Ratings: Oprah's Lance Armstrong Interview Draws 3.2 Million Viewers

Get More: Ratings

1 14 2012-ONC-Lance ArmstrongTalk about a performance enhancer.

Lance Armstrong’s admission that he cheated during his professional cycling career won relatively strong numbers for Thursday’s special episode of Oprah’s Next Chapter.

The 9 pm broadcast garnered 3.2 million total viewers — just shy of Oprah Winfrey Network’s top-rated telecast, the Next Chapter episode featuring Whitney Houston’s family, which won 3.5 million sets of eyes.

When the Armstrong interview re-aired at 10:30 pm, an additional 1.1 million viewers tuned in, bringing the episode’s total viewership to 4.3 million for the night.

Part 2 of Oprah’s talk with Armstrong airs Friday at 9/8c on OWN.

Comments (15)

• Too bad the interview didn’t do HIM any favors #arrogant

Comment by Kristen – January 18, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I expected more, but I guess for OWN that is a great rating. I assume that Friday’s part 2 will have a lower rating because the big reveal is done. As a non-cycling fan I found the intereview interesting and thought Oprah did a decent job. Lance certainly didn’t win me over and I agreed with him every time he said “Look, nobody believes me” or “I know I have no credibility.” Those may be the truest words he has every spoken!

Comment by dan – January 18, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “And thought Oprah did a decent job”

A decent job?! What is wrong with you?! She is the best in the business!

Comment by Jared – January 18, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree..this interview did him absolutely nothing to win back any fans he had before this scandal. Why even do an interview in the first place if your gonna come off entitled and arrogant? He would have been better off just cha chaing his way on DWTS.

Comment by Jared – January 18, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a cheater. What a liar. What a jerk.

Comment by iHateCheaters – January 18, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes let’s all hate a cancer surviving philanthropist for cheating.. but continue to love an arrogant brat like Chris Brown after beating a woman’s face in.

Comment by Jooshua – January 18, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WTF? There can be more than one A$$HOLE in circulation. In your post alone, I see Three.

Comment by Alienate – January 18, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they’re both creeps. Certainly glad Lance survived his cancer, but it sounds like he was an arrogant guy who treated people like crap. Certainly not characteristics worth supporting in a person. And no question Chris Brown definitely needs to go away.

Comment by Angela – January 18, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Bag Lady Boutique and commented:
    I wonder how much they had to pay him to boost those ratings.

Comment by bagladyboutique – January 18, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that he’s still getting any press. He shouldn’t be getting any more attention than he has already stolen. He built a reputation, career and wealth on lies and deception.

Comment by Ana – January 18, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lance could’ve used Olivia Pope to prep for this interview. He clearly had no fixer.

Comment by bryceradick – January 18, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Brown has not one thing to connect him with Lance why would anyone even bring his name into this. Not in any way saying Chris is a saint of any kind, don’t his name out of the air for nothing. He was young and let’s just hope that he has learned a lot from his past errors. He is due a 2nd chance just like all of us. I would like to see us all be better people.e

Comment by Greg – January 19, 2013 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lance is no different from the the rest us. If you have never lied to advance your interests, then you may condem Lance. He made millions from his lie I made nothing, we are both liars.

Comment by Tlamelo – January 20, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wasn’t until his discussion of his son defending him that Lance showed any emotion, or that any of the scandal had affected him at all. Up until then, his answers were like he was reading someone else’s script.

Comment by Todd – January 21, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Oprah had more to gain from that interview and the pedistal she put herself on as the moral authority was sickening. What Lance did was not much different than what the majority if cyclists in similar positions did in that era but because he achieved more.. stakes higher.. evidence less covincing… it went to another level. What it makes him is human. How many addicts lie, deny, rationalize, hide, etc. How many hurt the people they love and deny the truth until they hit bottom? If Lance was someone I cared about in my family… I would forgive, not trash him and throw him to the wolves bc he let me down or disappointed me. You choose to idealize someone, they will let you down and if you then demonize them… there is something wrong with you. Lance Armstrong is guilty no question but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater or sit on our fat ass and throw stones like Oprah. She is a hippocrit… tally up your ratings while you elevate yourself as better than Mr Lance Armstrong as if you have the right to cast judgment. Oprah is just as rich and vulnerable and flawed and cant show compassion for someone as strong and competitve and accomplished as Lance Armstrong. I respect Lance and his accomplishments and what he has done and survived more than anything Oprah has done even with his blatant denial, fierce competitiveness, and all the lies he told.

Comment by notimpressed – January 21, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post