Scandal Exclusive: Scott Foley Lands Major Arc

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Scandal Scott FoleyScott Foley has booked a return trip to Shondaland.

The former Grey’s Anatomy actor is joining the cast of Shonda Rhimes’ latest ABC hit Scandal, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | 7 Scandal Spoilers Including Scoop on Big Flashbacks, Fitz’s MIA Kids and Shonda Rhimes ‘Favorite Scene Ever’

Details on Foley’s role are being kept under the tightest of wraps, but sources confirm that he’s on board for a major arc to air towards the end of the show’s current second season.

Shortly after Foley wrapped his two-season recurring stint on Grey’s in late 2011, Rhimes raved to TVLine, “We’re so in love with Scott Foley. And we would’ve kept him [on Grey's] if we could.”

Foley’s Scandal gig comes two months after Fox prematurely halted production on his planned-midseason comedy Goodwin Games. Network president Kevin Reilly said last week that the show’s seven produced episodes could air this summer.

Comments (51)

• FOX really screwed up this year. Not one new show hit and the scheduling department is doing nothing to attract viewers to the network. Why even bother airing Goodwin Games over the Summer?..just take the 7 episodes produced as a loss so Scott can recur on season 3 of Scandal.

Comment by Jared – January 15, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh sweet lord, he’s just gonna get killed off and break our hearts all over again :’(

Comment by Lu Amado (@luamado84) – January 15, 2013 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah !

Comment by Sandy – January 15, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is awesome news! been a fan ever since the unit. Can’t wait to see what his role will be!

Comment by Stephen Lisenko – January 15, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’ve been a fan since felicity!

Comment by baglesvswaffles – January 15, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • after watching tonights episode….i am in hopes that shee plays it right and makes the scott and olivia connection HOTT!! i hope she makes FITZ feel the pain! i am so ticked at him and how he hurt olivia!! she has got to make him feel the pain that he made us feel for her tonight!! it was awesome!! amazing writing! i cried!!!

Comment by keykey – February 7, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just saw Scandal On Demand and I am truly pissed at Fitz!!! Scott Foley is a hot number too. Olivia’s ex-fiancee is also fine, but too nice and Olivia needs a man with “fire in his veins.” Fitz is going to go crazy if Olivia starts seeing someone else and good on him!!!

Comment by Vicki – February 8, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Scandal and love Scott so I am very happy!

Comment by Diana – January 15, 2013 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A whole new opportunity for Scott Foley to NOT get the girl.

Comment by Deion – January 15, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing. I bet he’s going to be a “love interest” for Olivia, and anyone who isn’t the president probably won’t be along too long.

Comment by anon – January 15, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • maybe he’ll be a love interest for abby or quinn!

Comment by baglesvswaffles – January 15, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ugh.. I’m not really crazy about Abby or Quinn, so I’d rather not see him as a love interest for either of them, but I agree with Anon, if he’s a love interest for Olivia the writing is already in the wall.

Comment by Christine – January 15, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree he will be the love interest of Olivia. Giving the potus a run for his money. He really going to have to decided what he really wants. Liv won’t stay available forever. Fitz, she can’t stay your mistress forever neither. Yes, he finally related her into that category.

Comment by Crabapple Ct – January 16, 2013 10:42 PM PDT
          • what do you mean the writing is already in the wall? he shouldn’t be a love interest for any of them tbh, he should just be a new character in the show that just strictly serves the storyline. maybe an old friend of liv’s from college or something. nobody would ship liv/scott foley, even if it’s scott foley lol bc everyone ships olitz

Comment by baglesvswaffles – January 23, 2013 08:37 PM PDT

Comment by baglesvswaffles – January 23, 2013 08:39 PM PDT
    • Scott Foley’s Bob got a girl in The Unit, and Bob and Kim were together for the entire series. Love Scott Foley! Way to go,Scandal.

Comment by Andrea – January 15, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *for Scott Foley to die.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – January 15, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang it! Now I’m going to have to watch scandal…If shonda kills him off again as if its the “only option,” I’m gonna lose it!

Comment by Jane – January 15, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should have been watching Scandal all along. It’s frickin’ amazing!

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – January 15, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS!!

Comment by MandaJ – January 15, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • DITTO. Shonda’s best show by far. I really only watch Grey’s now because I feel like I have to finish it out. Scandal is the one I can’t wait to see each week!

Comment by Lauren – January 15, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly! I watch Grey’s as a sense of loyalty, but it’s Scandal & POI that bring me to watch TV every Thursday night

Comment by Sara – January 15, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Boy, do I agree with you – on both counts!

Comment by Diane – January 15, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed!! I gave up on Private Practice and Grey’s a while ago, but Scandal just keeps getting better and better.

Comment by Christine – January 15, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ll have Private Practice over Grey’s, and let alone Scandal, anytime.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – January 15, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, you won’t… because Private Practice and its lameness were cancelled! X)

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – January 29, 2013 01:36 PM PDT
  • I JUST WANT KIM RAVER BACK

Comment by bryceradick – January 15, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word! Grey’s killed off two of my favorites: Kim Raver and Mark Sloane. And Kim’s story was far from done I feel. They should’ve both survived and Kim could’ve been such a help in helping Mark deal with losing Lexie. Which, was totally NOT been dealt with in the show. Annoyed,

Comment by Lilly – January 15, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Umm, they didn’t kill off Teddy. She got fired and left. Not killed.

Lexie was the hardest loss for me. Man, I loved that character! And at least neither Teddy nor Sloane got disrespected after the fact — Shonda wrote in that WILD ANIMALS WERE CHEWING ON LEXIE’S BODY.

Screw that jank.

And yet, I still watch. And it’s actually still okay this season. Just okay. But I love Arizona, Callie, Meredith, and Alex too much to quit watching. X)

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – January 29, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL! Shonda had my darling, adorable George (who’s now on Good Wife–woo-hoo!) dragged by his face –that’s right, I said D-R-A-G-G-E-D by his FACE by a bus! So, cry me a river; Lexie got a few nibbles on her. Boo-hoo! LOL!

So gross. Do not get on S.R.’s bad side — dude… dude…

Comment by i still miss george you evil woman!!! – January 29, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I still miss george!! I think we all miss george!!!

Comment by kem – February 7, 2013 10:09 PM PDT
  • Awww poor Noel won’t get Felicity, Henry won’t live and what Scott Foley is gonna get shot by the Secret Service or something??

Comment by Anita – January 15, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was fantastic in grey’s, very excited about this

Comment by Juan – January 15, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST NEWS EVER!

Comment by KND – January 15, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Scott Foley. Ever since Felicity I have been such a fun. Scandal has become one of my favorite shows so this news makes me so happy!!! Maybe a love interest for Quinn??

Comment by Melissa – January 15, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Scott Foley.

Comment by Laura – January 15, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope he plays a baddie! Scott the good guy is too predictable. Maybe Abby’s psycho ex?

Comment by Anasazi – January 15, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That sounds nice. He was an excellent makes-me-want-to-slap-him-baddie in that old TV movie with him as a rapist

Comment by Sara – January 15, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He does have the chops (True Blood, Scream 3)…

Comment by Marco – January 16, 2013 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scott Foley!! Ugh she better not kill him off. Cannot go through that again. One of the saddest TV deaths ever. :(

Comment by A – January 15, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He could play Fitz’ brother, but if they’re keeping it a secret, it’s probably more important than that…doesn’t matter, i don’t care who he plays, love love love him!

Comment by Crystal – January 15, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Quinn’s old boyfriend isn’t really dead….

Comment by Joanna Jurgens – January 18, 2013 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Only if he is Katie’s real life husband. ..that’s who will play Quinn’s boyfriend in flashbacks. Boyfriend is really dead tho.

Comment by MeK – January 20, 2013 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adding Scott to the mix is AMAZING his chemistry with Kerry Washington is off the charts already! the POTUS can twist and turn in the wind for treating Liv that way! This past eposide 2/20 I have watch three times! I’m in love Scandal! the whole cast Poor HUCK! Can’t wait each week! I hope Scott sticks around!

Comment by Keri B – February 23, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scott Foley’s Jake increased my love of Scandal by 1000% and this from someone who was already a Scandal addict. I loved all the Jake/Liv scenes and the Jake/Fitz scnes. I think the Jake and Olivia bring back old timey romantic sexy sizzle. Shonda, please don’t Scott Foley away from us. Show us some love.

Comment by JO – February 24, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • should read “Shonda, please don’t take Scott Foley away from us.”

Comment by JO – February 24, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post