CW Boss Talks Wonder Woman, Vampire Diaries Spin-Off, Supernatural Renewal and More!

Get More: News, TCA Press Tour

Supernatural Jensen Ackles Jared PadaleckiA ninth season of Supernatural appears to be a foregone conclusion.

At the The CW’s portion of the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour, network president Mark Pedowitz was bullish on the prospects of the show continuing. “We are pleased with how Wednesday night has worked out with Arrow and Supernatural,” he said. “Creatively, the show is in a great place. There’s always a good shot [it could return].”

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

Other highlights from The CW’s exec session:

* Pedowitz confirmed that he is developing a Vampire DiariesOriginals-centric spin-off starring Joseph Morgan and Phoebe Tonkin. The exec also shot down buzz that Tonkin was circling Amazon, the network’s buzzy Wonder Woman pilot. “We haven’t thought about her in terms of Wonder Woman.” Speaking of which…

* “We’re waiting to see the script and are busy casting Diana,” said Pedowitz of Amazon, adding that this project has little in common with NBC’s ill-fated David E. Kelley-produced reboot. “I have not seen David’s project [but] this is an origination story [like] Smallville].”

* A retooled version of the Hunger Games-esque pilot The Selection remains in contention for next season. “The script just came in,” Pedowitz reported. “It’s very well done.”

* “We’re running all 13 episodes” of cancelled rookie medical drama Emily Owens M.D., said Pedowitz. “We’re very proud of the show. For whatever reason, we couldn’t get it fully sampled.”

* No decisions have been made on renewals for Nikita, 90210 and Hart of Dixie. But Pedowitz declared that he is “a big believer in giving fans a very satisfactory conclusion,” should any of the network’s long-running series get axed. “It’s something that we as a television industry need to do.”

* Regarding the fate of freshman drama Beauty and the Beast, “We’re very pleased with it creatively. It’s on par with Secret Circle in terms of total viewers. Based on the passion of fans, we think we have something [there].”

* The network’s in-the-works adaptation of Japanese flick Battle Royale is essentially dead.

Comments (129)

• If they keep Hart of Dixie, Nikita, and Beauty and the Beast, I’ll be a happy camper. I’m not worried about Arrow. It will get renewed.

Comment by Candice – January 13, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW never fails to disappoint. I hoped that the addition of Emily Owens MD would add some depth to the lineup, but the network has once again canceled a show that delivered without giving it a chance to find an audience.

Comment by Jan – January 13, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he also mentioned ‘Wunderland’ if anyone is wondering

“The script has come in. It’s in contention so we’ll see what happens with it one way or the other.” Pedowitz would add they’re planning to order “seven or eight pilots” this season with decisions coming in a couple of weeks.

Comment by Charlie – January 13, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having read The Selection, they have to stop comparing it to Hunger Games. Yes, girls from the various districts are chosen to compete, but they’re basically competing in “The Bachelor” over the prince. If you get cut, you go home safely and alive, and will probably get a good marriage just for being considered. No one dies.

It is a good book, it’s just really not like the Hunger Games.

Comment by madhatter360 – January 13, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please no to the Originals spin off, I like the chemistry between Klaus and Caroline too much. And I like Tonkin and all, but I don’t like her character at all.

Comment by Miranda – January 13, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personaly I hope 90210 comes back. I like HOD but I can take it or leave it.
    I am not watching Beauty and the Beast but if it is on par with Secret Circle and they keep BATB that just proves that they jumped the gun cancelling Secret Circle. They already indicated before that Ringer did way better than Emily Owens which did not even get a full season before it was cancelled!

Comment by sarah – January 14, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, I thought the media realized…but I guess not, so I’ll spell it out for you:
    SUPERNATURAL is going nowhere. The boys are signed thru Season 10, the show is winning awards left and right, it’s one of the cornerstones of the network, Pedowitz loves the show…..it will likely go BEYOND two more seasons. So can reporters please stop asking the same insane question? Good grief. This is a done deal, and has been since the CW got a president with a brain.

Comment by Jason – January 14, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good God I pray it doesn’t go beyond 2 seasons… it shouldn’t even go beyond this season as the writers lost their mojo completely. If Carver wants to go for 2 more seasons he’s gonna need a new team of writers coz I’ve never felt so bored with the show as much as i have been since S7. The focus of the show became about everyone else but the brothers, particularly Dean. This season had great premise but the execution so far is poor so why ruin the best show on TV any further. I swear it’s torturous to watch!

Comment by :Loli – January 14, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Stop watching, then. As easy as that.

Comment by Jon – January 19, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ll stop when I want to. Just coz I’m being critical about some aspects of the show doesn’t mean I should stop supporting it or not watch it at all. You have your take on it and I have mine.

Comment by :Loli – January 19, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, keep watching if you want, but let the people who love the show enjoy it.

Comment by Kyle – January 22, 2013 01:46 PM PDT
      • I disagree that the show has lost it’s focus. They cannot just keep doing “monster of the week” stories like they did the first three seasons, and beyond. But what’s missing is the heart – Bobby. It is hard to see the brothers falling apart all of the time without the ejit comments from Bobby to put them in their place. Cass is practically gone from the show…and with Bobby being gone, the Bros better re-bond soon. I suspect the reason Bobby and Cass are mostly gone (Bobby completely?) is money. The couldn’t afford Bobby, Cass and Crowley with the new salaries Dean and Sam are getting Still, I love that show and it still has a big unresolved issue: Lucifer in the cage. Eventually, they are going to have to tackle that.

Comment by Rob – February 7, 2013 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really looking forward to The Originals…if it’s done right. This season on TVD I felt like I was missing the old Klaus, then they brought him back for the last ep. I would totally watch The Originals. I feel like the original family was a concept that catapulted TVD into a new category. And then this season has been a huge let down in terms of usage. They need to bring back Elijah in a biiiig way. He is sorely missed, and the show kinda suffers without him. I mean…it suffers on its own because it doesn’t really have a focus lol. But it suffers more because of a lack of Elijah.
    I wanna see Klaus before he did his bad deeds, what actually made him crack. And more background for Elijah.

Comment by cowcowmeows – January 14, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God, I hope it is better than V Diaries. I had to give up on that show after season 2.

Comment by Rob – February 7, 2013 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still say those darn leviathans were the worst thing to happen to Supernatural (ok, second worst, after Kripke stepping down). But the show has gotten back on a better track since then. I’ll join the “10 seasons and a movie” movement. I’m really liking the darker, edgier turn the channel is taking, and the Originals spinoff and the wonder woman show would fit right into that (though I would miss Klaus on TVD). The Selection, however, since it is in fact NOT like the hunger games, I’m not so sure. It is futuristic though, so I’m intrigued. I hope BatB sticks around. I like that show. From what I skimmed of the comments, I say they keep Nikita and HOD and give 90210 a shortened goodbye.

Comment by Looks good to me – January 18, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would say it was good for Kripke to leave, he was just destroying the show since season 4, especially Sam’s character, I’m not saying Leviathans was the show’s best arc, but I hated season 4.

Comment by Jon – January 19, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SPN won 2 PCAs last year, and it won another 2 PCAs this year. The number of viewers has increased, and Jared and Jensen finally got some recognition by getting an invitation to the PCA. If Pedowitz cancels SPN, would be the worst mistake he could do for the CW network. If SPN’s gone, I’m done watching the CW.

Comment by Jon – January 19, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural hopefully will get a season 9 and 10 in which I strongly believe that it is highly likely because for it to go quicly now would not benefit the CW in any way, shape, or form because Supernatural and the Vampire Diaries and the new show Arrow are the only true series that keep the company going because what happened if those shows disappeared especially Supernatural because it is a veteran which needs it last two seasons 9 and 10 for their final stand but if they have more seasons than 10 then so be it because I love the show and for it to beat out other shows like the Walking Dead in the PCA’s this year in 2013 again means that people have decided and Mark Pedowitz knows he is a big fan and loves the show where it is right now with Arrow because those two shows bring in great audiences which is a great thing and Supernatural is getting better especially with the Henry Winchester episode and definitely the Trial and Error episode which brings in more things to come with the demon tablet!! I honeslty think that it will get renewed for both seasons 9 and 10 just to keep the fans in their seat and happy because the Vampire Diaries is too much like Twilight and Supernatural has many things to the show that brings great mythology and great suspense and exciting moments!! Fingers crossed!! and highly thinking and hopefull!! Love Supernatural for all those other Supernatural fans and who are part of the SPN family!!!!

Comment by Bradley Clark – January 26, 2013 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dude, please put some periods (.) in between your sentences. I can’t understand you otherwise.

Comment by Rob – February 7, 2013 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phoebe Tonkin is perfect for wonder woman though

Comment by Jay – January 29, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No one at the CW carrs about the fans nor fo they care to give a cancelled show a good finale. Think back to Girlfriends, The Game, Everybody Hates Chris, Aliens in America, Reaper, Melrose Place, Ringer, the secret Circle. Im sure there are more. Im just glad they are keeping Nikita, Arrow and Supernatural. 90210, as much as I eould like to get into the drama like the original, it’s run its course. TVD i think is fading fast… Look at the declining ratings. The Carrie Diarries is just not working for me. Cult I hope makes it and actualy turns out good. They should have weekend and summer programing just so they dnt cancell shows right away. And also more variey like comedys.

Comment by JJ – February 3, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by JJ – February 3, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really sad Emily Owens M.D. got canceled I loved that show. They should keep Hart of Dixie but I couldn’t care either way about 90210 its not that great anymore. But the should consider bringing back EOMD.

Comment by samantha – February 6, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, as long as Supernatural stays on, I don’t care what they do with the rest of the network! Go Winchesters! (And bring back Bobby)

Comment by Rob – February 7, 2013 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural has been my favorite tv show since 2005. It has a great story line. Emily Owens md should get another shot i like ot a lot better than nikita and 90210. Its not like hart of dixie they are both good shows different plots.

Comment by vonney – February 16, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post