CBS Boss Talks Angus T. Jones Kerfuffle, HIMYM's Renewal, Jennifer Esposito's Blue Exit!

TWO AND A HALF MENAs expected, Angus T. Jones epic anti-Two and a Half Men rant this past fall was a hot topic at CBS’ portion of the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour Saturday in Pasadena.

CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler declared that the network “would like to have an 11th season” of Men — and yes, Angus T. Jones may very well be back. “We’d like him to be part of it next year,” she said. “I think he would like to come back, too. [Exec producer] Chuck [Lorre] would like him [back], Warner Bros. would… He made his public apology and we’ve moved on. He’s [back on set] next week.

“This is a happy cast,” she later added. “These are happy people. We had a little bit of a glitch, but… what else is new? The kid’s 19 years old. I have a 24-year-old. Between the ages of 19 and 24, there’s been plenty of things my kid has come out and said that I wish he hadn’t. But I think the bottom line is cooler heads prevailed. He’s been a beloved member of that cast for years and years and years.”

FYI: Tassler also noted that there’s no deal in place for Ashton Kutcher to return… yet.

Other highlights from CBS’ exec session:.

RELATED | CBS Announces Return Dates For Unforgettable and Big Brother, Premiere of Stephen King’s Under the Dome

* Regarding Jennifer Esposito’s controversial exit from Blue Bloods, “We’re sorry to see her go,” said Tassler. “We tried to resolve it. It didn’t quite work out. We wish her the best.”

* How I Met Your Mother‘s official Season 9 renewal announcement is imminent. “I will be very happy to report in a very few days that things will be resolved,” confirmed Tassler. “We’re very confident and excited that things will work out. Almost everything is completed.” Asked whether Season 9 would be the show’s swan song, Tassler said, “It’s funny, we talked the other day [about], ‘[Will] people watch the show beyond knowing the mother?’ I bet there are a lot of people that would continue to watch after that. But right now, it’d be the end as designed by [co-creators] Carter [Bays] and Craig [Thomas], and I wouldn’t want to even attempt to undermine what their creative goal was.”

* Elementary was “the best choice” for the post-Super Bowl slot,” said Tassler. “We felt it was a better fit in terms of appealing to all the viewers.”

* Tassler gave a shout-out to Rules of Engagement (returning Monday, Feb. 4) for being the “best utility warrior on television.”

* Tassler confirmed that Eddie Murphy makes an appearance in CBS’ in-the-works Beverly Hills Cop series and added, “He wants to come back multiple times.”

1. Jerri says:

Uh…”We tried to resolved it.” ? They tried to resolve it, maybe…? (no -d at the end)

Why the move for NCIS Los Angeles?

• Jeff Brune says:

Didn’t try too hard or hard enough by the looks of it..All we as fans could gather was she was let go due to a debilitating but curable disease which sounds like to us you took some sort of hissy fit because she needed some time to take care of it..Uncalled for..

• Jill says:

Celiac is not curable. I know people who have died due to complications of it. It is an auto-immune disease, like Diabetes, Lupus, MS, etc. Manageable, yes. Curable, no. I should know!!

• Bobbi says:

Did they discuss finding a permanent replacement for “Danny’s” partner? One that actually has a pulse? The people they have filling in are just awful. I’m hoping they will realize that and make a change before the next season!

2. Tiffany says:

I read the date information on Big Brother multiple times and it still doesn’t make sense. Wednesday, July 1 doesn’t exist, so that’s part of it… can you fix please?

Can’t wait to officially hear that HIMYM is back for one more season but even though I really love the show, I’m honestly hoping they say it’s the final season. I realize that all of Ted’s stories on some level are about how he met the mother, but it’s starting to get ridiculous – especially with Ted being almost a non essential character so far this season. If the mother is, as rumored, Barney’s sister, then yeah, we had to see how Barney and Robin got together as part of how it all happened, I get it. But maybe we could have the final season actually be about Ted trying to win her heart and how they get married?

• crystal says:

I want that to be the final season too. We have spent all this time wondering who the mom is. i would love to get to know she ans watch the courtship. Creaters please think about this.

3. Sam says:

I really would have expected Jones to talk about how 2.5 Men is just a crappy show. But to rail against it for being “dirty” just proves that child actors really do get messed up by their fame.

• Ron says:

Uhm or religion. He didn’t start spouting crazy crap until after he joined the cult/religion. He’es been famous a long time.

4. Jenna says:

Ugh. This is why CBS infuriates me. Good at business decisions, but terrible at creativity. Most of their shows should wrap up in a creative way when their time is done. The net keeps them on for $$$$$$. Yeah, I know, it is a business, but it still irks me as a viewer.

5. Sarah says:

So, does that mean we won’t get to meet the mother until next season? If so, that’s such bull. I was hoping we’d meet her by the end of this season and then watch Ted woo her next season.

• Alan says:

you aren’t the only one who got annoyed reading that. i would watch the show after the mother is introduced and i want her to be a main character next season. ugh

• Lee Fowler says:

Yeah, I was under the impression that we were promised a mother reveal during the eighth season. I was hoping we’d meet her at the end of this season, and during the ninth we’d witness her and Ted’s relationship developing.

• Sheila says:

This whole thing is gonna turn out to be a ruse, right? There isn’t a mother at all and Ted just cornered some random kids.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Let’s see how Bays/Thomas work things out this May with the season 8 finale. I still think they will reveal the mother at the end of this season [in May], and then the mother will turn up [on-off] on the series final season (9) next fall thru May 2014. I think Nina was trying to answers questions at TCA as best she could without giving away too much and without stepping on any toes – they are still working out the final details of the season 9 renewal.

“I wouldn’t want to even attempt to undermine what they’re creative goal was.” Nina was trying to be careful in her statements. I still believe we’ll see the woman under the yellow umbrella (who she is) at the end of this season at Farhampton – the season 8 final episode, and then the details of her and her relationship w/Ted will be detailed in season 9.

6. tvfan says:

So, Nina Tassler is basically telling us the HIMYM producers intend at this point to end the series with the mother reveal, not beyond? I don’t think I wanted that spoiler yet.

• JeniLee says:

I think thats always been assumed. The show is how i MET your mother not how i fell in love with your mother.

BUT i’d prefer we meet her this season. Regardless im done this yeae and i’ll just watch the series finale. I never laugh out loud anymore

• Alan says:

do you know how many tv shows go on after the title doesn’t make sense any more, having it be called “how i met your mother” after the mother is already introduced would be just a minor one.
        for example blake’s 7, blake wasn’t on the show after season 2. buffy the vampire slayer spends most of her time slaying things that aren’t vampires. the desperate housewives stopped being housewives and got jobs. burn notice has nothing to do with the burn notice any more.
        i could carry on with the examples but i think its best i stop before this comment gets too long.

7. forwarddad says:

CBS is on the path to destroying fan favorite Blue Bloods. The fact that Jackie, Danny’s partner is gone is bad enough but the storylines since are weak and there is no continuity to them. Tom Selleck is barely used, the son Jamie is a spineless character and Erin is being wasted. They are destroying this show.

8. Ram510 says:

Wow is that literally all she had to say about Rules of Engagement?!? CBS doesn’t really how a crap about this show, the people involved or its fans. I guess, can’t wait for Feburary 4th, wish this show was on a network that gave a damn.
    As for Blue Bloods, they are clearly getting a 4th season so why not get back to what made this show good treat it as the last hurray. I think Danny’s partner should be a guy who’s just as no nonsense as he is. Make the show more about the family and not so mcu about these boring cases

9. jan says:

I think Jennifer Esposito was a great partner for Danny and I think CBS is making a big mistake for not allowing her to get her Celiac under control and letting her come back. She complimented Danny’s character very well.

10. sarah says:

I did enjoy Jennifer on Blue Bloods, however I still love the show and will keep watching!