Golden Globes 2013: Best and Worst Moments

The 2013 Golden Globes are in the books — but there are still more winners and losers to be declared in the court of water-cooler opinion. And no, I’m not just talking about crowning Lucy Liu as the night’s ballgown champion (though, obviously, that title should be hers and hers alone).

Rather, I’m talking about the many highs (and occasional lows) of the Globes’ fast-paced 2013 telecast, which nearly finished on time under the brilliant and tart-tongued stewardship of hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.

RELATED | Backstage at the Golden Globes: Who Said What?

In fact, let’s go ahead and recount the telecast’s best and worst moments, from Sacha Baron Cohen’s nastiness to Adele’s giddy fabulousness. Click through our picks below, then hit the comments and tell us if you agree with our take on this year’s show. And for all of TVLine’s post-Globes interviews, galleries, and other insider intel, do follow us on Twitter @TVLineNews!

1. JON says:

Love it too when Tina or Amy? called him Bill Rodham Clinton.

2. ed says:

Rachel Weisz should have won that award for best leading actress. but i guess talent is not about having awards. but she’s married with james bond >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Golden Globes

• Eli says:

Sorry but Glenn Close was robbed. That silent yet overwhelmingly expressive closing shot of Damages alone merits not one but a hundred golden globes. No one can act like that.
      Hollywood needs to get over its blind infatuation with Homeland

• Rrrrrr says:

That scene where she rips her father apart? So. Amazing. She really is one of the best actresses out there. That being said, Claire Danes was absolutely amazing this season a well. So I’m content with her win.

3. Lurker says:

love it when Tina joke about TAYLOR SWIFT

• cc says:

Anyone else notice Swift’s sour face all night? From when she was beat out by Adele (rightfully so, even though I love “Safe and Sound”) to any time the camera caught her. She just looked so agitated. What gives?!?

• lisa says:

I know! I was wondering the same thing…she definately didn’t seem very happy!

• Its becoming increasingly obvious that she takes herself way too seriously. She was unhappy after Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley made a (harmless) joke about her song “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” at the CMAs (I think it was that one.) When the camera didn’t pan to her reaction to Tina Fey I knew she was not happy. I forsee a downfall of epic proportions if she doesn’t lighten up about herself.

4. Lexi says:

Loved Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, I too want them to host everything, always, forever. Loved Anne Hathaway mentioning that the flying nun grew up to be Norma Rae. HATED Will Ferrell and Kristin Wiig, thought they ruined the category. It went from being about the nominees to being about them and I just wanted it to stop. Otherwise an overall pretty decent show.

• soundscene says:

I thought Will and Kristin were hilarious. So did everybody in the live audience, except perhaps Tommy Lee Jones. I honestly couldn’t care less who wins half these categories since the majority of these movies haven’t even made it to my local movie theaters, and I still watch more broadcast TV than cable TV. So the only appeal the GG has for me is the presenters and bits. I was laughing outloud at Will and Kristin’s bit–made me nostalgic for their time on SNL. Tiny and Amy were awesome as well–the show could have used more of them. The moment these awards shows decided to air on television, they become about entertaining the audience more than who wins the awards. If a winner manages to make an entertaining speech–awesome. Most don’t. People complain about awards shows because they’re too long and often dull for long sections of the broadcast. If we take away scripted parts that are actually funny, then what’s the point? Doesn’t need to be televised.

• Jenn says:

I agree with you. I did not think Will Ferrell and Kristin Wiig were funny at all. I couldn’t wait for them to give out the award and get off the stage!

5. taylor says:

Come on. Jennifer Lawrence was not being arrogant about better than Meryl, she was just quoting from the film ” The First Wives Club”……

• Aiden says:

Thank you! I can’t believe how many people thought that was a serious comment. It was a deliberate and fun reference to a hilarious bit in “The First Wives Club” and plus..she did kind of beat Meryl Streep (and nobody’s probably more dumbstruck by that than Jennifer Lawrence herself). Even as a joke or a surprised exclamation instead of a spot on movie reference, it was still pretty funny. Her spontaneity/general dorkiness during these formal events is quite refreshing.
      Lesson learned though, don’t ever even jokingly mess with Queen Streep.

• Alichat says:

Well, and let’s not forget that she said right after that “all jokes aside…” indicating it was a joke. And anyone that knows Meryl Streep knows she’d have been laughing if she was there.

• Elizabeth says:

While I do think it was a joke (and who wouldn’t be excited to win over Meryl Streep!), can we really say that this was a quote from a (bad) movie that came out when Jennifer Lawrence was 6 years old? I mean, is this a quote that has entered our lexicon? Really?

• twilight123 says:

I am Jennifer Lawrence’s exact age and I know that First Wives Club was a CLASSIC for my friends and I when we were growing up. I may have missed it in theaters (since I was about 6)m but it replayed CONSTANTLY on cable. We used to always go around singing “You don’t own me” and loved that it starred “the two witches from hocus pocus and rizzo” (ahem, Bette Midler, SJP, and Stockard Channing. Excuse the ignorance of my then youth, lol).

I say this to say that when Jennifer Lawrence said “What does this say? I beat Meryl” I died laughing. And I can’t imagine I was the only young person who did. Even if we weren’t the movie’s then target demographic.

• Spencer says:

I am only a year older than Jennifer Lawrence, and I got that reference…

• cjeffery7 says:

even if you dont know First Wives Club, it’s still OBVIOUSLY a joke. it’s MERYL STREEP. it’s been a running joke for YEARS that she’s the best actor ever (hyperbole) and she wins everything (hyperbole), and Meryl’s more in on the joke than anyone else. she doesn’t take herself that seriously. and if you’ve seen/heard/read 30 seconds of any other interview with Jennifer Lawrence you’d know she doesn’t take herself very seriously either.

ooooh, i just had a vision of the two of them playing mother and daughter in a film… NO NO NO don’t get your hopes up, self! keep your expectations low so you aren’t devastated in 30 years when their collab never happens.

6. vane says:

Love it amy poehler was so funny! Lena huhman won bt amy poehler got to sit on gorge cloonys lap I think we know the real winner lol!

7. Honey Bo Bo says:

Was it just me or did Anne Hathaway come off as annoying? Don’t get me wrong, I love her. But man, she sounded so fakey fakey. Like Kate Winslet when she won her Globes.

• Patricia says:

She was definetly annoying and then stealing some time from her producer, come on girl let other people shine too. The show overall was pretty funny. Amy’s remark about James Cameron was hilarious I loved people’s reaction to it. Will and Kristen were pretty funny too.

• AT says:

It’s not you. Anne Hathaway is that musical geek cheerleader, who everyone eye-rolled over in HS. She does the “Awe, shucks… LOOK AT ME ME ME ME” thing all too well… ala Julia Roberts Nice of her to steal mic time from her producer. So nauseating.

• Alichat says:

But I did like what she said to Sally Field. It was just another comment on how women’s roles have grown and become more deep and complex.

On a side note, I wonder why the Supporting Actor categories aren’t broken out into two like the Leading Actor/Actress roles are?

8. Meg says:

Anyone know if there’s a screengrab of Taylor Swift after she lost Best Song? I saw–albeit very briefly–that she seemed pissed..

• Phoenix says:

I noticed that she wasn’t looking too happy about it either, and my husband made the comment that she should treat it like an ex-boyfriend and write a song about it.

• Mary says:

I thought it was funny. Taylor probably thought she was going to win, I don’t think she realizes that her fans do not vote for this award. Even though they did not show her I bet she didn’t appreciate the joke about Michael J Fox Son. I think it is time she matures and reflect that she is starting to be the brunt of jokes. I personally think it looks bad to date like 17 guys in a year just to write a song about it. People are losing sympathy for her, but I am sure she will write a song about it.

• soundscene says:

The song she was nominated for was actually quite good, although I attribute most of that to The Civil Wars since the song is far more in their wheelhouse than her’s. The fact that she sang it probably didn’t help her in this arena. The music world may be enamored with her enough to give her many awards, but this isn’t the music world.

• meem says:

How could you tell? Taylor Swift looks like she’s sucking on a lemon 99.9999% of the time.

9. Saint Alicia says:

Tina and Amy were fantastic, I haven’t laughed so hard during an award show since I don’t know when. And so happy for Claire/Damian/the whole Homeland crew on their well-deserved wins! Also Kristen Wiig and Will Ferrell’s presenting bit brought me to tears (from laughter), while Jodie Foster’s speech had me in tears of the somber variety.
    There were many great moments during the show, though Jennifer’s Lawrence’s presumed cocky remark “I beat Meryl” is actually a quote from “The First Wives Club”; guess that movie reference was lost on a lot of people. Anyhow, great show!

10. Bobbi says:

Tina and Amy were outstanding. Wish we could have seen more of them! Adele, Jennifer Lawrence and Claire Danes were all highlights for different reasons. Jodie Foster’s speech was unbelievably emotional and struck a chord. Privacy is missed by many of us!

Sacha Baron Cohen, Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig were horrendously bad. I thought none of them would ever shut up. Ferrell and Wiig really detracted from the category and made it about themselves rather than the women that were up for the award. I’d be happy if I never had to see Cohen or Ferrell on my TV screen ever again.

11. Kim R says:

Favorite awards show to date. :) Amy & Tina were hilarious. Will & Kristin had me in stitches as well. I also laughed at Paul & Selma getting stumped by no prompter. Sasha (sp?)…no thanks. Jodi…I was kind of wondering where she was going & almost hit my mute but I guess it turned out okay. Lucy Liu’s gown…stunning. The chick from the Fashion Police show…worst dressed. :)

12. So happy for Girls!
    Also, if there is one thing we learned from the Globes.. it’s that Leonardo DiCaprio is the most gorgeous man on this planet. Holy moly.

13. jm says:

my favourite moment was Sylvester and Arnuuld… It was very fun remark from Arnold about english being a foreigner language for them. (and it is to me too)

14. Bree S says:

Best: Ben! Argo F– Yourselves, Academy. What a horrible snub. That movie was amazing and largely due to Mr. Affleck.

Worst: The SUPERBLY drunk Quentin Tarantino (sp?) was hilariously douchey in every shot in the audience. ESPECIALLY when being thanked by Christoph Waltz.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Aas he drunk or is that just the way he is in real life? Whenever I see him do interviews, he always seems so maniac like he’s got a major case of ADHD. But I personally see nothing wrong with it if that’s just who he is. Many people who prefer being behind the camera don’t do well in front of the camera. Also, I think sometimes people’s inner douchiness seems to come out more doing public appearances and speeches because they just get so nervous. But maybe I’m wrong and he really was just drunk.

• Brooke says:

Thank you! Along with Jennifer Lawrence and Adele’s speeches, Ben Affleck had an amazing moment! That was one of my favorite parts of the night! He seemed genuinely surprised to win, especially considering he’s not up for an Oscar for directing and his albeit rushed speech proved he was flustered and shocked that he won. What a great moment!

15. Alex says:

I loved Fey and Poehler, but Wiig and Ferrell were PAINFULLY unfunny.

Glad that Ben Affleck did well, especially considering the Oscars snub.

• Alex says:

And for some reason, I thought Jodie Foster had already come out. So her speech wasn’t news to me, though I did love it.

• Alichat says:

That was the point of her speech…or that section of the speech. She’d already come out to friends and family……anyone important to her…..ages ago. She was commenting on how it’s now supposed to be a big PR moment when you come out, and how absurd that is. It was about privacy….she’s a big privacy advocate.

16. Joylmtz says:

It was a good show but I still think Sons of Anarchy should have had at least 3 nominations.

17. Brittany says:

Favorite moment was Tina telling Taylor Swift to stay away from Sam Fox. And she definitely looked POed when she didn’t win. Sorry Taylor, teenagers don’t text in votes for these awards! Not a good night for her, I guess. lol.

And Anne Hathaway is so full of herself, so I wasn’t surprised she pulled a Kanye. She’s come a long way since likeable girl from The Princess Diaries (and not in a good way, imo).

Overall, great show! It’s the most I’ve watched of an awards show in a long time because I didn’t want to miss anything Tina or Amy said :)

18. CB says:

Sam Fox is not underage. He is in his early 20s. He just has the same young look as his father.

19. JKR says:

Also awesome, Amy after Bill Clinton presented Lincoln….”That’s Hillary Clinton’s husband!”

20. Dani says:

so sad that jlaw’s First Wives Club reference (brilliant btw) was lost on so many people

21. Deena says:

Loved Tina & Amy as hosts. So many funny moments with none of the duds that the hosts usually come up with. I was so happy for Ben Affleck and still can’t believe he wasn’t nominated at the Oscars. The shock for me was that Argo won over Lincoln. I loved Argo but thought LIncoln was a shoe-in. I never watch award shows anymore but will always watch as long as Tina & Amy are hosting.

22. L says:

How could you like the Will Ferrell bit? It was way too long and not even remotely funny.

23. Shari says:

GUYS!!! The “I BEAT MERYL” bit was A JOKE!!! It was a quote from FIRST WIVES CLUB!!! Boo for everyone thinking J.Law was seriously a brat in that moment, and boo for her not being more obvious that it was a joke.

• E says:

Well, he next comment was “but all joking aside….”, so she literally said it was a joke. I didn’t know the reference but I never once thought she was being anything but funny/joking. She was very funny.

24. soundscene says:

Loved Tiny and Amy. Loved Will and Kristin. Loved Adele and Jennifer Lawrence (I didn’t know the “I beat Meryl” was a First Wives Club reference, but I still realized it was a joke).

Didn’t like: cable TVs stronghold on awards now–the prejudice has shifted to broadcast. The fact that Benedict Cumberbatch didn’t win. Jodie Foster’s speech. Saving for the emotional moment she was speaking about/to her mother, the rest just made me feel uncomfortable. And it looked like the audience felt uncomfortable, too. Yes, privacy is good. But it felt like she was scolding the audience (both in studio and at home) for daring to wonder about the personal life of somebody who chose to stay in a career where it’s obvious your personal life will be wondered about. Now, her sort of coming out was not a revelation. I honestly don’t care. I realize she wasn’t talking specifically to *me*, but it was a strange sort of soapbox speech to be making when you’re being honored for your work. Didn’t seem like the proper venue. “Thank you for giving me this amazing award, now all you meddling people stop asking me about my personal life because it’s private!” I don’t dislike Jodie Foster–I like her work a lot–I just thought it was a strange and nonsequiter sort of speech.

• Alex says:

I agree with her that her private life should be exactly that. I don’t think that anyone is entitled to know private things about her simply because she’s an actress. That’s ridiculous!

• soundscene says:

I don’t disagree with that sentiment. I disliked the way and where she decided to say it. For the first 3/4 of her speech she seemed, for lack of a better word, ungrateful for the honor. The last 1/4 of the speech finally got back on track.
        Note that I never said she doesn’t deserve her life to be private. What I meant was that as a person who chooses to continue in showbusiness should not surprise her in the least when people speculate about her private life. She’s famous and still working. That said, I haven’t seen an article or story about her personal life in ages. The press is too busy chasing Bieber and Swift to care about the down low on Jodie Foster.

25. Sarah says:

hate anne hathaway

26. Jon says:

Kristen Wiig and Will Farrell – WORST moment of the night. Painful to watch.

• Jared says:

That’s funny, seeing as the entire audience was roaring with laughter. As was myself on the floor in stitches.

• Dan says:

Ferrel’s “I look lost and dazzled” schtick always cracks me up, I can’t help it. But everything else they did was unfunny and forced. People will always laugh at it when they’re live on TV. They even laughed at that horrible Sacha Baron man.

27. Sara says:

I thought Jennifer Lawrence was fantastic. I think she is so down to earth! Loved Tina and Amy AND Will and Kristin:)

28. Amanda says:

How awful was Kevin Costner?

29. Joe says:

“Wiig and Ferrell were often brilliantly in sync” Umm, the Wiig/Ferrell “sketch” was an improv exercise that Wiig did a whole lot on SNL with Fred Armisen on Weekend Update. The Garth and Kat sketches.

And to think you guys are TV writers!

30. libertariansfortruth says:

The Palin bashing. Love or hate Sara Palin its fact that when she became Governor of Alaska she ended a lot of corrupt practices going on there and had to take on elements of her own Party to do so.

Despite the Hollywood slobbering love for all things Clinton, in contrast, they continue to be the Bonnie and Clyde of American politics leaving nothing but scandal and corruption in their wake. When did Palin ever get someone killed?

Not to mention that most of these deep thinkers playing important people on the screen and then pontificating to all of us ‘fly over’ people while on the talk shows are mostly high school dropouts. Often makes me thing of an old joke “What’s the difference between humor and odor? Humor is a shift of wit.”

• Alichat says:

Palin bashing? I don’t remember any Palin bashing.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Just one comment that I noticed when the producer of Game Change, I think it was, said that there were three women in the world who could do fantastic Palin impersonations, and Palin was one of them. I think it was a joke about how over the top she is.

• Lincoln says:

Palin fortunately has never been in any position that would lead to her getting someone killed…. Shudder at the thought of her getting any real power.

• meem says:

Seriously? You’re defending Sarah Palin, the woman who became governor of Alaska in pursuit of her own reality show? The woman is a fame-wh0re. And an idiot–as she proves, to this day, every time she opens her mouth. Man, did we dodge an ENORMOUS bullet when that moron McCain put her on his ticket.

31. Babybop says:

Loved Wiig and Ferrell’s bit. Jennifer Lawrence wins for best speech of the night. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler need to host everything from now on…
    Also, LOVED Lucy Liu’s dress.

32. Reva says:

Of course, I loved Amy and Tina’s time on screen and Will and Kristen’s bit was great, however, a little bit drawn out. Jennifer Lawrence’s acceptance was so dorky and I loved it. I loved when Anne Hathaway thanked Sally Field for being a role model against type-casting. That was great. And Jodie Foster’s whole speech was phenomenal. Plus Bill Clinton! Wow. Can Amy and Tina host everything?!

33. GIL says:

Can please Tina and Amy host everything from now on???/

Loved when she bluntly told Taylor Swift to stay away from MJ Fox underage son. BRILLIANT!!!

34. Trev says:

Aziz Ansari is so annoying.

35. Rose says:

I thought Jodie Foster was a bit tipsy. She was there to accept an award for her philanthrophy, and we got a speech about . . . what exactly? Loved the hosts, Bill Clinton, all things Clooney and Afleck, and Jennifer Lawrence’s speech, especially the big about her brothers.

36. Britta Unfiltered says:

I very much enjoyed Tina and Amy as hosts. They did a great job and made the whole night a success, and I loved how natural they were doing it. Sometimes hosts feel awkward with their jokes, and there was no awkwardness with them. They owned every joke they told without regret. I loved Christoph Waltz and Quentin Tarantino winning, and of course, anything Homeland winning. Loved Girls winning and Lena Dunham. Hated seeing Les Mis winning anything, particularly Anne Hathaway. Her over the top hyperness bugs me, and I think she overacts too badly to ever deserve an award. Plus stealing the mic from her producer and taking his time? Ugh. Kevin Costner beating Benedict? Awful. Sacha Baron Cohen was not good, and I hated seeing overly smug Jay Leno presenting. Jonah Hill and Megan Fox were also groan-worthy, but Will and Kristen were fantastic. Also, Moonrise Kingdom was robbed for best ensemble. Overall I thought the ceremony was great. A lot of fun.

37. Sarabi says:

It was awesome! Though I wish TIna and Amy had more screen time! You go girls!

• Zoe says:

This this this. The globes were more entertaining than they’d been in years, but I needed MORE Tina and Amy! Also, was I the only one that found Kristen and Will unamusing?

38. McKayla says:

Was anyone else disturbed by Lea Dunhams dress and shoe problems? They literally had to help her up and down the stage while she like attempted to waddle down the stairs. I thought it was embarrassing for her. O and i love Jennifer Lawrence! “I beat Meryl!”

39. Miranda says:

Good grief but Anne Hathway was annoying.
    She came across so fake and forced and not only did she steal some of Fellner’s mic time, she went around hugging everyone on stage as well, which was distracting and irritating.