American Horror Story Scoop: Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson to Return for Season 3
Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson will check back into American Horror Story for Season 3.
Peters and Paulson, who both appeared in the original run and the current Asylum incarnation, join returning cast member Jessica Lange, who will also play a new character in the next season.
Executive producer Ryan Murphy announced the news at a press Q&A, adding that some other faces from the first year will return. Additionally, just as Season 2 had Bloody Face, Season 3 will have “a great icon — and it’s a woman,” he teased.
As for the setting of the next installment, Murphy said on Twitter that last night’s penultimate episode contained three clues. (TVLine’s best guess: The show is fixin’ to serve up some Southern-fried chills and thrills.)
Other Season 3 teases from Murphy:
- The storyline will consist of “something funnier” because he missed what Jessica Lange’s Constance brought to Season 1.
- Lange is returning partly because Murphy promised her “hair and makeup and the best designer gowns ever” after she had to be so dressed down this season. Her character is described as “a glamour cat leading lady.”
- Season 3 will be “more historical in nature” and have a “different tone” than Season 2. But, says Murphy, “That’s the joy of the show.” It will also take place in modern day, but just like past seasons, we will see different “time periods” and “there [will] also be different cities.”
- In addition to AHS vets Lange, Paulson and Peters, “We want to have some new people come in and some [Season 1] people come back.” As for the new people, Murphy says he is looking to cast “actors Jessica wanted to work with.”
- Peters will “probably go back to playing a sobbing psychopath.”
- Regarding Paulson, “I know who [she's] playing,” Murphy stated, before adding with a laugh, “She does not.”
Asylum ends its run on Jan. 23; the new 13-episode season will begin production this summer and bow in Fall 2013. (Reporting by Meg Masters)Follow @VladaGelman