Ratings: Golden Globes Hit Six-Year High, Good Wife Eyes Uptick, ABC Dramas Down

Ratings: Golden Globe Awards 2013NBC’s broadcast of the Golden Globe Awards on Sunday night delivered 19.7 million total viewers and a 6.4 demo rating, up 17 and 28 percent versus last year’s Ricky Gervais three-peat.

In fact, that marks the Globes’ best tallies in six years, since January 2007 (when the show did 20 mil and a 6.5).

RELATED | TVLine’s Golden Globes Coverage: TV’s Big Winners, Best & Worst Moments, Backstage Buzz, Ausiello’s Red Carpet Photo Diary

Over on CBS — pending adjustments due to football overrun — The Good Wife is eying its largest audience (10 million total viewers) since Oct. 21 and looks to have matched its season high in 18-49 (up a tick to a 1.9 rating). The Mentalist  as of now can be penciled in for its second-highest demo rating of the season (2.0).

RELATED | Revenge Recap: The Grapes of Wrath
RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: Crossing a Line

ABC’s Once Upon a Time (8.1 mil/2.8) was down 10 percent week-to-week, while Revenge (6.1 mil/2.0) dropped some 15 percent to tie a series low. Happy Endings (2.22 mil/1.0) held steady versus its first Sunday showcase, but Apartment 23 (1.75 mil/0.8) fell 21 percent and a tenth (to a new series low).

RELATED | ABC Boss Weighs In on Sunday Sitcoms, Happy Endings‘ Future

Fox’s entire animation line-up dropped sharply versus last Sunday’s NFC Wildcard Game-boosted tallies.

1. Jeremy says:

They need to move those sitcoms. Happy Endings is a great show, but I think Revenge is an awful lead in.

2. Craig says:

Wow is that headline deceiving. A “high” for The Good Wife is only up .1 despite CBS having over 30 million viewers and over an 11 in the demo well into the 8p hour and it STILL couldn’t beat Revenge in the demo

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

At renewal time, all that matters is a show’s performance relative to itself and to other shows on the same network. This isn’t head-to-head fantasy football.

• Craig says:

All the more reason a high which is only an increase of .1 from last week despite CBS having a mammoth opening to the night (unlike last week) is very unremarkable and actually shows the weakness of the show more than anything

3. Yay…Happy Endings is steady…hopefully will rise next week.

4. Jessica says:

Is it just me or are Happy Endings and Apt 23 airing out of order? The scenarios (Dave still living with Max) (June still working at the coffee shop) seem to back pedal from what aired a couple of weeks ago.

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

Yes, as denoted in our Sunday WHAT TO WATCH column, that was HAPPY ENDINGS’ infamous “lost” kickball episode from Season 2.

• Chris says:

Happy Endings was out of order cause its the “lost” kickball episode from Season 2 that never aired in the U.S.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m wondering how old some of these Apt. 23 episodes are that they are airing. A week ago they aired that one where Chloe was dating inappropriate men, and showed that scene of her coming out of an outhouse with a bunch of clowns, and I swear I saw that scene advertised last year back when they were promoting the show before season one even started. Same thing with the one where they went to the Hamptons. That scene where Chloe was telling June she almost lost control and hit her after June rhapsodized about walking a beach with a sandwich was definitely part of the season one promotion. They must have produced a full season last year only to have half of them air, I guess.

5. Elena says:

I have to say, I’m disappointed to see OUAT take such a slide but not really surprised. I think it has lost a lot of regular viewers because this season has taken on way too many characters and the stories are getting too convoluted (yes, even for a fantasy show). I still love the core cast of this show (Emma, Regina, Snow, etc) but wish they wouldn’t have taken on so much with characters like Belle, Mulan, Aurora, etc. To me, it seems that the quality of writing/storytelling has really suffered in exchange for more characters and more fantastical stories. I loved exploring who Emma Swan is and what experiences formed her character. We got lots of that last season but only a smattering of it this season. She is the heart of the show but, to me, it seems the exploration of her backstory has been halted or put on the back burner for now.

Don’t get me wrong. I really love OUAT but I miss the show it started out as and wish the writers would find their way back to the heart of this story. Trim the fat, kick the extraneous characters to the background, and regain focus. On a side note, I think Lana Parilla has done a great job at making Regina into a much more sympathetic character this season.

Again, this is all just my opinion and I mean no disrespect to anyone who is really loving how OUAT is going his season. :)

6. Guy says:

ABC needs to learn the term “counter-programming” because yeesh.

7. emgregson says:

Hey Matt, I have a question for you. I was reading Paul Lee’s comments from ABC’s TCA presentation on Thursday and though he said networks are really focusing more on the C3 numbers these days and not just the overnights. Am I remembering that accurately? Also, where are the C3 ratings reported for the public to see?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Anyone who wasn’t NBC found numbers to embrace/spin at TCA. Paul Lee’s full quote about C3 (which measures actual viewership of commercial minutes within three days of broadcast) was:
      “On the ‘much to shout about’ side of the ledger, we were No. 1 in C3 entertainment, which is the measure that is sort of most important in my life for the fall, and that’s for a lot of reasons. We have … the most upscale audience on ABC. We make the most appointment television, so our C3s really go up, and that’s tremendously valuable to us …. We did a lot of deliberate work at VOD, which, as you guys know, is fast forward-disabled, and that builds our C3 number. Tremendously important to us.”

• emgregson says:

Thanks so much for responding. So, am I correct in assuming that ABC, when deciding on cancellations/renewals will be looking more at the C3 ratings as opposed to the fast overnights? Also, is there a place where the C3 ratings are reported? Thanks so much, Matt. I really appreciate you clarifying this stuff for me. :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

C3 will be a “consideration,” sure. And no, I have 0.0 idea where one can find such numbers for public consumption.

• emgregson says:

I didn’t think so, but just thought I’d ask. Thanks again for answering my questions. I sincerely appreciate it. :)

8. Alice says:

The Golden Globes were actually funny last night that’s something that hasn’t happened in years.

9. Juli says:

Poor Apt 23. Its leagues better than Happy Endings; but, the timeslot (and the title) hamper the show

10. A says:

Revenge’s and OUAT’s numbers are really starting to worry me. Happy for the Good Wife. :)

11. forwarddad says:

I wish TVline would recap TGW. Have to keep going to the other site. Please consider.

12. cjeffery7 says:

i hope Girls found good numbers! we’ll have to wait and see. when lena dunham accepted her awards she shoulda told everyone to change the channel to HBO! lol

13. Brandon says:

Glad to see that Happy Endings–one of the few sitcoms I enjoy–was steady, but it’s still in an awful time slot. Hopefully it can rise a bit as more fans who watch it on Tuesdays discover the Sunday airings as well.

14. N says:

Loved Revenge!

15. Any idea on how much of the Golden Globes numbers was West Coast’s live feed from 5-8? I’m sure my mom and I weren’t the only ones over here watching at that time.

Also, Nielsen ratings confuse the hell out of me so do you have an idea of the total viewers for The Mentalist?

16. luli says:

Renvenge did pretty bad… Should I be worried?

17. sladewilson says:

This Sunday’s ratings had to be all over the place given the NFL Playoffs, Golden Globes and Showtime’s free weekend with three series premieres (Shameless, House of Lies and Californication), plus network TV airing fresh episodes. Still, the Good Wife’s show last night was one of their best…

18. Natalie says:

TGW was pretty good last night. I’m looking forward to seeing more Elspeth I just hope it doesn’t conflict with her guest stints on POI. I love her on that show too, and what she brings out in Finch. Also, Christine Baranski was cool as only she can be.

In other news: “The Mentalist” was so fast-paced and absorbing last night. I was happy to see character development of Jane and Lisbon, the teamwork all around, felt very sorry for the bad guy who let the kid live-and ended up stepping in front of a bus. other highlights: Jane got to bring the kid back, that Jane and Libon worked so closely together in this one (those are usually some of my most favorite episodes. They play off each other so effortlessly and enjoyably), Brenda Shettrick’s betrayal but conflict in putting the kid in Volker’s crosshairs, Lisbon punching Volker, the Cho & Rigsby moment in the car with the soda, and, I think my favorite part of this episode is how Jane helped Lisbon, was there for her. So different from where the Red John case obsession took Jane earlier this season, I think Lisbon and Jane bring out the best in each other and interesting, different layers you don’t get to see normally, and I enjoy watching that. And I think Jane was very strong in this episode. I love his funny, charming side, always, which is around a lot less than in season one or two, but I love he strength I saw last night in him.

I am amazed at how “The Mentalist” has not had one disappointing or boring episode this season yet. And I can say that I’m very interested in what’s coming in the rest of the season, with Red John answers (finally!), with Jane and Lisbon’s relationship, with character development for the team. And very excited to see a new episode written by Bruno Heller. Also, Daniel Cerone. Love those guys. And the whole Mentalist writing team. They’re all making me very proud to be a fan of their show.

Last, but not least, thanks, Matt for the great job you do here for us fans. :)

19. Britta Unfiltered says:

I am surprised so many shows tried to compete with the Golden Globes with new episodes. They never seem to do that with other award shows like the Oscars and Emmys. I kind of wish they hadn’t, my DVR couldn’t pick them all up and I’ve lost track of what all was even on and new. As long as I can catch Shameless and Girls somewhere, I’ll be happy though.

20. Audrey says:

The Golden Globes were amazing—high notes were the incomparable hosting team of Fey & Poehler who hit all the right notes, the humility and gratitude in many of the speeches etc. As you might expect only low notes included Jlo whoring herself as usual—it’s a shame they continue to let someone so classless, vulgar & tactless inside the room—the usual reports of her being nasty to the staff and haughty to all the personnel have surfaced as anticipated.

Overall however the show was a huge success—a wonderful dynamic spread across the paradigm of television and film.
    My favorite was the honor of having President Clinton introduce Lincoln and then Amy Poehler’s comment afterwards, “Hey! That was Hillary’s husband…!”

The night was grand and it’s going to be a good year.

“Everything I learned I learned from the
    movies.”
    ― Audrey Hepburn

January 2013

“Oh how Shakespeare would have loved cinema!”

― Derek Jarman, Dancing Ledge