American Idol: 14 Diva Moments From the Season 12 Premiere -- Starring Nicki & Mariah!

I can’t lie: My inner feminist clenches her fists with rage every time Hollywood perpetuates the idea that two or more powerful women can’t peacefully and professionally collaborate on a project.

That said, my inner feminist isn’t foolish enough to believe that the antics of borderline cartoon characters Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj on American Idol will in any way harm or advance the plight of womankind in America. Therefore, the Gloria Steinem in my heart has given me the go-ahead to put together a gallery of the 14 most ridiculous diva moments from the show’s Season 12 premiere on Wednesday night.

So click through the gallery below for a rundown of faux British accents, aggressive side-eyes, tart putdowns and words that end with “itch.” And for all my Idol news, recaps, galleries and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Andrew says:

cancel this already

2. Radha says:

This sounds appalling. I’m glad I don’t watch anymore. If the producers are just gonna hype up their bickering….I just don’t know.

3. broncfanwa says:

no winner, but all those who watched were certainly the losers. why can’t these two quote-end quote stars act at least like human beings, if not adults?

4. Mindy says:

Please don’t encourage them.

5. Erin says:

I don’t watch this and never will, but I feel bad for Keith Urban.

6. Amanda says:

Didn’t watch but after reading the slideshow…I’m pretty sure id be on Team Nicki. Meh. Mariah is just too into herself.

7. Jason says:

Disagree with everyone. I loved it! Compared to the bore-fest that is the cheerleading on the Voice and the lameness of Britney and LA on XFactor. I loved people acting how they actually are. No prepared speehes(Britney). No long winded compliments(Levine and Cee-lo). Let the bitch fest continue. Idol got the lunatic MAriah which Simon was hoping for when he got the medicated Britney-bot!! Can’t wait for the live shows!!! MAybe too early to call but looks like Idol is back. Now if only some of those people could sing!!

• Rhiannon says:

Wait for the live shows… then you’ll get your non-critical lame cheerleading from Keith & Mariah, and your scripted over-the-top-ness from Nicki and Randy.

8. Alienate says:

the bitch fest was fine. the lack of any standout singer in a 2 hour show was the biggest bummer.

9. Bring on the Idol says:

All I know is Ryan is going to have his work cut out for him as ringleader of this 3-ring circus when we go live in a few weeks. I have now watched 4 hours of the season so far, and I have yet to see (yet again, for another season) why we need Randy to stick around and clutter up the panel. can we just kick him out and give his screen time to Keith. . .or the contestants (goodness knows some of them will need it). Anyway, welcome back Idol.

10. Matt says:

I say Mariah wins just for not stooping to Nicki’s level most of the time. A lot of what I saw was Nicki just instigating, and let’s be real, there’s a lot to make fun of in Nicki. From her clown make-up to her insane over use of auto-tune, but Mariah seemed to refrain. Nicki was acting like a little child desperately seeking attention constantly. Every time someone paid Mariah a compliment or said they were a fan, Nicki looked like her blood was boiling. If Nicki can’t handle the attention Mariah gets then maybe she shouldn’t have agreed to judge a singing competition along side her. And I’m no huge fan of either, just calling it as I see it. I can admire talent and respect it. Like Mariah or not, she’s a very talented woman.

11. Carrie says:

This is so silly. I thought Mariah was pretty hilarious, but Nicki was downright annoying. She seemed to have it in for Mariah and acted like a total brat. I don’t know if the producers put her up to it, but I commend Mariah for not acting more like something that begins with a b and ends with an itch. I would’ve had the strong urge to backhand that girl. Who does she think she is?

12. rachelle says:

Mariah is classy and so far above any “talent” that Nicki thinks she has. Mariah is pretty much musical royalty, sweetheart! Nicki is tacky, she’s immature as hell, and she is not qualified to be on Idol. This show has turned into a farce that doesn’t need to be on television anymore.

13. KevyB says:

Mariah may have been something back in the day, but she’s done little but act like a stuck-up B ever since. Honestly, she asks a fan if she can keep her pictures? She clearly thinks her doodoo don’t stink and Nicki clearly likes calling her on it. Problem is, she’s doing it in an atrociously immature way. A few of her digs were entertaining, but a little of that goes a long way. And Mariah is exactly as non-entertaining as I expected her to be. Ugh all around.

14. malexa says:

I love Mariah and yes she is a diva. In all honesty she started the bitch fest, but NIcky took it further. It should be entertaining season – a mash between AI and the cattiness of the real housewives of BH.

15. Mikael says:

Mariah needs to get over herself. She got lucky with Emancipation of Mimi. Everything since then has been garbage.

16. GeeMs says:

This is not American Idol any more. It’s the Nicki Minaj show. Thought it couldn’t get any worse than what has been, but I was really wrong. Go back to 3 judges.

17. Zorro says:

That ridiculous fake clown Nicki Minaj is making it very difficult for me to watch the show this year.

18. Sick of the "Feud" says:

Michael you are amazing, but I honestly can’t take a whole season of the “feud”. Have Americans EVER heard of the word banter??? Because I’m sitting here completely baffled that people are making such a big deal out of this.

Nevermind, that these past two episodes were filmed before the actual fight.

There were maybe a handful of instances where they were both legit annoyed but, for the most part, it didn’t register for me AT ALL.

UGH I just want this chatter to die. It’s just BANTER people. This is child’s play compared to the things my Northerner friends from England say.

19. SallyinChicago says:

^^ Yes, for the moment is very entertaining. I can see a TV comedy show coming out of this.

20. Sigh says:

Honestly, it’s just the way most women are. Catty. Just take a look at most of the comments on this thread, hate-filled comments brought on by jealousy which zero of the commentors will ever admit to. However, with regards to Mariah and Nicki I very much enjoyed it. I thought it was quite funny actually, hope it continues that way – it isn’t over the top and fake, it’s normal banter and real.