NBC Orders Two Pilots, Including Jason Katims-Produced Comedy About a Boy

About a Boy NBC PilotNBC has ordered two pilots, including a single-camera comedy adaptation of About a Boy produced by Parenthood and Friday Night Lights exec producer Jason Katims.

The other project, Joe, Joe and Jane, is a multi camera comedy written by Joe Port and Joe Weissman (The Office, Just Shoot Me) about an author caught in an ongoing war between two needy, flawed people — his wife and his co-author/BFF.

About a Boy, based on the book and subsequent 2002 film starring Hugh Grant and Nicholas Hoult (pictured), centers on (as you know) the relationship between a man-child and the young boy who moves in next door.

1. Matt says:

Wasn’t Riggins and the neighbor boy Katims take on About A Boy?

• BL says:

As soon as I heard that Katims was behind this, I instantly thought (and prayed) that he may consider his friend Taylor Kitsch for the lead role. TK needs to not be a Blockbuster movie actor. He is much better suited to television.

• terrip says:

That lasted about 1/4 of a season – I’d love to see this work out.

2. Josh says:

Joe, Joe and Jane sounds like that show with the two friends where one was gay and the other straight.

3. Billy says:

Joe Joe and Jane sounds a lot like Partners…not sure how I feel about that since I liked Partners…will have to wait and see who they cast

4. JC says:

Will and Marcus did not live next door to each other in either the book or the movie About A Boy.

5. Jon says:

Neither one sounds very promising. It’s been too long since About a Boy came out to give the series any positive momentum. Besides it wasn’t a very good movie.
    Joe, Joe and Jane does sound too much like Partners to be any good. Might work better as a drama than a comedy.

6. Ram510 says:

Please NBC please keep Guys With Kids!

7. Drewer says:

So between “About a Boy,” FNL, and “Parenthood,” does Katims only make TV shows based on movies?

8. BTSCelebs says:

Will any of these projects be filmed in Chicago?

9. Britta Unfiltered says:

I loved About a Boy, but I also loved the fact that he grew up in the end and learned to stop being such a man child. A TV series about a perpetual man-child with a Peter Pan complex does not sound interesting to me at all. Besides, it was already such a great movie. Let’s not ruin the memory.

• John says:

Well, give Katims a little credit here. He seems to be an expert at taking film premises and turning them into interesting, mature storytelling that dodges cliché effectively (or employs it so well that you don’t care).

10. Anna says:

Since I really liked the book AND after that the movie (which is rare enough), I don’t really know if I want a “About a Boy” show or if I don’t. The casting would have to be PERFECT, because the Will-character could easily become cartoonish and/or really creepy otherwise…