Syfy's Alphas Cancelled After Two Seasons

Get More: Cancellations, News

Alphas Cancelled by SyfyIt looks like the Alphas won’t be waking from their Grand Central Station slumber.

Syfy has opted not to renew the series, which aired its Season 2 finale in October.

RELATED | Syfy Renews Haven for Season 4

“Unfortunately #Alphas is cancelled,” cast member Ryan Cartwright shared via Twitter on Wednesday.

Warren Christie and Azita Ghanizada confirmed the sad news, with the latter adding: “What an honor to get to play Rachel for 2 years & to work w/ & for the MOST AMAZING PEOPLE EVER.”

“Thanks for tuning in the last couple of years!” Christie told fans.

RELATED | Smallville‘s Laura Vandervoort Raises Hell in Haven Season Finale

A statement issued by the cabler reads: “Syfy has decided not to renew Alphas for a third season. We’ve been proud to present this entertaining, high-quality series for two seasons and to work with an incredible ensemble of talented actors, producers and creatives as well as our partners at BermanBraun Television. We’d like to thank the show’s dedicated regular viewers for their tremendous support.”

RELATED | Syfy Sets Premiere Date for New Defiance Drama

Revolving around a team of ordinary people with superhuman physical and mental abilities, Alphas also starred David Strathairn (as their team leader Dr. Rosen), Laura Mennell, Malik Yoba and Erin Way.

Tags: ,

Comments (140)

• I am sad. I have been sitting around waiting for season 3, now it is jut cancelled it was so good.

Comment by Cindy – March 4, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Y must they cancel the great fun shows n keep the stupid so called reality crap!

Comment by Rith – March 17, 2013 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alphas will be miSsed!!.. I really loved season 1.. Season 2 wil only begin next week in south-Africa. And now I find out that the show is canceled |:<.. I don't even wane watch season 2 now.. It was the only show me and my mom could watch and bould a bond with…

Thanx for ruening my family syfy

Comment by Christopher – March 16, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alphas is a great show and better than the reality crap! I was excitedly waiting for the show to return and found out it was cancelled. Who is making these idiotic decisions to cancel shows worth watching while leaving on the most boring shows!

Comment by Rith – March 17, 2013 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, As has been said first Eureka then Alphas. You know the people that make these decisions need to grow a pair and allow a show to find it audience. At first I was not certain about watching Alphas as it seemed like a Poor Mans Heroes. I was wrong andit just kept getting better. I have watched SyFy before since the begining and have shared some great programs with my kids ( now also dissapointed fans) They also did away with SG Universe just when it was really hitting it’s stride. Anyway I have to rethink the next time I make a choice of Cable providers and fill out lengthy questionnaires regarding my likes and dislikes on the various networks. Oh and not to leave out do not mess with Warehouse or Haven.
    And really Wrestling !!!! I hope you can give Defiance a real shot.

Comment by Alan Gastrock – March 17, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry I forgot to mention that Lost Girl at first seemed like a bad idea. As it stands I watch it so let’s see the how long it takes them to mess it up and then cancel it. And why did they get rid of Sanctuary ? At least there was enough for a spin off.

Comment by Alan Gastrock – March 17, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember when sci-fi was full of twilight zone and other great unexplainable science fiction type shows. Now its becoming like the rest of these trash tv channels, thats full of reality t.v. most movies are garbage on syfy horrible graphics and terrible acting, and now a person finds something worth watching like alphas and it gets canceled? What to feel its slot with some crappy production or some two part movie with bad cg fx? I just dont know anymore. Syfy your loosing a fan

Comment by Old sci-fi fan – March 24, 2013 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ALPHAS was a good show. So, SyFy seriously partakes the growing list of channels producing shows that revolve around producers masturbating their personality disorders with reality TV series. How quaint.

Comment by David – April 1, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate you, Syfy! I am not going to watch any more Syfy shows. I am tired of being left hanging!

Comment by Amy – April 11, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here is an idea.. For each of you who left a post on here about Alpha’s get a petition have everyone in your home town sign it hell even put it on fb if need be get around a million signatures each then send it into a major network like NBC ABC etc with enough voices heard they could be persuaded to pick up the show

Comment by Damien – April 15, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I, too, am truly devastated! I have been waiting patiently through all of the SH*T shows SyFy has been playing through the winter. A few minor exceptions have been keeping me entertained like Being Human and Continuum. There IS too much reality crap…WTF is wrestling on your network? Seriously? Now, the summer is shot. Hell, if the fans start a fund, let me know, I’ll throw, $100.00 to help make the series finale movie, even if you POS don’t feel you need closure, the fans who supported you for two seasons sure as hell deserve it!

Comment by Aimee – April 22, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved this show. The only syfy shows I liked was alphas, being human & warehouse 13….they better not cx being human! I Love aidan!

Comment by imani – April 25, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • syfy bring back this show for sheldon plz

Comment by bring back alpha for sheldon cooper – April 25, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel that if they’re going cancel it that they should tell us what would have happened next

Comment by NaTasha – April 25, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to say this, but I kind of have to blame Summer Glau for this. That woman is cursed. If she’s in it, it’s gonna end before it’s time. For example: Firefly, The 4400, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dollhouse, and now Alphas too. Come on TV people, if you need a pretty girl to play a nut-job, I’m sure you can find one who won’t curse your show.

Comment by Bradley Fortner – April 25, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great job who’s ever idea it was! Sheldon and Myself now are both pissed. why do you cancel the great shows!

Comment by X-man – April 28, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what they r good for like ghost mine got 2 seasons of it and they canceled it

Comment by Lesley Stanford – January 10, 2014 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why do they keep cancelling good shows?? I can’t imagine watching another season of ghost stories that show lights as “spirits” running around. Bring alphas back!

Comment by John – May 2, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ScyFy-you are garbage. So sad you decided to do away with a quality show. Please don’t be like our U.S. Congress-listen to your people and keep “Alphas” going.

Comment by Red – May 5, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg! Alphas is like my favorite show in the world. I got like everyone I know to start watching it. And I was counting down the days until I could find out what happened to all those amazing characters. That is a terrible way to just cancel a show. And a very very good one such as alphas! No more Gary::/

Comment by Ashlee Princevalli – May 11, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Augh come on SyFy bring back the show I had just told my family about it and then you go and cancelled it! >_< if you wanna take something off take off wrestling that has nothing to do with sci fi! Now the only thing I watch in SyFy is been human … any other show I just change the channel!

Comment by Nely – May 26, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My son and I just discovered this TV gem on Netflix and absolutely loved it! I just checked about the next new season, only to find it was cancelled. How sad! This was an extremely well-acted show w/awesome characters/actors. It’s a shame a network has to cancel TV shows that play to more than just the 6th grade educated viewers. This was quality work that was not ‘dumbed-down’ and 100% better than any of the movies SyFy airs! I may have to delete this channel.

Comment by Janet Lippis – June 10, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A lot of people are disappointed, well, fans are. They could’ve at least had a better ending! Everyone is dead? Or what? Season 3 could’ve been the last season. If they wanted it to be. I don’t like the ending. Very stupid to leave an audience like that. I am disappointed.

Comment by Angry Viewer – June 15, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved this show. I will never understand TV executives that make such horrible decisions. Firefly (I know it wasn’t SyFy, but still a horrible decisions by the powers that be) … Eurika… Alphas… I just don’t get their thought processes. They take a great show that works, and either change it for the worse or cancel it. Why not leave the formula alone. Good show, fans like it, each episode moves it forward in story and in viewership… leave it be. You may all be old white rich men, but that doesn’t mean you know good sci-fi. I’ll definitely be avoiding SyFy from now on. Another bad decision, another lost viewer…

Comment by Pebbles – June 24, 2013 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely loved Alphas! I really never watched sy fy until I seen the 2nd season of alphas then I watched it all the time. Guess its time to abandon sy fy once again!

Comment by Josh – June 30, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is some bs ! Syfy is a pos

Comment by Jack – July 23, 2013 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please please put alphas back on it has been my favorite show

Comment by Kaylee tweedie – August 8, 2013 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cancelling Alphas makes me not want to watch SyFy shows anymore. They get you interested, then cancel the show. What’s the point of even watching in the first place? Same thing with Dresden Files. No more SyFy channel for me!

Comment by Jeff – August 9, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disappointed with syfy. Why was Alphas cancelled? It was such a good tv show. I looked forward to watching it when it came on. Why is it that all the good ones cancelled and all the blood guts and gore,or the stupid ones r left on? This was so different from the rest of the shows. Love Gary, Rosen. Why is it that u always leave us hanging with the cliff hangers. I am really sick of that, irritates me to no end!

Comment by Teri – August 15, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you don’t want to continue Alphas, sell it to Netflix!! Let them make it an original series, please. There is sooooo much crap on TV *cough, reality tv* it was wonderful to see a show like Alphas (and Eureka!!!). Oh, would you PLEASE give Netflix the next season on Warehouse 13, please, please, please!!!

Comment by Kim Doering – August 18, 2013 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just when I began to think they finally made a series that kept me interested they canceled it, big mistake i loved ALPHAS my only hope is one day they bring it back. =(

Comment by Ben Chapman – September 5, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with majority at end of day u just don’t want to get attatched or they make me shows to look like they’re going to me hardcore battle with always about alien or the invader or futuristic whatever !!! but within 3 weeks it changes to the story of the people and then relationships then it becomes neighbours with a little sci fi they are always say when there is a wedding in a show or a baby be ratings are bad but scifi just cut it off with no warning bloody cut it out !!!

Comment by Adam – September 5, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • true that

Comment by kay steed – September 23, 2013 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am disapointed that again a good show ,got canceld .I liked Alphas very much..

Comment by noack – September 10, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sheesh… really loved alphas… pffft!

Comment by mits – September 13, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really, really sux! Was looking foward to the next season… i’m frakken mad!!!

Comment by tess – September 13, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That freaking sucks I watched this on netflix and I loved it. And now its cancelled.

Comment by Kin – September 15, 2013 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only got cable for the Sci-fi channel. When they changed the name, I didn’t like it, but I thought, ‘It’s only a name, right?’
    Wrong!
    They did something horrible to the network. These people who took over know nothing about sci-fi. After they canceled Alphas, that was the last show they are going to rip out from under me. I canceled cable and I’m going to stick with Netflix from now on. At least then I’ll know where the show is going and the comments will tell me if the show was left hanging before it starts.
    Boo on you SyFi!

Comment by Kat – September 28, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just finished watching the last episode on Netflix And “Alphas” was an amazing show, its a bummer that they stopped making new episodes :/

Comment by Miguel – October 31, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is truly distressing, this is one of the few well-thought out programs you have run in a long time. “Alpha’s” had a great cast, good programming and a strong series timeline, why would you stop on that note.

Comment by pat easter – November 4, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i actually found alphas via netflix and fell in love with it right away and was so so so sad to read i only have the rest of season two to enjoy :/ i dont know what im going to do without Gary in my life anymore!!! :’(

Comment by Jessica Lynn – February 13, 2014 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • should at least make a two hr movie to ties things up and say good by I am not going to watch any more of syfy because of this very thing!

Comment by Michelle Lilly – February 16, 2014 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post