Scandal's Olivia/Fitz/Mellie Situation Will Get 'Far More Complicated' -- Plus: Gladiators Assemble!

Scandal Season 2 SpoilersTonight on Scandal (ABC, 10/9c), President Grant — having finally regained consciousness after the assassination attempt — will try to reclaim his commandeered White House. But flashbacks to the campaign trail promise to shake things up as well.

“Everything will be far more complicated after you see [the episode]” Bellamy Young (aka First Lady Mellie) tells TVLine. “There might be some pulled-at heartstrings.”

Young also confirmed that the flashbacks include an überintense elevator scene between Mellie and frenemy Olivia. “There is an elevator scene, indeed…,” she teased.

VIDEOS | Scandal Sneak Peeks: Sally Gets a Surprise, Flashback Olivia Wants to ‘Ignite Fitz’s Base’

Elsewhere in the past, viewers will see gladiators assemble, as Olivia starts rounding up they who will become known as Pope & Associates. “The fans will like it,” says Darby Stanchfield, “because it has these little moments that make you see, ‘Oh, they were so different back then. How they’ve changed!'”

Meanwhile, in the present timeline, Fitz will do his best to assume his place in the Oval Office — a task easier said than done. “You find out how important appearances are in politics,” Young says. “There’s this whole ‘machine’ keeping up the appearance of his ability, because he’s been quite compromised” after being shot in the head. “You see that it takes a village to be a president.”

Especially when the acting POTUS, Sally Langston, is deadset on keeping control. “Sally will definitely be stubborn,” says Jeff Perry, who plays Cyrus. “Her and Hollis are a duo made in Hell.”

RELATED | Scandal: 7 Spoilers on Big Flashbacks, Fitz’s MIA Kids and Shonda Rhimes’ ‘Favorite Scene’

As for she who popped POTUS (and killed his communications director), “Becky will be back” soon, Guillermo Diaz shares. Will the treasonous triggerman earn her own trip to the Pentagon’s subterranean “enhanced interrogation” chamber? “Mayyyybe,” Diaz allows. “I can’t tell you, or [series creator] Shonda [Rhimes] will put me in that basement!”

Want more scoop on Scandal, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Ames says:

No other show I watch does flashbacks nearly as well as Scandal does. This show is so my new favorite show. Every week I hold my breath as the story unspools…then I sit back and want MORE!!

2. tvaddict says:

Perfect example of a show that was good in season 1 and GREAT in season 2 (so far)

3. MGL says:

Love this show and love the flashbacks. No other show has done a Season 2 so well yet.

4. Jared says:

Scandal is one of the BEST series on network television. So happy people are finally giving this show a chance and sticking with it as the episodes play out.

5. Marc1 says:

So, will Fitz beging hating Mellie a little less, probably going as far as developing feelings for her? This would certainly complicate the Olivia and Fitz romance because one thing is always certain, and that Olivia and Fitz are deeply in love, but perhaps if he starts remembering that he once loved his wife, a love triangle just might be created.

• Michael says:

Actually, I think that it’s clear that Fitz loves Mellie. I don’t think that love(or a lack of it) has anything to do with the failure of their marriage.

• Jamie says:

You must not have been married before, lol. It is very common to be out of love with your spouse but stay in it for duty’s sake.

• Marc1 says:

There is no clear indication that Fitz loves Mellie at all. Fans may suspect that he still harbors some type of love for her, aftrerall she is the mother of his children; however, Fitz has shown nothing but contempt for Mellie. Lack of love also played a huge part in the failure of their marraige, by the time Olivia came along, whatever romantic feelings that Fitz once had for his wife was long gone, they or more correctly, he was basically tolerating each other and she REALLY wanted to be the first lady.

6. Michelle says:

Oh Shonda, how you love scenes in elevators!

Excited about watching it tonight!

7. sia says:

Love how much love TVline is giving Scandal! Don’t ever stop!

8. sladewilson says:

I don’t believe Fitz ever stopped loving Mellie, he just fell out of love with her. HUGE difference. He loves Mellie but he’s IN LOVE with Olivia. And in being the “leader of the free world”, that poses a serious problem…

• Lulu says:

Have you seen the way he treats her? That’s not the way someone who loves someone treats that person.

• Dawn says:

Fitz does treat Mellie with contempt but have you seen the things she’s done? She’s quite full of herself and has been treacherous in her actions. Doesn’t exactly bring on the loving feelings. I think he loves the memory of their past relationship more than he does what it’s become. He wants to be with Olivia but because he the POTUS, he’s pretty much stuck. Liv won’t let him quit, Mellie would have his hide and he just tries to keep doing his job but is miserable. I don’t condone adultery, but sometimes love is inconvenient.

9. Amy says:

I loooove this show, but….. I can’t stand all the camera clicking sounds throughout the episodes. That would be the only thing I would change.

10. Nechelle says:

I love all of Scandal’s flashback episodes, but I hope they don’t start over doing it with the flashbacks, b’c if I’m not mistaken I think there is going to be one more flashback episode before this season is over, but I could be wrong. Also is Olivia ever going to find out Cyrus had Amanda Tanner killed or is the Amanda storyline over and done with for good?

11. bmarie3668 says:

I love Scandal. Olivia&Fitz have a chemistry throughout S1-Present Day.@kerrywashington@shondarhimes@scandalcrew are the best. Scandal is the best!

12. Chari says:

I love the show but i hate flash backs ,in anything no matter how good the show is !!!

13. Martha Mitovich Leiss says:

My new favorite show! I’ll be inquiring along the way!! Oh..and I want Olivia’s wardrobe!

14. Tip says:

It’s been a while since i’ve liked a network television show, but i have 1 now! This show is great. And the title is so fitting! I love ALL of the actors and i certainly like Fitz and Liv’s chemistry. How Liv plays “hard to get” is so cute, but we all know how she really feels. Can’t wait to see how all this unfolds with Huck. He’s going to kill his “girlfriend”!