Fangtastic News: The Vampire Diaries May Spawn Klaus-Centric Spin-Off The Originals

THE VAMPIRE DIARIESThis spin-off idea is truly Original.

The CW is developing The Originals, a The Vampire Diaries spin-off featuring the vampire/werewolf hybrid Klaus (played by Joseph Morgan), our sister site Deadline reports.

PHOTOS | Vampire Diaries Channels The Breakfast Club! Plus, Damon Coaches Jeremy

The April 25 episode of the hit CW series, which will be penned by executive producer Julie Plec, will serve as the backdoor pilot for the potential series. In it, Klaus returns the French Quarter of New Orleans, a supernatural melting pot that he helped build centuries ago, and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel.

Phoebe Tonkin will reprise her role as recently introduced werewolf Hayley in the special installment.

While discussing Klaus’ evolution, Plec told TVLine that he “will continue to be a very complicated character. Much like Damon in the first couple seasons, when he feels backed up against the wall, he lashes out in very, very destructive ways. It makes it impossible to forgive. And yet, the redemption of Klaus as a character-long arc is something we always talk about.”

If it’s ordered to series, The Originals could air as early as next season.

1. Sam says:

Congrats to Joseph on this!!!

And I absolutely want Daniel, Claire, and Nathaniel to join this show. Why is is called ‘Originals’ with only one Original?

Also…can Stefan and Caroline come too? lol their relationships with Klaus are many times the best things about the episodes…IMO.

• Amy says:

YESSS to that . . . Stefan and Caroline need to join Klaus in New Orleans! Especially Stefan!
      If Klaus leaves for New Orleans I won’t be able to get any Klefan! The chemistry between those two are insane!

2. Isaac says:

Maybe now he can finally go away on the main show. He’s long overstayed his welcome.

3. s says:

Hey, look at it this way with Klaus possibly out of the picture we can FINALLY get Katherine back! Katherine has been the best villain on tvd so far IMO and she is very missed.

• Fran says:

Thank you for saying this! Katherine needs to come back. I can’t stand that Julie keeps saying that Katherine won’t be back while Klaus is around. It’s ridiculous. Not to mention- why exactly is Klaus still around?

4. Jason says:

Awesome!! Would love all the originals to be involved. Especially his sister!!! Promises to be a very dark series!!!

5. Alex says:

I love Klaus! I’d watch for sure.

6. kevin says:

Awesome! I hope this means now the execs can focus more on the main trio rather than the side characters like the originals.

7. liliana says:

I can’t believe in this!! A show with originals, what a boring show will be, not going to watch. Hate Klaus so much, i only like Elijah, i hope it get cancelled!! Julie Plec with these originals ruined TVD so maybe it’s good to get rid of them, so TVD could have a better villain and different stories! Personally i don’t get the fuzz about Klaus he is psychopath the way he killed tyler’s mom, it was murder, he drowned her, not even a vampire way of kill! And this is totally fan service, Klaus don’t deserve redemption or love! Klaroline is delusional ship without a future, so the only thing positive about this stupid spin off is the originals will be gone for good of tvd!! BTW, Caroline will be in tvd so your ship basically won’t happen! hahahahaha

• Kirsty says:

Does Damon and Stefan deserve love and redemption? Does Rebekah, Elijah and Kol deserve redemption? If so then Klaus deserves it just the same.

8. DarkWhisper- says:

I was so happy when i first heard of this, and then i hear, that of all people friggin HAYLEY is going too!?!? what what what!?!? way to poop on it before its begun D:
    #devastated

9. kavyn says:

I’m actually stunned at all the positive comments for this spin-off idea… I watch TVD but honestly this’ll just make me less interested. If they would cancel TVD and move Katherine to the new show I’d be much more interested but with the two shows airing together, it’s a bit excessive…

• kavyn says:

Also I don’t understand the focus of the show. Is it focusing on Klaus (and the other originals’) past? If so that would imply that Klaus would still be on TVD, which to those who hate Klaus is like adding gasoline to a fire.

10. Laura says:

WHAT? A spin off means their probably going to have to kill Klaus on the vampire diaries? ANd that means no more Klaroline? And Klaroline are the only reason I watch the show because the Damon/Elena/Stefan triangle has just gotten old….

11. Kresh says:

Lol one thing that I just remembered is that there is 100000% insurance that Klaus will never die on this show LOL again.

• Kirsty says:

I don’t think he ever will be killed on the show. If he dies, dies so will basically every single character on the show. Yeah they wlll disacasste him or something but Klaus will never actually be killed off unless they find a way around it. so I think your 1000000% chance of him never dying is 100% correct :)

12. Shari says:

I really don’t drink the Klaus cool-aid. SO sick of the obsession with him on TVD. I would happily welcome him getting his own series so I wouldn’t have to see him in Mystic Falls ever again.

13. Katie says:

This is going to be a disaster !! Without Klaus in TVD all the Klaus/Klaroline fans will stop watching the show and TVD will lose viewers and the whole thing will be cancelled !! And why put Hayley in the show and not Caroline ?? What has Hayley have to do with The Originals ?? I can’t help but think this show is already a disaster and it hasn’t even been aired yet. Julie Plec, you are setting yourself up for failure !

• Fran says:

Dear lord, I hope they’re aren’t that many Caroline and Klaus fans. I understand pretty much everyone on this show has evil tendacies and have done bad things, but the two of them together would be beyond disturbing. It’s bad enough that Elena forgives Stefan and Damon for the many awful things they have done.

• 444444D4e4f says:

I don’t think Klaroline fans could make an impact on the show’s numbers. That hardly ever happens, even with bigger couple fanbases.

14. Amelie says:

If it means that we’ll be rid of Klaus than I’m all for it. The whole originals story is getting old.

• Kirsty says:

No it’s not there is still a lot we don; know about them and this show gives them a chance to do that without TVD becoming all about them…maybe with this spin off show we get to see more orginal family moments while over in TVD people like Bonnie and Matt get more air time

15. Sanni says:

Only way is be happy is if claire holt stars as well…but also stays on tve

16. shuayb says:

Oh good lord! I guess I should have seen this coming. That stupid idiot Julie Plec has had a hard on for Klaus and company ever since he was introduced. Its actually pathetic. She must be sacked and they need someone else to run the show. So over her stupid story lines.

17. Adam says:

This is one of the worse shows on t.v. it’s amazing it has lasted this long. I think the only saving grace is that it is on the CW and a has a big tween fan base.

18. Gerald says:

Great Idea. Get Klaus off teh Vampire Diaries and bring in a new Big Bad and the rating for TVD will shoot back up again. Klaus is the worst part of the latest season. And As much as I love this universe I might just be inclined to Not watch this Spin Off.

19. Nessa says:

They are going to kill TVD with an original Spin-off. I wonder if they haven’t realized that by now. The Originals are the only truly interesting and thrilling characters on that show by now. The whole ‘Elena-is-the-center-of-the-universe-and-the-salvatores-will-forever-bfight-for-her’ got really boring. But if there is a spin-off they better be putting Caroline and the other Original-siblings somewhere in there, too. Why spend two seasons in building a complex and exciting kind-of relationship between the characters if they decide to seperate them again without some actual action. And what the hell is Hayley doing on that show -.- Away with her, pleasssee.

20. El_Devious11 says:

Ok I hate to burst a lot of bubbles but it would be impossible for Caroline to go with Klaus to the new show because she wouldnt be born yet according to the TVD timeline… but I wouldnt mind seeing the new show if it had Elijah in it, I wish they gave him more of a role on TVD but hopefully the new show will focus on him as well… not to happy Haley will be there Im not sure I like her charector so maybe they will give her a good backround story to make some sense of why she is so crazy now… But on another note I am a total Delena fan and I hope even after the break the bond there will still be a chance for them, considering that they have done everything possible to keep Elena and Stephan together and it has just not worked lets give Damon a chance since Stephan is such a crybaby all the time maybe we need a little adventure!!!!!

21. Elle says:

I always hoped Caroline would get her own spinoff she is such an amazing character and if they took her off to college and had her as a vampire hunter sort of like a female blade. Then bring in some good love interests and new college friends. Bring Tyler and have Bonnie guest star. Would have been amazing, the originals are great villains but personally I don’t feel they are right for their own show.

22. Jay says:

I really do see the resemblance between Buffy and TVD particular how Spike dated the blonde cheerleader, Harmony. Caroline ( former cheerleader) has a thing with Damon, in season one.
    I think that The Originals could be a success, and could have been introduced as early as mid season 3. The problem with TVD3 was that it focused too much on Klaus and his siblings and not enough on core characters like Bonnie ( what even happened with that?).
    The Originals, likely will fall under an Angel archetype, a spinoff of a popular vampire show except this time more “male-oriented” and darker.I’m thinking a cross between Supernatural,TVD and Angel.

23. lucy says:

More screen time for Joseph Morgan? YES PLEASE! He’s definitely my favourite character on TVD at the minute, he’s even overtaken Damon, something I thought would never happen! Will definitely be watching this.

24. Kirsty says:

This Spin off is probably the best idea that has ever happened. Klaus is an interesting character and his back story and redemption story will be good to be explored properly.

The orginals have a good family dynamic which you don’t hardly see on TVD so that will be good to watch.