What to Watch Sunday: Girls, Shameless and Three Other Premieres, Golden Globes and More

The Golden Globe Awards - Season 2013On TV this Sunday: Girls grab onto another season, say namaste to new Enlightened eps, the Gallaghers make their Shameless return, the Golden Globes fete Hollywood’s best and more. As a supplement to TVLine’s original features (linked within), here are 10 programs to keep on your radar.

PREVIEW | Once Upon a Time: Will Hook Shoot Down Rumplestiltskin’s Grand Plans?

8 pm The 70th Annual Golden Globes (NBC) | Parks and Recreation‘s Amy Poehler and 30 Rock‘s Tina Fey co-host the Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s annual paean to television, movies and free booze. (See what Fey and Poehler have planned!)

8:30 pm Bob’s Burgers (Fox) | Bob winds up on a nude beach, and we’re guessing it’s as disturbing as it sounds. Fred Armisen (Saturday Night Live) voices Tommy, a health inspector who blackmails the Belchers.

PREVIEW | Revenge Hot Shots: Ashley Returns by [Spoiler]‘s Side, Daniel Takes on Dylan Walsh

9 pm Girls (HBO) | Season 2 premiere: Hannah and new roommate Elijahgirls season 2 (The New Normal‘s Andrew Rannells) throw a housewarming party, Marnie gets a visit from her mom (The Good Wife‘s Rita Wilson) and Jessa returns from her honeymoon.

9 pm The Good Wife (CBS) | Elsbeth Tascioni (returning guest star Carrie Preston) is arrested, so Alicia, Will and Diane step up to help her; Peter gets conflicting advice from Eli and Jordan.

9 pm Shameless (Showtime) | Season 3 premiere: Frank wakes up in a place completely foreign to him: Juarez, Mexico. (Read preview!)

9 pm Masterpiece Classic (PBS) | Downton Abbey: The estate’s fate hinges on a letter from a dead man, Edith and Sir Anthony share a crucial moment and Mrs. Hughes confronts a crisis.

9:30 pm Enlightened (HBO) | Season 2 premiere: With Tyler’s help – and possibly that of a reporter (My Best Friend’s Wedding‘s Dermot Mulroney) — Amy aims to take down Abadonn Industries bigwigs.

RELATED | Your Scoop-Filled Guide to Shameless, Revenge and 36 More Returning Favorites

Episode 20110 pm House of Lies (Showtime) | Season 2 premiere: Marty and the pod adjust to the new Galweather & Stearn.

10 pm Happy Endings (ABC) | In “Kickball 2: The Kickening” — aka the “lost” episode from Season 2 — Alex convinces almost everyone (save for traitor Jane) to play on the kickball team her store is sponsoring for a city tournament. Get scoop on the episode (as given to us, like, seven months ago!).

10:30 pm Californication (Showtime) | Season 6 premiere: Charlie and Hank meet rocker Atticus Fetch, who wants to turn Hank’s book (well, actually the movie of Hank’s book) into a musical.

Hit the comments with your must-see picks from tonight’s lineup!

Comments (34)

• Very happy to have Shameless and Girls back.

Comment by Superhero – January 12, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GIRLS!

Comment by Russ – January 12, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what the hell tv! downton, girls, good wife, globes, shameless, and revenge all on at once?! my tivo can only record two things at once, give me a break!

Comment by adam – January 12, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hear ya…..we can only do 2 as well. I do Good Wife & Downton………..I watched, then fell asleep on Globes. However, can’t you watch the others on On Demand [I do] + HBO runs their shows @ several dif times/days. Come on girl…..do a little better planning ;)

Comment by jackie2830 – January 14, 2013 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Golden Globes
    Revenge

Comment by Nicole – January 12, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once upon a time!

Comment by Gilda – January 12, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OUAT, Revenge, and The Mentalist

Comment by Andy – January 12, 2013 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless and Girls in the same time slot…..I’ll probably have to watch Shameless and catch Girls later.

Comment by Kevin – January 12, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Golden Globes! I feel pretty secure I know what’s going to happen in all the TV categories (except those pesky supporting categories), but I am really perplexed as to what’s going on with the film awards this year. I keep changing my picks around. I finally saw Argo tonight so now I can be just as stunned as the rest of the world as to why the Oscars snubbed Affleck. I hope he wins tonight, he deserves it. I am also excited for Shameless and Girls, but I wish all these shows had waited a week to premiere or taken a week off. I can’t believe they’re trying to compete with the Golden Globes. My DVR can only handle so much, so I’ll be searching online for a lot of stuff on Monday. Go Seahawks!

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 12, 2013 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Golden Globes, Girls, and Enlightened. Going to be a great night!

Comment by Levi Junk – January 13, 2013 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, wow… Once, Revenge, Happy Endings, Apartment 23, Good Wife, Girls, House of Lies. May also sneak a peek at the Golden Globes, because I love Amy and Tina.

Comment by SJ – January 13, 2013 02:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all abc

Comment by ollie – January 13, 2013 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Shameless is back!!!

Comment by JJ – January 13, 2013 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless and Once Upon A Time.

Comment by Adam Bramble – January 13, 2013 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once & Downton!

Comment by Leslie – January 13, 2013 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Girls is so…mediocre. I don’t understand the enthusiasm. It’s not funny, or insightful, or groundbreaking, or even notable. When something isn’t entertaining at all, it should at least be doing something important. There is nothing important about Girls.

Comment by Dead – January 13, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hear what you’re saying. That’s also considering I watched it from day 1, only because it was a new show that followed something I was watching on showtime (Not cause of the hype, there was none). Also due to the fact that showtime is an extra channel so I try to give those shows a chance. I lasted 2 episodes before I gave up on the live viewing, and 2 more using OnDemand. All that being said, every point you mention is correct. There is nothing there. Besides all the jokes on her nudity, I felt it was a cheap ploy to keep viewers (and her man), and was not necessary. House of Lies blows this out of the water, that’s with 25% of the push given to this Appatow derivative.

Comment by Joanna – January 13, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Isn’t Girls on HBO?

Comment by Claire – January 13, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. I want entertainment, like Californication. Goofy, not real. Other world. Not show about my generation, bitching about everything.

Comment by Matt Smith – January 13, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enlightened and Shameless! This is a good day.

Comment by Sarah H – January 13, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOOTBALL

Comment by forwarddad – January 13, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time

Comment by Brandy – January 13, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes. They are finally airing last season’s Extra episode….Kickball 2: The Kickening tonight, Been looking forward to it for months now…..as well as a new DTtBiA23.

Comment by TheDude – January 13, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay golden globes, time to give awards to the wrong people again. i really hate awards season.
    somebody get kristen bell out of house of lies and give her a show to headline, please

Comment by Alan – January 13, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited to see what Marty and the pod will do with all the changes this season!

Comment by sara – January 13, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish abc would not run originals against the awards shows, this is what weakened housewives

Comment by Jake – January 13, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TINA + AMY
    TGW ( Elsbeth is back! Can’t wait to see her!)
    OUAT

Comment by Lucy – January 13, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS on Friday 11th January. I would have thought after such a long wait between series 9 and series 10 there would have been a better follow up of what actually happened. I felt there was something missing, please don’t get me wrong I actually really like this programme, but I think they could have added a bit more to the show.

Comment by Geoff Cobbett – January 13, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless, Girls & DVR Golden Globes, only watching for Tina & Amy.

Comment by Rebecca – January 13, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Carrie Preston! What an awesome character they have her play on The Good Wife. Just perfect for her. She does it so well.
    Once, Revenge, also.
    Perhaps The Golden Globes later, to fast-forwarding to and from Tina and Amy’s spots.

Comment by bobbie – January 13, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Golden Globes

OUAT and Revenge I’ll catch on ABC.com

Comment by Anna – January 13, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching the Globes and then DVRing everything else. I miss when networks aired reruns during the Globes.

Comment by daniel – January 13, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless, Girls & House of Lives. Yes! 3 of my faves.

Comment by Angie – January 13, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post