Scandal Sneak Peeks: Sally Gets a Surprise, Flashback Olivia Wants to Ignite Fitz's Base

Get More: Video

This Thursday on ABC’s Scandal, Sally Langston — as we all knew — isn’t giving up the Oval Office without a fight, while new flashbacks to The Campaign Trail That Was serve up a sizzling strategy session and introduce us to Fitz’s father.

RELATED | Scandal Exclusive: Scott Foley Lands Major Season 2 Arc

In the first clip below, acting POTUS Sally Langston sets in motion her latest power grab, only to see it interrupted in the most awesome of ways.

Loading video...

Then, in these two flashback previews, Olivia and Fitz heat up the campaign trail in grand style, while Fitz’s father (guest star Barry Bostwick) offers a pointer on how to handle a hot debate topic.

Loading video...

Loading video...

Want more scoop on Scandal, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Tags: ,

Comments (31)

• love me some POPUS (that’s for you Matt Mitovich) i know how much you ‘re trying to get that nickname to stick, lol)

Comment by sia – January 16, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh Wow… Amazing! To quote the great Bob Marley, “I don’t want to wait in vain for your love.” All Fitz needed was a touch from his love and he is made whole.

Comment by Dawn – January 16, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What does POPUS actually stand for?

Comment by Rachel – January 16, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s actually “POTUS” and “FLOTUS”

President Of The United States
        First Lady Of The United States

First I heard of it was the media use it to reference President Obabma

Comment by Crabapple Ct – January 16, 2013 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Olivia Pope + President of the United States (potus) = POPUS

Comment by amy – January 17, 2013 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, love, love this show…this and Covert Affairs have to be my favorites of all time.

Comment by CarolH – January 16, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buggy. Can u update your video clips for iPads

Comment by Katie – January 16, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second this.

Comment by Kellie – January 16, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Third…
        I used to be able to watch the videos on TVLine but not anymore.

Comment by T – January 16, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boy I can not wait until tomorrow night. I am so addicted to this show, can’t stand it. I joined twitter for because of this show and actually use my facebook page to talk about this show. I hated both by the way. Loved the look on the VP’s face when the President walked in. PRICELESS.

Comment by EMW – January 16, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot get enough of Olivia & Fitz!!! Thanks for the clip.

Comment by Lorie – January 16, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barry Bostwick as Fitz father is great for the show … that clip about the penny and IRS was priceless !

Comment by V.c. Rucker – January 16, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, the previews were just what i needed to carry me over until tomorrow night. I love the look on POTUS at the end of the first preview, where he looked indifferent, can’t want to see how that all plays out. I love to hate the VP. I’m an Olitz fan but his taking her into the room to “blow off steam” after an arguement with his wife, not sure how i feel about that yet, I love them, but the clip really reminded me exactly what their relationship is, regardless of their feelings. We will see tomorrow night though.

Comment by Aresha – January 16, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aresha, I think I feel the same way. I’m holding judgment back until tomorrow night; but that scene seemed sleasy, and cheap, and put Liv in a not so favorable light for allowing that to happen like that. Cheapened their love to me.

Comment by Deena Braun – January 16, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You guys have to remember…everything between Fitz and Olivia was on the edge of sleezy. Fitz and Mellie were NEVER a loving couple, which made it easy for him to fall for Liv. I didn’t find the scene sleezy nor did it cheapen their feelings for each other, that was the beginning of the relationship…the REAL feelings didn’t come until later. I think he fell for her HARD from the start, she on the other hand, took a while.

Comment by XiaCheyene – January 16, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Spot on Xia.

Comment by Gotta Have 'Em All – January 16, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, I think a lot of viewers forget that the first scandal Liv helped “fix” on the campaign trail was the news breaking of Mellie’s affair. Also, Mellie gave Liv the what for “for breaking Fitz’s heart” at the end of last season. So, let’s not pretend that Mellie is the long suffering wife. Actually, I think the long suffering person in this scenario is Fitz. Fitz would give it all up except for the manipulations of those around him. The very people who refuse to let him give up his Presidency are the ones who rigged the election. Fitz would have been fine losing fair and square. That’s what’s really sleazy. The rigging of the election. Also, don’t forget what he says to Liv in that great scene on the bus. “Why didn’t I have the courage to wait for you.” So, I don’t feel bad that I love Fitz and Olivia together. I feel bad that this man has so many ambitions attached to the office he holds.

Comment by Carrie – January 16, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I love how you explained that Carrie. You are correct on all points and I have to remind myself, that the flashbacks are being shown out of sequence and the clip is from the beginning of their relationship, where his marriage to Mellie was pretty much in name only. This show is driving me crazy (but in a good way) I love to see 10:01 pm come and with each ending I begin the countdown until the following Thursday. Love being able to watch such a wonderfully written show. So not a fan of reality shows. Until Thursday night…

Comment by Erica – January 16, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think what we are seeing is that Fitz is perfectly normal. He is frustrated with the campaign ( “I can do this by myself!”), the possible arrival of his over-bearing father, and his wife, who always pushes and pushes, in the worst possible way. He needs Olivia and she responds perfectly. She allows him to “vent” but she holds him away–slightly, she holds his hands until he can hear her and calm down. By the time that Fitz agrees that he needs help, his entire demeanor has changed. Nothing but desire left.

Their’s is a grown-up relationship–not at all perfect, but they “get” each other.

Comment by mrenee – January 16, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow I have to say that I agree with Mrenee…great insight

Comment by OltizFF – January 17, 2013 04:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh you tease me!! I love the flashbacks but would have loved an I love you from Olitz in the hospital better!!! I shall wait and I do love poppa, something tells me he will stomp on anyone who messes with his son. Ugh I love this show so much!!! Thanks

Comment by Theresa Thomas – January 16, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Big Jerry; he is hilarious. This show is going to play a rock song on our emotions. Just another typical Shonda Rhimes masterpiece. Loved it!

Comment by Poochy42 – January 16, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Big Jerry is hilarious and I could not stop laughing at little Jerry… I mean Fitzgerald Grant the III mimic his father’s words. It was funny and cute all at the same time. This is a great show!

Comment by Dawn – January 16, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pops is mad cool. What’s funny to me is that now I really believe that Mellie knew even then esp. with that line, “You (Olivia) talk to him – he listens to you.” Sad thing is that Mellie was absolutely right – about everything…

Comment by sladewilson – January 16, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have watched this over and over again, damn it, I can’t help it, I live for this show tbh, my roomies think I’m crazy but they can never understand cuz all they do is watch boring a** shows for kids that ain’t thrilling and most of all doesn’t have OLITZ in it…. Can’t wait to finish my exams so I can focus more on my all time favorite show…

Comment by Mim – January 16, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Olivia and Fitz are wild! What does make this show so addictive? I think its because it relates to us common folks I don’t know but I like the rest of you can’t wait for the next show once this is over. Also, I agree that Mellie is far from long suffering — she will do whatever it takes to make it to the WH.

Comment by Yvonne Sherrill – January 16, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget 50 shades of grey this is 50 shads of Fitz! :-)

Comment by Yvonne Sherrill – January 16, 2013 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love all your comments. To me the fans are a major part of why I like the show. Thanks

Comment by Wild about scandal – January 17, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only 20 minutes Fitz seriously….

Comment by keepmeupnights – January 17, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is “simply for fans, who are in love . . . with the most wonderful writing team on a tv series in ages!” Ofcourse the cast is amazing. Not a single poor choice Olivia and Fitz have phenomenal chemistry, but Mellie’s character brings so much complexity to her role that it keeps the audience fixated on tyring to peel back the layers of who these characters really are. For this, I takes my hats off to ALL the actors on this series. This is work of which they should all be proud.

BTW: The people on this site are sooooo sweet. I love reading your comments and wish you all love and MORE SCANDAL!!!

Comment by HeddaHooper – January 27, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh! Re-read my post . . . hate to mispell words, but I was very tired (too many Scandal rewinds :0)

Comment by HeddaHooper – January 27, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post