Drop Dead Diva Cancelled After 4 Seasons

Drop Dead Diva CancelledDrop Dead Diva is officially, well, dead.

Lifetime on Tuesday decided not to renew the legal dramedy for a fifth season, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Army Wives Exclusive: Major Character Getting Killed Off Amid Season 7 Shake-Up

Diva — which stars Brooke Elliott as a vapid, dead model stuck in the body of a curvy, smart lawyer — wrapped its Season 4 run last September. The show’s producers Sony Pictures TV may attempt to shop the scrapped series elsewhere.

Are you sad to see Drop Dead Diva go? Do you think it’s all Kim Kardashian’s fault? Hit the comments.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations

1. sk says:

wow i’m surprised. i liked this show and i’m sad to see it go.

• Jason Faddies says:

REAL TALK…..I am a married MAN, and the show was on LOCK to my DVR……How could Lifetime do this to me….Do you realize how much the BROTHERS (I am black) at the Barber Shop would tease me when they found out that I watch the show after RELIGIOUSLY!!!!!!
      Can you imagine: SPORTCENTER, SONS OF ANARCHY, and DROP DEAD DIVA!!!! Thanks a lot LIFETIME!!!!! I will NEVER WATCH ANOTHER SHOW ON YOUR NETWORK!!!!! EVER!!!!! EVER!!!!
      That’s a lie, I will still watch the CHICAGO show with the woman in internal affairs/with 3 brothers/ 2 lovers…….. I COULDN’T HELP IT!!!! I got played YO!!!!!! I can’t wait for that to come back on!!!!! DAMN MAN!!!! No more triple D!!!!!

• Katie O says:

Me too – I think it is terrible that the network leaves us loyal fans hanging without a wrap up of the storylines in Drop Dead Diva. I will miss the quality writing and acting that this show provided!!

• Ell says:

My two favorite shows gone! Drop Dead Diva and Jane by Design! There is no joy in Mudville! :(

• Leigh says:

Very disappointed. I think “Drop Dead Diva was a quirky show with adorable and hilarious character. Every one of the actors was excellent. I am very sad about Lifetime’s decision to cancel. I just can’t win, I enjoyed “Fairly Legal” too. the problem with all of these shows is that one never knows when they are premiering the next season. There are so many shows on cable that if you are not watching that particular channel when the Promo airs, you lose the opportunity to learn about the airing. These days to be apprised of a new season, one has to be watching the channel. Hence ratings are based on knowledge of a show’s airing and time slot, which means if you are not a fan of the CHANNEL you will most likely not be treated to that favorite show. Lack of knowledge precipitates low ratings. The greater number of channels available the greater chance a show is cancelled—-A shame.

• monyca says:

Oh no I can’believe its gone. I was really looking for it. I love the show. Please make come back,

• alexixfr@yahoo.fr says:

I couldn’t less about KIM K. But I definetely like the serie Drop Dead Diva a lot. It is shame they are letting it go.

• Tea says:

very sad to see it go. I want the story to continue Jane deserves happiness. It is difficult for a overweight girl to find happiness……Loved the story…..

• Medina says:

C’mon….cancel this show, cancel the cop show mentioned below, changing the entire cast of Army wives, WTH….may be able to drop my cable package after all, Paying a premium for Lifetime, might not have to anymore if they keep this up!

• Dee Robison says:

What the hell is Lifetime doing to me! I love that show, because show big women are smart, beautiful, and created! Don’t know why don’t want to bring it back? That is totally mess up?

• Caitie says:

I can’t believe they dropped this show!!!!! This was my favorite show alongside Ugly Betty!! Why do they always cancel the GOOD shows and leave things on there like stupid hunny boo boo creature. Ugh! Quit taking all the good shows off!!!!!!!!!!

• C says:

Season 4 just hit Netflix and I’ve watched the previous season and loved it. However, as soon as I saw that they had brought on that Kardashian girl, I lost interest. The show was great before without having to pull these stunts. Plus, I refuse to watch or buy anything associated with reality show trash. Let’s hope that when they bring it back they’ll lost Kim K.

• Ramon Torres says:

Sorry to see it go. Brooke Eliot is a talented lady.

• Val Laughton says:

How stupid are you??????? Why not take a peak at what’s on Lifetime on Sundays? – starting YESTERDAY! It was announced at least 2 months ago, if not more, that ‘we’ (all DDD followers!) convinced the channel to bring it back!

2. Jessica says:

I assumed that was the case after so long without a renewal announcement, but why would they cancel such a long running show without a finale? That just makes me so sad.

• cathy says:

Me too! So, so sad…Why would they drop one of their best shows? Maybe to put on another of those ridiculous reality shows?

3. slizabeth says:

Sad day, but not unexpected. The decision took so long that the most likely answer was obviously going to be no.

4. Charlie says:

what the fudge?!

and they keep garbage like honey boo boo on the air?

• I know! that’s what pisses me off..they rather have dirty trashy shows on instead good tv!

• When will people learn how TV works?

• Betty says:

Completely agree with you!!!

• Michael says:

They keep Honey Boo Boo on the air because more people are watching it…not the network’s fault that we like crap tv. I’m more upset that they didn’t give Jane and Company the chance to end the show properly. It was a big slap in the face to all the fans who invested 4 years into the show.

• Kristen says:

The BIGGEST slap in the face! All of the dedicated fans that watched religiously to finally see Jane and Grayson have a relationship!? We get nothing. Wow. I’m livid right now that Lifetime would do this. Least they could do is air a 2 hour movie-esque Series Finale. THE LEAST!

• Judy says:

Bring the show back!! Kristen is right, we deserve better than Trash shows!! Lifetime use to be one of my fav channels! No more!!!

• Linda says:

I am so mad, they should had a finale!!!!!!!

• Dj says:

I agree, cancel Honey Boo Boo what a waste of television space!!! I have watched 3 shows on Lifetime 2 now have been cancelled only one left is Army Wives!! Lifetime what a stupid move cancelling Drop Dead Diva, at least let us get a final episode. Won’t be watching that channel much longer!!!!

• Gillian Marshall says:

Spot on. On comment made on honey boo boo. Drop Dead Diva is so well written. One can only hope it will be picked up by another network. The acting was superb. The least they could have done was wrap up the storyline in a 2 hour special if for no other reason than the fans.

• Brittany says:

EXACTLY!
      I swear, some people just don’t know good television.
      Honey Boo Boo. I mean, are you effing kidding me?!

• Val says:

Different channels ~ but I sooo totally agree w/you!!! I have been patiently (well, not really!) waiting for DDD & Army Wives to start up again!!

5. Taylah says:

BUT– CLIFFHANGER. I thought the quality of the show had decreased greatly last season but I still can’t believe it they’re gonna leave it at that. At worst I thought it’d get some sort of shortened six-episode season.

• Smigglesby says:

not only was it a cliffhanger but it was possibly the most BANANAS cliffhanger I’ve seen on TV in a long time – maybe since lost season 3 finale – Seriously, Jane’s soul entering Owen’s body???? INSANE!

• tara17 says:

Agreed, insane. I understand that shows get cancelled, but why not give the writers a chance to wrap things up for viewers. Sux.

• Spencer says:

I know! That cliffhanger was insane. I don’t think I have ever been that bewildered after a finale. I would have really loved to see what they would do with this storyline.
      Plus, Jane and Grayson need to be together!

6. This makes me so very upset! how can they leave us hanging like that!

7. Sherry says:

It’s so frustrating when you don’t get resolution, not to mention the fact that they are canceling a great show!

8. Charlie says:

I wasn’t really a huge fan of the show,didn’t watch the last season properly I did enjoy it at times.. but the last season wasn’t all that great worst decision ever!

9. Shazha says:

Noooooooo!!!! So sad! Loved this show

10. Stupid, they didn’t even give it an ending! At least give fans the satisfaction of knowing it was going to end, and give it some kind of a send off!

11. Honey Bo Bo says:

Good riddance.

12. MariaSanchez says:

I NEED CLOSURE!!!!

13. Erin says:

I’m not surprised – where on earth did they plan to take it after the ending of the last season. I was really disappointed with where it was heading and wasn’t sure I was going watch the new season anyway.

14. Sandris says:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! So sad :( I want to see Jane and Grayson together!!! Eugh…

15. cee see says:

Yeah!!!! After season 3 i wouldve been sad …but after season 4 when it featured that craptacular “acting” of that Kraptrashian chick DDD got what it deserved!!

• Liza!80 says:

I have to agree with you on that…having Kim K on it nearly ruined the show for me. But I loved seeing quinton aaron and other guest stars.

16. May says:

Sad, sad day. I loved DDD.

17. PipePVelasco says:

It’s sad! The Season 4 Finale was not a finale, it said “to be continued” :(

18. jacqi says:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Jane and Grayson together!!! Hope another station picks it up. Or maybe a little something for the fans on the season dvd (like October Road did).

19. Martin says:

Why though, it was well rated enough to be renewed.

20. Monse Foster says:

I’m not surprised, i stopped watching after season 3. Horrible writing…

21. Maureen says:

I really enjoyed this show and looked forward to seeing it come back.

22. ItWasTime says:

“…a vapid, dead model.” Wait, do you mean the storyline or the reality of sitting through an episode?

• Liza!80 says:

The sad thing was, Deb wasn’t vapid. She was a kind person. A little bit of an airhead, but good. The writing got a bit out there with Kim K on it.

23. Amy says:

I’d rather they have cancelled Army Wives than DDD. Even though I didn’t like the finale and the cliffhanger, there are still more stories to be told whereas Army Wives is recycling stories just with new characters I don’t care about.

24. Vicente says:

Say what? I can’t believe it, there were too much going on at DDD, OMG! I was already waiting for the new season this year. THAT SUCKS!

25. Nerdbot says:

I hope the actress who played Jane gets a new work on television soon. She has so much potential and charisma and totally deserves a new chance to shine.

26. grandgoddess@carolina.rr.com says:

They leave all the trashy stupid reality shows on the air…but take off Drop Dead Diva — an unusual show with sweet stories that have a touch of drama as well as interesting legal cases thrown in. It makes no sense!

27. tahina says:

So sad. But the last season was terrible. I came to think that everyone was dead at the end.

28. MsMarci says:

The last season was pretty bad, but resolution would be nice…

29. nitemar says:

I liked Jane. The actress who played her hope she gets another show. She’s got awesomeness. :D

30. Shireen says:

I would have definitely liked a resolution :( :(

31. Dmcosta says:

It was a great program with interesting characters. Army Wives lost its spark two seasons ago and Lifetime chooses to keep it going. That’s wrong.

• noodle says:

Completely Agree!

• Linda says:

DDD was a great show, though being in Canada it was always a hit & miss whether a local station carried it or not. I’ve had to watch Season 4 online. We didn’t get Army Wives at all and I’ve watched all six seasons online….It was another fantastic show but I can honestly say that the program started to lose it’s spark when Pamela & Chase moved away and now Roxy isn’t going to be around much this coming season (because said actress is pregnant in real life). It amazes me that unscripted competition shows (Amazing Race, Survivor, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, etc) go on and on and on, and get the choice time slots in the lineup, but good scripted shows get dumped without resolution. Why couldn’t they choose to go the way of Fringe or Private Practice? Give us another season of six episodes with a proper ending!! Damn Lifetime!!

32. Kayla says:

I loved the beginning of this show, but season four was horrible. The storyline of Owen disappearing and coming back, a Kardashian and the absolutely atrocious ending made me not want another season. Hopefully Josh Berman gets a clue with both of his shows getting canceled.

33. Tana says:

NOOOOOOO!!!! I love that show!! And i want to know what happens to Grayson and Jane and old Jane in Owen’s body.

34. Liza!80 says:

I’m so pissed off! I LOVE This show. Why would Lifetime do this? It was a great show and it had a good season cliffhanger. They keep army wives going and that stupid dance moms and actually cancel a great show? I feel like boycotting!

35. Greg says:

I have to say I am really surprised. I felt this was always a strong ratings show for the network and had a great following. The concept was great and the characters had much more to say.

However, considering this is the same network turning out trash shows like Dance Moms and The Houston’s reality show, it shouldn’t be surprising. The network has changed and definitely not for the better.

36. No, no, no, no, Nooooooooooooo. I love this show, I hope it finds a new home on another network. Lifetime is too small of a network to support some shows.

• Mandy Baker says:

I have to agree with you, I love this show and it’s the ONLY one I watch on this network, the only one worth watching! No reason to tune in to Lifetime anymore for me :( I can only share your hope that this show gets picked up on another network, which I’m sure it will.

• Barb doiron says:

I agree! No more Lifetime for me! DDD was clever writing and well acted….. Honey boo boo – what is this world coming too!?!

37. Melissa says:

NO!!! that’s terrible! I love that show. such a wonderful program with so many great issues discussed and so many positive messages shared. so sorry to hear that it was canceled.

38. rowan77 says:

Kind of bummed, but when I watched the cliffhanger season ender last year I thought it was time to go. It jumped the shark for me, but I hope, since there are plenty of people who want it picked up, that they can shop it elsewhere. Maybe Hulu or Netflix? They are doing Arrested Development that way.

39. Brandy says:

Im not suprised, it wouldve been renewed earlier if it was going to be and Lifetime has a lot of pilots.I did think its ratings were deccent and it grew season to season but it went as low as 0.6 last season.Im bummed, I wanted Jane and Greyson to get together and im upset the whole series ended on a cliffhanger,fans should get closure especially for a four season show.I hope Brooke finds work soon,she was awesome.All thats worth watching on Lifetime now is Client List.

40. stefany says:

Sorry – huge fan of this show the first two seasons (own them on DVD). Hung in there season three and learned to love Owen. Put up with the “Pakery” mess and Fred’s (second) departure to see Owen and Jane grow. But that finale was an insult. First – the show lost track of its own history. Jane (pre Deb) used to give her mother money to GO AWAY! Why would she care if Deb was bonding with her mom? Second – Jane (dead Jane) would have died regardless of Deb popping into her body. Wouldn’t she prefer her mom still had someone she believed was her daughter than to inflict the pain of losing a child on her? Third – Deb kissing Grayson KILLED OWEN! She killed him! The Jane that Deb became was not that shallow, vapid or callous. Grayson never evolved – but that was not true of our heroine. She would not have betrayed Owen in that way – not even for a weak moment of old time’s sake, and especially not standing there in her wedding gown. If the creative team of DDD can’t treat their viewers any better than that, then it was time for them to go. Bring back Against the Wall. Liked it, too. Just like DDD, didn’t think I would and enjoyed it very much.

41. Rodney App says:

DDD was a good, entertaining show that will be missed. Even tho Kardashian was sort of a “guest star”, she didn’t diminish the charm of the show, thank goodness. The show had HEART. And all the actors were very good. Each episode seemed to be much shorter than they actually were because they were so well written, in other words, each episode went by very fast and were great fun. A finale is needed to close the story line. It’s REALLY disappointing that this show is leaving.

42. Christy says:

Oh no!! I just got addicted to that show on Netflix. The concept sounded so awful but I saw half an ep in the 4th season and got hooked immediately in spite of wanting to hate it. Can the writers tell you (TVLine) how they were going to wrap up the cliffhanger?

43. Babybop says:

My mom and I are sad. :( Loved this show. And how could they leave us on a cliffhanger??

44. Donna says:

I am soooo disappointed. I don’t understand, from what I saw the ratings weren’t bad, they drew over 2 million a show, which is around the same as dance moms and lots of other shows. More than Project Runway. I can’t believe they are doing this, and leaving everything hanging. SO ANGRY!

45. Tee says:

The show was getting increasingly terrible. It was getting hard to watch, but at least there wasn’t much else going on with TV at the times it aired.

But I hate to see it end on such a bad note. That was such a terrible finale – and to end the show like that? Ugh. Too bad they couldn’t have just ended it with Jane resisting temptation and living happily ever after with Owen. And one last appearance from Fred!

Brooke was fantastic though, here’s hoping she shows back up on the screen soon.

46. Tee says:

PS I already quit watching the train wreck they turned Project Runway into, so just realized with DDD gone, I’m out of shows to watch on Lifetime! And somehow that doesn’t seem like a big loss.

47. mia says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

48. Areis says:

nooooooo… worst new everrrr..!!!!! What The Hell…..!!!!

49. IHateLifetime says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! I love Brooke Elliott! It was one of my favorites shows :(