Exclusive

Exclusive Grey's Anatomy First Look: Meredith and Derek's Pillow Talk Leads to a Huge Payoff

Grey's Anatomy Season 9 SpoilersA “big day” for MerDer gets off to a cozy, cuddly start this Thursday on Grey’s Anatomy – and from there, things take an eye-opening, jaw-dropping turn.

As seen in this exclusive first-look clip from this week’s episode (ABC, 9/8c), Meredith and Derek (played by Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey) have vastly different things on the brain as they wake up. Once Mer reveals what she’s thinking about, the action cuts away to drop a bombshell that changes not only the marrieds’ world but several others.

RELATED | Exclusive: Grey’s Anatomy‘s New Interns Are Sticking Around — But for How Long?

Press PLAY to watch the good doctors’ day unfold, in a big way. Huge.

Want more scoop on Grey’s, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Loading video...

1. Jessica says:

Aww, MerDer. They are so adorable!

2. KJ says:

This makes me feel all the feelings.

3. TV Gord says:

I just had a cold chill run up my spine that I haven’t felt since the final season of Roseanne.

4. Tanja says:

Greys anatomy looks really good on Thursday, cant wait, only 2 more days left :)

5. Tia says:

Meredith and Derek make me feel lots of feelings, they’re so cute! My favourite MD storyline! Thursday get here. :)

6. Liz says:

I just love MerDer scenes, there are not enough.
    And wow, they earned a lot! Maybe they will give some to the hospital?!

7. Angela says:

Second hand embarressment for Liz! – They sued the hospital Liz, the 15 mil each COMES from the hospital, thats 75mil (without counting Mark/Lexie’s whcih will go to their family) 75 million dollars would bankrupt the hospital, so they are obviously going to turn it down.

• Larc says:

A major hospital would likely have excess liability insurance that would cover such amounts, but the decision will probably be appealed. A higher court may not uphold such a large award.

• Luke says:

Actually, Callie’s $15 million is actually Mark’s $15 million on behalf of Sofia. Callie didn’t have a claim since she was not on the plane. She was representing Mark on behalf of their daughter. The full settlement should be $90 million, including Lexie’s share.

• Paumi says:

what about mark´s daugther? the other one , Sloan i think,

• bjohns says:

Probably because Sofia is his minor child is why the lawsuit named only her and not Sloan. I’m not a lawyer…maybe it will lead to Sloan showing up? Is she on another show why her character didn’t return when Mark came home? Does anyone remember if she was mentioned?

• you also need to remember that Sloan is not Mark’s legal daughter since he never new about her until she was 17.

• Jules says:

@sheela casillas. Not true at all. If she’s his biological daughter, than she’s his daughter. It doesn’t matter at what age he found out about her. I don’t remember whether they determined she wasn’t his biologically but if she is, she’s entitled to a portion of the award and if she knows about it she’ll most likely sue the estate to get a portion of it.

• Jules says:

and sloan would only be entitled to anything if Mark didnt’ have a will. If he had a will and she stood to recover in the will, than she could recover however much of his assets he specified for her to recover.

• gary says:

im sorry but 75 million would not bankrupt a major hospital/top ranked hospital which SGMW is made out to be. far from it wouldnt even come close

• Christine says:

Second hand embarrassment for Angela!! 75 million dollars would not bankrupt the hospital. Hospitals have insurance in oder to cover themselves in cases like this.

• Marie says:

But… what about the airline? Regardless of their history, they are still partially liable for the damages sustained. So is that money in whole or in part from the hospital?

• Portia says:

Yes. I don’t know any specifics about Washington tort law, but all states have a doctrine of comparative fault or contributory negligence. Any defense lawyer worth her salt would allege negligence on the part of the alrline as a defense to the lawsuit. In my state, the airline’s negligence would be weighed against the negligence of the hospital and a percentage of fault assigned. If the hospital asserts comparative fault of the airline in its answer, and the plaintiffs do not bring them into the lawsuit, a percentage of fault could still be assigned to the airline that would reduce the amount of the plaintiffs’ recovery.

• Jules says:

Not true. Not all states have contributory or comparative negligence. Most states have one or the other. I dont’ know what Washington has but they are two very different things.

• Jules says:

what you described is comparative negligence.

• Portia says:

Thank you, Captain Obvious, I mean Jules. “Or” is conjunctive word that means “one or the other,” and its placement in the phrase “comparative fault or contributory negligence” informs the reader that what precedes and follows are separate and distinct. And, yes, my state is a comparative fault state, which is why I qualified the example as what would happen in MY state, not every state. Oh, and comparative negligence in a technical sense is a comparison of the plaintiff’s negligence to that of the defendant’s, not defendant to c0-defendant, or defendant to third party (the situation the poster asked about). It is subsumed into the doctrine of comparative fault and often mistakenly termed interchangeably, at least in my jurisdiction. You may want to glance back at your Hornbook or a Black’s Law Dictionary while studying for your torts final. Good luck with the bar exam!

• Jules says:

Thanks smartass. I passed the bar in MD 8 yrs ago and have been practicing since them. I’m in house for a staffing co practicing labor/employment, bankruptcy and collections. And yes I know the diff between comparative and contributory. Your original definitions sounds like something you pulled from Wikipedia,

• Portia says:

Also, negligence and comparative fault issues are VERY rarely decided on summary judgment.

• Jules says:

Summary judgment is a motion that says they agree with the facts that the plaintiff has alleged are true but there is no claim. Any lawyer worth anything will always push for a motion on summary judgment, whether they think they can actually win it or not.

• Portia says:

Thank you, but I am intimately familiar with summary judgment, as I practice insurance defense, and it is my frickin’ job to file them on a regular basis — which I usually will not do in pure garden variety negligence cases Most judges will not grant summary judgment when the issues boils down to a factual dispute as to whether the defendant breached its duty of care. Same with comparative fault. Unless you can come up with a pure question of law for the judge to hang her hat on, the Court will almost always rule that negligence is a factual issue for the jury to decide. And that is when the defendant tries it; it is even rarer for the plaintiff to get summary judgment on liability in a negligence case. Even if the liability issue were decided on summary judgment, the Court is not going to decide on the issue of damages, as it did in the fictional clip. That is purely a factual question, and there will be a trial on damages unless the parties stipulate to an amount. And, no, not every lawyer will push for summary judgment whether they can win or not. In the real world of practice, a plaintiff’s attorney is usually paid on a contingency fee, meaning he does not get paid unless and until the plaintiff recovers. A plaintiff’s attorney with a real practice is not going to waste time and money preparing a motion for summary judgment that he knows he’ll lose. This is the reality of real world practice versus the theoretical world of law school.

• Jules says:

And a plaintiff is lawyer would rarely push for summary judgment at all, for the very same reasons you stated. I’m talking about the defense attorney.

• Liz says:

I KNOW it comes from the hospital. But I think maybe they will give the money back to the hospital, be investors or something?

8. Jess says:

Ohh, I live in UK so can’t watch it :-( will have to wait till its on YouTube me thinks!

9. Larc says:

If something like this really happened, a lot of people wouldn’t continue working. Since MerDer were both involved, it’s 2X for them.

• Olivia says:

Plus Lexie’s part, I don’t think it would go either to Tatcher or Molly. So it’s 45Mill for Mer/Der, 30Mill for Arizona/Callie (Mark’s share for Sofia) and 15Mill for Christina.
      I don’t think they’ll take it, though. The money comes from the hospital, not the airplane company. Even if it’s not bankrupt imagine working in there, super hostile, mixed emotiones (other doc’s POWs: yeah, it’s sad Vs. We need the money for the hospital)

• Olivia says:

Oh, I forgot about Sloan Sloan. She should get something, right? I HATE how Shonda kept her away from everything important regarding her dad.

• Jules says:

Lexie’s share would go to her living heirs. Since she has no children, it reverts back to her parents. If Thatcher were not living, it would be split among siblings. This is unless she had a will, in which it would go to whoever she named in her will.

10. Ana says:

There is nothing jaw-dropping about this. We already knew about the award from last week’s promo…The irony is how this fictional event foreshadowed what happened a few weeks ago with Jenny Rivera’s plane. It appears that the charter company had a history of malfunction as well. And apparently it was Ms. Rivera and her people who chose the company. Sadly, everyone on that crash perished…

• Evan Kisseloff says:

I actually survived a plane crash a week before the plane crash season finale last year. It was just me that survived, the other two were killed. It is sort of theraputic to watch. Not to mention I am in the process of settling right now too.

11. TBH says:

I guess they are all so upset because the hospital will need to close because the judgement will bancrupt it. I bet they will end up not taking the money or some kind of deal with the hospital

12. SJ says:

Not so much of a jaw dropper, TV Line. I mean, it was on the promo…

13. Emily says:

So will the storyline be that they put all their friends and co-workers out of work when the hospital closes or cuts its staff by half? Otherwise its just rich doctors, which we already had.

14. Megan says:

Idk how you do math, but if you include mark and lexie, the total amount is 90 million, but donate to the hospital isn’t a dumb idea, it would allow them to still work there until they want to retire. they are surgeons afterall i dont see them quitting anytime soon regardless of finances.

15. jkiuolju says:

Sofia and Mark’s kids would probably get Marks money as well. There is definitely a twist going to happen. Either way, Calzona melts my heart.

16. snowballx350 says:

Jaw Dropping? They showed this in the promo last week lmao

17. Annie says:

Thanks for the sneak peek and the GA info Matt :) Overall, I have liked the plane crash SL (minus the loss of beloved characters of course), so my hope is that the story doesn’t end with them just giving the money back to keep the hospital alive. There’s something too predictable about that and also less than satisfying to me given that these characters have lost sisters, fathers, “brothers” friends, the loss of limbs or the use of them, so to watch them just say “here ya go, take the money back” seems a little too easy of a way to wrap up this story and almost too quick for what we have watched them go through. I’m hoping Shonda Rhimes will take it in another interesting direction because the airplane survivors story this season has been a good one. I’m really looking forward to this episode. It looks good!

18. KSM says:

This wouldn’t bankrupt the hospital, insurance would cover it.

• Aeol says:

Insurance might cover it, but the hospital’s premiums might go up so high they could no longer afford it. A hospital cannot function without insurance. That could possibly be the financial issue.

• gary says:

even if Insurance didnt cover it all 75million wouldnt even come close to bankrupting a top ranked hospital. I mean seriously people 75 million wouldnt bankrupt low end retail stores

19. Ana says:

One flaw in this storytelling is how Callie continues to be presented as the one with the greatest concern for the money. She’s the only trust fund baby in that bunch. She never showed any concern for financial status except when she got disowned by her father which it is assumed was reversed since he danced with her at her wedding. So, the decision to do this with her feels completely out of character…

20. They found the Hospital at fault, I wonder what that is going to lead up to

21. Amanda says:

Looks like a very good episode. There are five clips on YouTube. As always, with any Rhimes show, there is a suspension of disbelief at some things.

22. mlb says:

all you money counters, you realize this is fiction right? Just sayin…

23. mary says:

the reason sloan shouldn’t get anything is because she didn’t want anything from him after she had her baby so no she does not need to know that he died she does not know bout Sofia….

24. weserec says:

…each

25. Crap – My favourite show just lost the bloody plot!

26. Istvan Foldi says:

He found the hospital negligent.So Owen will have to take the blame,and that is the jaw dropping turn.But I’m just guessing… :)

27. Anonymous says:

What’s up everyone, it’s my first go to see at this website, and piece of writing is truly fruitful designed for me, keep up posting these articles.%7