled off

Comment by Alan – January 19, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I loved her character on Friends and still think she and Chandler should have ended up together. (sorry Monica fans)

Comment by Erin – January 19, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would rather her on CM but not with Hotch. With Morgan! Paget and Shemar had waaaayyy more chemistry. But since that’s not happening, I will watch her on pretty much anything. The fact that she’s going to be on Modern Family just made my day!

Comment by Jules – January 19, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With that deep, sexy voice and those beautiful eyes….I’d watch her in anything!

Comment by Dav – January 19, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. I first became a fan of hers when I saw her on “Andy Richter Controls the Universe” and it’ll be great to see her doing comedy again.

Comment by Ashley – January 19, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well if you insist… Hotch & Prentiss really should be together. And considering his sometime “girlfriend” is busy terrorizing the White House I don’t see why he can’t just upgrade and have a long distance relationship with Prentiss, y’know?

Comment by Saint Alicia – January 19, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you like Paget in comded you should really check out the Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast. (it’s free on iTunes). She is in a skit called Beyond Belief and it is flat our Hilarious!!

Comment by JJ26 – January 19, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops! That’s suppose to be “comedy” not comded. Not sure what my fingers were thinking

Comment by JJ26 – January 19, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I originally listened to The Thrilling Adventure Hour because Nathan Fillion is sometimes on it, but your right, Paget Brewster is very funny in those skits!

Comment by Calanthe – January 19, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love this podcast too! Their writing is just stellar, I wish we could have some of this quality on TV actually. I started listening to it because of Nathan as well, but they’re all hilarious. My favorites are Beyond Belief and Sparks Nevada.

Comment by feds – January 20, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d go anywhere for Sadie Doyle.

Comment by Josh – January 19, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me too, me too, love her in TAH

Comment by kendall – January 19, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really a fan of Modern Family but I will tune in to see Paget.

Comment by Lilly – January 19, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, Paget Brewster on tv again! And it’s Modern Family, so double yay!

Comment by Calanthe – January 19, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved her and love MF can’t wait to see Paget back in my tv again!!!!!

Comment by kendall – January 19, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this! Maybe next she can guest on Criminal Minds? Just a thought. ;-)

Comment by Jules – January 19, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, after this it’ll be the only Wednesday at 9pm show she HASN’T guest starred on this season!

Comment by Meem – January 19, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ew. I hate this actress. She’s horrible.

Comment by Mark – January 19, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then why are you here?

Comment by Val – January 19, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sadie Doyle on Modern Family….now THAT would be awesome! Still, I’ll take Paget in what ever incarnation just as long as she’s back on TV.

Comment by Jane – January 19, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo Hoo! I’m so excited that Paget is back in comedy even if it is just a guest spot!

Comment by Greg – January 19, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait. just happy to see her on TV again.

Comment by Natalie – January 19, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just happy to have her gorgeous face back on tv.

Comment by greengirl82 – January 19, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy happy happy! I can’t wait. I love Paget.

And to the dude above who said they hate Paget Brewster, why the heck are you on HERE if you don’t like Paget?

Comment by Lola – January 19, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay :) Love Paget! Not a huge Modern Family fan but will definitely be watching

Comment by Jess – January 19, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Good! I really like her and will look forward to seeing her in Modern Family! She was one of my favorites on CM – sorry to see her leave, I will definitely be watching!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by kenya – January 20, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel so much better knowing where paget ends up in the world….CM is Not the same without her and never will be. But ya know what? I want so much to see her succeed and have the chance to cheer her on in a great comedy, which she wants to tackle! God Speed from a HUGE fan!

Comment by tempie – January 22, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post